Jump to content


76mm US Guns are worthless


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

Poll: 76mm US Guns are worthless (133 members have cast votes)

How do you feel about the 76mm on tiers 5 and 6?

  1. Good (56 votes [42.11%])

    Percentage of vote: 42.11%

  2. Average (55 votes [41.35%])

    Percentage of vote: 41.35%

  3. Worthless (22 votes [16.54%])

    Percentage of vote: 16.54%

Vote Hide poll

Deadeye031 #1 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:30

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20 battles
  • 241
  • Member since:
    02-22-2012
The 76mm gun has got to be the worst gun for its main tiers. I mean, this thing penetrates virtually nothing. On a tier 5, it's average at best but on a tier 6, that has to fight tier 7 and 8 heavies, it's apsolutely worthless. Even point blank range at a Type 59, I couldn't penetrate anywhere; not the sides, not the lower plate, nothing. He was capping and I couldn't do a thing to him with my E2's 76mm. :(

A tiger, side on, aiming for his engine area, practically flat. hits and the diamond flashes white but no damage? :angry:

I never liked derp guns because they take forever to load, but at least the 105mm does something to these tanks (granted it's anywhere from 20 to 100 damage but at least it's something). I'm switching to it permanently on my E2 and evaluating it for permanence on my M10. The gun is godly on a t40, but on the tier 5 and 6 US tanks, pointless against anything bigger than a medium; and heavies are what this Matchmaker has me fighting 90% of the time.

The gun needs a buff or something, it's just not acceptable in its current form.

thank you, kind sirs, for reading this brief rant. :Smile_honoring:

If you have any tips, whatsoever, for this gun, let me know. I can't find a reason anymore to bother with this peashooter.

EDIT: After finally Unlocking the M1A2, for some reason, despite having virtually the same stats as the M1A1, with exception to the rate of fire, it just seems to do SOOOO much more damage. Is there some kind hidden buff this gun has that I just don't see in the given numbers? I mean, I'm penetrating and killing tanks I had no chance against before with the M1A1. What is going on?

FatttyReborn #2 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:37

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 219
  • Member since:
    03-06-2012
The 76mm are very high RoF. I love mine on my Chaffee.

Auto-aim and circle around them. Scream "SPAM SPAM SPAMMMMMM" as you unleash 3 shells while they only fire 1. Sure it will bounce a little bit, but no more than any other guns.

Comrade_Zhukov #3 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:37

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 9389 battles
  • 932
  • Member since:
    04-18-2011
Aim for weakspots.  Once you know where to hit a tiger, you can kill it incredibly fast.
My favourite gun in the game is the M1A2, btw.

HOTA_CHATON #4 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:38

    Major

  • Players
  • 10375 battles
  • 9,466
  • [-BAT-] -BAT-
  • Member since:
    09-28-2011
No worse than the QF6Pdr and the gun on the Matilda.  I score decent on them, not the best but decent.

Atayu #5 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:41

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 12760 battles
  • 727
  • [-EOJ-] -EOJ-
  • Member since:
    04-10-2011
The 76 is a great gun, With the easy-8 with the 76 I have pulled off 2 shooting a type-59 more then once. Simple first shot goes into the front of track whatever side will turn his right to you. Then 2nd shot into lower ammo rack (easiest 2 pen) he blows up.
You do really have to aim with the gun shooting at tier 8 or higher but it can pen tier 10's if you hit them right. I find it a much more reliable gun for pen then i do the 100 on the type-59. And on the chance it dose bounce it is reloaded in just over 2 sec with the tank built right. It can shoot as fast as the little amx 13-75 but without the clip reload time.
So nope no way is that gun not preforming well.

Mr_0norman #6 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:46

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6330 battles
  • 132
  • Member since:
    04-14-2011
I love the 76mm guns, especially on a tank with as much mobility as the easy 8 it's one of my favorite guns.

smiley119 #7 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:48

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 22193 battles
  • 2,235
  • Member since:
    11-10-2010
The general rule of thumb when using the 76 is FLANK you opponents till they're dead ... yes it will bounce but VS the 80 mm of the tiger even if the 1st shot bounces the second one should go through ...

IMO the E2 is more suited with the 105 it'll train you for using the 90 mm on both the M6 and the T20  :Smile_great:

Frankenstien #8 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:57

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 6448 battles
  • 39
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011
So true..... +1 for you good sir

View PostAtayu, on Mar 07 2012 - 01:41, said:

The 76 is a great gun, With the easy-8 with the 76 I have pulled off 2 shooting a type-59 more then once. Simple first shot goes into the front of track whatever side will turn his right to you. Then 2nd shot into lower ammo rack (easiest 2 pen) he blows up.
You do really have to aim with the gun shooting at tier 8 or higher but it can pen tier 10's if you hit them right. I find it a much more reliable gun for pen then i do the 100 on the type-59. And on the chance it dose bounce it is reloaded in just over 2 sec with the tank built right. It can shoot as fast as the little amx 13-75 but without the clip reload time.
So nope no way is that gun not preforming well.


__gabriel__ #9 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:57

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 16055 battles
  • 5,930
  • [VILIN] VILIN
  • Member since:
    07-18-2010
It's not the gun that's worthless.

It's tier 5 and 6.

PaladinBlue #10 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 01:58

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6586 battles
  • 179
  • Member since:
    04-19-2011
You just have to fight specific ways with the 76s. They are not brawler-style guns. They're flankers. The M1A2 especially fires like a buzzsaw with a good crew, and I am able to flank and kill most tier 8 tanks, though sometimes I do have to aim in specific places (I have gotten so close to a TD that my gun wasn't able to shoot in many places it could pen, so I had to reposition). Being on US tanks, there's also another advantage if you have decent turret traverse: they're one of the only guns you can fire accurately on the move. You might have to be fairly close, but I have successfully outrun a heavy's turret while I chewed through his HP with the E8's M1A2.

dumas1 #11 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 02:02

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 5255 battles
  • 250
  • Member since:
    02-06-2012
Poking at the numbers in the wiki, 128mm penetration at tier 5/6 isn't too shabby and accuracy is also fairly good. Damage is a bit on the low side, but it's a fair chunk out of most tanks around that tier. And, as pointed out earlier, they can fire just as fast as the infamous French autoloaders. And it's sustained fire: no need to hide for half a minute to reload a drum, just throw a round every three seconds for the whole match. Oh, and add a vertical stabilizer at tier 6 and it gets even better.

Good positioning and careful aiming makes the 76mm guns viable against most targets the Sherman family faces. I've faced down and seriously damaged four tanks at once in the Jumbo with the M1A2. With a little help from teammates and some cover, of course.

The M6 heavy is another story. It's just plain puny for a heavy tank at any tier.

Edit to add: The M1A2 seriously falls behind in the upper tiers. I don't think anyone's going to stick with it for long on the T20 on up.

blackhorse23 #12 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 02:15

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 19517 battles
  • 13
  • [11_3S] 11_3S
  • Member since:
    06-11-2011
I love the M1A2 gun. Its awesome, I have no problems taking out the higher tiers with it. I really love the way you can machine gun your opponents death with it.

commanche65 #13 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 02:19

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 3443 battles
  • 109
  • Member since:
    11-23-2011
That is BS. I have the 76mm on my M4 Sherman, and I love it! it is even better than the 105mm
i was replying to the first post. i meant that it was ridiculous

Deadeye031 #14 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 02:38

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20 battles
  • 241
  • Member since:
    02-22-2012
Maybe it's the tank. Just did a couple more rounds and with the 105, I actually did pretty good. Maybe the E2 is just more suited to brawling and the 105mm is a better gun for that kind of work.

del1001295635 #15 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 02:42

    Major

  • Players
  • 13036 battles
  • 8,029
  • Member since:
    09-22-2011
Well, I haven't had much success on the E2.  But the M1A2 is pretty good on the E8 if you get a vertical stabilizer.  You have insane accuracy on the move, so you can easily shoot people while flanking and moving at medium range.  It takes some getting used to, though.

The problem is that a tank needs either speed or penetration, and it can compensate one using the other.  The E2 has neither.  But the M1A2 is a good gun on fast tanks.

Deadeye031 #16 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 03:31

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20 battles
  • 241
  • Member since:
    02-22-2012
I have an apology to make: The M1A2 is actually a damn good gun. In 2 matches I was just in. In fact I literally came from the second just now, I used the M1A2 for the first time. I don't know whether it was luck or what, but the M1A2 feels worlds different from the M1A1.

I WAS ACTUALLY PENETRATING THE FRONT OF A TIGER AND LATER IN THAT BATTLE ACTUALLY KILLED THE GUY!!! :Smile_honoring::Smile-playing::Smile-izmena:  

To make sure it wasn't some kind of fluke, I went in another match. In that match, which I was just in, I lit a Type 59 on fire with one hit. I couldn't believe it. this gun actually redeemed itself.  :Smile_great:

I take back that the 76mm is worthless. Instead, the M1A1 is worthless but the M1A2 is actually pretty good (And it fires like a machine gun, 3.33 seconds at my current crew level).

How is this possible?

Atayu #17 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 17:30

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 12760 battles
  • 727
  • [-EOJ-] -EOJ-
  • Member since:
    04-10-2011

View PostDeadeye031, on Mar 07 2012 - 03:31, said:

I have an apology to make: The M1A2 is actually a damn good gun. In 2 matches I was just in. In fact I literally came from the second just now, I used the M1A2 for the first time. I don't know whether it was luck or what, but the M1A2 feels worlds different from the M1A1.

I WAS ACTUALLY PENETRATING THE FRONT OF A TIGER AND LATER IN THAT BATTLE ACTUALLY KILLED THE GUY!!! :Smile_honoring::Smile-playing::Smile-izmena:  

To make sure it wasn't some kind of fluke, I went in another match. In that match, which I was just in, I lit a Type 59 on fire with one hit. I couldn't believe it. this gun actually redeemed itself.  :Smile_great:

I take back that the 76mm is worthless. Instead, the M1A1 is worthless but the M1A2 is actually pretty good (And it fires like a machine gun, 3.33 seconds at my current crew level).

How is this possible?

Great to see someone that looks at what people said and goes back and rechecks things and finds they were wrong and let the other people involved know so others can see the information for the future.

Thompson153 #18 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 17:56

    Major

  • Players
  • 17042 battles
  • 4,809
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

View PostDeadeye031, on Mar 07 2012 - 03:31, said:

I have an apology to make: The M1A2 is actually a damn good gun. In 2 matches I was just in. In fact I literally came from the second just now, I used the M1A2 for the first time. I don't know whether it was luck or what, but the M1A2 feels worlds different from the M1A1.

I WAS ACTUALLY PENETRATING THE FRONT OF A TIGER AND LATER IN THAT BATTLE ACTUALLY KILLED THE GUY!!! :Smile_honoring::Smile-playing::Smile-izmena:  

To make sure it wasn't some kind of fluke, I went in another match. In that match, which I was just in, I lit a Type 59 on fire with one hit. I couldn't believe it. this gun actually redeemed itself.  :Smile_great:

I take back that the 76mm is worthless. Instead, the M1A1 is worthless but the M1A2 is actually pretty good (And it fires like a machine gun, 3.33 seconds at my current crew level).

How is this possible?
You have come across the reason why my E8 will ALWAYS have a place in my garage. 100% crew, rammer, vents and vertical stabilizer on mine. I even beat a Lorraine in mine (true story, I just hid my hull behind a dead tank and proceeded to machine gun him to death. He only got 1 hit on me, the others bounced [:o] or missed). Accuracy is fairly good, but it's the RoF on this thing that makes it so good. Any more penetration would probably make it overpowered lol.

SawaAzusa #19 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 18:26

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 6952 battles
  • 90
  • [MUP] MUP
  • Member since:
    03-17-2011

View PostThompson153, on Mar 07 2012 - 17:56, said:

You have come across the reason why my E8 will ALWAYS have a place in my garage. 100% crew, rammer, vents and vertical stabilizer on mine. I even beat a Lorraine in mine (true story, I just hid my hull behind a dead tank and proceeded to machine gun him to death. He only got 1 hit on me, the others bounced [:o] or missed). Accuracy is fairly good, but it's the RoF on this thing that makes it so good. Any more penetration would probably make it overpowered lol.
and if you can't pen just machine gun them with HE and wait for a fire to start  :)

Thompson153 #20 Posted Mar 07 2012 - 19:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 17042 battles
  • 4,809
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

View Postpoil333, on Mar 07 2012 - 18:26, said:

and if you can't pen just machine gun them with HE and wait for a fire to start  :)
Or machine gun them and hear "critical hit" every 2.75 seconds ;)