Improving Win Rate

Improving Win loss mindset guide new player Practice Goal Win Rate get better

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
148 replies to this topic

montanakennedy #1 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 16:53

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

NOTE: I created a sequel to this post that focuses on mechanics more than mindset.

When you get done with this, please follow the link to Improving Win Rate, Part Deux!

Disclaimer:
Spoiler                     

We have all seen the swinging ePeens in the forum and in chat: "That sounds great - what with your XX% win rate..."

If you get grumpy when you lose, when you see that someone else has a higher win rate, and when you see your win rate drop or your loss rate go up, take heart! Just by coming to the forums, it shows you want to get better.

There are other topics that have covered the meaning of the Win Rate, Interpretations of Win Rate in-game, Win Rate Distribution (and off-forum HERE), and how to play better and more effectively (And don't forget to check under the nationality/vehicle type directories). I particularly like Garbad's thread, What correlates with win rates?(didn't say I agree with him on everything... :biggrin: ). However, I have yet to see someone put into concrete terms exactly what 1% means in this game.

And, yes, while this is a TEAM game, a team is made of individuals. If you have a great pitcher and hitters, what happens if the infield keeps committing errors? If your garage band sounds really good, but the drummer keeps speeding up and the bass player forgets the chord changes, what do you do? These individuals practice and improve or they make the team fail. If the individual improves, the team improves.

The key here is that the skill of the individual can swing the battle. I would bet that, no matter your ability, you can point to an act you took, on purpose, that positively affected the battle.
  • You pulled back from the main thrust to bolster the flank and ended up as the sole survivor on that flank, having finished the last enemy there.
  • You sacrificed yourself to block a bridge or narrow, provide a benchrest for an ally, reset a cap, or just held up an enemy for the 5-10 seconds your team needed.
  • Saw a scout retreating from one lane so you displaced to the alternate and popped him before he got to your arty.
(If you have examples of how you or others made a conscious decision that positively affected the battle, please send it to me or post in the comments)

Why do I feel it is important enough to make a thread about this?
The reason I wrote this short guide was that I was average. I was right at 48-49% - center of mass for the American server. I wanted to get above 50% overall (higher would be nice, but is now statistically problematic with my near 4000 battles). I am there.

I used to show a bunch of old screen caps from different stat tracking apps. I think this works better.

Battles W/L%  KDR   Dam  XP
4353	50.0  0.89  426  273
5448	51.0  1.01  515  333
6896	51.5  1.05  575  377
8065	51.9  1.10  620  408
9114	51.7  1.13  649  557 <--- Post 8.2 doldrums... between that patch and the Holiday x5, there were some CRAZY WEIRD teams...And I am not sure what is up with the XP... that's what I get for trusting online apps based on a separate database.
10000   52.0  1.16  674  442

If you look, you will see the improvement in my stats. Part of this improvement (Damage and Experience Rate) is a result of more games played at higher tiers. KDR, I feel, is irrelevant to tier. I think this has been improving as a direct result of trying to cause more effective damage and making sure that I kill targets (whether being the lucky shot in sequence on a focus fire or someone I knock out on my own). The win rate speaks for itself. It went higher.

So, What will it take to increase my win rate?

Part One: Starting Out

Spoiler                     

Part Two: Take it Up a Notch

Spoiler                     

Part Three: Win ONE Battle

Spoiler                     

Part Four: The Icing for your Cake

Spoiler                     

Part The Last: Quotes on Mindset and wanting to change: (some edited)

Spoiler                     

Final thought:
Remember that win rate has nothing to do with losses. Win rate is the total number of wins divided by the total number of battles. This means draws will hurt your win rate as much as losses will. So - No Camping. the belief that draws are better than losses has no basis in reality. (As an aside - all rates are rounded. If you have a win rate of 49.5000000000001, congrats, the game calls it a 50%)

I hope this helps you to improve your game and to understand that you can't improve your game by just going out and blasting targets. Focus on how to improve and work on it.

Now, if your brain has yet to explode, please follow the link to Improving Win Rate, Part Deux!

Edited by montanakennedy, Mar 12 2013 - 20:25.

paradat #2 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 16:59

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Good post and I agree. Make it a Goal and seriously work on hit rate. Personaly I have been increasing my win rate for the last couple of months. I am consistenly winning more than I loose now. Nice to see the steady improvement in stats.

knight7000 #3 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 17:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
but doesn't it MORE than 1 person to win a battle?

_Ruffles_ #4 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 17:10

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Also- Drive a tank that you enjoy. I've been in many situations where my team looked like it was going to lose, only to be saved by people who know their tanks (Like myself on the IS-3, got two Boelters with the thing) and exploit their pros to their fullest.

I have a replay that shows you how I drove my IS-3 (I admit I made a couple of stupid moves like backing up with my front not exactly pointed at the current tank that's aimed at me, about 3:20 into the video and when I didn't aim fully at the moving KV-5, 4:38 ish)

montanakennedy #5 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 17:11

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postknight7000, on Mar 29 2012 - 17:05, said:

but doesn't it MORE than 1 person to win a battle?
Fixed the -1 someone gave you.

It does take more than one person. It takes a team. However, what happens if the both of the guys going out on a flank aren't up to the task? The flank falls and the game is a loss. (this can apply to any person in the game - many thrust heavy, SPGs, TDs, Light, etc.)

My hope is that one person - JUST ONE PERSON - can improve. If that one person improves, your team's survival chance improves.

Dukebarry #6 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 17:25

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Great post. I think a few things that affect win rate (other than those you stated) are playing in company battles and clan wars (usually drives your win rate up) . I know I lost focus on win rate when I started grinding up the tank trees. All I wanted was my first tier 10, my win rate went from 54% to 50%. Then I became CO of a large clan and had to train noobs. My win rate went to 49%.
Now I have all the tanks I could want and belong to a new clan with a better focus and I am bringing my win rate back up.

montanakennedy #7 Posted Mar 29 2012 - 17:32

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDukebarry, on Mar 29 2012 - 17:25, said:

I think a few things that affect win rate (other than those you stated) are playing in company battles and clan wars (usually drives your win rate up).
Thanks for the nod. I appreciate your experience and can see how that will help.

I did one night of medium company battles and it was mostly wins using our clan teamspeak. I have not participated in clan wars, but I question your logic. There has to be a loser. If your clan wins a lot, that means that others are losing. Not everyone can be the top dog.

Also, while I am in a clan as well and some of my battles have been in platoons, most of my improvement has been in PUBs.

montanakennedy #8 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 17:14

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postknight7000, on Mar 29 2012 - 17:05, said:

View Post_Ruffles_, on Mar 29 2012 - 17:10, said:

Thanks for the suggestions/comments above! Incorporated into the OP.

c0r3 #9 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 17:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
What is frustrating is when you sometimes play really well and the rest of your team doesn't, and even if you try and pass on tactics it is often ignored. I personally have %52 win rate, only so much of that is down to how I perform personally. So yes in theory being a better player can increase your win rate, but in reality it's more about the sort of team you get coupled with plus your own skill/performance.

montanakennedy #10 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 19:44

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
There is definitely some luck of the draw, but if it was solely up to the team, we would all have 48-49%.

[[[[rolled some things into the OP]]]]

SumiXam #11 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 20:24

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postmontanakennedy, on Mar 29 2012 - 16:53, said:

Example 2:
When I moved from the Hetzer to the StuG III, I played the StuG like a Hetzer. and failed. bad. I had a 54.7% in the Hetzer over 128 battles. In the StuG? 36%  <_< This was in about 128 battles. Yes. I slogged that long playing that badly. I sold the StuG.

3 Months later, I repurchased it. I started playing it like a StuG - not a Hetzer. Now? at 268 battles, I have a 47.4%. This is still below average overall, but in the period since I repurchased it, I have an effective win rate of 57.9%. THAT is when the enjoyment kicks in.

Win ONE Battle
What is 1%? It is one battle. One battle out of one hundred, sure, but it is still just ONE battle. It sounds simple, and it is.

If you win one more game per hundred MORE than you are winning now, your W/L will go up. If you win 47/100 right now, winning one more per hundred will get you a 48/100. Unfortunately, this is regressive. If you have 1000 battles under your belt, this is 10 games IN ADDITION to the 1 game you need to win. So, you now need to win 11 extra battles in the next hundred. Figure that if you are really successful in turning around you game, this will likely be 13 extra wins over the next 300. To make it easier to see:
Battles	Wins	%/100   %/total   Extra Ws
 1000	  490	 49.00%   49.00%	 - - 
 1100	  543	 53.00%   49.36%	  4
 1200	  596	 53.00%   49.67%	  4
 1300	  650	 54.00%   50.00%	  5
If you look closely at the chart, you are effectively improving your recent win average by a MUCH higher number. This is one of the reasons why I like Tank Tracker (look in my sig file). I went from a 48% to 50% over the last few hundred battles by improving my recent W/L to 54% or more (at times).

@montanakennedy...this is a great thread and hopefully won't descend into the petty 'stats mean nothing' and 'stats mean everything' wars. I cut the part of your thread that stood out to me the most. It's important to realize that someone can be currently performing at a much higher level than their overall stats indicate.

Just like the OP, I like Tank Tracker because it shows you what is happening over time and not just giving you the cumulative historical numbers. The WoT Assistant app for iPhone and Android smart phones also does this, but not to Tank Tracker's detail. Great stuff. Thanks for putting it together.

*Edit* I'm out of +1 for the day. This thread deserves it.

SumiXam #12 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 20:42

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postmontanakennedy, on Mar 30 2012 - 19:44, said:

There is definitely some luck of the draw, but if it was solely up to the team, we would all have 48-49%.

The key here is that the skill of the individual can swing the battle. I would bet that with a 52%, you have a battle or two out of every 10-15 in which you can point to at least one act you took, on purpose, that positively affected the battle.
  • You pulled back from the main thrust to bolster the flank and ended up as the sole survivor on that flank, having finished the last enemy there.
  • You sacrificed yourself to block a bridge or narrow, provide a benchrest for an ally, reset a cap, or just held up an enemy for the 5-10 seconds your team needed.
  • Saw a scout retreating from one lane so you displaced to the alternate and popped him before he got to your arty.
I would be interested in other examples of how you or others swung the battle.

Here are some things I've seen that turned the tide of the battle.
  • Me in an M4 (lowest tank on the roster...highest tanks are Tier 8) hiding behind a fallen tank in the cap during the last minutes of the battle. I'm pinned from enemy fire coming from several directions and it's only a matter of time before they position to take me out. An allied T25 AT swoops in blocking the only other angle where I am potentially exposed to enemy fire and almost immediately is destroyed. We win in the last minute because I don't get hit to reset the cap. Was it me...nope, it was the T25 AT's quick thinking to sacrifice himself in order to win the battle.
  • On occasion I've chosen to leave a flank in order to push to the enemy cap circle for the win knowing full well my allied arty will be destroyed by advancing enemies. It's a calculated risk based on whether or not we can likely repel the impending attack or split their force by capping (or in most cases they don't send back a defender).
  • Watch the little map thingy in the lower right-hand corner. Seriously, if more players used the information on the mini map to their advantage I think they'd be shocked at the results.
  • Know when to walk away, know when to run. Fight/divert the enemy while reversing back to a safer position or get out Dodge and setup an ambush.

These are just a few things, but the real key to doing well is a combination of battle awareness, knowing what your tank can and can't do to the very limits of its capabilities and understanding your enemy & how to exploit a tactical advantage when the odds are against you.

TLDR -- Learn to play the odds.

montanakennedy #13 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 20:56

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSumiXam, on Mar 30 2012 - 20:42, said:

• Know when to walk away, know when to run. Fight/divert the enemy while reversing back to a safer position or get out Dodge and setup an ambush.
There is a reverse gear??? Seriously???

Yes, Virginia, there is a reverse gear. I may want to add: Know when to slow down/back up

c0r3 #14 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 20:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Indeed I can think of many actions I took for the win. Re-enforcing a troubled flank, taking a massive risk to reset the cap, or indeed spending some time on the enemy cap as a ploy to relive pressure on the team, forcing the enemy to come back and deal with me.

The problem is all too often players aren't willing to do this sort of thing, and would rather hide or suicide, or some other useless extreme option, and if they are on your team it can mean another unnecessary loss.

montanakennedy #15 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 14:39

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postc0r3, on Mar 30 2012 - 20:56, said:

The problem is all too often players aren't willing to do this sort of thing, and would rather hide or suicide, or some other useless extreme option, and if they are on your team it can mean another unnecessary loss.
Yep. There is nothing you can do to stop this (other than to not do it yourself).

If someone is reading this and takes it to heart, they will hopefully get to the point they can capitalize on the insanity of teammates.

Tazilon #16 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 16:12

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Another good stat program is WoT Logger 2

DOWNLOAD HERE

montanakennedy #17 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 16:57

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostTazilon, on Apr 03 2012 - 16:12, said:

Another good stat program is WoT Logger 2
Thanks, I hadn't seen that one. I added it to the above list.

1M4N5H0W #18 Posted Apr 05 2012 - 11:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I fully agree with the statement og checking your mini map. (OMG! There's a minimap?!) Its frustrating to see an enemy scout zip through a gap and head straight for the arty and everybody ignores the map pings. I know I am not perfect and I have a lot to learn, but learning to use the mini map is a MUST in WoT!

montanakennedy #19 Posted Apr 05 2012 - 14:40

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSumiXam, on Mar 30 2012 - 20:42, said:

Here are some things I've seen that turned the tide of the battle.
  • Watch the little map thingy in the lower right-hand corner. Seriously, if more players used the information on the mini map to their advantage I think they'd be shocked at the results.

View Postmontanakennedy, on Mar 30 2012 - 20:56, said:

Yes, Virginia, there is a reverse gear. I may want to add: Know when to slow down/back up

View Post1M4N5H0W, on Apr 05 2012 - 11:32, said:

I fully agree with the statement og checking your mini map. (OMG! There's a minimap?!) Its frustrating to see an enemy scout zip through a gap and head straight for the arty and everybody ignores the map pings. I know I am not perfect and I have a lot to learn, but learning to use the mini map is a MUST in WoT!
Added these and others to a new section. If you have something you would like to see added, let me know.

montanakennedy #20 Posted Apr 09 2012 - 21:49

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Added link to and description of WoT-News stats tool