PzKwII Luchs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

MadCat #1 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 07:18

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
So I've been driving around in one for a few days now and am enjoying this thing immensely, not sure if I want to move on to a Leopard though, but a question. I keep hearing conflicting information so I'm asking for some forum wisdom here ;)

I started off getting everything upgraded, that includes the Grosseturm and the 5cm cannon. I find it plays well, but on the whole it's more of a thing where it helps killing arties, but other than that it still doesn't do me much good against mediums and other more heavily armored stuff.

I keep hearing that dropping the Grosseturm back to the standard one and equipping the 2cm flak cannon would be the better option since it saves a lot of weight (nearly 2.5 tons if I recall correctly), with a corresponding increase in agility and acceleration, which does seem to be the case.

The question being, for scouting and arty hunting, which is the better fitting? Stick with the "light" version, or go the full monty with the Grosseturm and the 5cm cannon?

Turvas #2 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 07:24

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
good question and I want to know it too :) for time being I ditched my VK3001P and decided to branch out on lights and bought Luchs. So if any sensei could answer MadCat's question, I would be grateful too

delioalberto #3 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 07:44

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 9719 battles
  • [-HTD-] -HTD-
Hola

Pienso que es mejor quedarse con el penultimo tanque de cada linea. Es decir, con el Lush para los Lights, etc. etc.

¿Por qué? Porque es más fuerte que los anteriores, menos pesado y casi igual de rápido que el siguiente. Es más barato.

Me gusto mucho el Lush, penetraba las líneas enemigas y daba buenos tiros

Saludos...Respeto al enemigo
---

Hola

I think it's better to stick with the penultimate tank of each line. That is, with Lush for Lights, etc. etc.

Why? They are stronger than previous, less heavy and almost as quickly as the next. It's cheaper.

I really liked the Lush, penetrating enemy lines and gave good shots.

Greetings...Respect the enemy.

soulspectre #4 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 08:07

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13445 battles
The Luchs is hands down one of the most enjoyable vehicles to play; it's quick, small and nimble. In regards to the 5cm gun, in my opinion this is the weapon best suited for it. It may not be the best to take on other small fast movers but it packs a punch which allows you to deal large amounts of damage to slow or stationary targets. It also has a 50% higher penetration rating than the flak cannon which will allow you to hit slightly larger vehicles for when you get dumped in a big-boys battle. You will need to time your shots better with the 5cm though as it isn't a spam cannon like the flak.

MadCat #5 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 10:15

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postsoulspectre, on Sep 21 2010 - 08:07, said:

The Luchs is hands down one of the most enjoyable vehicles to play; it's quick, small and nimble. In regards to the 5cm gun, in my opinion this is the weapon best suited for it. It may not be the best to take on other small fast movers but it packs a punch which allows you to deal large amounts of damage to slow or stationary targets. It also has a 50% higher penetration rating than the flak cannon which will allow you to hit slightly larger vehicles for when you get dumped in a big-boys battle. You will need to time your shots better with the 5cm though as it isn't a spam cannon like the flak.

Which is where my problem comes in, I play from South-East Asia, so my ping is on average about 400 to 600 - if I use the 5cm, the only way I hit anything is to come to a complete stop and shoot or auto-aim will miss. Manual aim isn't an option with it either; the flak at least lets me get some damage in from time to time so that's good for the cred/xp rates; other than that I do intend to use it mostly as a scouting vehicle, so I'm not that interested in doing big damage right off the bat, rather just be that nuisance flitting around the field that everyone wants to chase down :D

Dunno though, I ended up shelving my crew and selling it off again, I want to try TD's so.. been messing with that now :) Probably after release I'll revisit the Luchs.

Turvas #6 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 11:44

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
my gods! I didn't even think that it was possible to play with 400-600 ping! imho game is unplayable starting 200 :D

MadCat #7 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 12:24

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
It's not easy let's put it that way :) I need to plan any maneuver way in advance - if you ever see a Luchs plow headfirst into a wall, that'd be me. Because on my end, I cleared the wall, but often the server considers things differently. Either that or things freeze up for 2 seconds and I'll end up spinning wildly in place.

It is doable though for things like SPG's and TD's since they don't actually move much, but on the whole it's a pain - that's why I sold the Luchs off. Love it, but can't play it well right now. Would rather have an Oceanic server at release :D

soulspectre #8 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 12:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13445 battles

View PostMadCat, on Sep 21 2010 - 12:24, said:

It's not easy let's put it that way :) I need to plan any maneuver way in advance - if you ever see a Luchs plow headfirst into a wall, that'd be me. Because on my end, I cleared the wall, but often the server considers things differently. Either that or things freeze up for 2 seconds and I'll end up spinning wildly in place.

It is doable though for things like SPG's and TD's since they don't actually move much, but on the whole it's a pain - that's why I sold the Luchs off. Love it, but can't play it well right now. Would rather have an Oceanic server at release :D
You're best bet would be to play arty or a td with such a high ping.

vuvuzela_salesman #9 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 14:01

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 8867 battles
  • [PANSY] PANSY
I have both the leopard and the luchs and prefer the luchs actually, even though the crew is only about 68 pct skill and the leopard is 110 pct crew skill.

The luchs is so much more manuverable. although the leopard gets the long 50mm it really isnt much of an improvement.

I think you could probably make up for the added weight of the 50mm gun and turret by adding the torsion bar kit. it's not that expensive, only about 80k. i might throw it on tonight to see if it helps things.

my only complaint on the luchs is how slow the turret rotates. hard to circle strafe with only 35 degree traverse/second.

HeroEnVec #10 Posted Sep 21 2010 - 20:42

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5220 battles
  • [TT] TT
a maxed out leopard could kill 4-5 maxed out luchs at once without problems.

Enjoy getting 1shot every other game in your luchs though :)

On a serious note, luchs is a very fun tanks... but it doesn't even compare to leopard.

punkadelic #11 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 18:39

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Great little tank, real shame it gets lumped in with high tier tanks and battles last for all of 20 seconds.
Ok, I exagerate somewhat but it IS possible, and quite likely that battle will be that short, if you use it as a scout and go looking for the enemy Arty.
A real shame imo as I first saw one while in my bt2 and bought one hoping to enjoy similar fights to those that I have had in the bt2.
Being a tier 3 tank however seems to have scuppered my plan sadly but it IS a great little tank and if you can avoid the bad guys' guns you will have fun, once you get the fast engine ofcoz  :blink:

kiwi123 #12 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 11:02

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1879 battles
So I decided last night to go back to lights and try the luchs as it seems fun (from PzIV and StuG) but ehmmm...it's SLOW!

I've got the medium engine, saving up for the biggest, please tell me it will get better? Otherwise I might be better of with the PzIII or PzIIIa, they're FAST, have a much faster turret traverse and deal loads more damage. Am I doing something wrong?

Spartan #13 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 12:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 12935 battles
  • [DFA] DFA
Once you get it fully upgraded you will see how much of a speed difference it will make. I own a fully upgraded luchs and love it.
Plus you will see how nimble it is just try to avoid the really big boys and go arty hunt.
Hope you enjoy it!!!

kiwi123 #14 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 12:36

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1879 battles
Thanks Spartan, I was shocked how slow it was and how slow the turret turned! Hopefully I'll have it upgraded soon :D

Greneral_Maow #15 Posted Oct 21 2010 - 23:58

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7311 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

View PostSpartan, on Oct 14 2010 - 12:29, said:

Once you get it fully upgraded you will see how much of a speed difference it will make. I own a fully upgraded luchs and love it.
Plus you will see how nimble it is just try to avoid the really big boys and go arty hunt.
Hope you enjoy it!!!
When I get dumped in the higher tier battles I use the luchs to support the mediums in the same way mediums should support heavies. While the bigger tanks are distracting the enemy mediums you can often maneuver behind them and do significant damage with rear/side shots. The upgraded turret is pretty slow to turn but if you really need to traverse it quickly you can turn the tank hull itself, although this presents its own difficulties.

One of the most important things to remember is that the luchs is fragile and is best suited to skirmishing. Your biggest assets are speed and surprise. Just like the leopard you will most likely die if your track is knocked out in combat or your engine stops working.

So far its my favorite tank but I don't have a leopard yet ;)

kiwi123 #16 Posted Oct 22 2010 - 09:46

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1879 battles
I've sold mine again, got it fully upgraded but had to make space for a JagdpanzerIV...

It's just not my thing I guess

evrim81 #17 Posted Oct 22 2010 - 20:10

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Luchs is one shot wonder for arty. Stay away and save your money for other tank. Or just leech for damaged enemies.

cardgame #18 Posted Oct 23 2010 - 06:47

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 5625 battles

View Postevrim81, on Oct 22 2010 - 20:10, said:

Luchs is one shot wonder for arty. Stay away and save your money for other tank. Or just leech for damaged enemies.

Luchs is THE most agile tank ingame. You'd have to be a really stupid driver or a very good/lucky aim in arty for your situation to play out.

Greneral_Maow #19 Posted Oct 25 2010 - 00:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7311 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC

Or just leech for damaged enemies.
Teamwork is such a dirty word.

soulspectre #20 Posted Oct 25 2010 - 01:00

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13445 battles

View Postcardgame, on Oct 23 2010 - 06:47, said:

Luchs is THE most agile tank ingame. You'd have to be a really stupid driver or a very good/lucky aim in arty for your situation to play out.

Or they could have a super-TD, err.. I mean hummel.

Other arty is pretty simple to take out but the hummel is a dangerous beast.