fatkiddown's Guide To Skills & Perks

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
247 replies to this topic

fatkiddown #1 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 20:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21184 battles
  • [S0B] S0B
Disclaimer:
*PLEASE READ BEFORE REPLYING*
Spoiler                     

At-a-Glance:
Spoiler                     

Factoids:

In re:
  • Skills – These are in effect immediately upon the start of training. They improve in effectiveness as you increase the % of training in the skill. I.e., they work from the lowest % of xp in that Skill [Note: in a sense, all skills work, period, within the game, even if no crewman is trained in it; selecting a Skill to be trained in, simply improves that in-game ability; &/or, each Skill impacts an already present, in-game attribute].
  • Perks – These are activated once you have reached 100% training in the specific Perk. I.e., it will not work at all until 100% maxed. Unlike Skills, some Perks bring features to the game that do not exist otherwise.
By The Numbers:
  • There are 25 Total Skills & Perks
  • There are 15 Skills
  • There are 10 Perks
Crew Facts:
Skills:
  • 3 Skills all crew members can have: Repair, Firefighting, Camouflage
  • 3 Skills are only for the Commander: Mentor, Recon, Jack of All Trades
  • 2 Skills are only for Gunners: Armorer, Snap Shot
  • 4 Skills are only for Drivers: Clutch Braking, Smooth Ride, Off-Road Driving, Controlled Impact
  • 3 Skills are only for Radio Operators: Signal Boosting, Situtational Awareness, Relaying
  • 0 Skills are only for Loaders: N/A [Note: Loaders have no specific Skills; albeit, they can use the 3 "All" Skills]
Perks:
  • 1 Perk all crew members can have: Brothers in Arms
  • 2 Perks are only for the Commander: Sixth Sense, Eagle Eye
  • 2 Perks are only for Gunners: Deadeye, Designated Target
  • 1 Perk is only for Drivers: Preventative Maintenance
  • 1 Perk is only for Radio Operators: Call for Vengeance
  • 3 Perks are only for Loaders: Safe Stowage, Adrenaline Rush, Intuition
Total Skills/Perks Available To Each Crewman:
  • 9 Commander
  • 8 Gunner
  • 9 Driver
  • 8 Radio Operator
  • 7 Loader
Limit of Crew Skills & Perks:
Short Answer:
  • Limitless Skills & Perks are available to each crew member, within their alloted set
  • It would take 53,776,322.52 xp to get the 9th Skill/Perk.
Long Answer:
Spoiler                     

Crew Experience: The Grind In Mind:
Some Handy Tools To Calculate XP
  • HvyMtlChaos has provided an astute analysis of just what you'll need to grind to get all possible Skills & Perks for your crew.  His work can found: Here
  • HvyMtlChaos has also given us an incredible break-down and analysis of how crews earn experience in battle.  You can find his keen analysis Here.
  • PTwr has shared This XP Calculator to help figure out xp needed to get to the skill desired level.
Crew Hall of Fame:
Here are listed crews with the greatest experience levels and/or, level of Skills & Perks that I am yet aware of:
[Note: please submit your own if into, at least, the 5th level of Skills/Perks; provide a screenshot of your crew per the example below]
Spoiler                     

Inter alia:
  • Sequence: You can choose to train a crewman in a Skill or Perk.  There is no sequence, albeit, there is advice (see below).
  • Multiple Skills/Perks & Resetting: A crewman cannot train in another Skill or Perk until the current is maxed at 100% &/or the "Drop Skills & Perks" option is exercised, from the crewman's "Personnel File" property sheet.
  • Dropping/Resetting Skills & Perks: Dropping &/or resetting Skill & Perks can be done for free (maintaining 80% of earned xp), for credits (maintaining 90% of earned xp) or for gold (maintaining 100% of earned xp).
  • Not all Skills & Perks are available to all crews in all tanks.  E.g., some tanks house only 2 crewmen.  In these, one crewman fills the roles of multiple others, such as the Commander filling the roles of Gunner, Loader, etc.  In this situation, the specific skills for the Gunner, Loader, etc., will be unavailable to the Commander, who will only have access to Commander-specific Skills & Perks (and, of course, any "All" Skills & Perks).
Skills:

All:

Posted Image
Repair: Increased repair speed: % depends on level trained & number of crew trained in skill; note: time to repair has apparently been increased
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: still considered _the_ most essential skill. Heavies especially need this.

Posted Image
Firefighting: Increased firefighting speed: % depends on level trained & number of crew trained in skill
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: simply put, Consumables: Manual &/or Automatic Fire Extinguishers are more effective. However, if you do not plan to equip these consumables, this Skill is important.

Posted Image
Camouflage: Increased "hide" ability: % depends on level trained & number of crew trained in skill
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: still necessary for TDs and snipers; some suggest adding to loaders as secondary skill on heavies, mediums, lights and artillery.

Commander Skills:

Posted Image
Mentor: +10% xp to crew
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: get 1st for maximum effect; note: training boost is a % of Commander's level in this Skill, i.e., @10%, crew gets +1% bonus, @20%, 2%, etc.; note2: this skill can be dropped from the Commander at any time, to be replaced by another Skill/Perk; i.e., once you feel crew training is complete; or, once all crew training is accomplished, this Skill has no further function; note3: the Commander gets no training bonus from this skill, only the rest of the crew.

Posted Image
Recon: +2% view range (if optics good)/+20% view range (if optics damaged)
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: good for any vehicle except artillery.

Posted Image
Jack of All Trades: Commander replaces dead/wounded crewmen: 1st crewman 50%, 2nd crewman 25%, etc.
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: good skill for scouts, as crew lost more frequently.

Gunner Skills:

Posted Image
Armorer: -20% damaged-gun dispersion
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: not needed if carrying Consumable: Repair Kit.

Posted Image
Snap Shot: -7.5% gun dispersion due to turret rotation
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: best used on mediums; note: works on both turreted _and_ turretless vehicles;
Overlord confusion:
Spoiler                     

Driver Skills:

Posted Image
Clutch Braking: +5% traverse speed/vehicle rotation
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: Good for non-turreted vehicles (artillery, TDs) or tanks with low traverse (e.g., KV); handy for any vehicle.

Posted Image
Smooth Ride: -4% gun dispersion due to vehicle movement
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: good on lights as possible secondary.

Posted Image
Off-Road Driving: +10%/+2.5% mobility soft/normal ground
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: good on lights as possible secondary; note: some suggest this skill made a significant difference during testing.

Posted Image
Controlled Impact: +15%/-15% damage dealt/taken when ramming
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: great for ramming mediums such as the E-50, however, does not work vs. artillery normally due to mobility factor; some recommend against due to this fact. Personally, I love ramming in my KV-5, and may use there.

Radio Operator Skills:

Posted Image
Signal Boosting: +20% radio signal range
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: Great for lights and good on heavies and mediums; useful on all vehicles.

Posted Image
Situational Awareness: +3% view range
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: highly recommended.

Posted Image
Relaying: +10% radio range for all allies within your signal
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: get after Signal Boosting.

Perks
[Note: Perks were introduced in version 7.2]

All:

Posted Image
Brothers in Arms: +5% to skill levels
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: great to have; note: _all_ crew must have it; note2: _all_ crew must have it at 100% or does not work at all; i.e., if you have one or more crewmen maxed in it, it is still inactive -- or "off" -- until the rest finish it 100%; note3: best to get if open slots available after choosing others; note4: this Perk works even if there are dead crew members
Dev confusion:
Spoiler                     

Commander:

Posted Image
Sixth Sense: Warning on being spotted: 3 seconds
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: great for TDs and scouts. Note: artillery players also swear by this Perk, as it will show whether or not an early scout has spotted you.
Example: Note the big, red light bulb in the center of the screen. It only stays lit a couple seconds. A good time to run away, and reset.
Spoiler                     
Example2: Here, we see Sixth Sense going active in Artillery, Strategic View:
Spoiler                     

Posted Image
Eagle Eye: can spot critical damage on enemy: 4 seconds
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: not highly recommended.
Example: Note the small icons beneath the enemy tank denoting damaged modules.
Spoiler                     

Gunner:

Posted Image
Deadeye: +3% chance to critical damage
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: great for TDs and slow vehicles with slow reload.

Posted Image
Designated Target: 2 second increase to spotting enemies
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: must-have for TDs; note: apparently, "Designated Target" works with SPGs, but will not work in artillery, "arty mode," v.i. This makes this Perk less desirable for artillery.

Driver:

http://img806.images...maintenance.jpg
Preventative Maintenance: -25% chance of engine fire
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: not highly recommended, only useful _after_ Clutch Braking, et al.

Radio Operator:

http://img607.images...ngeanceicon.jpg
Call for Vengeance: spot on enemy lasts 2 more seconds
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: this should be the 1st choice for scouts.

Loader:

http://img11.imagesh...stowageicon.jpg
Safe Stowage: +12.5% to ammo rack durability
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: this seems to be one of the least favored skills/perks by testers.

http://img854.images...inerushicon.jpg
Adrenaline Rush: +10% increase to reload speed
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: one of the highest rated skills/perk by testers.

http://img17.imagesh...tioniconfkd.jpg
Intuition: 17% chance of no wait btwn different ammo loads
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: considered the worst skill/perk of all by testers.

Addendum:

Sources:
World of Tanks: Full Guide: Crew Skills and Perks Use for Various Vehicle Types
Wiki: World of Tanks: Crew: Skills and Perks

Commentary:
Spoiler                     

Overlord:
Overlord's comments on 7.2 Skills & Perks.
Spoiler                     

Q&A On Skills & Perks:
Developer answers to questions regarding Skills & Perks.
Spoiler                     

Polls:
Results from a handful of polls and player feedback on each Skill & Perk.
Spoiler                     

Charts: [Note: Experimental]
Spoiler                     

History:
Spoiler                     

Spoiler                     

fatkiddown.com

Edited by fatkiddown, May 18 2012 - 17:18.

Comrade_Zhukov #2 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 20:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8943 battles
Good guide, +1.
Is there any information on what the actual effect of repair is?  I heard that it got buffed by 200%, but how long does it take for an elite crew of 5 to repair a module?

Also, this is from the EU forums, and provides some numerical values:
http://forum.worldof...rs/page__st__20

drowzee #3 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 21:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10075 battles
Here is a quick image reference I made a while ago with most of the above info.
Spoiler                     

I would also like to credit the original source DedoOK who translated this information from wot-news.com:
http://forum.worldof...91#entry1592291

Qumefox #4 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 22:18

Major

• Players
  • 14324 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Brothers in arms is the equivalent of 'improved ventilation' by the way.. At least when your crew have it 100% and are all alive.  I'd recommend it for vehicles that can't use vents. Open top TD's and SPG's, for example.

drowzee #5 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 22:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10075 battles

View Postfatkiddown, on Mar 30 2012 - 20:11, said:

All:
-Brothers in Arms: +5% to skill levels note3: some sites state only 3% increase]
+5% increase in primary
BIA is indeed 5% as shown in game when you mouse over a crew member that has it. However, it is effectively more like 3%. Vents behave the same way. Full explanation:

Concerning Brother in Arms (in your garage you see +5% more skill for each crew member). But those 5% doesent add to 100% crew skill + 11% (bonus from commander) + 5% (crew ventilation), instead its only 5% of the orginial crew 100%. Let me explain in numbers (I also consider you`re using crew ventilation) :

100 + 11% + 5% + 5% = 122,37 > 100 + 11% + 5% + (5% din 100) = 121.55 (<-actual value in game during combat, tested using crosshair reload mods)

So we perceive a smaller effective increase than 5%. I hope you get my point showed in numbers.
http://forum.worldof...ost__p__1631202

-Adrenaline Rush: +10% increase to reload speed note3: another source states this perk kicks-in when hp fall below 10%]
Improves reloading time by +10% when vehicle has low hp. If more than one Loader has this perk, the effect is not cumulative.
It does indeed only kick in when the vehicle has less than 10% of its hit points left. It says this in the in-game description.

View PostComrade_Zhukov, on Mar 30 2012 - 20:27, said:

Is there any information on what the actual effect of repair is?  
http://forum.worldof...rs/page__st__20

Several players have tested 100% repairs and the consensus seems to be about halving repair time. So, it is more effective than toolbox. It can also stack with toolbox. See: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=s_O5aPTSn44

That is the same result reported in the thread you linked as well.

OscarZulu #6 Posted Mar 30 2012 - 22:51

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12903 battles
  • [D-INC] D-INC

*EDIT* Due to the criticism of "You wrote a wall of text," I have split the content out mo'betta, added pretty colors, and tl'dr-ed the "Advice" section.

I preferred the first iteration ... can't please everybody!

Oz
:Smile-izmena:

fatkiddown #7 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 01:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21184 battles
  • [S0B] S0B

View Post_Loner_, on Mar 30 2012 - 22:21, said:

It does indeed only kick in when the vehicle has less than 10% of its hit points left. It says this in the in-game description.

The in-game descriptions can be incorrect, as has been proven for several skill descriptions (see my "wall of text"). Still, I am in no way arguing otherwise.  As is well known, secondary and tertiary sources have proven, often, more reliable.

Several players have tested 100% repairs and the consensus seems to be about a 50% faster repair time. So, it is more effective than toolbox.

I concur that 50% increase is faster than 25% increase....

It can also stack with toolbox. See: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=s_O5aPTSn44

However, in your graphic, stating a flat 50% increase is overly simplistic.  An explanation helps of course: the percentage is affected by: the number of crews having the skill, the % trained in, etc.  New players reading "50%" will leave it at that.  What you mean is, I _think_, is if all crew in vehicle are trained 100% _then_ increase is 50%.

Good info none-the-less, but as always, all we can do is get close to the truth, since WG does _not_ release full info.  Or, as Overlord put it regarding the wiki, "it's mostly right...."

drowzee #8 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 01:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10075 battles
Sorry, I did not mean to insult your guide as a wall of text.

View Postfatkiddown, on Mar 31 2012 - 01:07, said:

However, in your graphic, stating a flat 50% increase is overly simplistic.  An explanation helps of course: the percentage is affected by: the number of crews having the skill, the % trained in, etc.  New players reading "50%" will leave it at that.  What you mean is, I _think_, is if all crew in vehicle are trained 100% _then_ increase is 50%.

You are right. Saying 50% is oversimplifying. I took that out of my image.

It is unfortunate that WG won't just officially release this info instead of leaving us guessing and testing.

BTW to people reading this thread the wiki has been updated with the new skills:
http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Crew

fatkiddown #9 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 01:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21184 battles
  • [S0B] S0B

View Post_Loner_, on Mar 31 2012 - 01:19, said:

Sorry, I did not mean to insult your guide as a wall of text. It is a good collection of information and you did a good job. I will be linking people to it.

It is unfortunate that WG won't just officially release this info instead of leaving us guessing and testing.

BTW to people reading this thread the wiki has been updated with the new skills:
http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Crew

lol! not insulted in the least.  Found it cute.  Find you cute :P

I ultimately trust no sources.  However, I have the utmost respect for Snib's work, as he presents just raw data.  When I read the stuff I put together -- and the stuff you've pasted -- I groan a bit.  It assumes much, presents no proof, and, well, it's just what it is.

WG does _not_ release its data, and only hard figures matter.

My original post here is a lot of trite.  And if _anyone_ states they have proved something "by testing" then they should provide those results....

People read the forums and spout stuff as "fact" all the time.  I say it's a % of fact....

drowzee #10 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 01:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10075 battles
There were a couple good threads in the 7.2 test server archive forum where people did actual testing in training rooms. Unfortunately, the test server forum was removed.

Here is a good thread on the EU forum that confirms a lot of these numbers through actual testing. The OP explains his procedures too:
http://forum.worldof...ew-skill-tests/

ijazR #11 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 01:48

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 16278 battles
-Smooth Ride: -4% gun dispersion due to vehicle movement Spoiler   [New in 7.2; note: this skill was called, "Cruise Master"]
Reduces gun dispersion caused by movement by 0.04% PSL (or -4% @100%).  This figure does not include turret or vehicle rotation. Cumulation:  Equipment: Vertical Stabilizer. Advice/tl;dr: good on lights as possible secondary.

Dose this helps to the artys moving after shots to avoid counter. if dose helps how effective is it, is it worth to get it in arty as 3rd skill?

fatkiddown #12 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 01:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21184 battles
  • [S0B] S0B

View Post_Loner_, on Mar 31 2012 - 01:42, said:

There were a couple good threads in the 7.2 test server archive forum where people did actual testing in training rooms. Unfortunately, the test server forum was removed.

Here is a good thread on the EU forum that confirms a lot of these numbers through actual testing. The OP explains his procedures too:
http://forum.worldof...ew-skill-tests/

Google cache is your friend....

oRandolpHo #13 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 04:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 9378 battles

" The duration an enemy is visible is increased within a small section of the gun view, w/in 10 degrees of the direction you were looking, increase is 2 seconds, after spotting has stopped "

Do I have to spot the enemy myself to make this skill work ?
Or the skill is still active despite the fact that the enemy is spotted by my teammates ?

Is the enemy visible for 2 seconds just for me ( who have the skill ) or my teammates ( that don't have the skill )
can see the enemy longer for 2 seconds too ?

thanks for any answer  :Smile_honoring:

asurmen32 #14 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 05:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 5358 battles
  • [-OP-] -OP-

-Brothers in Arms: +5% to skill levels
Spoiler                     
Advice/tl;dr: great to have, but worthless as soon as one crewman is dead/wounded; best to get if open slots available after choosing others.

found a typo =) the dead crew member part was removed now it works even if you have dead crew mates.

source: Wiki Brothers in arms

fatkiddown #15 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 05:47

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21184 battles
  • [S0B] S0B

View Postasurmen32, on Mar 31 2012 - 05:44, said:

found a typo =) the dead crew member part was removed now it works even if you have dead crew mates.

source: Wiki Brothers in arms

Fixed.

asurmen32 #16 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 05:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 5358 battles
  • [-OP-] -OP-
kk btw nice guide Fatkiddown  :Smile_honoring:

(you plan to fix your advice on Brothers in arms too?? or just leave as is  :lol:)

btw im not trying to be mean, just constructive =P

drowzee #17 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 06:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 10075 battles
BIA just got a little more attractive. Right now I am trying to decide whether or not to do BIA on all guys as my first skill or a mix instead.

oRandolpHo #18 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 08:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 9378 battles
Did the dev nerf the repair skill ??

My TigerII's crews all have 100 repair skill and I took so long, like 10 seconds to repair my track !!
What happened to the skill ?

Are you guys facing the same problem ?

fatkiddown #19 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 13:19

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21184 battles
  • [S0B] S0B

View PostoRandolpHo, on Mar 31 2012 - 08:49, said:

Did the dev nerf the repair skill ??

My TigerII's crews all have 100 repair skill and I took so long, like 10 seconds to repair my track !!
What happened to the skill ?

Are you guys facing the same problem ?

Yes.  I spent time reading cached Google threads from testers who stated repair time has been increased.  So, your experience of a longer repair time with all crew at 100% on Repair Skill is accurate.

oRandolpHo #20 Posted Mar 31 2012 - 13:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 9378 battles

View Postfatkiddown, on Mar 31 2012 - 13:19, said:

Yes.  I spent time reading cached Google threads from testers who stated repair time has been increased.  So, your experience of a longer repair time with all crew at 100% on Repair Skill is accurate.

Thank you for your answer  :Smile_honoring:

Could you please answer this too ?

" The duration an enemy is visible is increased within a small section of the gun view, w/in 10 degrees of the direction you were looking, increase is 2 seconds, after spotting has stopped "

Do I have to spot the enemy myself to make this skill work ?
Or the skill is still active despite the fact that the enemy is spotted by my teammates ?

Is the enemy visible for 2 seconds just for me ( who have the skill ) or my teammates ( that don't have the skill )
can see the enemy longer for 2 seconds too ?

thanks for any answer :Smile_honoring: