T49 - What is it really?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
91 replies to this topic

OmniJackal #1 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 12:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9086 battles
  • [F-3] F-3
So I got my T49 and I'm wondering if there is any effective use of it at all. It seems to me like some sort of jack of all tradese hybrid that tries to be something it isn't and ends up just sucking at everything. Please let me elaborate and then feel free to spam me with negative ratings. After you give a negative rating, feel free to tell me how you manage to use it effectively.

TD - Well it's a TD but it is crap at this role. The gun is inaccurate, takes too long to aim, takes too long to reload, doesn't do enough damage, and doesn't do enough penetration given the tanks base stats.
Scout - It has less armor, hit points, view distance, and radio range than scouts do so it sucks at this role too. Its only saving grace is that it is about as fast if not faster than some. (I just got 1 shot by a vk2801)

Firing on the move is absolutely a no go. Given the bad stats on the gun even moving the tank slightly is going to throw your shot way off. So do you play it like a traditional TD? No. If you get spotted at all any tank in the game (probably MS-1's included) is going to 1 or 2 shot you. Do you play like a mobile TD or lightly armed med by popping out of cover? No. Again, the aiming time is garbage so by the time you get that gun zeroed to the point when you think you're going to hit the target you're already dead or have already fired and missed at 50 meters. Do you act like a med that supports heavies by supporting heavies or meds? Maybe. But as soon as you're spotting you're a primary target because everyone knows they can 1 or 2 shot you. Threat or not, one less gun firing at you is just that so who wouldn't focus fire a T49? Do you save up free xp and just skip this pile of excrement? Yes. The only thing it does well is die extremely quickly so what is the point in playing it? It's a TD with the gun of a T1 heavy and half the armor and hp of a scout. What good is it??? Please educate me because the only fun in using it at this point is BEEEEAAARRRRGHGHGHGHing at targets of opportunity which, again, is already occupied by a tank much better suited for that role, the AMX loader line.

thetap #2 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 12:56

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 15209 battles
Wait until you get to the T25/2. T49 will seem like a wet dream.

OmniJackal #3 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 13:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9086 battles
  • [F-3] F-3

View Postthetap, on Apr 02 2012 - 12:56, said:

Wait until you get to the T25/2. T49 will seem like a wet dream.

That is disconcerting sir...

Nosjack #4 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 13:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9102 battles
Play it like the French lights, or any other tank that's fast but packs a punch.

For example: Play close support for the heavier tanks, blitz to a good firing position and snipe for a bit.

DO NOT go into a big fire-fight, UNLESS the enemy is few and you can effectively surprise them. You don't have the HP to sustain many shots. Not to mention your slow turret traverse will be your downfall when fighting more than one enemy up close.

Use your speed to your advantage, don't stand still unless you're in a good (i.e. protected) position to lay down some covering fire.

Your strengths are speed, small size, and ROF. Use all three by avoiding the enemy, and then sneaking up behind them when they forget about you.

I have 4 Top guns and over 45 kills in only ~35 battles, so far, this tank is one of my favorites out of ALL the tanks.

Danneskjold184 #5 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 14:02

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6709 battles
The T49 is a great tank.  It is a Mobile TD.  IT IS NOT A BRAWLER.  Use its mobility to keep from getting hit and to redeploy on the map where needed.  Use it's excellent gun depression to peak over hills.

If you see the enemy's gun aimed at you, redeploy.

tangojuliet #6 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 14:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 13889 battles
  • [R3ACT] R3ACT
if you get hit in a td your not playing it right imo

Ironcavalry #7 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 16:29

Corporal

• Players
  • 9255 battles
The T49 is a fast and agile tank. As someone said, play it like a light tank. Sure the T49 can be killed in one or two shots. If you are hit early in a game then you are sitting and shooting as non-turreted TD which is a fail on your part.

The T49 needs to be driven fairly aggressively by getting into a good shooting position or flanking sometimes straight at the enemy in the open such as a Ferdi as an example. Be oppuntistic, meaning, look for an opening to do damage like when enemy tank is distracted (higher tiered tanks for sure), ambush single or pair of tanks and don't sit in one spot too long if possible as arty can take you out (judgement call). High tier games normally stick with the group of tanks and sit back and wait for opening to shoot.

Use the T49 speed to get across maps to stop caps and if needed intercept tanks. When fully upgraded, this tank can be a tiny little beast when driven and handled properly.

TheDawg #8 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 16:38

Captain

• Players
  • 9366 battles

View PostOmniJackal, on Apr 02 2012 - 12:51, said:

I mean besides dog crap

hey hey hey!

Rissien #9 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 17:35

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 9772 battles
3.4 second reload, decent damagem goes 60 km/h with very quick acceleration... It is an awesome td. Even stock I was litterally chasing down leopards and t-50-2's. Its an awesome tank, got Ace Tanker mastery badge in my final match with it before unlocking the hellcat too.

Takuwind #10 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 20:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14451 battles
To the OP, this is like asking "What is the Chaffee anyway?"  If you try to drive the Chaffee like the T-50-2 you will lose.  Every time.  But if you learn the unique gameplay of the Chaffee, you will have some awesome battles.

Same with the T49.  Take a few minutes to really ponder its strengths and weaknesses and try to find the unique niche that it fits in.  No, its not a scout.  No, its not a TD.  It is the T49, and it can excel at what it does if you give it a chance...

Hellseer #11 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 21:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2913 battles
This tank definitely fails at all roles. A TD that lacks decent damage or penetration. Has the turning of a medium, and a turret speed of a heavy. HP/Armor of a scout but with 360m view range. And really can't fire on the move well.

And consistantly put in tier 8 matches is insult on top. At least in my SU 85 I could pen most vehicles. This thing lacks in that.

Rate of Fire and penetration need to be raised significantly. They hamper this tank on purpose because it's a "TD". But forgot to give it penetration and killing power.

It's a fun tank that can potentially get kills. But seriously - other tanks are much better all around. More fail TDs in WoT.

captking #12 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 21:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12185 battles
  • [-WET-] -WET-
Using the WGing model for what TDs are supposed to be.  The TD should have more firepower then the Medium tanks of the Same Tier...the T49 will not over firepower a M4 who will be able to Derp it,  T49 lacks that as well.   :Smile_honoring:

byron2286 #13 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 22:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13111 battles
  • [REL_2] REL_2
Master Ace badge on my t49. I loved playing this tank, just owns its tier.

Takuwind #14 Posted Apr 02 2012 - 23:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14451 battles

View Postbyron2286, on Apr 02 2012 - 22:09, said:

Master Ace badge on my t49. I loved playing this tank, just owns its tier.
Glad to hear it.  I loved the tank on the Test server.

One comment though - lets try to avoid the spread of "Ace Badge" claims.  Unfortunately the way it is currently configured all it means is "I had a pretty OK battle once."

byron2286 #15 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 01:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13111 battles
  • [REL_2] REL_2
Ok, well I loved the tank. I used its amazing speed to get to some good sniper spots, and camo to own tanks before they even knew i was there. Its pretty much a better version of my T34 I use for t5 sniping. Playing it like this I have a 61% win and got lucky once :) Some people play it like a scout with a decent gun, I did not have luck with that style. FYI I play my hellcat the same way, rush to sniper spot with 100% crew/camo and snipe, at 62% win and got a lucky master ace once there too :)

Danneskjold184 #16 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 02:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6709 battles

View PostTakuwind, on Apr 02 2012 - 23:59, said:

Glad to hear it.  I loved the tank on the Test server.

One comment though - lets try to avoid the spread of "Ace Badge" claims.  Unfortunately the way it is currently configured all it means is "I had a pretty OK battle once."

First Class Badge means you had a really good battle, once.  

Ace Badge means you had a really, really great battle.  Something that can't be achieved by luck alone.  I have many 1st class badges, but no Ace Badges (yet).

Takuwind #17 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 02:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14451 battles

View PostDanneskjold184, on Apr 03 2012 - 02:10, said:

First Class Badge means you had a really good battle, once.  

Ace Badge means you had a really, really great battle.  Something that can't be achieved by luck alone.  I have many 1st class badges, but no Ace Badges (yet).
Actually Ace Badge only means that you had an above-average battle.  Sorry to disappoint you, but that's what it is.

Thornir #18 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 03:19

Captain

• Players
  • 19493 battles
  • [DHO-X] DHO-X

View PostHellseer, on Apr 02 2012 - 21:22, said:

This tank definitely fails at all roles. A TD that lacks decent damage or penetration. Has the turning of a medium, and a turret speed of a heavy. HP/Armor of a scout but with 360m view range. And really can't fire on the move well.

And consistantly put in tier 8 matches is insult on top. At least in my SU 85 I could pen most vehicles. This thing lacks in that.

Rate of Fire and penetration need to be raised significantly. They hamper this tank on purpose because it's a "TD". But forgot to give it penetration and killing power.

It's a fun tank that can potentially get kills. But seriously - other tanks are much better all around. More fail TDs in WoT.

If it fails at all roles, why are there so many people stating they've had a lot of success with it?

No bad tanks, just bad tankers.

Drive_Me_Closer #19 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 03:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7300 battles
Back to the subject at hand, the T49s speed is its main selling point.  The Devs never give the US TDs a superior gun over the Russian TDs, let alone the Germans, but the T49 has superior speed and handling.  If they didn't nerf the turret rotation and handling from historical, US turreted TDs would be strong contenders for the best mediums of their tier.

As it is I find the T49 is excellent for moving to a good firing position early on, long before most tanks expect it.  You can remain hidden and spot, or fire off several rounds and then retreat.  The key is to not expose yourself to too much return fire.  After a few shots pull back and relocate.  Your speed is such that it is easy to fall back.  I outran a PZIV on Sand River and was gone before he could even bring his turret to bear, and he was already taking arty fire.  

I've also charged in to take on tanks from the rear while they thought they were safely behind buildings, but in general you cannot do this till the other team is thinned out.  You can get back to a cap quickly to knock it back, as well as perform a strong mid game rush.  

This tank cannot take damage, but it is very hard to pin down.  100% camo and a net make it very hard to spot.  It fires fast, i've almost beaten the french t5s in a stand up fight.  Just watch out for the derp guns.  KVs are easy money, lock your turret sideways and circle them to death.

captking #20 Posted Apr 03 2012 - 04:03

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12185 battles
  • [-WET-] -WET-

View PostDrive_Me_Closer, on Apr 03 2012 - 03:21, said:

Back to the subject at hand, the T49s speed is its main selling point.  The Devs never give the US TDs a superior gun over the Russian TDs, let alone the Germans, but the T49 has superior speed and handling.  If they didn't nerf the turret rotation and handling from historical, US turreted TDs would be strong contenders for the best mediums of their tier.

As it is I find the T49 is excellent for moving to a good firing position early on, long before most tanks expect it.  You can remain hidden and spot, or fire off several rounds and then retreat.  The key is to not expose yourself to too much return fire.  After a few shots pull back and relocate.  Your speed is such that it is easy to fall back.  I outran a PZIV on Sand River and was gone before he could even bring his turret to bear, and he was already taking arty fire.  

I've also charged in to take on tanks from the rear while they thought they were safely behind buildings, but in general you cannot do this till the other team is thinned out.  You can get back to a cap quickly to knock it back, as well as perform a strong mid game rush.  

This tank cannot take damage, but it is very hard to pin down.  100% camo and a net make it very hard to spot.  It fires fast, i've almost beaten the french t5s in a stand up fight.  Just watch out for the derp guns.  KVs are easy money, lock your turret sideways and circle them to death.

Devs have said time and time again, TDs are supposed to have more FP then their Medium tanks of the Same tier...The T49 does not fit that.  The Devs have yet again held the US tanks to a different set of rules then the RU and GER tanks...Its getting to the point that is almost sad.