IS3, IS4, IS7 How different can they be?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

ARGO #1 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 13:52

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10207 battles
Most people who went from the original IS tank seemed to like it. Looked good, good speed, and good firepower but something was missing......Armor.  Most say they missed their KV3 because of this but then they get an IS3 and get thier first taste of a real good heavy tank.  Pretty well rounded as heavies go, The IS3 really doesn't get much praise and most are dead set on going to the IS4 so I have some questions for serious debate.

Is there any reason to graduate up from IS3?
What are the pros and cons in doing so?
What noticable performance differences can one expect?

And most of all, once in an IS4 should one even bother to shoot for an IS7? :blink:

StanSuarez #2 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 14:33

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3741 battles
Of course in a tank vs tank scenario, the higher tier tank would perform better than the lower tier tank. I'm sure there's no question about that. However, i do think I know where you're coming from and here's my take. I had done the German lines previous to the soft reset and like most players, I jumped over to the soviet side with my FREE EXP. I teched all the way to the IS4 while most of my clanmates teched just up to IS3 instead.

With the state of the game-matching system today, I would say that my mates in their IS3 are *enjoying* their games a lot more than I am in my IS4. Here's why- In my IS4, i'm usually thrown into a room with several other IS4s, IS7s, MAUS and VKs. Rarely am I the only big-dawg in the room, unlike my friends in their IS3s, they often get into rooms with a lot of lower tier Heavy tanks(tigers and KVs) and Mediums. They're often the biggest gun in the room and they're having a lot of fun in their rooms while I simply get pounded by arty from start to finish in mine.

About grinding to the IS7, if you have the time- why the heck not? You'll finally be the biggest dog in the yard and its much faster than the IS4. The EXP it takes to get from IS4 to IS7 may look daunting, but remember that once you get the IS7- there's nothing else to research. She comes fully-loaded with all the dealer options- kinda like the premium tanks. No more grinding to a bigger gun or stronger engine like when I got my IS4s.

xmadragex #3 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 14:44

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6322 battles
  • [TAW] TAW

View PostStanSuarez, on Sep 28 2010 - 14:33, said:

Of course in a tank vs tank scenario, the higher tier tank would perform better than the lower tier tank. I'm sure there's no question about that. However, i do think I know where you're coming from and here's my take. I had done the German lines previous to the soft reset and like most players, I jumped over to the soviet side with my FREE EXP. I teched all the way to the IS4 while most of my clanmates teched just up to IS3 instead.

With the state of the game-matching system today, I would say that my mates in their IS3 are *enjoying* their games a lot more than I am in my IS4. Here's why- In my IS4, i'm usually thrown into a room with several other IS4s, IS7s, MAUS and VKs. Rarely am I the only big-dawg in the room, unlike my friends in their IS3s, they often get into rooms with a lot of lower tier Heavy tanks(tigers and KVs) and Mediums. They're often the biggest gun in the room and they're having a lot of fun in their rooms while I simply get pounded by arty from start to finish in mine.

About grinding to the IS7, if you have the time- why the heck not? You'll finally be the biggest dog in the yard and its much faster than the IS4. The EXP it takes to get from IS4 to IS7 may look daunting, but remember that once you get the IS7- there's nothing else to research. She comes fully-loaded with all the dealer options- kinda like the premium tanks. No more grinding to a bigger gun or stronger engine like when I got my IS4s.

think of the poor KV-3 that get stuck beaten up by the Bad IS-3 lol (coz of the matching system i learn running from an IS-3 get me killed so i throw as many HE as possible at it lol)

T92_LT #4 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 16:09

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12733 battles
  • [11A_D] 11A_D

View Postxmadragex, on Sep 28 2010 - 14:44, said:

think of the poor KV-3 that get stuck beaten up by the Bad IS-3 lol (coz of the matching system i learn running from an IS-3 get me killed so i throw as many HE as possible at it lol)
KV-3 with 107mm cannon has pretty good penetration chance if you hit the hull of the IS-3. Granted you may only take 20% off his health and piss him off enough to focus his attention on you, but better than getting shot from behind while you slowly try to lumber away.    :-)

xmadragex #5 Posted Sep 28 2010 - 18:12

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6322 battles
  • [TAW] TAW

View PostSykotic, on Sep 28 2010 - 16:09, said:

KV-3 with 107mm cannon has pretty good penetration chance if you hit the hull of the IS-3. Granted you may only take 20% off his health and piss him off enough to focus his attention on you, but better than getting shot from behind while you slowly try to lumber away.    :-)

heheh ya but at long range hitting a flat target is kidda harder so ya need to get a little closer to piss an IS-3 for a good penetration hit, still any rate a risky maneuver but that why i tend to be risky with a treat bigger then me so he does not focus on little'ol me

n0z3k1ll3r #6 Posted Sep 29 2010 - 03:05

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 878 battles
The IS4 in my experience is ridiculously good for Tier 9. It's just about the hardest thing to kill in the game (IS7's weak back armour lets it down here). The only advantage the IS7 has over it is the high speed (though that's a pretty sweet advantage).

Eliminateur #7 Posted Sep 30 2010 - 15:38

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles

View Postn0z3k1ll3r, on Sep 29 2010 - 03:05, said:

The IS4 in my experience is ridiculously good for Tier 9. It's just about the hardest thing to kill in the game (IS7's weak back armour lets it down here). The only advantage the IS7 has over it is the high speed (though that's a pretty sweet advantage).

+1 to this, get your is4 to full-upgrade and it's tidicously good, i'd say better than a is7 (is7 drivers are overconfident, get targetted by the entire enemy team for neing a high threat and end up dying alone in embarrasing ways).

T92_LT #8 Posted Sep 30 2010 - 16:51

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 12733 battles
  • [11A_D] 11A_D

View PostEliminateur, on Sep 30 2010 - 15:38, said:

+1 to this, get your is4 to full-upgrade and it's tidicously good, i'd say better than a is7 (is7 drivers are overconfident, get targetted by the entire enemy team for neing a high threat and end up dying alone in embarrasing ways).
That doesn't make it better than the IS-7. It just makes the drivers of the IS-4 better. Take that same good IS-4 driver and put him in the IS-7 and he should be even better with the extra performance capability and survivability of the IS-7. From all of the comparisons and numbers I have seen so far, the IS-7 is the superior tank. The driver is where we seem to be having differences.

Eliminateur #9 Posted Sep 30 2010 - 16:55

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles
Totally true, but for better or for worse the driver makes a world of difference and can negate all benefits.

and even if you put an awesome driver on a IS-7, the perceived threat will be there(and even more when they realize he's good) and he'd still be targetted above all others(granted that this could lead to a main force attacking ther other way whilst they are busy with the IS7 diversionary platoon, but that's another story).

witht he IS-4 you can blend more as "one of the crowd" in the curret World of IS4 Tanks :D

Belrick #10 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 02:17

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14380 battles

View PostSykotic, on Sep 30 2010 - 16:51, said:

That doesn't make it better than the IS-7. It just makes the drivers of the IS-4 better. Take that same good IS-4 driver and put him in the IS-7 and he should be even better with the extra performance capability and survivability of the IS-7. From all of the comparisons and numbers I have seen so far, the IS-7 is the superior tank. The driver is where we seem to be having differences.

Thats a pretty stupid comment since almost all IS7 drivers were IS4 drivers at one point.

IS7 20%> IS4 100%> IS3 50%> IS2

Thats my view.

Belrick #11 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 02:19

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 14380 battles

View PostEliminateur, on Sep 30 2010 - 16:55, said:

Totally true, but for better or for worse the driver makes a world of difference and can negate all benefits.

and even if you put an awesome driver on a IS-7, the perceived threat will be there(and even more when they realize he's good) and he'd still be targetted above all others(granted that this could lead to a main force attacking ther other way whilst they are busy with the IS7 diversionary platoon, but that's another story).

witht he IS-4 you can blend more as "one of the crowd" in the curret World of IS4 Tanks :D

Thats the biggest issue and big is the right word. IS7 are just arty and heavy HE magnets and its far easier to get smacked badly compared to a IS4.

That reason and that its actually a lot harder to get into battles is why i miss my IS4 over the IS7 i now have.

Eliminateur #12 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 16:33

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles
expanding on one of the points you just said "HE magnets", i'm pretty sure when everyone sees an IS-7 they load HE, or almost 95% of the people will do, so that negates all it's armor and HP advantage as they will get damage everytime AND chance of internal critical damage.

on an IS-4 i don't get targetted that often with HE, i'd say less than 20~40% of the time so i get lots of bounces and low-effect impacts

Mr_Rivers #13 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 23:40

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostBelrick, on Oct 03 2010 - 02:17, said:

Thats a pretty stupid comment since almost all IS7 drivers were IS4 drivers at one point.

IS7 20%> IS4 100%> IS3 50%> IS2

Thats my view.

that is pretty much my vew exxactly on the IS series.

The is-7, in my opinion is about 20% better than the is-4, however the is-4 is cheaper to repair, and has almost as good armor, meaning personally, for me, the is-4 is the better tank overall. I also tend to think that it is the best superheavy in the game

StanSuarez #14 Posted Oct 04 2010 - 00:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3741 battles
This is interesting. So would you suggest I simply max-out my IS4 instead of buying an IS7?

Since this is BETA and the campaign mode isn't ready yet(the IS7 would definitely come in handy in a clan vs clan campaign scenario). I'm just after whichever tank gives me the most *FUN* in the current game(balance and team composition firmly in mind).  I envy the IS3 that usually get in games vs Tiger-2s and below while my IS4 is thrown into games with IS7s and MAUS and a lot of Heavy ARty.

I'd rather not be an IS7 if I just get Arty raped each game. Though i must say, the speed advantage of the IS7 does look tasty- specially since I usually play T44 and light/medium scouts.

Arkanor #15 Posted Oct 04 2010 - 07:52

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6842 battles
I previously drove IS4, it was a lovely tank (~400+ games with it), unfortunately I had to sell it to get the IS7. My motivation was primarily that of "I've not driven the IS7, and it will all go away after beta anyway so why not?"

Why for reasons others might consider would I go IS7? Keep in mind I haven't had many games with it, so its a bit meh to figure.

-IS7 looks cooler, like a true MBT
-Faster reload rate, 5RPM vs 4.44. With the rammer you're looking at sub 11 second reload and that can make the difference in a head on fight.
-Speed, 1000hp and 50km/h speed cap means no other T8/9/10 can run away from you. Also, it lets you rapidly reposition that gun and that means more kills and a possible win as opposed to being "stuck" not able to respond to an enemy flanking maneuver. The IS-7 is fast enough to almost be a "wolf-pack" tank, 3 IS7's working as a pack is absolutely scary and I know some friends with them.

-The turret is less armored, but has a more aggressive slope, making it effectively as hard to damage as the IS4's. Turret has 5deg/sec higher traverse

-The front/side armor is 10mm thinner, but I believe the IS-7 wedge front is more effective at deflecting shells than the IS4. IS4 had somewhat of a flat surface that made it easy to penetrate with a hull hit, I seem to get this less with the IS-7.

-Also this is a little underrated, but the IS7 has a greater view range, cuts down on some of those "wtf did that come from" shots.

As for IS3-4, You get the 130mm/S70 on the IS4, that's reason enough. Plus the armor is worlds better.

oddball72 #16 Posted Oct 04 2010 - 10:14

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
anyone who says the IS4 is better than IS7 wants a poke in the eye. IS7 for the speed alone changes everything. IS4 is a great tank and i loved it but easily got bogged down and seemed to lose the gun easily. IS7 just feels stronger and its advantages over the IS4 show, the only thing that feels different, it feels sluggish turning but that might be just me.

my friend has an IS3 and once he got the BL9 it was a different tank to him. never underestimate it as a tank. all good tanks and i will be happy playing any of them in release.

Eliminateur #17 Posted Oct 04 2010 - 13:16

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles
driving my IS4 i'm not scared at all of IS7 or maus, yesterday that was a T10-fest we had some lopsided games with IS7 all over the place(IIRC it was 1 IS7 and 4 IS4 against our one IS7 and 2 IS4) in pagorki, they even took the hill first and we proceeded to whack-a-doodle them with relative ease, from below the hill i did around 30% to the IS7 on HE and killed one IS4.... without taking a single hit, then climbed the hill and with the elite JT of my friend we pummeled the IS7.
Other game, lakeville, this time 2 is7 and assorted IS and heavies went straight to valley whilst we took city, scram back in time to get them coming out of valley for the cap, couldn't reload fast enough to keep up with the stream of enemies IGNORING my IS4 that was 20m ahead of them and instead focusing on my friend's JT that was in the middle of the flag, it was duck hunt... :Smile-playing:, one is7 left with 8% after 3 hits(tracked him on purpose and a couple penetrating side shots and he was out) killed by someone else, the other is7 looked at me ugly but another track and a couple pen-shots more and he was history...

so, all in all, i don't see much more threat in a IS7 than i do in a T44, yes, they can go faster, but ultimately it's useless as it means they can die faster ahead of the rest :D, and about acceleration and traverse, easily compensated by traversing the tank at the same time whilst moving, i've NEVER seen an IS7 outmanouver me(or anyone for that matter), and when you have to go in packs of heavies, that +20kmhr advantage is nullified.

Other than that, it's annoying that it's THAT bouncy with such a small slope difference compared to IS4, some bounces are ridiculous, i.e. side armor is weaker than IS4 and has no geometric difference or extra sloping but i've bounced perpendicular shots to it in any part, it looks like IS/ turret is made of Bouncinium and the hull of Kathorga-12 steel+Bouncinium alloy!(that should be tweaked accordingly IMHO)

oddball72 #18 Posted Oct 04 2010 - 16:47

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
sounds like they were out the box IS7s with nothing on them it needs its mods :). without mods IS4 plays hell with IS7 it still doesnt make it better. a lot of IS7 players get God mode and think they cant be beat. rush in and get nailed wondering why and how come the team are trying to catch up.

Eliminateur #19 Posted Oct 05 2010 - 16:28

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles
maybe, but encountring all "OOB" IS-7 on the same day?, sounds unplausible, and i'm not a "godly" tanker by any chance(look at my stats they talk by themselves) which means either i was mighty lucky and all my shots where +30% or they where particularly bad  Rambo-IS7-makes-me-invulnerable guys

a little OT, i can't wait to test the yankee T9, i hope it's decent!(it will cost me and arm and a leg and a whole pot of gold after all)

Mr_Peabody #20 Posted Oct 05 2010 - 21:38

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24462 battles
  • [SGLE] SGLE

View PostStanSuarez, on Sep 28 2010 - 14:33, said:

I just finished my IS-7 grind two days ago, spent my 178,000 experience and 6,100,000 credits and I have to admit to being extremely disappointed. The tank itself is great, but trying to join a game in a tier-10 is a nightmare. The wait times are never less than 2 minutes (and often much longer) and when you do get a game it is loaded with Mauses and other IS-7s... At least in my IS-4 I got to fight a mix of opponents and seldom had to wait more than 20 seconds for a game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users