Best Heavy Tank Line?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

J0hnFr33man #1 Posted Apr 07 2012 - 19:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hello again. Now I am going to finally choose a Heavy Tank Line. We can cut out the French Heavy Line from the start, as so far I am at the ARL 44 and the grind has been miserable. So out of the US, Germany, and the USSR, Who has the best tanks? I am either considering the US or USSR Heavy Tank line, as the slowness of the Maus and E-100 are not something I can deal with, and the fact that the German Heavy Tank line starts so late. I've been looking at the IS7 and T110E5, and sort of like the T110E5 better. I am clueless about the upcoming Soviet Heavies, so I didn't consider any of them. So, any tips?

BCEMonkey #2 Posted Apr 07 2012 - 19:39

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
I personally find the Russian line the best. All of its tanks from tier 5-10 are juggernauts. They are very fun to play with due to good mobility (tiers 7, 8, 10), good alpha, and decent penetration.

PTwr #3 Posted Apr 07 2012 - 19:45

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Soviet line is pretty much easiest to start with, also, you should have no problem to reach KV and KV-3 before 7.3 Update.

Get KV with upgraded turret = KV-1 at tier 5 + KV-2 at tier 6 + garage slot.

Get KV-3 = Get new tier 6 + KV+3 at tier 7 + garage slot.

Get IS-4 = Get new tier 9 + IS-4 at tier 10 + garage slot.

So you will get those tanks doubled with quick bump one tier higher. Remember to not sell any of them as you need them in garage to get freebies, you still have enough time to reach KV-3 if you will focus only on that line, forget about IS-4, it is much longer ride.

As you see, Soviet line is great for starting with tanks right now, after 7.3 you will have nice pack of tanks, then you can start other lines or push machines from under Red Start further.

Also, KV tanks are great moneymakers to finance your voyages on other tech lines, it is always good to have them.

B22G #4 Posted Apr 07 2012 - 20:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Who ever said the KV-2 is going to be a tier 6. T-150 is the new tier 6.

"Best" line is probably the USSR line, because theyre generally well balanced, well armored, and adequately gunned. The US and German lines have a few bad apples that require a bit more skill, patience, flexibility and luck (and free xp....).

GearaDoga #5 Posted Apr 07 2012 - 21:00

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Don't count the Germans out so fast.  

They may start late and the end tanks may be sluggish, but their guns are excellent (I miss my 88L/71 so much when I play my IS...) , their armor is monstrous when angled properly (except the poor original Tiger), and once they're upgraded, they're really quite mobile (E-75 is crazy nimble with the 1200hp monster engine).  

There's a reason the King Tiger and E-75 are among the most feared tanks in the game!

Holmaan_ #6 Posted Apr 07 2012 - 22:03

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
well all threee are actually quite decent in their own way i suppose.

german Royal tiger are like a sloped version that make it quite bouncy and even toughter than the older version. russian IS series were long considered to be the finest heavy line. and the american, although have weaker than their counterpart. doesn't perform that bad at all. (not to mention the new heavy tank that just recently added).

but If it was me, I'd say German. since I'm a fan of Tiger series (Tiger, Tiger P, Tiger II). and the E-75 and E-100 was so good many people I know recommend me over the russian and american Heavies.

Heh #7 Posted Apr 08 2012 - 00:24

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Russian heavies are not true heavies. They are ninja heavies with flanking powers and great sides.

The KVs might be slow and made of kindling wood, but the KV has monstrous guns, especially the 152mm with high explosive ammo. The KV-3 is armored to the core and keeps one of the KV's best guns, the 107mm. The KV-1S is frail and has an expensive powerful gun (390 damage at the cost of 1k creds per shell), but that's the true Soviet heavy style there. It also can flank people.

The IS is annoying to play with for some due to painfully low pen, but once you get the Soviet heavy style down, it's gonna FLANK PEOPLE.

The IS-3 is an IS with V-sloped armor, which is highly effective if pointed directly at the enemy gun. It still has mobility, but oh god it gets 225 pen instead of 175. D: That allows you to maul even tier 10s when done right.

The IS-4 is not an IS. I swear it's not. It's more of a KV-3. You become SLOW, but get huge armor. The special armor is at the sides, which are thicker than the front. >.> The gun also gets better with 490 damage and 260 pen. With all of this, no wonder they are so common (barely saw a tier 9 match w/o an IS-4).

The IS-7 is an improvement over the IS-3, NOT THE IS-4. It has weaksauce back armor, but hey, why would you get hit there in an agile heavy? The side armor is like the IS-4's somewhat, and you got V-sloped armor again, but with 150mm of steel). You also have the ability to go at 50 km/h, but I heard it's only downhill and that it goes 35-40 instead. It shares the same gun with the IS-4. Combine IS-3 style with a hint of IS-4 and that's one mighty tank.

The American heavies are more papery with great turret armor at first, but I don't know about the new ones.

Agressive #8 Posted Apr 08 2012 - 02:32

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostHeh, on Apr 08 2012 - 00:24, said:

Russian heavies are not true heavies. They are ninja heavies with flanking powers and great sides.The KVs might be slow and made of kindling wood, but the KV has monstrous guns, especially the 152mm with high explosive ammo. The KV-3 is armored to the core and keeps one of the KV's best guns, the 107mm.
Sorry but I must disagree strongly with "kindling wood"-I have (unfortunately) got "steelwall" far too often in my KV than I would have though possible. I do agree with your comments on the russian guns. I have used the derp but when I play my KV I use the 107 & am top tier my jaw hits the floor if i don't 1 shot any tank apart from a heavy & I can snipe from a huge distance & cause havok!

jimmywrangles #9 Posted Apr 08 2012 - 06:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I have all the tens except the AMX 50b which you're not interested in anyway so pull up a chair young tank jedi and listen closely.
Firstly all the tier tens are good. :)

Russian.
IS7, Fast good frontal armour and it carries the BL10 which is a beast of a gun and can slay dragons (also a favourite in clan wars).
IS4, Better armour than the IS7 but not as fast, possibly the best top tier tank out there, also carries the BL10 (See above).

American.
T110, Fast rate of fire, good speed reasonable armour and an effective 120 mm gun plus when you grind this line you get the T29 which is almost certainly the best tier 7 heavy(The T110 is rapidly coming into favour in clan wars and I expect to see many of them in the future).

German.
Maus, The bank vault, this tank is legendary and in my opinion still the most feasome heavy in the game, it only does 20 kmh but that 128mm gun is accurate and makes big holes in other tanks plus if you angle your tank correctly it can be nearly invincible in some situations, very tough to kill.
E100, Typically German, heavy, sluggish with massive armour, a little faster than the Maus and a little easier to kill but still a lot of fun to drive and like the IS7 another favourite for clans to use in clan wars.

It really comes down to how you drive your tanks.
Have fun good luck and GG.

ARGO #10 Posted Apr 08 2012 - 13:48

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostJ0hnFr33man, on Apr 07 2012 - 19:36, said:

Hello again. Now I am going to finally choose a Heavy Tank Line. We can cut out the French Heavy Line from the start, as so far I am at the ARL 44 and the grind has been miserable. So out of the US, Germany, and the USSR, Who has the best tanks? I am either considering the US or USSR Heavy Tank line, as the slowness of the Maus and E-100 are not something I can deal with, and the fact that the German Heavy Tank line starts so late. I've been looking at the IS7 and T110E5, and sort of like the T110E5 better. I am clueless about the upcoming Soviet Heavies, so I didn't consider any of them. So, any tips?

There ia no correct answer for you, each player has a different style of fighting, You need to figure out what kind of player you are and pick the tree that accomidates YOUR individual fighting style.

To help you, I will give you a brief synopsis on the trees....

German
= Excellent aiming, fantastic sniper tanks excellent TDs Arty however Not so great for "in your face" fighting.

Russian = Up close and personal brawlers, Aim....not so hot. Russian tanks take a licken and keep on ticken.

USA = All around good tanks, a jack of all trades and master of none, this tree is forgiving and good for players who like a little variety.

French
= Speed and very fast reload rates but your giving up armour and damage rates.

Premium "gold tanks" = Excellent for the avid grinder, you should always make some green with these puppies as well as a some much needed exp.

Now if you still are having trouble finding whats suites you, try Arty or TDs, You can't really fail with these n any tree seeing they have a good all around ability to make some coin and are a cheap repair bill.

Heh #11 Posted Apr 08 2012 - 19:53

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostAgressive, on Apr 08 2012 - 02:32, said:

Sorry but I must disagree strongly with "kindling wood"-I have (unfortunately) got "steelwall" far too often in my KV than I would have though possible. I do agree with your comments on the russian guns. I have used the derp but when I play my KV I use the 107 & am top tier my jaw hits the floor if i don't 1 shot any tank apart from a heavy & I can snipe from a huge distance & cause havok!

By made out of kindling wood, I meant it gets lit on fire so much.

ryanhay #12 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 02:47

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
when i come against a KV with my Vk3601 H they destroy me in 2 shots! i need a KV

MediumMan #13 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 12:18

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Currently the German Heavy Tank line is the kings of the battle field.  E-100 has the gun and armor to take on anything.  Maus has the armor to survive countless attacks.

Holmaan_ #14 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 15:51

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
There's no "Best" line to begin with,

Every tank have both good and bad Heavy tank, their tank have pros and cons, You just have to use the one that fit your play style.

as for all my knowledge.

U.S. HT - Jack of all trade but master of none (Just as ARGO have said :P, it's true tho). I've met many US heavy tank, some like T1 HT and T14 is quite weak, but T29 is when the real fun begin.  I've never play even first tier US heavy tank, but've fight with many. (as a german TDer).
American heavy tank have weak hull compared to their counterpart. but have impenetratable turret armor and very high rate of fire on their guns.

Soviet HT - Close range brawler, Soviet IS series were long considered as one of the finest, some soviet tank can be unaccurate and forces you to fight close range, but no worry. They're good at it. soviet tank have very thick armor and very well sloped, making them the toughest around.

German HT - Long range sniper, German were knows to alway have an extremely accurate gun with very good penetration. but they're sometime process below-average speed, and turret turning speed as well. (but that's compensate by having very thick armor however.)
the King Tiger (Tiger II) can easily kill IS-4, but only if they maintain the appropiate range.

as you can see every nation have their own weakness, and strengh. you have to pick the one that match your play style. prfer sniping? go German HT, prefer up close and personal style? go Soviet. if you prefer none ? give American a try.

Lert #15 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 15:53

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles

View PostB22G, on Apr 07 2012 - 20:00, said:

Who ever said the KV-2 is going to be a tier 6. T-150 is the new tier 6.
The devs. There'll be two heavy lines and KV-2 will be the tier 6 on the second heavy line.

agnott #16 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 15:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

That's a really tough question. Before 7.2 I would have said Russian or german. Now I'm really liking American and German lines. After 7.3 it's anybodies guess. Looking forward to the KV-4, IS-4 and ST-1. Ya and I completely understand about the French lines, truely amazingly obnoxiously irritatingly soul crushing grind from hades they are...

1SterlingArcher #17 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 18:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just to clarify, the KV-2 is being moved to tier 6, and leads to the S-51, and only that. The T-150 will be replace the KV-3 at tier 6, and will bridge the KV-1 and KV-3.

BA_Baracus #18 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 19:09

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

It all depends. First things first. If you can power grind to the KV and KV3 in the next couple of weeks, then you could get some free tanks, slots and crew. You have alot of grinding to do since you only have the t26 right now.

If the free stuff doesnt interest you, then I would vote the US heavy, ie T110E5. That tank is dang fun to play. Good front armor that bounces. Gun that pens everything, even maus. It has great mobility, track and turret traverse which means you can easily outflank is4,is7, e100 and maus and hit them from the sides and back. It can hang back and snipe too. You have various ways to play this thing. Very different from the russian heavies which is one way, up close and brawl.

KristinaWhite #19 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 19:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I only know what I know and thats not much but I went with the IS Line of tanks from the moment you make it to the straight IS you will have a 122mm gun and if you shot gold you'll see a drop in their hp every time you hit someone well most the time anyway.

Later after the is3 and on to the is4 and get new tracks engine all the bells and whistles you can, as I am doing now, is work towards the 130mm gun. Then the IS7.......Anyway Im happy with this line my all time fav is the straight IS ITS SPEEDY and boast a  nice size gun..As far as the others I don't know sept for the tiger's  can take a hit on the German side.

What every you decide hope you find it fun GL happy hunting

PS as said above the kv line is nice too and its Russian .....you know on your way to the IS I'm impartial :Smile_honoring:   yes the kv3 and the kv-1s both lead to the IS

Captain_DirtyLeotard #20 Posted Apr 16 2012 - 23:44

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
All the tanks are good when played to their strengths.  I personally suggest the Russian line as they are a little more forgiving and easier to figure out.  Also, free tanks and slots on the horizon.  You need to play to your advantages otherwise the opponent you are facing will have the upper hand.  Do yourself a favor and never take hits from arty.  They can change the match drastically.  Smart players are patient and let arty do the heavy lifting.  I read somewhere that in Russia the most played tanks are the German line here in the US its American.