Sever down, Flush DNS?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
121 replies to this topic

smokntuesdays #81 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostBystander, on Apr 24 2012 - 21:04, said:

LoL.. you say its on the player to solve but thats not going to help your bottom line. Most players when seeing 'server closed for maint..' are going to logoff. Impact to your bottom line. Considering 5 lines of code could fix this for everyone thats a huge fail for WoT profits.

Here let me give you an example chat:

WoT Gamers : WTF?!

WoT Tech Crew : ZZZZzzzZZzZzZ

WoT Profits : *flushing sound*

WoT Tech Crew : *wakes up to flushing sound but wants to go back to sleep so says: "The solution is easy , and the responsibility of the player to correct!"

WoT Gamers : Duh, wut? *logs out to play something else*

WoT Server Population : *under 9000 and falling*

WoT Profits : *sound of Stuka in power dive*

WoT Tech Crew : Hey who do we blame when WoT asks us whose fault it is we lost x-million dollars today? We should work on that instead of a fix for WoT players because were inherently lazy...

You are full of it.

Most players don't get the error.   I haven't seen the error at all and never had to do a single thing to the game.   But I already use the google DNS which was but ONE of the many solutions you have been presented with.

It's your ISP and your PC that is the problem.  

And you'll be playing again as soon as you can login again, so just stop with the dramatics.

Tunka_Elk #82 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:34

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostTunka_Elk, on Apr 24 2012 - 19:40, said:

Yep. This has happened to me too. Get the scheduled maintanance message, wait an hour or so and, VIOLA! Back in the game. Makes me wonder about all that TCP/IP, DNS stored locally, i.e on your puter stuff. I use Win7 on this machine and Vista on my gaming laptop. My Vista machine was the one that cleared itself. I'm going to see if the error occurs again on this one (Win7) and then wait for an hour or so and see what happens. Will update in another reply with a YEA/NAY result.

Thanks to all who have tried to help and those who did help. The WoT community tries to work around the various issues BEFORE beginning to get angry. If the issues persist (as this one has) THEN we go to the game producers and BITCH!

+1 to the WoT Community!  :Smile_honoring:
Well, it happened again. So, I waited...no joy. Tried flushing the DNS toilet again...no joy.

<As an aside> If they changed the IP on their end, why didn't they post a message on the client launch screen? I've noticed that WG will post scheduled maintanance notices or, un-scheduled downtime, so, why not this little piece of info? Just sayin'....

Darth_Kitty #83 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:36

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostTunka_Elk, on Apr 24 2012 - 21:34, said:

Well, it happened again. So, I waited...no joy. Tried flushing the DNS toilet again...no joy.

<As an aside> If they changed the IP on their end, why didn't they post a message on the client launch screen? I've noticed that WG will post scheduled maintanance notices or, un-scheduled downtime, so, why not this little piece of info? Just sayin'....

Turn off router and modem for at least 30 seconds. While they are offline, turn off and leave off your pc.

30s later....

Reboot Modem. Then router. Then turn on your PC.

It's not an issue on Wargaming's end. It's an issue with service providers in between.

anotherbentstick #84 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'm getting this as well.
I have a staic ip address if I do the flush,will this change any of my settings as per my staic ip adress?

I found the answer....No

JackAlexander #85 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:48

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
This is getting old already, too many people are having this problem *all of a sudden*. At least an official apology and some answers are required here, especially for people with premium accounts who right now have been basically been losing real money for days.

Zukov44 #86 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:48

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postmisscleo, on Apr 24 2012 - 19:16, said:

Read my post above, this is not a bug or something that WG can fix.

It is most definetly on their end.  I've tried your fix and it didn't work.  I tried pointing to google's DNS and it didn't work.  I did nothing, tried again later, and it worked.  I think it's coincidental that people are doing all these random things and it happens to work, just like it worked for me when I did nothing.

We would have to dig into the code, but there's no indication, either way, that the launcher uses the domain name to contact the server.  It may be using the the public IP address, we just don't know.  And I don't know a way of testing it off the cuff, but we don't know it works sometimes for some people.  That suggests DNS, if it's even being used, is resovling the server name to a public IP, but something on WGs end is denying the connection.  

It's not likely that all of the sudden tons of people are having DNS issues only realated to one game/server on the internet, right?

My guess is that a pool of servers dedicated to one part of North Amreica, are having issues.  I'm from Ohio, the midwest, and having this issue.  Anyone else?

SHISHKABOB #87 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:51

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostTunka_Elk, on Apr 24 2012 - 21:34, said:

well perhaps they did not think it would cause such a relatively large problem as it has

Zukov44 #88 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:51

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostBonzoid, on Apr 24 2012 - 20:43, said:

They aren't going to fix anything.  They changed the ip address of the server our game clients connect to.  You have to fix it on your end.

Eventually your DNS information will get updated and you will be able to connect.

I don't think this is correct.  If it were I would never be able to connect, yet sometimes I can, and most times I can't.

IamJohnGalt #89 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postdzik86, on Apr 24 2012 - 18:18, said:

Hello , if someone have problems with login , try to set all this things in cmd,
type in:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

after that i can login, you dont have to reboot system

i had the same poblem , reboot , and restart router didnt work, only this 3 thinks help  me :D
This is what I had to do today and it worked.   I still think WG should resolve this.  Its spreading....whatever it is.....

wake up WG.....something is broke and you need to fix it!!!!!!
Think that will get their attention?

ValhallaRising #90 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 21:57

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostZukov44, on Apr 24 2012 - 18:25, said:

Word.  These fixes don't make any sense and are likely coincidental.  My guess is their load balancer is balancing traffic to a server that is down.  That's why it works sometimes, and not others.

+100

Screw it, say +1000 for what is most likely the cause. Might I add that if this is the case it seems like they certainly do not have the LB configured properly because one should not be passing traffic to a dead endpoint.

johndart49 #91 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:10

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFaded, on Apr 24 2012 - 17:42, said:

Not playing for 2 days because you didn't try any of these is on you, not wargaming.
thats total bs. anything that requires goind to cmd, reseting routers, changing ips, etc. to run a game isnt even a fix. its a workaround. i dont blame anyone who wouldnt try it.

Monarch_Black #92 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just to post my results. I had same issue with the server maintenance message, but flushing the dns cleared it up easy, without any fuss.

1. Tried to login, unable.
2. Alt+Tabbed out and opened the command prompt. (I have a link on my desktop, but it is under All Programs>Accessories)
3. typed "ipconfig /flushdns" then hit enter. (there is a thread that says "/dnsflush" but that is not right)
4. Remaximized Tanks and logged in no problem. (Never even had to close the program, much less reset routers or modems or anything)

Maybe this isn't typical, I can't know all your pc's, but it doesn't seem like such a big deal. I've got a crappy Cisco/Linksys router, so I'm used to DNS issues I guess. Or it could just be that it randomly does and doesn't work I suppose.

Darth_Kitty #93 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:15

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postjohndart49, on Apr 24 2012 - 22:10, said:

thats total bs. anything that requires goind to cmd, reseting routers, changing ips, etc. to run a game isnt even a fix. its a workaround. i dont blame anyone who wouldnt try it.

Yet another person that flails about screaming that the internet is not working perfectly.

You do realize, that sometimes equipment in between goes down or has issues.

johndart49 #94 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:21

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostFaded, on Apr 24 2012 - 22:15, said:

Yet another person that flails about screaming that the internet is not working perfectly.

You do realize, that sometimes equipment in between goes down or has issues.
i didnt: (flail about screaming?) i was just stating that i dont blame anyone that wouldnt try the so called fixes. they arent fixes at all. nor did i say anything about the internet not working perfectly. its a wg issue, straight up wg issue.

i did:
  directly confront you for being so condesending towards someone that didnt try the so called fixes.

Drakartt #95 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
*scream*

Game crashed and now I get maint error when I try to log in. AGAIN.

Still wont login after the flush, release and renew. Now I get to be *that guy* afk from his tank, not able to play in the battle that they just joined before the game crashed and locked them out of.

reco1994 #96 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:49

Sergeant

• Banned
  • 0 battles
I was warned LOL by a mod about using all caps I sincerely apologize to anyone I offended with all caps I know that must have ruined some of your days  :D

loopsky #97 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:49

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
ive been talking to my lawyer, class action lawsuit to follow soon...  :P

Drakartt #98 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postloopsky, on Apr 24 2012 - 22:49, said:

ive been talking to my lawyer, class action lawsuit to follow soon...  :P

Can we all get a cut and in the end receive $.23 for our troubles? LOL.

johndart49 #99 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:52

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
fowarding....permafix

http://forum.worldof...-permanent-fix/

Wezo #100 Posted Apr 24 2012 - 22:59

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Ok, this is just stupid.

As the game was loading, it crashed. No warning, nothing just boom everythings gone. Not new, this has always happened since day 1, but I digress. After booting everything back up and trying to log into the game where everyone sees a Ferdi just sitting there and the lights salivating as they circle me, I get the "The server is down for scheduled maintenance" crap.

Unreal.