Jump to content


Binocular Telescope or Coated Optics?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Tampa_Tanker #1 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:11

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 45
  • Member since:
    01-03-2012
Currently I have the PzKpfw VI Tiger with the 8,8 cm KwK 43 L/71 (Long 88) 88 mm gun.

I also have mounted on it the Camoflage Net and the Large-Caliber Tank Gun Rammer. Soon I will be able to add another piece of equipment to it.

My question is, should I mount the

1) Binocular Telescope

or  

2) the Coated Optics on it?

... and why?

Anyone information would be greatly appreciated.

SHISHKABOB #2 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:12

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 13,109
  • Member since:
    12-06-2010
Rammer, GLD and Vents. Tiger tank has perfectly fine natural view range and is not going to be hiding any time soon. Just focus on laying more shots downrange.

tanky_the_tank #3 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 6,262
  • Member since:
    11-07-2011
When do you feel most blind? Moving or sitting still? Optics for moving blind, binocs for sitting blind.

Check German heavies forum for more equip advice.

Liberation #4 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:13

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 754
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011
Binoculars, because it is more effective than optics while stationary. If you were to be firing on the move, then I would say optics, but for a tiger binoculars are more appropriate. + you can demount it free

Ezz #5 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 6,131
  • Member since:
    08-20-2011

View PostTampa_Tanker, on Apr 10 2012 - 06:11, said:

Anyone information would be greatly appreciated.
Ditch the net. It only multiplies your base camo, which for german heavies is next to none.

I'd go with vertical stabilisers instead. (edit: didn't realise tigers didn't take them... - so stab when a tank can use them, otherwise i guess GLD) Rammers are all good.

As to the binocs / optics... it's more a playstyle preference. I alternate between the two depending on tank.

SHISHKABOB #6 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:17

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 13,109
  • Member since:
    12-06-2010

View PostEzz, on Apr 10 2012 - 06:15, said:

Ditch the net. It only multiplies your base camo, which for german heavies is next to none.

I'd go with vertical stabilisers instead. (edit: didn't realise tigers didn't take them... - so stab when a tank can use them, otherwise i guess GLD) Rammers are all good.

As to the binocs / optics... it's more a playstyle preference. I alternate between the two depending on tank.

Tiger I can't get Vert. Stab. :(

Hartziel #7 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:21

    Major

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 3,527
  • Member since:
    11-04-2011
binocs , and please, don t use this fine tank as a brawler

Blizzard36 #8 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:32

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 1,951
  • Member since:
    12-03-2010
If you're set on camo net, then Binocs. Presumably you'll already be stationary most of the time to use the camo net so the binocs will be helpful at the same time.

Myself, I would have gone with vent over the GLD. With the fast RoF and aim time of the long 88 it gets minimal benifit for the cost. Vent helps almost as much (half of a small number is just a slightly smaller number) for a much lower cost. Then again, the same can be said about the Tiger's camo values and a camo net, but at least you can use the camo net on other tanks.

Wezo #9 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:35

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 254
  • Member since:
    05-22-2011
Your using a Tiger tank. This shouldnt even be a question. Binos.

10% with CO is nothing and is reserved for Meds and Lights.

djuice1701 #10 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:41

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 887
  • Member since:
    09-15-2010
Coated Optic, are only revelant to Light/Mediums Tanks since they are always constantly on the move.

Binoculars are more suited for Heavies and TD, as most of the time they are stationary, firing from cover or behind bushes.

BlackZero001 #11 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 06:47

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 100
  • Member since:
    04-28-2011
I have an coated optics and it works pretty well when advancing seeing the target in advance. If your the type of guys who dont like to wait i suggest it but if you like sniping around i suggest bino. Binocular works best in artillery type tanks.

Shultz #12 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 07:00

    Corporal

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 85
  • Member since:
    09-10-2010
I tend to use binocs on my TDs and optics on my tanks.  My understanding is that the binocs seize to work as soon as your turn the turret no?

Doktor_Sprinkels #13 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 07:07

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 371
  • Member since:
    04-25-2011
have to agree with rammer, gld, vents.

if you're playing the mid-long range support role that you should be playing, you are going to have spotters much closer to the enemy than the range of your binocs or optics. sniper role requires that you stay behind a line, not just behind the average push across the map, but behind a line which is going to take care of spotting for you.

if you are solo on a flank where you might find optics/binocs useful, you are in the wrong spot for a tiger.

VirgilHilts #14 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 07:22

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 3,416
  • Member since:
    07-31-2010
Binoculars. They can be transferred constantly between any number of vehicles for free.

BigNick #15 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 14:44

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 369
  • Member since:
    05-26-2011
How do you play your tank?

Do you prefer to snipe more using the accurage long 88?

Then take a rammer, binocs, and camo net.

Do you prefer to brawl and angle your armor to bounce more shots?

Take a rammer, GLD, and vents.

If you want to try a bit of both, you can go Rammer, GLD, Optics.


Spotting a tank further away is always a good thing in a tiger. You are not the most armored 7 heavy, so the more distance you can put between yourself and the enemy, the more pen they will lose as the round travels through the air, and the more likely you will be to bounce it.


Remember, with that long 88, you have 203 standard pen. You can pen the sides of the even a maus with that gun.

Good luck in your future tanking battles.

Ducman69 #16 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 14:51

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,398
  • Member since:
    10-23-2011

View PostBlizzard36, on Apr 10 2012 - 06:32, said:

If you're set on camo net, then Binocs.
Camo net is the absolute WORST investment you can make for a TigerII.   Not only is the tank too big to use most bushes for cover, but it has a stealth coefficient of 4.5 stationary, making it one of the least stealthy tanks in the game.    Camo net improves by a percentage, not a fixed amount, so 25% times virtually nothing is still nothing.

Definitely go binos though, as you're not likely to be firing on the move, you're slow, binos give a much better view range improvement, and its essentially free since you probably have at least one other tank that uses binos so just swap between tanks when needed.    Far too often I rape TigerIIs in my mediums because they insist on brawling allowing me to track and circle them, when I wouldn't have stood a chance if they just angled at range and pinked away at me.

:)

Hovertank #17 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 15:14

    Staff sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
  • 423
  • Member since:
    10-28-2010

View PostDucman69, on Apr 10 2012 - 14:51, said:

Camo net is the absolute WORST investment you can make for a TigerII.   Not only is the tank too big to use most bushes for cover, but it has a stealth coefficient of 4.5 stationary, making it one of the least stealthy tanks in the game.    Camo net improves by a percentage, not a fixed amount, so 25% times virtually nothing is still nothing.

Definitely go binos though, as you're not likely to be firing on the move, you're slow, binos give a much better view range improvement, and its essentially free since you probably have at least one other tank that uses binos so just swap between tanks when needed.    Far too often I rape TigerIIs in my mediums because they insist on brawling allowing me to track and circle them, when I wouldn't have stood a chance if they just angled at range and pinked away at me.

:)

Where do you find the stealth coefficient data for tanks?  Would be handy to have when considering camo as a skill, or camo nets.

Ducman69 #18 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 15:17

    Captain

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 1,398
  • Member since:
    10-23-2011

View PostHovertank, on Apr 10 2012 - 15:14, said:

Where do you find the stealth coefficient data for tanks?  Would be handy to have when considering camo as a skill, or camo nets.
http://forum.worldof...-техники-в-wot/

Another benefit of being able to spot for yourself btw is income/xp.   If you rely on someone else to spot, you only get half of the credits/XP earned, and Tier8s are expensive enough to run as is, giving an advantage to binos over alternatives.  :)

MySpecialAngel #19 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 15:45

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 129
  • Member since:
    02-22-2012

View PostSHISHKABOB, on Apr 10 2012 - 06:12, said:

Rammer, GLD and Vents. Tiger tank has perfectly fine natural view range and is not going to be hiding any time soon. Just focus on laying more shots downrange.

+1

Brutalus_Maximus #20 Posted Apr 10 2012 - 15:51

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 0 battles
  • 433
  • Member since:
    10-29-2011
GLD is almost no help to this tank.  The gun is already super accurate and the majority of your shots will be 2nd 3rd 4th 5th shots on the same slow or stationary target.  The 10% added by the GLD is a VERY small number when accuracy is already a VERY small number.

Rammer, Binocs, Vent.  This is true of every sniper tank/TD in the German line.