• This topic is locked This topic is locked
195 replies to this topic

Eliminateur #41 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 17:41

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles
iamblocker
an addendum for your guide that hasn't been mentioned:

in case you want to DELETE a file (like smoke, intro, etc) the way is to create a 0 byte file with the same name in the res_mods (with the path you need to replace of course)

PaperArtillery #42 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 17:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6598 battles
  • [C_O_G] C_O_G

View PostUxellinus, on Mar 13 2012 - 17:33, said:

I got it to work, there was a newer version out

http://forum.worldof...d/page__st__240

I can't seem to figure the last file part though that, aim/color/type and puting it in the gui/maps/ingame/aim

My gui doesn't have a MAPS folder so do I make one? in res_mod?
You could certainly try that; like I said above, though, WoT may only look for files that replace existing packaged files - e.g. it will only look for things that are already present in the stock files.

Although, it is worth noting that J1mbo has posted it with 7.1.1 install instructions, so you should be good to just create the folder as you said.  Remember, folders are only a virtual thing - think of the path and filename as the computer's way of locating things, so "making" a folder isn't any different from using a pre-existing one.

EDIT: Uxe, what scope shadow are you looking for?  Or are you trying to remove it?

@ Eliminateur

Well said.  I knew how to do it myself but neglected to advise the OP to add it.  Thanks!  

PREDATOR_PRIME #43 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 17:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 15561 battles
Where can I get MODs for 7.1.1 and my are not working when I put it into the res_mod folder I need help

Mongo63a #44 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 18:02

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 34363 battles
thanks for posting this

thasaint #45 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 18:12

Private

• Players
  • 3253 battles
It's a start, but I wish I could keep it more organized.

Viper_Alpha #46 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 18:18

Captain

• Players
  • 68341 battles
  • [IHC] IHC
can you please write me a message how to put on 7.1.1 the Health bar with nubmers 1900/1900 and adiyas scope

thx

PaperArtillery #47 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 18:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6598 battles
  • [C_O_G] C_O_G

View PostMusmulica, on Mar 13 2012 - 18:18, said:

can you please write me a message how to put on 7.1.1 the Health bar with nubmers 1900/1900 and adiyas scope

thx

I followed the instructions above to install Adiya's scope.  Just copy GUI and TEXT from res to res_mods, then drop Adiya's GUI and TEXT folders overtop of the new copies in res_mods.  That simple.

Terminus_Hostilia #48 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17867 battles
  • [2K1LL] 2K1LL
Wow...I've really become comfortable with the mods. So much so that I don't even want to play now w/o them.

Still trying to figure out the reason the devs changed the way to do it....I have had no luck getting anything other than the 2.0 ver. of the Tweaker to work.

I've tried various different ways to do it, including the hard to follow directions posted here by others.

I do appreciate the effort and time taken to explain this to the less fortunate players
but
can we get an explanation that's broken down step by step?
I can't seem to wrap my brain around the current ones being posted.

For instance, I want to install the "zoom out mod" (among others) but when I follow the steps to put the XML file where it supposedly belongs, nothing changes. I can still go into the game and it plays fine but no extra zoom.

I also tried to install a simple scope modification...same result.

Signed, Frustrated.

AaronSauce2pro #49 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:22

Private

• Players
  • 8367 battles
NVM i figured it out :)

Arctander2 #50 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:22

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14874 battles
Sadly, I can't get the "no ping" mod to work. Man... I hate the map pinging retards who do it 23 times.

iamablocker #51 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:30

Captain

• Players
  • 9092 battles

View PostEliminateur, on Mar 13 2012 - 17:41, said:

iamblocker
an addendum for your guide that hasn't been mentioned:

in case you want to DELETE a file (like smoke, intro, etc) the way is to create a 0 byte file with the same name in the res_mods (with the path you need to replace of course)

View PostSovietCommissar, on Mar 13 2012 - 17:48, said:

@ Eliminateur

Well said.  I knew how to do it myself but neglected to advise the OP to add it.  Thanks!  [/b]

Thanks to you two guys for helping out on this thread.

I was sleeping for a short 4 hours before I head out to work.

Added the addendum.

-----

To all Thread Readers!

Due to consistent and insistent public demand and questioning, I will initiate an edit/rewrite of the guide later on when I come home from work- since the initial post was made rushed and with new additions and observations being added in.

Also, this thread is about the basics of how to install mods into the new system, not a listing of 7.1.1 compatible mods.
For compatibility information, you would need to check the relevant threads/sites for that.

cubedud #52 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 13690 battles
I went to install a skin for one of my german tanks, but the files seem to be missing, because I can't locate them. The only folder that has vehicles is under res/vehicles/german and there are only 11 folders each with either one or two files. I don't exactly know why this is, or where the files and folders went, but any help would be appreciated.

hardicon #53 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 46437 battles
ok quick question.  i currently run no mods, main reason is i never felt comfortable going in and deleting files.  from reading this it sounds like i just have to download the mod and put it into that folder inside the world of tanks folder and it will work, is that right.  I dont have to delete anything else or switch files or anything.  if so that will be easy even I can do it.

PaperArtillery #54 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6598 battles
  • [C_O_G] C_O_G

View PostTerminus_Hostilia, on Mar 13 2012 - 19:18, said:

I also tried to install a simple scope modification...same result.

Signed, Frustrated.

Most mods modify files in the audio, gui, and/or text folders under "res".  To be safe with WoT's weird behavior, copy any folder that your mod would modify from "res" to "res_mods\0.7.1.1".  Then simply drag and drop the modded files and overwrite the copies you've made in 0.7.1.1.  It'll work with no issues unless it's a mod that's incompatible with the new version of WoT.  There's really no way to break it down further; just think of "res_mods\0.7.1.1" as a modifiable "res" folder.

Example:

To install the scope shadow removal mod, I first copy the entire GUI folder from the "res" folder to "res_mods\0.7.1.1" so that I end up with "res_mods\0.7.1.1\GUI", and then drop ScopeShadow.swf into "res_mods\0.7.1.1\GUI\flash".  Done.

Rainybeet #55 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8458 battles
Since this is pinned and this topic has not been addressed in this great tutorial, I wanted to add some important information about modding in the future.

When you want to create a NEW mod or skin, but do not have the original files or path, you can access the .pkg files to get to the original files that we are used to working with.

As an example, if you wanted to create a skin for the M18 Hellcat it would be a problem since there was no .dds for the skin prior to 7.2.  Here is how you access it.

1.  Go to the directory World_of_Tanks\res\packages and select the vehicles_american.pkg file.

2.  Copy the file to an editing directory of your choice, such as World_of_Tanks\MyMods

3.  Change the file extension to .zip and extract the files with PeaZip or your favorite extraction utility.

You now have a folder structure like we are used to working with.  Now you can copy the vehicles\american\A41_M18_Hellcat folder over to the res_mods folder, open up the M18_hellcat.dds file, and work with it the way you would work with any other files.

Rainybeet #56 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 19:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8458 battles

View Posthardicon, on Mar 13 2012 - 19:46, said:

ok quick question.  i currently run no mods, main reason is i never felt comfortable going in and deleting files.  from reading this it sounds like i just have to download the mod and put it into that folder inside the world of tanks folder and it will work, is that right.  I dont have to delete anything else or switch files or anything.  if so that will be easy even I can do it.

This is correct.  You no longer have to worry about overwriting original game files.  You just copy the mod into the res_mod folder (with the proper folder structure) and the game simply reads that mod file instead of the original game file.

If the mod is not behaving as you would like you simply delete it from the res_mod folder without worrying about compromising the integrity of the game, and the game will go back to behaving just as it did pre-mod.

This also means that you no longer have to worry about backing up the original files in case something goes wrong, since you are never touching the original files.

PaperArtillery #57 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 20:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6598 battles
  • [C_O_G] C_O_G

View PostRainybeet, on Mar 13 2012 - 19:50, said:

Since this is pinned and this topic has not been addressed in this great tutorial, I wanted to add some important information about modding in the future.

When you want to create a NEW mod or skin, but do not have the original files or path, you can access the .pkg files to get to the original files that we are used to working with.

As an example, if you wanted to create a skin for the M18 Hellcat it would be a problem since there was no .dds for the skin prior to 7.2.  Here is how you access it.

1.  Go to the directory World_of_Tanks\res\packages and select the vehicles_american.pkg file.

2.  Copy the file to an editing directory of your choice, such as World_of_Tanks\MyMods

3.  Change the file extension to .zip and extract the files with PeaZip or your favorite extraction utility.

You now have a folder structure like we are used to working with.  Now you can copy the vehicles\american\A41_M18_Hellcat folder over to the res_mods folder, open up the M18_hellcat.dds file, and work with it the way you would work with any other files.
This is also a great method to use as an alternative to WoT Tweaker's Res Unpack - simply unzip misc.pkg to res_mods, then you can run WoT Tweaker 2.0 from any location without cluttering up your World of Tanks install with extra stuff (thus, keeping any user modifications safely in the res_mods folder).

cubedud #58 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 20:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 13690 battles

View PostRainybeet, on Mar 13 2012 - 19:50, said:

Thanks for posting this, helped me out with my problem. I love how they change everything and didn't even bother to write a guide themselves.

Wakeupdead #59 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 20:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 20862 battles
wow do I feel dumb, I cant seem to get my skins to work and I have tried to follow the post way to do it but no luck.

So you need to to add a whole vehicle file into the 7.1.1 folder? Where do I get that file from? Then I can add mods like before by replacing the DDS files?

This is about one step above my software abilities, throw me into a room with computer parts i ll build you the best machine possible but have me program it to say hello at start up forget it!

Any help would be great thanks!

AaronSauce2pro #60 Posted Mar 13 2012 - 20:18

Private

• Players
  • 8367 battles
Ok i might have found a solution to the Smoke and fire effects. theres a file called Misc.PKG found in the packages folder. I found the Particle file there. i will be trying to modify now to see if it will work. Fingers Crossed!

Yes!! it works. make a spare misc.PKG file  edit the particles file inside to what you like and put the particles folder into the res/mods/7.1.1 folder. i hope this helps you

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users