• This topic is locked This topic is locked
200 replies to this topic

iamablocker #1 Posted Mar 09 2012 - 08:44

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles

POPULAR

Announcment!!!
This is a mere guide on how to install mods, not a listing of mods that are compatible with 7.1.1

For any compatibility notes, please visit the mods' relevant thread/site.

Hi,

I have noticed that many of us are rather miffed at how to add mods to the client in the current 7.1.1 version.

It just so happens that while WoT NA Client was still in version 7.1, WoT SEA and RU Clients are already of the 7.1.1 standard, and WoT Test is of 7.2 So, an opportunity has arisen to try and test the new system- it was time to compose a guide.

After a few moments spent tinkering, I have finally Managed to craft this Idiot-proof guide to installing mods post 7.1.1 and beyond, using both copypasta and JSGME.

Here's a Video Guide if you don't like reading.

=====

The Basics:

What makes 7.1.1 so special?

7.1.1 introduces a new way that the client reads files, from a huge repository of files within the \res folder in the previous 7.1 version, to a set of neatly packed and ‘encrypted’ “Packages, which not only makes the files more orderly, but somehow semi-secure from accidental modification. It also introduces a one-stop-location for adding modifications to the game client, such as skins, OTM and the like.

So how do I get started?

First of all, we need to understand what had changed between 7.1 and 7.1.1.

Here is what was added to the client, the /res_mods folder.
Posted Image

From Version 7.1.1 onwards, this folder is the designated location for any modifications to the game, skins, OTM, sights, etc.

Upon opening the /res_mods folder, we see another folder with the version number in it (in this case 7.1.1), and inside of it is a readme file that says...

"Dear players, this folder is designed for installation of game modifications (MODs) of World of Tanks."

Posted Image

This version folder is where you would place all the relevant modified files in order to enable the particular mod. In simple words, this version folder is now the equivalent of the old /res folder of versions past.

Be wary that for each time that the client undergoes a version change, the /res_mods folder would add a folder with the version number, so before updating, be sure to make a backup of your mods and once updated to the latest version, try and move them to the new folder.

Also note that certain mods, like sound modifications, would cause the client to render only the sounds that are added to the folder, and not the rest of sound sets. This is a known issue and a workaround has been made for it. Thanks to Amade and locastan for the information.

So how do I mod tank?

If you have been a good boy and have managed to backup your mods or specifically the contents of your modded /res folder, you can simply copy and paste everything inside of the /res folder into the /res_mods/version folder, where the readme file is. Take note that this step is also a workaround of the “missing sounds and files” that sometimes plague some mods.

This means that you basically recreate the folder structure of your mods inside the /res_mods folder.

Please copy the contents of your old /res folder, not copy the whole /res folder into the /res_mods folder

(Sorry I had to do such exaggeration but the more i look at the ones having problems, the more i notice that most of them do not notice what the picture intended to do.)

Here’s a quick demonstration:
Posted Image

Take note that some mods might no longer work with the version change, please consult your mod creator for compatibility information.

Depending on the mod, restart or switch tanks to apply the changes- though I would prefer restarting the client to make sure nothing is broken.

If you managed to successfully add your mods in, you would see the results almost immediately.

Posted Image

Now for those people who have been bad and have forgotten to back up their /res folder, here’s a quick guide on how to unpack the stock files into the /res_mods/version folder.

First up, locate your world of tanks install and go to the /res/packages folder.

Posted Image

Open the corresponding package (for example, the USA Vehicles folder), using any file compression utility. (WinZip, WinRar 7-Zip, etc).

Posted Image

Extract the files from the package to the /res_mods/version folder.

Posted Image

Repeat if needed with other packages, merge if needed.

Take note that you can still copy the contents of the /res folder, particularly /audio, /gui, /scripts and /text into the /res_mods/version folder.

Posted Image

You can then treat the /res_mods/version folder as if it were the usual /res folder.

=====

For people that use JSGME:

Please pay attention to the changes to the file tree

Posted Image

Basically, you need to do the following steps:

- Deactivate your mod.
- Open the folder of the mod.
- Rename the /res folder into /res_mods.
- Open the now renamed folder and create a new folder with the current version (in the demonstration pic’s case 7.1.1) and place the other folder inside.
- Reactivate and check if the mod works.

Take note that the same quirks and oddities will prevail as with normal copypasta modders.

There you have it. Enjoy your mods some more.

=====

Accolades Corner:

Amade, locastan and Eliminateur for observations and workarounds

SovietCommissar and Maverick92 (somewhat indirectly) for assistance.

Theaty for providing a downloadable /res_mods folder for download.
http://forum.worldof...folder-for-you/

Uxellinus for this how-to-video.
http://forum.worldof...s-how-to-video/

Special mention to DUBSTEP for being "enthusiastic".

+++++

Help Corner:

- Help! X Mod is not working!

I Answer:

Please Check your mod maker for compatibility, I cannot personally check each mod for compatibility, at least you have to do it since you were the ones using it. I’m really sorry if I can’t help you there.

- Help! my effects removal mod has stopped working!

Eliminateur and SovietCommissar answered:

In case you want to “DELETE” a file (like smoke, intro, etc-in the case of "smoke and effects removal") the way is to create a 0 byte file with the same name in the res_mods (with the path you need to replace of course).

I Answer:

You may also want to try tinkering with the settings panel as well. And I think someone is already working on a compatible version.

- Help! JSGME is saying that X file is going to be replaced if i continue!

I Answer:

Check first if you have deactivated your mod prior to copying to the /res_mods/version folder- since JSGME works by copying your files from the /MODS folder into the destination. Any activated mod would have the modded files in the /res folder and would be copied. Deactivating the mod would restore the /res folder files to it’s original/stock state. You can also ask Maverick92 for details.

Edits would be made later if needed.

=====

Guide History:

Thread Opened and V1 Guide posted : 3.9.12
V2 Guide Update : 3.14.12

frenzyNL #2 Posted Mar 09 2012 - 09:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6685 battles
how do you need to install them on the current version 7.1?

goodaytodie #3 Posted Mar 09 2012 - 11:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 1 battle

frenzyNL, on Mar 09 2012 - 09:37, said:

update launcher

iamablocker #4 Posted Mar 09 2012 - 13:40

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles

frenzyNL, on Mar 09 2012 - 09:37, said:

goodaytodie, on Mar 09 2012 - 11:10, said:

update launcher

You need for the client to be version 0.7.1.1 or higher for this to work.

So far, only RU and SEA clients are of version 0.7.1.1.

Also, you can read the warning on the very top of the post.

iamablocker #5 Posted Mar 09 2012 - 13:50

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles
from a lead given to me by Amade, there are some strange things that can happen, espeically w/ the sound files.

amade said:

Just a word of warning, certain folders need to be copied in full e.g. the audio folder and all the files inside it, otherwise some sounds/music will not be heard. So even if you only modded one file from that folder you need to copy the whole folder with all the files inside it into the res_mod/(ver) folder. For certain other stuff, like tank skins, you only need to copy the modified files and put them in their appropriate folders in res_mod/(ver).

Adding this warning to the post for now.

HighPitch #6 Posted Mar 09 2012 - 14:25

Major

• Players
  • 37765 battles
  • [HAVOK] HAVOK
I tried installing one of the winrate mods which had the res_mods folder, but couldn't get it to work. I wonder if not putting the files in the res_mods/7.1.1 folder caused this. I just put them in the res folder as per every other mod. Will try again once the patch hits, I guess.

Thanks for the info. Will +1 when I get some back. Damn them and their limit.

Ceratop #7 Posted Mar 09 2012 - 15:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 4156 battles
I tried with adding the basic sight mod and OTM, seems fine. Have not try others yet.

iamablocker #8 Posted Mar 12 2012 - 20:24

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles
A slight observation between different, but similarly structured clients, 7.1.1 and 7.2

I just noticed that every time that the client version changes, the name of the version folder in /res_mods changes as well- as evidenced by the SEA client (7.1.1) and the 7.2 test server clients. This "change per client update" may make using mods a bit tricky on the JSGME side.

As a precaution, when such a client version update is in effect, please double check the version number in the /res_mods folder and make appropriate changes.

Theaty #9 Posted Mar 12 2012 - 21:58

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 24109 battles
  • [-FU-] -FU-
This is so complicated. Sure thing its better and all but i prefer the old way to mod the game. Wargaming just wants more control of whats beeing put into their game files thats what i think. :(

Hawk819 #10 Posted Mar 12 2012 - 22:00

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 28969 battles
  • [TEXAS] TEXAS
One slight problem. . .

Using Jonesoft GME causes the following

[Crosshair]J1mBO's Variant 1.10 has res_mods/0.7.2 Common Test/Gui

[Crosshair]J1mBO's Variant 1.10 has res_mods/0.7.2 Common Test/gui/flash. . .

If this happens with the test server. I can well bet it'll do the same with 0.7.1.1 and other updated folders. Any idea on how to fix this?

Travlla #11 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 09:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5797 battles
+1,thank you for explaining it in plain English :Smile_honoring: I copy and pasted my whole vehicle folder from the live version and pasted it into the test server mod folder,
the only issue i have is the tank names now have country _vehicles in front of tank name,see below,this is also in front of crew names in garage,i got my sniper mode mod to work as well as some modified files to remove explosion,smoke etc (not exhaust smoke) again thank you
Posted Image

iamablocker #12 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 09:43

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles

View PostHawk819, on Mar 12 2012 - 22:00, said:

One slight problem. . .

Using Jonesoft GME causes the following

[Crosshair]J1mBO's Variant 1.10 has res_mods/0.7.2 Common Test/Gui

[Crosshair]J1mBO's Variant 1.10 has res_mods/0.7.2 Common Test/gui/flash. . .

If this happens with the test server. I can well bet it'll do the same with 0.7.1.1 and other updated folders. Any idea on how to fix this?

that's the usual error message if something is in the destination folder, it's a way of warning that you are about to overwrite something.

deactivate any mods installed and check the contents of the /res_mods/0.7.2 Common Test folder to see if you have something there, and be reminded that the mod source folder is in the /MODS folder that was created by JSGME.

View PostTravlla, on Mar 13 2012 - 09:41, said:

+1,thank you for explaining it in plain English :Smile_honoring: I copy and pasted my whole vehicle folder from the live version and pasted it into the test server mod folder,
the only issue i have is the tank names now have country _vehicles in front of tank name,see below,this is also in front of crew names in garage,i got my sniper mode mod to work as well as some modified files to remove explosion,smoke etc (not exhaust smoke) again thank you
Posted Image

Yes certain mods are still not up to 7.1.1 specs

Adiya's Crosshair mods are one example. (sorry Adiya, i have to use your example since I tested it) :Smile-hiding:

Travlla #13 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 10:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5797 battles

View Postiamablocker, on Mar 13 2012 - 09:43, said:

Adiya's Crosshair mods are one example. (sorry Adiya, i have to use your example since I tested it) :Smile-hiding:

Adiya's recital sniper V5 is working for me,except the part that tells you the armour thickness of the sighted tank,
Posted Image
Posted Image

locastan #14 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 12:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

Just a word of warning, certain folders need to be copied in full e.g. the audio folder and all the files inside it,...

Or just keep them like they were pre 7.1.1 and overwrite the files in res\audio\ directly. Client only checks on integrity of the pkg files. ;)

iamablocker #15 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 12:40

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles

View Postlocastan, on Mar 13 2012 - 12:10, said:

Or just keep them like they were pre 7.1.1 and overwrite the files in res\audio\ directly. Client only checks on integrity of the pkg files. ;)

the thing is, if you only placed a modded sound file (for example a modded gun sound mod) within the /res_mods/version folder, the client would only read the file in the folder and only the modded gun sound would work, the rest of the audio would not even be there.

I would suspect that if you copied the files into the /res/audio folder, the client would do a integrity check, and then replace the files if any of them fail the check from the packages- since basically modding a file may change various characteristics that integrity checks use (CRC among many other things)- i will have to test this later on if possible.

locastan #16 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 12:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postiamablocker, on Mar 13 2012 - 12:40, said:

I would suspect that if you copied the files into the /res/audio folder, the client would do a integrity check, and then replace the files if any of them fail the check from the packages- since basically modding a file may change various characteristics that integrity checks use (CRC among many other things)- i will have to test this later on if possible.

Negative. I tested it already with my silent battle timer mod. The game checks integrity on pkg's but not the files in res\audio\. There is no audio package to check against.

iamablocker #17 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 14:30

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles
Thanks to locastan that another oddity of the package system has been noted.

Adding this precaution.

Keep those observations coming!

metalmechanic #18 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 14:36

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 16903 battles
So I would take my mods and extract them to C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.7.1.1? Or would I just take the files out of the sniper mod folder "GUI" and "Text" and put them in the 7.1.1 folder?

Also do not try and use the mod installer. I was going to give that a shot. When I clicked the uninstall button on the installer, my game did not work anymore. I guess it removes necessary files. CTD on start up!

iamablocker #19 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 14:40

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles

View Postmetalmechanic, on Mar 13 2012 - 14:36, said:

So I would take my mods and extract them to C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\res_mods\0.7.1.1? Or would I just take the files out of the sniper mod folder "GUI" and "Text" and put them in the 7.1.1 folder?

Both yes, as long as their folders below the usual /res are the ones copied into the /0.7.1.1 folder since the /0.7.1.1 folder effectively becomes the /res folder of the mods.

note that you can only transfer sight, OTM and skin mods w/o almost any problem- do check if they are compatible with 7.1.1+.
if they do break the client, you can easily remove them one by one to find out the erring mod set.

sound mods can still follow the traditional way of modding.

Shukka #20 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 14:54

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 7759 battles
  • [AGRV8] AGRV8
So far all my mods work just great, thanks for the heads up on where and how to install, it will help a lot of people out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users