ARL-44 Tips?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

Mobius13 #1 Posted Mar 27 2012 - 02:07

Captain

• Players
  • 5583 battles
I just got my ARL-44.  I got everything on the BDR-G1B, except the top radio.  Anyone got any tips on what to grind first, how to play stock vs fully upgraded, and the like?  Much appreciated!

Legiondude #2 Posted Mar 27 2012 - 02:31

Major

• Players
  • 20522 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
The upgraded turret is lighter than that stupid barn on your head. You can get that first, then suspension. Tempting as it is to just save up for the better gun, you need better suspension to mount it.

I've only had the ARL for a few days so that's as far as I've got on the grind. I'm actually sorta enjoying it, though the tier 10 battles are a bit much

Petuko #3 Posted Mar 27 2012 - 03:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25160 battles
  • [76TH] 76TH
Work towards the 90mm F3 gun, then either the 105mm for a general purpose heavy gun or the 90mm if you're feeling lucky (exceptionally high pen but low damage and the accuracy isn't stellar either). The engine helps quite a bit as well, so it's not unheard of to get that after the 90mm F3.

Ignore the game telling you that you have 120mm frontal armor, you don't (It's probably just in some small area). And the upgraded turret is really rather thin-skinned, so unfortunately for the battles this tank gets into it's armor isn't going to help very much. Use intimidation to ward off foes or just stay back  and provide support fire. It can be treated somewhat similarly to the Tiger in this way.

pyantoryng #4 Posted Mar 27 2012 - 08:18

Major

• Players
  • 16796 battles
Get the turret first - it's lighter than the house turret so you don't need suspension to hold it. Or get the suspension first to help with traverse and a slight increase in acceleration. Get both before going to the 90 F3 (you need the turret anyway).

With the DCA 30 (and house turret) you'll have to aim carefully as you don't have too much penetration. Keep in mind that some tanks (IS-3 and KT in particular) can be shot through the periscope on top of the turret with DCA 30 should you have to engage them frontally.

Don't underestimate your front plate - the 120mm is sloped, and while angled can bounce a variety of shells thrown at you, but be careful not to get too carried away. And watch out for your upgraded turret - it can get derp-penned by a KV easily. The other thing that contribute to your protection is the exposed tracks on the front. It can magically dissipate damage from time to time, but don't count on it so much. Play it safe. But when you have to take damage, this tank does better than AMX M4 in the plating department.

After you get the 90 F3, you now have many choices to go by. You can get the DCA 45, the overkill gun, or you can get the 105, the French version of the Soviet 107 used on the KV, or you can get the upgraded engine if you find the ARL too sluggish to your liking. With your improved firepower the grind should be less painful and you have better payout.

The DCA 45 on the ARL 44 performs at the lowest capability. Its rate of fire is only 6.9 rpm, and the accuracy is no better than that of the F3...maybe a bit worse. It takes 3 seconds to aim at this stage too. Its excellent penetration is its selling point - being able to damage Tier 8 and some above in your measly Tier 6's never undersired. In the meanwhile, the 105 gives you better alpha damage, but slightly less penetration, WAY more inaccurate, and slower aim time. Great in close combat to medium range. Or you can just stick to the F3 as it's balanced between penetration, accuracy, and aiming time. It's equal to a fully upgraded M6 that way.

If you plan to go to the AMX M4, eliting the ARL 44 can save a majority of work on that tank.

mizaralcor #5 Posted Mar 27 2012 - 09:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7769 battles
Suggestions on upgrade paths and modules to use :

1. First and foremost, get the upgraded turret. The upgraded turret does have lower armor than the stock turret, but that drawback is offset by many advantages offered by the upgraded turret such as : much smaller silhouette making you harder to hit, better sloping, more HP (780 -> 820), slightly better traverse, better view range, lower weight, and of course allowing you to mount better guns.

2. Next, get your first decent gun, the 90mm F3. You can mount this 90mm F3 even with the stock tracks, unless you want to install equipments such as rammer on the tank. From now, you can choose to ignore the rest of the tree and just speed grind to AMX M4, BUT it is not really recommended. The reason being AMX M4 shares many of the same modules with ARL 44, and grinding them in AMX M4 rather than ARL 44 is harder due to significantly tougher MM (and subsequently, enemies) that you will face.

3. After 90mm F3, your choice of final gun between 90mm DCA 45 gun or 105mm gun will significantly determine both your playstyles and your upgrade path that you should follow afterwards, as such :

- 90mm DCA 45 gun. This is the low-alpha, very high-penetration gun choice of the two. The 212 penetration of this gun is the highest penetration value of all guns used on tier 6 and tier 7 tanks. The 90mm DCA 45 is also more accurate than the 105mm gun. The drawbacks are : very long 3 seconds aim time (which is shared with the 105mm gun), also lower alpha and lower DPM than the 105mm gun.

- 105mm gun. This is the higher-alpha, lower-penetration gun choice of the two. The 165 penetration value of this gun, even though lower than its 90mm DCA 45 brother, is still somewhat adequate for that tier though, although not stellar. For the lower penetration value, it is compensated by having 25% more alpha than the DCA 45 at 300 damage per shell, and also better DPM than the DCA 45. The drawbacks are : very long 3 seconds aim time (which is shared with the 90mm DCA 45 gun), lower penetration and worse accuracy than the 90mm DCA 45.

You will find staunch supporters of each of these 2 guns, and so it pretty much depends on your preferred playstyle to determine which one is best for you. One thing to note, is that whichever gun you picked between the two, it is really recommended to also research the other one that you didn't pick. Reason being, you will use both when moving to the next tank, AMX M4. For example, even though you choose 90mm DCA 45 on ARL -44, you will have to use 105mm initially on the AMX M4 for example, because you won't be able to mount 90mm DCA 45 on AMX M4 until you research its upgraded tracks and turret. On the other hand, even though you choose 105mm on ARL-44, you still want to eventually mount 90mm DCA 45 on the AMX M4 once you get its upgraded tracks and turret, as the 105mm's penetration isn't adequate anymore on a squishy tier 7 heavy that is AMX M4.

Now, back to ARL-44, once you picked your gun of choice, the upgrade path branches out depending on which guns you choose, because :

- If you picked 105mm gun, because it is lighter than 90mm DCA 45, you can actually mount that gun + all other upgraded modules on the stock tracks. As such, my suggested upgrade route will be : turret -> 90mm F3 -> 105mm gun -> engine -> tracks -> radio -> 90mm DCA 45 (to be used on AMX M4) -> AMX M4. Engine is quite crucial for ARL 44 as it pretty much improves your acceleration quite significantly, allowing you to have better acceleration than even the "medium-heavy" KV-1s. However, even though you can mount every upgraded modules including the 105mm gun on stock tracks, you won't have much load limit remaining, and as such if you want to mount equipments such as rammers, you will need that upgraded tracks before mounting the 105mm gun.

- If you picked 90mm DCA 45 gun, because it is the heavier gun, you will need the upgraded tracks first before you are able to mount the 90mm DCA 45 gun. As such, my suggested upgrade route will be : turret -> 90mm F3 -> tracks -> 90mm DCA 45 -> engine -> radio -> 105mm gun (to be used on AMX M4 initially, before you get upgraded tracks + turret). Again, as mentioned earlier, engine is quite crucial for ARL 44 as it upgrades your acceleration, allowing you to accelerate faster than even KV-1s.

4. You are actually one of the very few French tanks that is quite well-armored for its tier. Your 120 frontal armor is quite thick for a tier 6 standard and also sloped. If angled slightly, you are pretty much more armored than any tier 6 except for KV-3 and probably Jumbo. However, do NOT angle it as much as you may angle other tanks, probably around 15-20 degrees max, as your sides are extremely weak. On another note however, just like the US counterpart M6, your huge tracks can serve as "damage sponge" if needed, protecting your HP and main hull by occasionally absorbing shots intended for your hull. Do not depend on this all of the time though, as you will also risk getting tracked, and subsequently having one of those artys zeroing their crosshairs on you, and you don't exactly have a lot of HP for a heavy. The US tier 6 M6 has more HP than you for example.
Another nice thing that you will experience in this tank is the surprisingly decent gun depression (doesn't matter which of the 2 guns you picked) for a French tank. The succeeding tanks in French line have absolutely terrible gun depression unlike ARL-44, especially AMX M4. Although based from 7.2 test server, seems like the gun depression for the AMX M4 has been buffed to somewhat match ARL-44. I think it was just funny WG gave AMX M4, which doesn't have autoloader yet, a terrible gun depression, a penalty that is usually only reserved for autoloading French tanks. But if its depression is finally buffed, I am content.

I am sorry for the very long TLDR. (This can probably be a part of a guide lol). Hopefully it helps you in determining the modules of choice and upgrade path of choice, and also seeing the strong points of this tank. Sure it may not be KV-3 (which is closer to a tier 6.5 heavy tank rather than a true tier 6 anyways), but IMHO, it is one of the top tanks available in tier 6. An accomplishment by itself, as having good performance in one of the most dreaded tier (due to the fact that tanks in this tier can start meeting the monsters which are tier 9-tier 10 tanks) is not an easy feat.

Mobius13 #6 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 07:01

Captain

• Players
  • 5583 battles
Thanks, you guys!  Really great tips, I'll be sure to use them.  And I gotta say, both of those posts belong in some sort of guide instead of in my lowly advice thread  :lol:

If I see anyone asking/complaining about the ARL-44, I'll be sure to direct them here.  Thanks again!

AxisM #7 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 07:15

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 15763 battles
  • [MMAD] MMAD
i sniped in the arl44 since its like a marshmellow lol

Damonvile #8 Posted Apr 15 2012 - 16:26

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 10518 battles
about to get the arl-44. Thx for all the good advice here everyone.

Tingjonki #9 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 06:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11586 battles
ARL is my 2nd most played tank and its hard to learn and the biggest Tips I can give are...

1. Angle your armor with some cover hiding your side armor but show front tracks for that extra 0 damage crit shot

2. Get the 90mm instead of the 105 due to the matchmaking you'll almost always be bottom or close to bottom tank

3. Never push with this tank without some sort of cover

The thing I like about the ARL its that its Penetration allows it to still be competitive at higher tiers and its supersoaker tracks

I use this for equipment: Camouflage Net (with camo skill trained), Gun laying drive, and Rammer

Rainybeet #10 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 18:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8458 battles
Because of the matchmaker do not expect to have any fun in this tank until you can get the top 90mm.  The tank is somewhat bearable when you get the 90 mm F3, but it will bounce a lot of shots because it has 42mm less penetration than the top 90mm, other than that it is basically the same gun.

Also, never expect to be the star player on the team.  You do not do enough damage to outright kill most people that you come up against, so dont be expecting lots of top guns or high kill counts.  This is a 100% support tank with a painful grind to even fill that role decently.

The ARL 44 is not a horrible tank to play when you get it upgraded, and as long as you do not expect it to be a star performer it can be fun.  Stay back, aim carefully, and try to make it easier for the big tanks on your team to kill the other tanks.  Use cover, wait until you see a big gun pointed the other way, and then pull out and shoot the tank and retreat.

For equipment I use rammer, vents, and binocs (I figure that a camo net will not do all that much good since the tank has no camo value to speak of, and it helps your team if you can spot people here and there).  Having played it a bit I think that I may swap out the rammer for a gun laying drive so that I can play peek-a-boo more efficiently and not have to stay exposed for as long.

mig31foxhound #11 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 15:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5078 battles
Basically, it's like early german heavy except it's not plus you'll have higher acceleration rate.

Tacticalspoon #12 Posted Apr 18 2012 - 16:44

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 13154 battles
  • [WIN] WIN
One thing I've noticed nobody has really touched upon yet is the ARL's surprisingly good American-esque gun depression. Sure, the upgraded turret is nothing special on armor, but it's got a low enough profile that it doesn't really need any (especially at extreme distances). Once you get the long 90, you can do pretty damn well as a hull down support sniper in high tier matches. You can make yourself such a small target (while still contributing) that people won't bother shooting at you.

NergiZed #13 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 01:13

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4773 battles
ARL 44 is one of those tanks that you need to angle staight-on at enemies due to it's fantastically-sloped front armor and it's utter shit side armor. Seriously, the ARL 44 is like a giant concrete slab mounted on a wax chassis, the only armor worth a damn is the front. Turret armor is shit once you upgrade, but it's small and hard to hit.

Speed is ok and gets better once you get that top engine.

Guns, good God the guns. This tank is shit until you get the first 90mm, then it just gets better from there. The second 90mm is pretty amazing, stick with that, and hide behind your front armor and be a support tank. This tank is decently maneuverable once fulled upgraded, but you will die in a brawl due to lackluster armor everywhere else. Stay behind another tank, and wreck anyone you see from afar.

So far, it's the only french tank on the heavy-line that I thought was worth keeping. I've fully upgraded the M4 and it never really leaves the realm of 'ok'. The French med line has much better tanks, pretty much tiers 4 and above are all worth keeping. (AMX-40 is a tini heavy tank, can do good damage if it could pen).

big_boo_baddy #14 Posted Apr 20 2012 - 17:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13448 battles

View PostNergiZed, on Apr 20 2012 - 01:13, said:

it's fantastically-sloped front armor and it's utter shit side armor.

LOL

But very very true. I bounced shots from a KV with a 107mm, an M6 and a pzr 4 with the L70 75mm gun. But i've also eaten a KV derp through the side armour which I think left my crew sitting in the next tank. I've got the tracks, turret and now the 90mm F3 which does indeed make a difference, just need to save a few more pennies for the GLD.

big_boo_baddy #15 Posted Apr 21 2012 - 18:57

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13448 battles
After a very successful day (not entirely in my ARL I admit) i've got a GLD and more importantly the 90mm DCA45. With the 45, once you accept that you WILL get screwed by the RNG it becomes a great support tank. With 212mm pen you pose a threat to a lot of heavy and medium tanks but it's not capable of brawling with it's slow turret traverse and reload time. I find it works best in a role similar to the german heavies, sit further back from the frontline and support your main heavies.

Kaeldian #16 Posted Apr 22 2012 - 06:35

Major

• Players
  • 19203 battles
Great front armor, meh accuracy, terrible manuevering.   I've come to the conclusion this tank works best at mid ramges.  Not enough accuracy for long range fights, but close range fights are bad given it's poor handling and weak turret.  Does well in urban settings where there are few opportunities to get "circle straffed"

big_boo_baddy #17 Posted Apr 23 2012 - 13:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13448 battles
Got the 105mm gun for my ARL, going to get the engine as well since it transfers further up the tech tree. With the 105mm this plays a lot more like a KV or KV3 with the 107mm. Similar accuracy and loading times, similar penetration and damage. You still have poor side armour so you have to be careful with your positioning, imo the greatest weakness of the French heavies (at this tier) is your own team, if they don't support you and you don't support them you will burn. Overall I think personally the 105mm gun is a better fit for me with this tank, higher alpha and a higher dpm the the DCA 45. I think I will likely stay with the 105mm when I get the AMX M4.

pyantoryng #18 Posted Apr 23 2012 - 15:28

Major

• Players
  • 16796 battles
The DCA 45 gains a big boost in RoF and accuracy in AMX M4.

You may want to consider it when hopping in that thing...but all you have will be the F3 and 105 as DCA 45 requires upgraded turret.

mareign #19 Posted Apr 30 2012 - 10:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9519 battles
I didn't like this thing until I had the engine then it was suddenly a different tank.  Good front armor, decent gun, actually maneuverable with the engine.  Come 7.3 it will be the best T6 heavy with the KV-3 gone if it's not already.  I used the 90mm since you eventually have to research it if you keep going down the line.  The pen was definitely nice when stuck in tier 9 and 10 games.

Panzer4life #20 Posted Apr 30 2012 - 16:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The ARL-44 is like an ugly duckling. Every upgrade on this tank helps it more and more until the final configuration where it really shines. Equipment really helps this tank a lot, and I chose to use a gun laying drive, gun rammer, and vents. This allows it to overcome two of its biggest flaws: low aim time and low damage output.

The ARL-44 is a tank with good dynamics, being quite mobile, somewhat agile, and has a surprising level of gun depression (only French tank with this trait, but it has -10 degrees of it, same as the T29). The armor is quite surprising as well; you're no KV-3, but be prepared to seriously annoy some tier 5 tanks and get a lucky bounce or ts against tier 6 tanks.

You will eventually have to choose between the 105 and the 90 mm. I myself went with the 105mm, due to the two guns having basically the same reload times, but the 105 doing considerably more damage. Used aggressively the ARL-44 does quite well. While the 90mm can work well as a sniper platform the aim time is quite lethargic, and your overall damage output sucks horribly,

Basically, the ARL is a tank that does a little bit of everything somewhat well. I myself loved it, and I Intend to rebuy it eventually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users