Switching crews to different tank?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

Boxhawk #1 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 14:47

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
How is this done?  My Marder crew is doing well and I want to get a Hetzer and move them over, but I dont want to screw it up for them in the Marder.  Ideally I would move them back and forth.

TheDaschund #2 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 14:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Easy Box, you right click on a crew member and it will now say move to barracks, or move entire crew to barracks.
Move the entire crew. Now demount any equipment from the Marder.
Sell it if you aren't going to keep it.
Buy the Hetzer, on the bottom it'll say buy with out crew. Click that.
Once it's in your garage click on it, you'll notice the incomplete crew. Click on the empty spots and it will show all qualified crew. You should see the Marder crew memebers select them.
Now you'll have to retrain them, you can do this for free down to 50%. Or if you can muster up 20K credits per crew member you can retrain them to 75% or 10% less then there current skill if it's higher. Or train them to 100 if you have the gold burning a hole in your pocket.

That's the process. Hope that helped.

Legiondude #3 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 14:54

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Send your crew to the barracks

Buy a Hetzer with no crew

Dump your marder crew into the Hetzer crew slots

You'll notice they'll have a red percentage. Their training is NERFED by 10-20%. Open up their crew profile to retrain them for the Hetzer

Lert #4 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 14:58

Major

• Community Contributor
  • 0 battles
Moving crews to another tank without retraining will mean they take a significant performance hit in that other tank, to the point where you'd be better off with a fresh 50% crew.

If you move your crew to another tank and re-train them for that tank, they will lose some skill points, and 'forget' everything about driving their original tank. If you want to move them back to their original tank again, you'd have to retrain them again, causing them to lose more skill points.

Retraining a crew for a new tank can be done for free, in which case they'll train to 80% of their current skill level on the old tank, or 50% skill, whichever's highest.
Retraining a crew for a new tank can be done for 20.000 credits per crewmember, in which case they'll train to 90% of their current skill level on the old tank, or 75% skill, whichever's highest.
Retraining a crew for a new tank can be done for 200 gold per crewmember, in which case they'll train to 100% on their primary qualification.

Note that those numbers are only valid if you train them to the same class of vehicle, IE, from your marder to a hetzer. Training them from, say, a marder to a pz III will train them to a lower level, I'm not entirely sure what lower level.

Vicious69 #5 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 14:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostBoxhawk, on Apr 25 2012 - 14:47, said:

How is this done?  My Marder crew is doing well and I want to get a Hetzer and move them over, but I dont want to screw it up for them in the Marder.  Ideally I would move them back and forth.

How its done.

Click crew members in MarderII and send them to barracks.
Switch to Hetzer and click crew positions to move crew from barracks to specific positions.
Retrain crew to be able to use hetzer.

Things to know before moving them.

You can switch your crew between tanks of the same nation but you will have to retrain the crew each time.  When you retrain them for a new tank they will lose experience unless you pay gold (200) per crew member to retrain 100%.

Also when they retrain for a new tank they magically forget how to drive the old tank, so switching them back and forth is really not worth it.

TheDaschund #6 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 15:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I believe when you go cross tank class Lert it goes down to 50%. Regardless of crew's previous experience. That's what I thought I saw anyhow. Representing the crew having the learn entirely new tactics and layout not just equipment.

TheDreadnought #7 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 15:08

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
You can't keep a crew trained on more than 1 tank, ya gotta pick.

Only premium tanks of the same class (light,med,heavy etc.) will accept crews without having to be retrained to that tank.

Boxhawk #8 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 15:16

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostVicious69, on Apr 25 2012 - 14:59, said:

How its done.

Click crew members in MarderII and send them to barracks.
Switch to Hetzer and click crew positions to move crew from barracks to specific positions.
Retrain crew to be able to use hetzer.

Things to know before moving them.

You can switch your crew between tanks of the same nation but you will have to retrain the crew each time.  When you retrain them for a new tank they will lose experience unless you pay gold (200) per crew member to retrain 100%.

Also when they retrain for a new tank they magically forget how to drive the old tank, so switching them back and forth is really not worth it.

This is what I was afraid of.  Oh well, I suppose I will just move the crew from my first TD to the Hetzer, I like to be able to play another game if I get knocked out early in a match.

Thanks for the quick replies all!

Hogan_ #9 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 15:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Penalties

If a crew member is not competent to operate the tank he is placed in, or if a crew member gets injured during battle, then there is a penalty to the base training level of his primary and non-role specific skills. Penalties are always applied before Bonuses.
Lack of Competence
A crew member is always trained for a specific vehicle. Should a crewman operate a vehicle that he is not trained for, he may receive a penalty to his training level. This is indicated by the training level being colored red in the garage screen. A penalty received for the following situations:
If a crew member is in a vehicle of the same class, and the vehicle is not a premium vehicle, he will take a 25% penalty to his current training level. So, for example, 80% base training level will be reduced to 60%, or 100% base training level will be reduced to 75%.
If a crew member is in a vehicle of a different class, and the vehicle is a premium vehicle, he will also take a 25% penalty to his current training level.
If a crew member is in a vehicle of a different class, and the vehicle is not a premium vehicle, he will take a 50% penalty to his current training level. So, for example, an 80% crew will be reduced to 40% base training level, while a 100% crew will reduced to 50% base training level.

Experience gain for each crew member is also reduced under these conditions.

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Crew

_RedCrow_ #10 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 16:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
A question on that note, I have noticed that when I'm in the garage, My crew members are darked out and unaccesable, How can I get to access them ?

Vicious69 #11 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 16:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostHoffie59, on Apr 25 2012 - 16:14, said:

A question on that note, I have noticed that when I'm in the garage, My crew members are darked out and unaccesable, How can I get to access them ?

Is your tank readied up?? Only thing i know of that will prevent changing crew is if you clicked Ready, like in a platoon or company.

_RedCrow_ #12 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 18:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Well what happens is, Im in the garage, getting ready to battle, sometimes i get say like the loaders access but no one else,? I don't think I am explaining this too well actually, Maybe a Screenshot would explian better I'll try and post one this evening after work,
Cheers Mates  :Smile_honoring:

Quillan668 #13 Posted Apr 25 2012 - 18:17

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostBoxhawk, on Apr 25 2012 - 14:47, said:

Simple answer: you cannot. The game treats crew as qualified on only a single tank at a time. If you put them in a tank they are not qualified for, they will suffer penalties. How big those penalties are depends upon the tank they are sitting in and the tank they are qualified on. Going tank destroyer to tank destroyer (same class) is a small penalty. Going light tank to heavy tank (different class) is a large penalty. If you retrain them, they become qualified for the new tank and lose the penalties running it, but now if you stick them back in the original vehicle they won't be qualified for it and will suffer the penalties there.

There is one exception to this rule: premium tanks. One of the hidden benefits of a premium tank is that as long as it is the same class as their qualified vehicle, the crew wont' suffer any penalties for running it. A Churchill is a Russian heavy tank (it's a Lend Lease vehicle), so you can use any Russian heavy tank crew in it without penalty. A Russian medium crew would be penalized.

Since the Hetzer and the Murder II are both German standard tank destroyers there is no way to do it. They are getting ready to introduce a German premium tank destroyer in the near future, though: a tier 8 version of the Jagdtiger with the 88/L71 gun. If you owned that one you'd be able to use either the Murder II crew or the Hetzer crew in it without penalty, but still wouldn't be able to switch the crew between the Murder II and the Hetzer without any drawbacks.