Stop using "stats" to evaluate a players performance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
403 replies to this topic

Bugsy_Laframboise #1 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I don't know how you play but I play for the team , the fun  of the game (sometimes) and the win , not "stats" and "medals". I've always hated games that have meaningless "stats" and "medals" because they tend to distract from a players real abilities.

Ever got between a medium tank and artillery in your scout to give him time to line up a shot and a chance?
Ever taken a shot at a target you knew you couldn't damage much , exposing yourself , to give your team mates heavy a chance to reload and maybe take it out after the distraction?
Ever driven over a cliff in a TD , exposing yourself , to display the enemy so the artillery could get in a few shots?
..etc..etc.

Non of these events are going to reward you with survival , experience or kills which is what everyone seems to concentrate on.

So my "abysmal performance" as some have indicated , are in no way a reflection on my teamwork/playing abilities. Only on the type of tank I'm driving at the time ,where MM places me and how the rest of the "stat hunters" play.

And forum reputation?? What is that for?? Do you get another "medal" if everyone likes you?

mp31b30q9 #2 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:42

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
/agreed

apocoluster #3 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
/disagree

Grunt_Dog #4 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:45

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Spoken like a true 47%er! :blink:

Darth_Kitty #5 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:45

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Medals may be worthless, but stats are not. They are a clear indicator of your performance in one or all vehicles and a good tool to measure it by.

Edit:

Secondly the forums are just that forums. If you can't handle it here, then don't post. But from your post you are begging for a flame war.

drewivy #6 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:47

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostBugsy_Laframboise, on Apr 06 2012 - 16:41, said:

I don't know how you play but I play for the team , the fun  of the game (sometimes) and the win , not "stats" and "medals". I've always hated games that have meaningless "stats" and "medals" because they tend to distract from a players real abilities.

Ever got between a medium tank and artillery in your scout to give him time to line up a shot and a chance?
Ever taken a shot at a target you knew you couldn't damage much , exposing yourself , to give your team mates heavy a chance to reload and maybe take it out after the distraction?
Ever driven over a cliff in a TD , exposing yourself , to display the enemy so the artillery could get in a few shots?
..etc..etc.

Non of these events are going to reward you with survival , experience or kills which is what everyone seems to concentrate on.

So my "abysmal performance" as some have indicated , are in no way a reflection on my teamwork/playing abilities. Only on the type of tank I'm driving at the time ,where MM places me and how the rest of the "stat hunters" play.

And forum reputation?? What is that for?? Do you get another "medal" if everyone likes you?
Ok this seems like a troll post. I am sure you dont care about stats, but to say they dont measure a persons effectiveness in game is ridiculous.

Mow_Mow #7 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
/drink

SHISHKABOB #8 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:49

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostMow_Mow, on Apr 06 2012 - 16:48, said:

/drink

amen to that!

ed_anger #9 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

im not sure how to evaluate someone other then stats. you know what stats are right -- theyre a picture of past performance. are you saying we should just go by "enthusiasm"? why do you care anyway? the only people that really need to look at stats are recruiters. and yourself, if you have any interest in improving.

paradat #10 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:54

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

..etc..etc.

Any and all of those behaviors might help you get the win. So win rate does not matter? You do say you play to win. Are you not very good at winning? etc....

Are stats perfect? No. Are there good players with crappy stats? Maybe. Are stats a good place to start when evaluating performance? Of course they are. Are they the only thing to consider? No

Any way as to your post. I will continue to look at stats.

and finaly

Drink!

Aurora_LN #11 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Fun game is game that you cant make a diffrence (and win), and making a diffrence for the team require skills. Situation awareness, basic combat tactics, map choke points/sniping points utilization and etc... I dont look at any other player's stat except win rate, because you can go sucide and die without shooting one round but detected 5 arty witch 3 got taken out, or a heavy holding a flank taking 20 shot without firing 1 round but delayed the enemy long enough for team to cap. Yes play for fun, but fun in this game is contribution and to win, nothing ruins fun more then noob loosing the battle after you 10 kill run becuase he cant aim properly. SO, sincerly screw your opinion, your logic and your game performence.

azntrigboi #12 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:55

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Picking one stat to measure performance is a mistake - yes.  However, taking them all into account gives someone a good picture of what you play like.  Given that, I wouldn't say your stats are HORRIBLE for the tanks you've played b/c I've definitely seen worse.  Happy tanking. :Smile_honoring:

stickjock #13 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:55

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Agreed for the most part... BUT... as in another thread you started Bugsy complaining about xp/credits income fixes... they're fine as is... your very own 40% hit ratio is the reason your xp/credits are lower than a lot of players... with more accuracy (and patience) before pulling the trigger will come the better xp... goes hand in hand with your Kills/Battle as well... 2116 battles currently and you've only got 615 kills... shows possibly that you "damage" more than kill, but couple that with your hit ratio... I doubt it...

So, as stats are for the most part for bragging rights, they ARE also an indication of where you, as an individual needs to increase performance to see a better return per battle...

Again, I'm NOT judging you on your stats, just pointing out that you can see areas that you need to work on... once you improve those your individual stats along with rewards will increase... AND as you say, you'll be an even more valuable addition to "your team"...

RobertK #14 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

You preface the word "stats" with "meaningless". It is hard to tell exactly what you mean. Do you mean that all stats are meaningless (like many folks who don't understand them)? Or do you mean you think some stats are meaningless and that you don't like it when games keep track of the meaningless ones?

Many statistics are a measure of past performance. They tell you what you have done. Not how you felt about it. Not WHY you did what you did. Not what you COULD have done if your teammates had been better, but would you've actually DONE. They ask for no explanation or motivation.

What you are essentially saying is that we can't use a person's performance to evaluate their performance.

That, I'm afraid, is nonsense.

Bob

hardicon #15 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:56

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
only people with bad stats say stats are meaningless.  stats can give a very effective picture of how a person plays and whether they play poorly or not.  anytime i see a person playing very bad, i look up his stats and generally im not surprised to see bad stats.   every once in a blue moon ill see someone with good stats playing bad, and then i just chalk it up to a new tank or just having a bad night.

montanakennedy #16 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:56

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
The activities you mention may not get you kills or survival, but they will get you experience and, if done appropriately, wins.

So, q.e.d., when you sacrifice for the good of the team (and not needlessly), you do help your stats.

There are lots of little things you can do to boost your performance in game, helping your team, and, yes, boosting your stats.

I'd recommend looking at ROFL's Guide and my short list of suggestions. We look at it in different ways - he looks externally, I look internally - and I disagree with some of what he says, especially regarding arty, but for the most part, it is right on.

Good luck with your game.

Tankcinatra #17 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:58

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

..etc..etc.

by looking at your stats i can evaluate that you are a bad.

BashNSmash #18 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

..etc..etc.

You claim to be a team player, so I'll judge you by the stat that correlates that, WR(ps. you suck).

Aurora_LN #19 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 16:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Poststickjock, on Apr 06 2012 - 16:55, said:

Agreed for the most part... BUT... as in another thread you started Bugsy complaining about xp/credits income fixes... they're fine as is... your very own 40% hit ratio is the reason your xp/credits are lower than a lot of players... with more accuracy (and patience) before pulling the trigger will come the better xp... goes hand in hand with your Kills/Battle as well... 2116 battles currently and you've only got 615 kills... shows possibly that you "damage" more than kill, but couple that with your hit ratio... I doubt it...

So, as stats are for the most part for bragging rights, they ARE also an indication of where you, as an individual needs to increase performance to see a better return per battle...

Again, I'm NOT judging you on your stats, just pointing out that you can see areas that you need to work on... once you improve those your individual stats along with rewards will increase... AND as you say, you'll be an even more valuable addition to "your team"...
I just dont get the Hit%, in my t50-2 I maybe able to hit the target evey 5 rounds but I still pull off alot of xp and credit, sometimes in a tank its not worth it to take a full aim at the cost of reciving several hit. And when driving a m2 LT you just cant resist to unload you 40 round machine gun drum into the wall.

furcalor #20 Posted Apr 06 2012 - 17:00

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I'll drink to that!