History Class Fail

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

cheesellama #21 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 04:26

Major

• Players
  • 5502 battles

View PostKing_Of_Chaos, on Mar 29 2012 - 02:42, said:

I'm 16, and currently on the track towards becoming a mechanic. I've spent 9 years of my life researching battles, equipment, vehicles, weapons and other things. (This was done in free time when I was not out with friends) I've actually gone to a history museum and was able to have a nice chat with a historian. It was nice, talking to someone who knew their stuff. Any ways, so I was in class and we watched Band of Brothers. It was nice, but half of the kids in the class had no idea who was who and what the hell was going on. Our teacher didn't even know any of the armoured vehicles or firearms that were being used. Just watching Band of Brothers made me want to educate these kids on what they've seen. The most ridiculous comment I heard from a classmate (they were being honest and weren't screwing around) was: "Hitler was the good guy right?" I had half a mind to hit the kid. Seriously, we spent 2 months on Hitler and the Concentration Camps.

This actually turned into a win. I told some classmates who were interested to stay with me over lunch and I'd teach them a thing or two. I honestly think I would be a successful tutor or even assistant. I don't mean to gloat. I am just pointing out how much of a fail our class and teacher was. *Facepalm*

Here's an added stupidity moment. None of them including the teacher knew what a "Tiger Tank" was...

But, you guys are awesome! Such an intelligent community on here. Thinking about showing that teacher this forum! Get some of you guys to educate some of the punks who are as dumb as a brick.
I know how you feel. One of my classmates is a smart and nice guy, but he doesn't know ANYTHING about war. I asked him if he knew about the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki today, in fact. He said. "There was another nuclear bomb dropped???"

He also doesn't know what a tiger tank is. He says that D-Day only rings a bell, but he doesn't know much else.

OrignalWolf #22 Posted May 03 2012 - 04:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4634 battles
Hate to tell you guys this, but not everyone shares an intrest in history like us fourm lurkers do. Everyone has a different intrest. Can you honestly say you know every variation of fabric there is in the world? Seems totally boring to be that sepcialized in a subject, but there are people who know that kind of thing.That being said, it is not unreasonable to expect to know MAJOR events in history, like dropping the Bomb, etc, just like I understand basic fabric types like cotton or polyester.

I am a history major, I hang out with history geeks all day, and a large percentage of them know next to nothing about combat, much less names of tanks in WWII. They are interested in another part of history, and thats fine. We need people to diversify their knowledge base from others.

Gneisenau_43 #23 Posted May 03 2012 - 21:27

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3938 battles
Well, at least my 8th-grade US history teacher knew what the Bismarck was... LOL!

This year, I had to correct my 11th-grade US History teacher on the U-2 spyplane's maximum operating altitude.

dingofire121094 #24 Posted Jun 04 2012 - 01:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 2557 battles
i know it can be pain full  i think its appaty.

We watched a very graphic documentary on the detonation of nuclar bombs on japan ,  the main source of the images were from medical research projects done by the millitary after the bombs were used. No one even thought to question the morality or even seemed to take in the seriousness of the subject matter , also when watching ww 2 battale fotage people laughed at some of the way thta soldiers died that was  fd up i mean what kind of kids are we raising , but i guss thats what i get for living in the town where every one is superfical and spends money to look gheto.

DerPanzerKult #25 Posted Jun 04 2012 - 12:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11944 battles
Growing up when I did, toy stores were well stocked with WW2 diecast and scale model tanks and airplanes. The comic stand had issues of Sgt. Rock, GI combat, Weird War Tales (paranormal ww2!) and numerous other titles. Bookstands were stocked with paperbacks from historical to serial (Sven Hassel!) and most important, the veterens were in their 50s, they still had impact on the everyday world.

It's not only the march of time that has taken a toll on WW2 consciencness, it's also a deliberate attempt to ignore history....look at this so called 'War on Terror'...those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, that's a promise.

dingofire121094 #26 Posted Jun 04 2012 - 23:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 2557 battles

View PostPanzerTango, on Jun 04 2012 - 12:34, said:

Growing up when I did, toy stores were well stocked with WW2 diecast and scale model tanks and airplanes. The comic stand had issues of Sgt. Rock, GI combat, Weird War Tales (paranormal ww2!) and numerous other titles. Bookstands were stocked with paperbacks from historical to serial (Sven Hassel!) and most important, the veterens were in their 50s, they still had impact on the everyday world.

It's not only the march of time that has taken a toll on WW2 consciencness, it's also a deliberate attempt to ignore history....look at this so called 'War on Terror'...those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it, that's a promise.

at an rc hobby store where i live called action hobbies they have over 200 different tank modles they have e 100 and weird half tracks dont worry modles have not died out

blurr91 #27 Posted Jun 05 2012 - 01:15

Major

• Players
  • 12321 battles

View PostGneisenau_43, on May 03 2012 - 21:27, said:

Well, at least my 8th-grade US history teacher knew what the Bismarck was... LOL!

That's easy.  Bismark is the capital of North Dakota. :Smile-hiding:

Gneisenau_43 #28 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 04:33

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3938 battles

View Postblurr91, on Jun 05 2012 - 01:15, said:

That's easy.  Bismark is the capital of North Dakota. :Smile-hiding:

Lol.

That, and she also knew the song "Sink the Bismarck" by Johnny Horton.

firescout555 #29 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 05:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 3806 battles

View PostOrignalWolf, on May 03 2012 - 04:01, said:

Hate to tell you guys this, but not everyone shares an intrest in history like us fourm lurkers do. Everyone has a different intrest. Can you honestly say you know every variation of fabric there is in the world? Seems totally boring to be that sepcialized in a subject, but there are people who know that kind of thing.That being said, it is not unreasonable to expect to know MAJOR events in history, like dropping the Bomb, etc, just like I understand basic fabric types like cotton or polyester. I am a history major, I hang out with history geeks all day, and a large percentage of them know next to nothing about combat, much less names of tanks in WWII. They are interested in another part of history, and thats fine. We need people to diversify their knowledge base from others.

agreed, and sometimes history does turns around and haunt us again

i still remember some portion of my history lesson, not much on the western side. it was a touch and go thing, and more emphasis on south east asia.
even then it is also a touch and go thing.
it was only recently i visited a historic war site/memorial then i realize that the british actually fielded tracked vehicles in combat(the historic video only show wrecked bren carriers as japanese tank went past them)
That and the usual bicycle troops stuff

HostileTankCommander #30 Posted Jun 10 2012 - 07:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 1322 battles
iI'm always the knowledgalbe one in my history class.....

That fact that I love WWII history so much probably has something to do with it.

I have a Chinese Mauser, i did a lot of research into it(forgot my notes......grrr).

It pains me when my classmates ans schoolma6tes in general don't know history.

I point out what type of aircraft is in the sky and they are so *insert words here* about the airplane that I have to teach a little, only to be called a nerd later, but I have a passion for tanks, guns, and airplanes

just who I am, (just like unfortunetly they are)

Dredhawk #31 Posted Jun 10 2012 - 08:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14802 battles
Not everyone into War history or history in general I know more history  then all my Family combined there more into the here and know not the past......

ZeroV #32 Posted Jun 23 2012 - 20:01

Captain

• Players
  • 4499 battles
Back when I was in HS (2003-2005) my history teachers rocked when it came to knowing these things, as well as going into non-traditional branches such as the crazier ideas of some of the wars. I remember having the M16's Ammonia detector explained to us (You know the crazy idea in Vietnam that your rifle could be made to "smell your enemies")

Stryker214 #33 Posted Jun 24 2012 - 01:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 2790 battles
  • [CD] CD

View PostCharrette, on Mar 29 2012 - 02:45, said:

well I think the teacher might be forgiven for not knowing the particulars of the firearms and weapons used in WWII. I have also found that most people are not particularly knowledgeable about areas that fall outside of their hobby, so it is understandable -- if not entirely forgivable -- that your classmates don't know much about WWII.  It is, after all, "boring history stuff."

The more I learn, the more I realize that I haven't learned much, comparatively speaking.

on the other hand, how ignorant does one have to be to not know what a Tiger tank is? How does a modern, Western individual go through life without having seen the hilarious movie called "Kelly's Heroes"? I guess some people just thionk if it's older than they are it is "old crap" and worthless...

lpmaster #34 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 18:54

Major

• Players
  • 6382 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO

View PostCharrette, on Mar 29 2012 - 02:45, said:

well I think the teacher might be forgiven for not knowing the particulars of the firearms and weapons used in WWII. I have also found that most people are not particularly knowledgeable about areas that fall outside of their hobby, so it is understandable -- if not entirely forgivable -- that your classmates don't know much about WWII.  It is, after all, "boring history stuff."

The more I learn, the more I realize that I haven't learned much, comparatively speaking.

What's boring about blowing S*** up?

lpmaster #35 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 19:04

Major

• Players
  • 6382 battles
  • [ANZIO] ANZIO
In all seriousness, I think kids have to get their info because parents generally don't like their kids to know about war. (going through it right now) I actually gave major Flak to my little brother because he was laughing at people dying in Pearl Harbor while I was playing MoH, turns out he thought it was a fictional event. My Father served in the military, (22nd regiment of the Canadian Corps.) And I know more about WWII, WWI, and modern day weaponry than him, though he knows his share and often surprises me with a tidbit I didn't know about.

Windhover118 #36 Posted Jul 08 2012 - 07:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15182 battles
  • [IJAG] IJAG
Not knowing alot about history and WWII is forgivable but what I hated in high school history was all the kids who kept complaining cause "History doesnt matter". Almost lost my faith in humanity when I heard the other student say that.

HostileTankCommander #37 Posted Jul 10 2012 - 07:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 1322 battles

View Postlpmaster, on Jul 04 2012 - 18:54, said:

What's boring about blowing S*** up?

god that is a good question!

Blowing things up for fun is awesome!!!

View PostWindhover118, on Jul 08 2012 - 07:02, said:

Not knowing alot about history and WWII is forgivable but what I hated in high school history was all the kids who kept complaining cause "History doesnt matter". Almost lost my faith in humanity when I heard the other student say that.

true that, History can repeat itself...especially if people don't know their history or are not interested in learning it.

It matters in a really big scale, no matter what anyone says.

Edited by HostileTankCommander, Jul 10 2012 - 07:40.

ysoignorant #38 Posted Jul 10 2012 - 08:29

Major

• Players
  • 19284 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Must be nice to get off the topic of World War I. Too bad my history teacher had an addiction to it.

HostileTankCommander #39 Posted Jul 10 2012 - 12:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 1322 battles

View Postysoignorant, on Jul 10 2012 - 08:29, said:

Must be nice to get off the topic of World War I. Too bad my history teacher had an addiction to it.
my favorite WWI thing....UK enfield "mad minute" made the germans think machineguns where being fired at them...but it really english riflemen..hehehe

Edited by HostileTankCommander, Jul 10 2012 - 12:59.

FreeFOXMIKE #40 Posted Jul 10 2012 - 13:28

Major

• Players
  • 16973 battles
  • [23RDB] 23RDB
so true I had one tell my kid that Black were excluded from WW2 and they served here in the US. I bout lost my mind (what lil I got left) and went up there and told them about the 614 Anti Tank unit (towed) the 761st Tank Brigade ,and the Tuskegee Airman( 99th,100,301,and 302 that formed the 332nd Fighter Group)

I ended up staying the whole day repeating the "class" then provided them with links,and even used the WoT game to show of a few tanks.

They have now had a member of the 332nd over as a guest speaker at a school assembly