AMX 50 100, new contender for worst tank in game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

PFCWilliams #41 Posted Apr 15 2012 - 02:09

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 15287 battles
If you say you love the 50 100 after patch 7.2, then all I can do is /facepalm at you.  So do you like having a cat scratch your face too????

Anyways, the problem with the 50 100 is: inter drum reload time, aim time and accuracy.

Now why is this is a problem, well I am going to tell you people who have never driven the tank why its a problem.

With the accuracy nerf, and the aim time nerf, the tank is useless at any range from medium to long.  The accuracy problem makes it so that you cant reliably hit any weak spot other than the side of an E-75.  And coupled with the aim time nerf the fact that the tank has no armor and its low hit points, you can not expose yourself for more than 2 shots at max before getting roflsomped by the entire opposing team.

Now, the tank is also very bad at short and point blank ranges because of the accuracy nerf, aim time nerf and reload time nerf.  For instance: the E-75 has a rather log reload time, now the with the reload time nerf the amx 50 100 can not empty its clip before being shot twice by an E-75.  You can only shoot at most, 3 shots before having to back off and hide.

Now I know, allot of people who have never touched the AMX 50 100 are saying something like "That seems fair to me".

The problem is the drum reload time, which is a very long time.  So the AMX 50 100 has to stay far away from the enemy or be protected by at least 3 teammates with heavy armor.  In clan wars being protected by teammates is no problem, but in pubs, forget about it, not that anybody really uses and AMX 50 100 in clan wars.

So the problem is, with the long drum reload time, the AMX 50 100 basically has to in a manner that is far too conservative to be of any effect at all in a battle.  Either you stick out to take a shot at killing a tank and get killed 90% of the time, or you are poking out to shoot off 1 shot, and then ducking back in, and then with the long reload time you are taken out of the game for very long stretches of time.  All of this combines to make the tank very ineffective.

IronShinobi #42 Posted Apr 15 2012 - 15:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 3022 battles
I agree with the OP, this tank is the worst t8 heavy in the game now.If someone disagrees please tell me what t8 heavy is worse than this.

lft #43 Posted Apr 15 2012 - 16:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14223 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostPFCWilliams, on Apr 15 2012 - 02:09, said:

If you say you love the 50 100 after patch 7.2, then all I can do is /facepalm at you.  So do you like having a cat scratch your face too????

It is still a great tank if played right. Much like people that rag on the T32, figure out how to play it, and it is a pretty solid tank, weak gun or not.

With the accuracy nerf, and the aim time nerf, the tank is useless at any range from medium to long.  The accuracy problem makes it so that you cant reliably hit any weak spot other than the side of an E-75.  And coupled with the aim time nerf the fact that the tank has no armor and its low hit points, you can not expose yourself for more than 2 shots at max before getting roflsomped by the entire opposing team.

Every tank got accuracy and aim time nerfs, that does not make all of the tanks useless.

But why you would expose yourself against 'the entire opposing team' in an AMX 100 is beyond me.

Now, the tank is also very bad at short and point blank ranges because of the accuracy nerf, aim time nerf and reload time nerf.  For instance: the E-75 has a rather log reload time, now the with the reload time nerf the amx 50 100 can not empty its clip before being shot twice by an E-75.  You can only shoot at most, 3 shots before having to back off and hide.

At close range it is still a monster. If you are trying to peek-a-boo with an E-75, you are doing it wrong. If you are going up against an E-75 and 'the entire opposing team' by yourself, you are doing it wrong.

Yes it is a worse tank now than before, but people, relax, it's not as if it was a bad tank before. It doesn't have 1 HP, it's drum size hasn't been brought down to 2 shots, nor have they given it a Trabant engine.

superfluidity #44 Posted Apr 15 2012 - 17:30

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12417 battles
^ I agree with this guy.  The nerfs are not as bad as they seem.  Perhaps, being an American driver, I am used to getting the short end of the stick... but jeez, you can still make these tanks work.

I am a closed beta tester.  I have seen this game go through many changes, and one pattern I am seeing is this:  the newest tanks after a patch are always potent.  Exsample: E-100 was a beast when it first came out.  Now it has fallen from glory (the T110 is stealing the spot light.). The T-54 was a god amongst mediums(and the T-44 before it.) and it's presence I'm clan wars has been replaced by the bat chat, completely.  On that note, remember the Patton and the E-50... hell, even the T-50-2 has all been replaced by the bat chat.

Now think about the 50b... even with its nerfs it remains a potent clan war choice.  It is an effective support tank that can return to base using superior speed, before the base is capped, from virtually any where on the map.

The nerf was bad, granted, but it was only in response to the tanks' overwhelming use and abundant success.

Give it time, they will buff some aspects of the frogs, back to thier former glory.

On a side note, watch for the nerfs the T110 and 103 will be getting next patch.  It is all to make the newest tanks seem wonderful, the devs want players to go down as many trees as possible.... and pay gold as they go... that is the point of all this, after all.

Onslaught #45 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 00:34

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 12279 battles
  • [NZAUS] NZAUS
my personal opinion is that the tank isn't as competitive as it was - with the increased face time required to put shells on target and the squishy nature of the tank means you have to have hard cover very close for it to have any chance of working. While I'd say it's still usable, it's not quite as potent a combination as it used to be.

SilverforceX #46 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 04:51

Major

• Players
  • 9518 battles
I got this tank after 7.2 patch and it's doing fine. It's one of my better tanks in terms of dmg/bat, kills, medals, exp etc.

Spoiler                     

Generally you don't want to shoot somebody who can shoot back. So watch where their turret is pointing at, or if they fired a shell. If they just fired, typically tier 8+ tanks take 10-12s to reload, you can unload 4 shells into them then back out. If you play by these simple guidelines, it will perform very well.

sr360 #47 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 20:27

Major

• Players
  • 28926 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostIronShinobi, on Apr 15 2012 - 15:13, said:

I agree with the OP, this tank is the worst t8 heavy in the game now.If someone disagrees please tell me what t8 heavy is worse than this.

I would actually argue that there are NO bad Tier 8 heavies. Tier 8 is one of the most balanced tiers in-game for heavies, and each tank has a useful niche. The IS-3 is a monster brawler and assault tank, the KT is a sniper par excellence that can also brawl some in a pinch, the T32 is (to steal a phrase) the mother-lovin' patron saint of hulldown play and facehugging, the AMX 50 100 has immense burst damage that can potentially 1-clip an opposing Tier 8, and the VK 4502A has surprisingly bouncy frontal armor with mobility and a gun that can use that mobility.

If pressed, I'd probably put the the VK 4502A as the weakest tier 8 heavy. But then, it's the only Tier 8 heavy I've not played.

EDIT: Excluding premiums, of course.

mghtymo32 #48 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 23:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13269 battles
  • [ALLOY] ALLOY

View PostOnslaught, on Apr 16 2012 - 00:34, said:

my personal opinion is that the tank isn't as competitive as it was - with the increased face time required to put shells on target and the squishy nature of the tank means you have to have hard cover very close for it to have any chance of working. While I'd say it's still usable, it's not quite as potent a combination as it used to be.

While I get your point, I have been doing pretty well in my M4 1945, and that aim time is rydonkulous.  I'll hopefully do some owning in the Tier XIII if its any better at that.

Rifleman223 #49 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 23:49

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3746 battles
  • [KARMA] KARMA
They killed my 90 and my Lorraine :( Its not even fun playing the tanks anymore.

THEKINGOFHATEHD #50 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 01:52

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6825 battles
  • [M00N] M00N

Blah blah blah im OP and i dont know what im talking about.

If anyone says that the AMX 50 100 is a bad tanks, let alone the worst tank in the game, then they literally have no idea what they're talking about and most likely suck at the game.

I think its safe to say that the AMX 50 100 is one of my fav tier 8 heavies in the game and it really is a good overall tank. If you cant deal with the accuracy nerf and all other nerfs then you cant adapt to anything whatsoever and im going to assume the OP doesnt know how to play this tank, probably doesnt even know how to play any tank, since he's blind to see the amazing power that is..... the AMX 50 100.

I rest my case. :P

PrinceofKilts #51 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 06:13

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6247 battles
From across Google, I have been called forth by SSGS to give my thoughts on the French heavies. As the first person in the clan to grind (mostly) from the tier 6 to tier 10 French, I can promise you, oh boy, the 50 series are all utterly amazing. I will try to boil down my points simply.

First off, it is in fact the highest winning t8 out there. I have the server averages right here http://wot-news.com/...s/PrinceofKilts 50.5 percent for the 50 100, and 46.9 for the KT (Which is also not a bad tank, I was just a bad driver back then). Ouch, totally a worthless tank indeed!

Burst damage, supressive fire, and destroying enemies with low health is key for this tank. It is a wonderful sniper when not spotted, and can (and will) drop the anvil on tanks in which you have a full clip of ammo ready. You will take hits, but they will be dead. I like dead foes.

The nerfs were to such a minor degree that it barely affects me. I still retain both my win rates in all of my french heavies. Noticeable? Slightly, but not enough to even dent the fun factor.

Useless at long range? All you have to do is take your time and aim properly, gun laying drive, vent and vertical stab are your friends, and they will make sure you can and will hurt your foes like any tank destroyer! Is it different after the patch? Yes, most tanks are; now the Americans can snipe like no tomorrow! My 50 120 and 50B are still doing just fine in pub matches, and have the same aiming time. Must be doing something funny...

Bad at close range? Uhhh... depends on the target? You vs an Is-3 by himself on a street corner? Lawl, he is stupid and soon to be dead. An e-75? What the hell are you engaging en E-75 at close range for? Do you have a death wish? Or is he stupid? It is a t8, not t9. Perhaps if you are great, and the e-75 is not facing you you will rip through him, but front on? Come on now. As an E-75 driver I can tell you I do not fear a t8 solo, or even with some support. Now the 50 120... ho boy... he will f your day up, even you E-75.

Drive NAILS it. The French have a very steep learning curve. I would never, ever recommend this tank to anyone as a first nation to play. You take all of your knowledge from other nations (As I did for both German Heavies), channel it into the French, and you become a death machine. Most people simply start raging at how you snipe them from afar, move about from weak point to weak point, and how you break their spirit. I love those days. Even better is when you are in a platoon with two other French tanks of friends who are just as skilled as you, ho boy, some two drivers are about to get killed, quick.

PrinceTankers: While I am not a commander for SSGS, I can assure you, the 50B has a use, either one or two of them, in many of our fights; its ability to lay down supressive fire and amplify an enemy screw up can not be matched. It also makes a wonderful bush tank, as long as it is not spotted, with gold shells, tehehehe! What armor do you have? About zero. And no offense to you sir, but your clan, and your win ratio, would not be a good foundation to judge a useful tank in Clan Wars. SSGS has far, far more practice in this manner then most clans, and I can assure you, I've been in at LEAST 15 battles with my 50B. In one or two I was key. Also, you neither have the 50 120 or the 50 100. Your judgement on this manner is both flawed and the training that the 50 100 and the 50 120 (Which by the way, the 50 120 is basically the same tank, up gunned... mmmm... up gunned...) is what teaches you how to operate the 50B properly. As Boromir said, "One does not simply get a French tank and be good in it."

Angry that tanks can pen you? Sad that low tier tanks can rip through you? I have a good piece of advice. Don't be cocky and hide. Don't think you can slug it out like other nations. Let your teammates take the hits, exploit a weakness in your foes, and utterly rip their sides with no mercy. I know, it is different then other nations, but that is how you play. You don't 'tank' in a French tank, you act like a spy, and then stab them in the back. It's fun, really fun, I promise!

Is arty a problem? Read paragraph above.

Remember: People can and often will be bad@tanks (As NDP would say), and just because you have killed them easily, doesn't mean that they are weak. There are bad drivers everywhere that can make even the E-75 look bad. How they make that tank look bad... I can't even mentally comprehend...

When do I get top gun? More often then my KT. Must be doing something wrong with 1.6 kills a match and 2000 average damage...

The only thing I agree with is that the 50 series is expensive to fire; and some of my fellow breathen will disagree even to that.

I like French tanks, go!

marcosine #52 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 07:08

Private

• Players
  • 18 battles
Just be glad they've nerfed HE like none other. If you think about it, I'm pretty sure those high tier arty shells have enough energy to flatten those french tanks.

L3ft4D3ad #53 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 08:59

Captain

• Players
  • 16034 battles
  • [REL-V] REL-V
HE was buffed in 7.2

iPancakes #54 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 13:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4991 battles

Anyways, the problem with the 50 100 is: inter drum reload time, aim time and accuracy.

Now why is this is a problem, well I am going to tell you people who have never driven the tank why its a problem.

Now I know, allot of people who have never touched the AMX 50 100 are saying something like "That seems fair to me".

The problem is the drum reload time, which is a very long time.  So the AMX 50 100 has to stay far away from the enemy or be protected by at least 3 teammates with heavy armor.  In clan wars being protected by teammates is no problem, but in pubs, forget about it, not that anybody really uses and AMX 50 100 in clan wars.

So the problem is, with the long drum reload time, the AMX 50 100 basically has to in a manner that is far too conservative to be of any effect at all in a battle.  Either you stick out to take a shot at killing a tank and get killed 90% of the time, or you are poking out to shoot off 1 shot, and then ducking back in, and then with the long reload time you are taken out of the game for very long stretches of time.  All of this combines to make the tank very ineffective.

sorry mate. still love my 50 100

For the inter drum, +0.20 sec didn't hurt so bad.

For the accuracy problems, i can still manage to make four(or five) out of six shots hit targets at 300-400m range. 500m requires precise aiming.

I can still play this guy like how I played it at 7.1
(I do use this guy as a med tank if sniping wont do. Auto aim finally got his use once I got this tank)

As for the aim time, still no prob with it. at least it does not lock in like the KV's 107mm or ARL's DCA 45

E-75? Just don't shoot frontally lol. Managed to kill one in close quarters using the following steps..
Track shot > Turret x4 > Tracks
Track Shot > Turret > Rear(try to take out engine and light him up) x4 (but he died on my 5th shot)

almost died because even if i damaged his turret, he knows how to go Wittman's Maneuver, hitting me while loading a drum

anyway, you might say that "You keep on saying 50 100 is good but your stats with that tank sucked". Oh well... One Tank can't take a team to victory.

Semi-Offtopic:
prior to the elevation/depression nerf, I feel sorry to the 50 120 cuz he cant hit my Jagdpanzer IV after I hugged his sides. (i can see his gun lack a centimeter ow two to hit my tank's hitbox) but i was killed by his ally :lol:

PrinceofKilts #55 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 14:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 6247 battles
Pancakes wins the thread.

But I would disagree, a well played t8 or t9 top tier can win the match. The e-75 as the only t9 can shut down an entire line due to armor, and the 50 120 can due to overwhelming DPS. The elevation nerf is one I understand, and it has always been their weakness anyway. And I almost never make all six shots land at sniping. 4/5 out of 6 you dun good. That is still 1200 damage. Ouch.

Eliminateur #56 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 14:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles
yes, agree with OP.

the nerfs to the 50/100 where totally unnecessary, the extreme drum reload(50s, yeah, FIFTY with a 80% crew WITH vents, ~47s 100% crew) makes this tank next to useless in all matches (i've mothballed the thing and it's on my list to be dispensed of, and i never sell tanks...), in those RARE, EXTREMELY RARE where you're the only top tank in tier8 and the map is right you *may* get away with crime, but in reality 99% of the time you're "another T8" you're just easy fodder for everyone.

Between the nonexistant depression/elevation, the 2.78s reload (which makes enemy tanks be able to shoot twice before you "drum" them), the close-to-1-min drum reload and HP nerf means it's hands down the worst T8 tank.

It's not that the tank is "inherently bad"(which it now is more or less), but is that it fills such a niche and narrow role and has such a long list of "only ifs..." (only if.. it's top tank, only if.. it's the only top tank.. only if there's no fast meds... only if.. there's no T9 tanks... only if... there's no bad map etc etc) that the tank is unusable in normal random matches (let alone without premium it's a credit cancer) (this in the same way as the T95 is the worst T9 TD in game for the same reasons that is such a niche and narrow-minded tank)

mig31foxhound #57 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 14:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5078 battles
Lorraine on steroid, i guess. If so it's fine

Garnett101st #58 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 15:15

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 17626 battles
Don't know why the flip they nerfed the heavies when the only thing OP was the medium line...

superfluidity #59 Posted Apr 17 2012 - 16:03

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 12417 battles
I grabbed this tank after 7.2... and it is cursed.  I do exceeding well in it.... and lose.   EVERY TIME. lol.  I had a game last night, where I sank 25 shots into the opposing tanks... ended up with 4 kills... two tier 8s and two tier 9s... I crippled many others... and we lost.  Badly.  I am not blaming anyone, these things happen to all of us... but... I just think its a little spooky.

Compare my lorriane stats to my 50 100 stats... its scary.  IT'S A WITCH!

Cr1msondeath #60 Posted Apr 18 2012 - 05:34

Corporal

• Players
  • 13189 battles
  • [TBW] TBW
I have run all the way up the light/med line, and now am on this tank on the heavy line.

The 50-100 i have got 6 and 7 kills in a match. Not great but not bad. I have soloed a t-34 also.

The sniping ability is a bit lacking, but the brawling is great. Its easy to get sniper on the french tanks. They didn't hurt these tanks to bad, not in my opinion. 66 matches and i am at 48%. Which is better then my lorraine at the same time, i was at 39% at around 66 matches. My hit is 80%.. It is all on how you play it.

Don't rush in shoot targets on another member.

Good luck