m4 sherman guide.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

rinying #1 Posted Mar 26 2012 - 02:11

Major

• Players
  • 11134 battles
this is a guide im making for the m4 sherman medium tank, if it turns out good i may make more with tanks that i love.

ok, the main strengths of the m4 sherman tank is
1. the 105 derp gun, it has the potential to 3 shot some t7s, mainly the panther. it can easily 1 shot any t4 (excluding possibly the leo and b1) and can reload much faster than a kv derp gun.
2. maneuverability. without the m4 shermans fairly good speed and turning speed, it would be a crappy tank, even with the 105 derp. this being said, with the speed and turning it possesses, it turns it into an extremely effective flanker.
3. gun depression. with its gun depression it can easily outdo other, similar tanks, most notably the pz4, in a defender role.
4. money making. i list this only because right now its an excellent money maker, and has easily gotten me my new money maker, the t34, before 7.2. after the econ change, it may not be an excellent money maker, but itll still be effective.
now the cons.
no armor. you may dink off much much smaller targets, but dont expect even t3 lights to dink off you.
and thats it! i cant really think of any other cons for it, cept for that point that is in every american medium almost, excluding the e2 and patton.
now for the tips of how to use it.
1. flanking. as stated before, using the ability of the m4 sherman to flank can easily get you into a position at where you can do extreme damage to any weakly armored enemy. t5+ frenchies anyone?
2. letting your enemy make the first move. what i mean by this is instead of you running around the corner, or rushing 3-4 guys. let him do that. it exposes his side which will do more damage. dont try this if you have enemy arty at where they can hit you, in that case try and either retreat to where the arty cant hit you, or rush the enemy if you know you can kill them.
3. defender. the m4 sherman is an excellent defender, due to having 68 HE pen, it can pen ANYTHING t7 and do damage, and most t8s frontally, cept for the lowe, use gun depression and flanking maneuvers to your advantage when defending.
4. get above them. no i dont mean it that way, now listen. if your above your enemy you can see their extremely weak top, a blessing against a highly armored enemy. you can easily do 300+ damage to a kv-3 this way, or severely damage even an is-3! common places to do this is on cliff, at where you climb the hill and get behind the mountain and can see the lower enemies. or on el halluf, on the tank hill when your enemy is heading down it.
if you have any more tips plz put them in the comments and if they are good ill add them to the guide. im also going to put replays of good m4 sherman battles if you have any plz put the replay up here. hope this helps someone at least! :)

replays
http://www.mediafire...hbeeel9r3kfi9od

SargentOddBall #2 Posted Mar 26 2012 - 02:21

Major

• Players
  • 9098 battles
105mm derp? Bounces shells. i find it inadequate, since it doesn't have a large caliber'd gun. Grab a 76mm m1a1, put on the top engine. You will be a flanker from hell in higher tiers, and gods wrath in lower tiers. 105mm is nice though, but ineffective after 7.1

rinying #3 Posted Mar 26 2012 - 02:26

Major

• Players
  • 11134 battles

View PostSargentOddBall, on Mar 26 2012 - 02:21, said:

105mm derp? Bounces shells. i find it inadequate, since it doesn't have a large caliber'd gun. Grab a 76mm m1a1, put on the top engine. You will be a flanker from hell in higher tiers, and gods wrath in lower tiers. 105mm is nice though, but ineffective after 7.1

really? ..... i never notice my shells bouncing? only time i bounce is on lowes front, or some random occasion at where any gun woulda bounced.

easy8tanker #4 Posted Mar 26 2012 - 02:34

Major

• Players
  • 11020 battles
  • [3A82B] 3A82B
I only use the M1A1 76mm. I don't know I might use the 105mm but I will alwasy like my 76.

rinying #5 Posted Mar 26 2012 - 02:53

Major

• Players
  • 11134 battles
i tried out the m1a1 and i have to say i much prefer the 105, simply because im used to being able to turn a battle around from losing to wining, with a few precise shots. my opinion though.

Compound_Fraction #6 Posted Mar 26 2012 - 04:19

Corporal

• Players
  • 7271 battles
I was going to start a topic asking for suggestions on using the M4, I just got one and I'm no good with it. Thanks!

Legiondude #7 Posted Mar 27 2012 - 21:35

Major

• Players
  • 13818 battles
  • [ELVIS] ELVIS
I used my Sherman before 7.0, so with the 105 I always derp oneshot anything below(And sometimes at) my tier

Now it's a bit more sketchy....but I still use it for my Jumbo and it's very nice

BCEMonkey #8 Posted Mar 28 2012 - 01:59

Captain

• Players
  • 9635 battles
The 105mm will be much more effective after 7.2, thanks to the HE buff. Currently, though, it takes careful aiming to use the 105mm.

Mydragonsfly #9 Posted Mar 28 2012 - 03:20

Major

• Players
  • 6089 battles
I remember 1 shotting a scout one time.. I was moving through the forest ahead of my heavier allies and I decide that I dont wanna get caught all alone so I park myself. After a few seconds the bushes and trees cammo take effect, and low and behold, a enemy scout pops up 100m my front. Well he's happily crusin along, then, oh Id say 30m from me he stops and points his turret at me. My second favorite derper, following him all along, shot him at that moment. Now my crew at that time was only round the upper 70 percent range, but I just pointed and fired.

Thats the great think about the sherman familys derps (in all regards against tier 4 scouts), just point, shoot, and drive into the sunset. Also the shell cost for the shermans dont hit home hard, whereas with the t29, my oh my.

M_1A_1Riley #10 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 02:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2601 battles
I have the M4 for a fun tank now, as I got the Easy-8, and i have the standard turret and 105, and its a blast!

SgtScooter #11 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 14:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7401 battles
As a player that has primarily driven the M4, I approve of this post. M4_4Life!

FakeJuice #12 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 15:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 8790 battles
The 105 Howitzer has lost its appeal after the HE mechanics change. As such, the M4 looses its effectiveness in both training crews and earning credits. I would highly recommend moving up to the E8, with it's high rate of fire on the 75mm M1A2 gun (21 rpm w/o rammer, 23 with, thats 1 round per 3 seconds, similar to an autoloader on many levels) and better mobility than the M4. I think it loses a bit in maneuverability, but the gun really makes up for it.

rudejohn #13 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 17:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14979 battles
  • [ARRG] ARRG

View PostFakeJuice, on Apr 20 2012 - 15:36, said:

The 105 Howitzer has lost its appeal after the HE mechanics change. As such, the M4 looses its effectiveness in both training crews and earning credits. I would highly recommend moving up to the E8, with it's high rate of fire on the 75mm M1A2 gun (21 rpm w/o rammer, 23 with, thats 1 round per 3 seconds, similar to an autoloader on many levels) and better mobility than the M4. I think it loses a bit in maneuverability, but the gun really makes up for it.

Can you elaborate a bit more as to why this makes the M4 less of a money earner?

rudejohn #14 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 17:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14979 battles
  • [ARRG] ARRG
By the way, there was another M4 guide written recently, I'm putting it here for reference because it has useful information as well.  http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/115715-m4-sherman-a-few-things-i-have-picked-up/

FakeJuice #15 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 19:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 8790 battles

View Postrudejohn, on Apr 20 2012 - 17:39, said:

Can you elaborate a bit more as to why this makes the M4 less of a money earner?

I should clarify. This doesn't necessarily make the M4 less of a money earner, but the E8 simply has more.. "bang for buck", shall we say?

I'll elaborate. The general consensus is that you must average 6 penetrating shots (or your tank's HP worth of damage) in order to gain credits in a game. I forget the loading time on the 105 Howitzer on the M4, but I think it's like 7 rpm. With the new HE mechanics and the new conical HE explosion, the chance of you doing your 1/6th of your HP's worth of damage in a single shot is a lot decreased.

To further explain, pre 7.1, HE worked similar to an AP shell, where a penetration would result in an explosion "inside" and a nonpenetration would explode on the outside of the tank. A penetration did full damage, while a non-penetration would do reduced damage as a ratio of your penetration vs their armor. This scaled well with the shell, and HE Howitzers were a viable option as credit earners simply because you were guaranteed damage per shell. Post 7.1, the HE now explodes outside of the tank on a non-penetration an expands in a conical damage radius. This does not scale with the penetration/armor ratio, reducing the damage you do on an HE shell.

As a M4 with the 105 would want to flank, so would an E8. However, in the time you are flanking, you are getting more shots off from the E8 with higher pen, increasing your damage capability, thus enabling better credit earning. You are also reducing your risk/gain ratio, as you are risking less time for the same amount of shots (or more shots for the same time risked being exposed). Thus, in the time of one howitzer burst on the M4, the same E8 would be getting three shots in instead.

Of course, the risks are different between flanking out in the open and flanking with cover around turns. We also have to consider the E8 having a higher repair bill and often put up against enemies of much higher tiers (M4 has a better MM rating, after all), but the E8 is a huge step up from the M4, and flank-derping often does not allow you to reliably shoot and scoot.

I remember re-grinding through the M4 when they released the Jumbo Sherman, and it was a huge pace back. I ran my US Medium line as a complementary line to my Heavy line, and found credit earning in the E8 and T20 extremely easy, as well as experience gain. The E8 is a fairly mushy tank, but I believe that its effectiveness as a credit earner has much more potential then an M4 with the 105 mounted.

EDIT: To avoid double posting, I would like to comment and say that you are not "penetrating" Tier 7s and 8s, with 53pen you can barely pen the front of a KV. What is happening is that the HE shell is exploding on the surface doing damage.

Legiondude #16 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 20:11

Major

• Players
  • 13818 battles
  • [ELVIS] ELVIS
Does your conclusion include the slight buff to HE put in for 7.1/7.2(forget which)?

rinying #17 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 22:02

Major

• Players
  • 11134 battles

View PostFakeJuice, on Apr 20 2012 - 19:22, said:

I should clarify. This doesn't necessarily make the M4 less of a money earner, but the E8 simply has more.. "bang for buck", shall we say?

I'll elaborate. The general consensus is that you must average 6 penetrating shots (or your tank's HP worth of damage) in order to gain credits in a game. I forget the loading time on the 105 Howitzer on the M4, but I think it's like 7 rpm. With the new HE mechanics and the new conical HE explosion, the chance of you doing your 1/6th of your HP's worth of damage in a single shot is a lot decreased.

To further explain, pre 7.1, HE worked similar to an AP shell, where a penetration would result in an explosion "inside" and a nonpenetration would explode on the outside of the tank. A penetration did full damage, while a non-penetration would do reduced damage as a ratio of your penetration vs their armor. This scaled well with the shell, and HE Howitzers were a viable option as credit earners simply because you were guaranteed damage per shell. Post 7.1, the HE now explodes outside of the tank on a non-penetration an expands in a conical damage radius. This does not scale with the penetration/armor ratio, reducing the damage you do on an HE shell.

As a M4 with the 105 would want to flank, so would an E8. However, in the time you are flanking, you are getting more shots off from the E8 with higher pen, increasing your damage capability, thus enabling better credit earning. You are also reducing your risk/gain ratio, as you are risking less time for the same amount of shots (or more shots for the same time risked being exposed). Thus, in the time of one howitzer burst on the M4, the same E8 would be getting three shots in instead.

Of course, the risks are different between flanking out in the open and flanking with cover around turns. We also have to consider the E8 having a higher repair bill and often put up against enemies of much higher tiers (M4 has a better MM rating, after all), but the E8 is a huge step up from the M4, and flank-derping often does not allow you to reliably shoot and scoot.

I remember re-grinding through the M4 when they released the Jumbo Sherman, and it was a huge pace back. I ran my US Medium line as a complementary line to my Heavy line, and found credit earning in the E8 and T20 extremely easy, as well as experience gain. The E8 is a fairly mushy tank, but I believe that its effectiveness as a credit earner has much more potential then an M4 with the 105 mounted.

EDIT: To avoid double posting, I would like to comment and say that you are not "penetrating" Tier 7s and 8s, with 53pen you can barely pen the front of a KV. What is happening is that the HE shell is exploding on the surface doing damage.
i played the m4 sherman back before the HE change, and i have to say i dont really notice a difference between then, i didnt play it as much, but i do love using the 105 as an extremely effective weak spot flanker, noticeably on the weak back parts of higher tier tanks, specifically the panther and t29, i can manage to do severe damage to them while they think very little of me. this also includes the t1 ht, m6, t20, m10 wolv, m18 hellcat, t28 proto, and any other weakly armored in one spot tanks, and or open hatched ones. imagine 1 shotting a t28 proto in a t5, and the e8 suddenly loses all appeal. also i personally preferred the e2, as it had significant frontal armor increase over the m4 sherman, yet still kept up mobility wise and had your choice between the e8s rapid firing gun, or the 105 m4 sherman mini derp. also the way the HE was changed, it makes certain shots MUCH MUCH more effective, like being able to 1 shot an m4 sherman, in an m4 sherman (rare, but doable.)

rinying #18 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 22:05

Major

• Players
  • 11134 battles

View PostLegiondude, on Apr 20 2012 - 20:11, said:

Does your conclusion include the slight buff to HE put in for 7.1/7.2(forget which)?

i made this one before the t110 was introduced, so it would be in 7.1 that this thread was made, though it still operates at the same efficiency to me, which is excellent :)

Legiondude #19 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 22:28

Major

• Players
  • 13818 battles
  • [ELVIS] ELVIS

View Postrinying, on Apr 20 2012 - 22:05, said:

i made this one before the t110 was introduced, so it would be in 7.1 that this thread was made, though it still operates at the same efficiency to me, which is excellent :)
I was asking about FakeJuice's post but yea, I agree  :Smile_great: