Work-around script no longer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
342 replies to this topic

FullArmorOfGod #261 Posted Apr 30 2012 - 01:39

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29706 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

May I just say what an amazing dimension your V4a2 has added to the game environment!  

I am using the idle at start version, and all I can say is wow!!  What a difference!  Besides the awesome sound of the L68 or S70 guns, I did not not realize how important the experience the sound is.  I love the feature of how you've muffled the sound when in sniper mode as if inside the tank. And The sound of the high revs of the tank struggling up a hill is amazing.  I think the sounds of the tanks driving up and idling around you are perfect and ALL of the sound levels are right on i.m.h.o.  WoT should be eternally in your debt.  Inspired people like you keep the interest flowing and people coming back.  I have not tried the radial version, but plan on it later.

Again, my sincerest thanks to you and the others who may have helped your success.

vuudoo

ps.
And stupid simple to install!

Maniac302 #262 Posted Apr 30 2012 - 16:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 4494 battles
I really like the sounds, they make my tank come alive. Unfortunately, they are quite loud, even with the volume turned way down, the sounds are giving me a headache.

rotorian #263 Posted May 01 2012 - 01:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15685 battles
Loving the allison.  Great job noble.  Also using your classical music mod :).

Maniac302 #264 Posted May 01 2012 - 21:09

Corporal

• Players
  • 4494 battles
I changed my mind. After turning the tank sounds volume down to 30%, the sound isn't bothering me so much anymore. I'm wondering, could you make sounds like this during the pre-battle countdown? http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vCsS20WJfBI To hear our tanks firing up as the battle gets underway would be awesome. VROOOM!

King_Of_Chaos #265 Posted May 02 2012 - 01:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11867 battles
  • [GRID] GRID
Hey Noble, what do you have planned for the next update, you just refining the sounds right now? Or are you working on new sounds??? I would just like you to clarify. I check back on this post every day at least 3 or 4 times to make sure I'm not missing anything. (Obsessed I know) XD Anyways, I'd appreciate it.

NoblePlatoon #266 Posted May 02 2012 - 14:43

Captain

• Players
  • 16690 battles

View PostKing_Of_Chaos, on May 02 2012 - 01:35, said:

Hey Noble, what do you have planned for the next update, you just refining the sounds right now? Or are you working on new sounds??? I would just like you to clarify. I check back on this post every day at least 3 or 4 times to make sure I'm not missing anything. (Obsessed I know) XD Anyways, I'd appreciate it.
There is not much more for me to do to this mod. I will eventually make it "final," but that will sound very much like the current version (maybe some fine-tuning to the tread sounds).

I am not currently working on any new sounds. My activity with WoT has dropped dramatically. The lack of any truly new content has caused my focus to shift elsewhere.

King_Of_Chaos #267 Posted May 02 2012 - 19:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11867 battles
  • [GRID] GRID
Alright then, anyways, if you'd allow me a parting gift, if you decide to leave. I'd be cool if we got your version of a weapon sound mod or that muscle car sound mod.

Winterx #268 Posted May 02 2012 - 20:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41310 battles
  • [11GD] 11GD
Despite the greater portion of the people liking it - and I respect your creative work as well as your decission not to have too great a change to it -  I cannot but note that the heavy German track sounds sound as though the tracks were old, rusty and broken. You probably got it from a piece of video, where an authentic yet 67 year old exhibit was put on display... with its tracks not having been taken propper care of (yet). Just my guess. Doesn't have to be that way. Anyways- I just thought that encountering a Tiger (etc) in the battlefield would have sounded far less... old and rusty ; ) you wouldn't have wanted to be caught with such a track sound by a superior officer at inspection time :D

In this clip a Pz VI makes its round and you'll notice it got its tracks fully restored to straight out of factory conditions... one merely heare a wee bit of whistling and that's about it, really. Not spectacular yet more to time at which these babys were in use. Just my 2 cents

For comparison, this Jagdtiger has a clearly gotten its  tracks messed up by combat.

Or here a Jagdpanther, also with new tracks. Slight squeking sound on this one.

Less focused on the track sound, I am enclosing this particular take, simply because of the evil sound of this Panther. It gets even cooler after it turns round, thus bearing its engine to the camera man. PURE EVIL Maybach!!!:)

TheFishlord #269 Posted May 02 2012 - 22:18

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 35645 battles

View PostKing_Of_Chaos, on May 02 2012 - 19:56, said:

Alright then, anyways, if you'd allow me a parting gift, if you decide to leave. I'd be cool if we got your version of a weapon sound mod or that muscle car sound mod.

Could you give us a quick tutorial on how you're doing these sounds? The community can carry on with it if someone else finds the time.

I'm loving the engine sounds themselves, the problem, I think, is in volume. Rather than being quieter in sniper mode it should be far louder - one British tanker I read of said that even low flying aircraft couldn't be heard over the engine. The effect was of a silent movie, because the engine drowned out everything.

So in sniper mode, I don't know if it would be possible, but the ideal for me would be to only hear the engine, the crew, the tracks, and the gun. I would also say that the guns are too quiet in comparison to the engines, but that's adjustable by the user, so no need to change that.

FullArmorOfGod #270 Posted May 03 2012 - 00:02

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 29706 battles
  • [4HIM3] 4HIM3

View PostWinterx, on May 02 2012 - 20:36, said:

Despite the greater portion of the people liking it - and I respect your creative work as well as your decission not to have too great a change to it -  I cannot but note that the heavy German track sounds sound as though the tracks were old, rusty and broken. You probably got it from a piece of video, where an authentic yet 67 year old exhibit was put on display... with its tracks not having been taken propper care of (yet). Just my guess. Doesn't have to be that way. Anyways- I just thought that encountering a Tiger (etc) in the battlefield would have sounded far less... old and rusty ; ) you wouldn't have wanted to be caught with such a track sound by a superior officer at inspection time.

imho track sounds are exactly right-on.  I work with 45-65 metric ton tracked loaders and excavators everyday.  The tracks are not lubricated.  The individual track plates are bolted to a heavy continuous chain that is turned by the sprockets, guided by the road wheels and tensioned by idler wheels.  Those items are internally greased and sealed.   That is why you see 70 year old tanks getting pulled out of a swamp somewhere and the wheels roll perfectly.  From the factory, the track plates squeak like hell.  The reason tracks are not greased is because the grease would attract dirt and grit and dramatically increase wear on the track system.

Winterx #271 Posted May 03 2012 - 03:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41310 battles
  • [11GD] 11GD
We are surely not talking excavators and the like here. There would absolutely not have been interest in wearing out the precious tanks by having them move on their own tracks any further than necessary. The military keep their vehicles in near mint condition if they can help it. Mind you, you are certainly right in that there will be no external greasing. However, I don't entirely agree an excavator, etc would be comparable to a tank in terms of desired state when getting deployed. We are talking state of the art high tech and there being a more than frantic desire for  keeping the tanks as highly operational and with as little wear as possible before entering a crucial engagement in the field. WWII deployment of tanks would practicaly mean they'd be carried from the factory to arming them via train flatcars.

At this stage German heavies would not even include the tracks they'd field in combat but smaller, so called transport tracks - mainly due to the problems one had with fitting the tanks with their wider combat tracks onto the flatcars. Otherwise they'd stick out, which would endanger a tank getting hit by trains passing in adjacent rail tracks. After the outfitting the tanks would then get deployed in direct proximity to the battlefield, where only now they'd get their combat tracks ("Gefechtsketten"). From there onwards, i.e. with their combat tracks on, the heavies would get transported via wheeled transport to the site of the battle.

After a battle they'd get hauled back to the railroad again and getting their transport tracks on and so forth until the tank bit the dust. Hence, the Germans perfected the exchanging of tracks (well, they had to, anyways) I.e. the tanks were always getting brand new tracks and hardly had them worn out like an average contruction machine that spends its life span working itself through the mud or itself doing the hauling. A tank, in comparison, spends its time in shelters, is high maintainence and is kept in top condition for potential deployment - "Any time, any place", as they say (ok, I know its an aAirforce motto, but still).

So, as you rightly explained the (new)  tracks should certainly squeek. And that's what I stated myself (and is well heard in the videos I provided above) . But Noble's track sound doesn't sound anything like squeeking but more like ones that are old and been round that track a couple of times too many - if you'll forgive the pun. Therefor, I still doubt it be a good thing for a (in WoT it being a brand new) tank sounding like a worn out loader or excavator (alternatively like fielding its original 1944, post-battle, broken  tracks of 67 years ago).

Edited by Winterx, May 03 2012 - 03:41.

NoblePlatoon #272 Posted May 03 2012 - 03:32

Captain

• Players
  • 16690 battles
Chill out, Winterx...you get squeaky tracks...love it or leave it.

z0h #273 Posted May 03 2012 - 06:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23559 battles
The new track sound still reminds me of a child running his Hotwheels across the kitchen counter.

Tanz #274 Posted May 03 2012 - 08:11

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 11807 battles
Awesome Mod Noble :Smile_great:  Thx

FinnFann #275 Posted May 03 2012 - 15:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20258 battles

View PostNoblePlatoon, on May 02 2012 - 14:43, said:

There is not much more for me to do to this mod. I will eventually make it "final," but that will sound very much like the current version (maybe some fine-tuning to the tread sounds).

I am not currently working on any new sounds. My activity with WoT has dropped dramatically. The lack of any truly new content has caused my focus to shift elsewhere.

Well it's certainly going to be a shame to lose you if you decide to leave. I'm not gonna stop you though, as I don't fully argue with your reasons. Just keep us in mind wherever you head to, and you've certainly made this game a better place with the mod templates that bring our games alive with new audio and sounds. And remember to peek back when they finally have WoWp, and new gameplay modes for WoT :P

ALSO MAKE SURE TO RELEASE A TEMPLATE ON THE ENGINE MODS BEFOREYOU LEAVE. It'd be a shame to lose all this information you've obtained on doing it DB

Winterx #276 Posted May 04 2012 - 00:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41310 battles
  • [11GD] 11GD

View PostNoblePlatoon, on May 03 2012 - 03:32, said:

Chill out, Winterx...you get squeaky tracks...love it or leave it.
LoL - I am chilled. You asked us to "test" your sound mod and give you feedback. So don't be surprized if you actualy get some and you don't like what you get to read.
And I remember writing elsewhere that I love you mod. Just not those broken track sounds on a brand new tank ;)

Edit: In other news, I remember the guys of WoT mentioning adding new sound options  per tank in the next months. Perhaps that would be something that'd interest you.

Edited by Winterx, May 04 2012 - 00:36.

rotorian #277 Posted May 11 2012 - 02:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15685 battles
Loved the allison, hopefully still good for 7.3?  Going to give it a shot.

Edit:  All good in 7.3.

Edited by rotorian, May 12 2012 - 21:10.

vasco22 #278 Posted May 12 2012 - 19:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 16647 battles
Hi NoblePlatoon :)
This is a really nice and great sound mod! It changes the overall feel of the game, the tanks now felt more wild.. and powerful B)
I love it, especially allison one. AWESOME work!!

King_Of_Chaos #279 Posted May 21 2012 - 17:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11867 battles
  • [GRID] GRID
Hey Noble, I sent you a PM about something, but otherwise, are you still going to be modding or are you moving on? It'd be a shame to lose you, but with all of the work you have done I must really thank you. I'd pay you if I could :)

Dumgard #280 Posted May 25 2012 - 06:14

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 13203 battles
  • [-RC-] -RC-
Noble,

Thank you for these very fine engine sounds.  I am a fan of the Radial pack myself.  It certainly adds depth to the game.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users