Is the Tiger fun to play?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Is the Tiger fun to play? (220 members have cast votes)

Do you find the Tiger 1 fun?

1. Yes and I have played other heavy tanks (71 votes [38.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.59%

2. Yes and it is my first heavy tank (56 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

3. No (57 votes [30.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.98%

Vote Hide poll

EndlessWaves #1 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 14:25

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I have a dozen tanks in my garage and while the Tiger is the one I'd like to progress most on I find myself rarely playing it. It seems like the ultimate generic tank with a normal gun, some health, no armour and enough speed not to feel sluggish while in no way being fast.

I have a ~100 battles on it, it's fully upgraded and I've plenty of experience of heavy tanks having played several hundred battles on each of the soviet heavies.

What do others think? Can the Tiger be fun for some playstyles or do people generally find it a fairly unmemorable tank?

p.s. I'm asking about how enjoyable the tiger is, not whether it's balanced or not.

Sturmtiger_304 #2 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 14:28

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The developers should give the Tiger I 30+ frontal hull armor to compensate for beeing slower, outgunned & out armored to the Soviet counterpart's IS.

But yes, it is playable when you got the last gun upgrade for the tank itself.
I'd say go for it, if you like the play style it requires.

scrappa55 #3 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 14:28

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I think the tiger 1 is the most fun tank I ever drove. It was fun on the german side to finally feel the power of big armor + big HP. Maybe the modules are a bit too easy to kill but every tank needs a weakness. I used to love it when i had a game of lots pz3-vk3601 and no artillery in the game.  :Smile-izmena:

Armandez #4 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 14:37

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 5806 battles
Never actually played the Tiger I but I have heard nothing but bad things about it and from personal experience I think the Tiger I is weak. When I was using the VK3601 with its last gun I was managing to take out Tiger I's with little trouble because I had that speed advantage and the VK3601 has a good gun, while weak armor but good speed. Then while playing as my Tiger II I find Tiger I's a joke, it seems some of the noobier Tiger I drivers think that because the Tiger II is only one tier above it can at least compete slightly...hell to the no. Even against the Tiger I's most powerful gun I would rarely take significant damage while with the Tiger II's best gun I can take down a Tiger I in around 2 to 3 shots while in that same time the Tiger I is LUCKY if he has brought me down to maybe 75% health. Overall the Tiger I to me is a tank that is isn't exactly under-gunned but its gun is nothing amazing, its speed is pretty much that of a Heavy Tank and its armor...its armor is a joke. Lower tiers walk all over the Tiger I with their speed and higher tiers own the Tiger I because of their superior guns and armor. The Tiger I is like the bastard child of the German tanks it seems, a bit like the KV except the KV has a very good gun for its tier.

ErwinRommel #5 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 14:47

Captain

• Special Beta Testers
  • 1961 battles
is a good tank...but remember to buy kits of repair and of first aid when you play with him!

shanmalinto #6 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 14:52

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
i like my tiger, i have a king tiger but i ground credits back to buy it becuase its quite hard to lose money on and i still find it fun to play, could be a tiny bit better but overall a nice tank.
Although it does tend to get put in higher games.

Zieten #7 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 17:08

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
fully upgraded (with the long 88) the tiger is imo a very enjoyable tank. you hardly bounce any shot but you've got 1450hp to make that up. plays rather like a TD than a heavy tank, but fun nevertheless

Frehelias #8 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 17:52

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Well I don't find it that nice really.
I think it's a darn slow tank. But I need to upgrade the ketten on it. But the gun is quite nice. Got the first 88 on it and I quite like that. The longer 88 can only be better.
But if you get something damaged the damaged thing does work badly after repair. For example if your turret is damaged it will rotate really slow after it's been repaired.
But the tank does have quite some hitpoints and that makes it a plus.

rodhathal #9 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 18:05

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I played a lot of battles with my Tiger I, and after all i love it.
Its broken in some ways and need some learning how to play not like the IS series, but its enjoyable.

Maybe im a bit biased, i just love its looks, i love how its move and shoot, and i love its name so :D

ramp4ge #10 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 18:10

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 333 battles
If they rolled back the armor nerf, gave it it's historical speed and reduced the subsystem damage, it'd be fine.

But nooooo...

Cynabal #11 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 18:26

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3308 battles
  • [CCP] CCP
Like all german tanks (bar TD's) the tiger is totally outclassed by its russian counterparts, they should just call this game World of russian tanks and arty.

VGA #12 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 19:08

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I believe lights and early mediums are better in the german tree.

Tanitha #13 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 19:21

Major

• WG Staff
  • 2405 battles

View Postcynabal, on Oct 02 2010 - 18:26, said:

they should just call this game World of russian tanks

We haven't seen the American ones yet..
+WORT doesn't sound too good..

sharpeh #14 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 19:22

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 1467 battles
I made a rant about the tank in vehicle comparison I believe.

If we are tossing aside the concept of balance then I have simply this to say: The module damage, specifically the ammo rack is so absurd as to make the tiger frustrating and 'unfun'. My rack BLEW up once at most and that was from a fire, it was DAMAGED at least 60 percent of the time and typically on the first shot received.

The king tiger is a blessing and a godsend in comparison and I love my KT more than anything.

MrFumbles #15 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 20:27

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Was going from the KV to KV3 & KV1S(that one only pre-patch) to the Tiger. (Also fumbling around with the Churchill)
Out of all of these the Tiger is the one i would call the overall most stable & consistent platform for heavy duty sniping.
Using the longbarrel 88mm practically all of my outgoing shots do reliably deal damage while the speed & traverse combined with both health and armor it gets allow me to get shots out where the other ones would fail.
Then again - i dont use it for anything else. I dont charge in, or be the spearhead i am following either the main frontline or any random group of mediums & supporting them from range.
I only drive into close quarters to either save said bunch of mediums by distracting a big target or during city fights.
Driving the Tiger around is not much different from the other heavies i listed & own. Only that it packs more of a punch while staying operable quite a while longer.
It is always an enjoyable experience.
I am rather afraid of  SPGs, everything else somehow gets labled as viable target. And that actually is the main difference between my KV3 and the Tiger.
I cant (as of now) confirm the horrid experience the Tiger seems to be for other people, maybe i lack a large enough number of games in that vehicle.
Maybe i am just content with what i got.

Giving it a little more thought... it probably its just me enjoying it as i enjoy the Churchill, the KV, the KV3 & even the KV-1S wich makes some people react rather silly (Especially saying to like
both KV & KV-1S).
So yes, i absolutley enjoy driving that thing around.

Try stuff out, stay happy poke a tiger!

rodhathal #16 Posted Oct 02 2010 - 22:53

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Its just beautiful  :D

http://c.imagehost.o...76/shot_009.jpg

schurem #17 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 00:43

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
you really think so? that boxy hull with no slope on it whatsoever?

the gun looks great yea, much better than the simple tube sticking out of most of my russian stuff.

Lord_Kilhmar #18 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 00:44

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
One problem the Tiger (and German armor in general) face in most tank games is the generic armor value of "millimeters". In real life armor quality was just as important (or perhaps even more so) as armor thickness. Face-hardened high quality Krupp plate armor could be as much as five times more resistant to penetration than low quality cast armor. Russian cast armor was especially suspect with regard to production quality. It can't be emphasized enough that the Tiger I was a very special kind of Panzer, since it had the best quality of everything, compared to any other German tank. So while the Tiger I has 110 mm of armor compared to say a Panther's 80 mm, it might have 300+ mm compared to an IS-3's 200 mm measured in actual protection rather than physical thickness. The Germans, Italians and Brits mostly used rolled plate armor in their designs. The Soviets and Americans however, preferred cast armor or mixed designs for production reasons.

Also while armor slope often is accounted for, round/armor overmatching rarely is, and the Tiger's armor over matched most AT guns of its time and that was a significant contributing factor to its protection. As a general rule, BHN effects, shot shatter, and slope effects are related to the ratio between shot diameter and plate thickness. The relationship is complex, but a larger projectile hitting relatively thinner plate will usually have the advantage, and vice versa.

A third factor that is rarely considered is ammunition quality. The Soviets and western allies had serious quality issues with their main AP rounds for their AT guns. It is often referred to as the "shatter-gap". In effect the projectile was too brittle or soft and would shatter against the face-hardened armor of Tigers, Panthers and other vehicles with armor thickness above 70 mm. There was only a very narrow range where the rounds would penetrate; beyond that range the round would bounce, and at shorter range the round would shatter. However at point-blank range the round would penetrate by brute force even if it shattered, which is why there are so many stories of T-34s and Shermans having to drive right up to German tanks and engaging them at spitting distance.

What does this boil down to? Just that a millimeter by millimeter comparison is rarely if ever useful by itself and most of the time unjustly favors cast steel armor designs.

Hazardz #19 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 01:53

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I played Tiger pre wipe and once upgraded it was a lot of fun. It was also a deeply frustrating tank with the first shot breaking ammo rack more often than not so having 1400HP was totally irrelevant because your combat effectiveness was often 0 once you hit 99% HP. Fortunately the King Tiger afterwards was worth the wait and trawling through hiding in a bush long distance sniping with the Tiger was worthwhile.

The main problem with the Tiger is that it bounces so few shots even though it has decent armour. Having shot at them whilst driving my other tanks I am never afraid that I will not penetrate even with weak guns and they are my favourite target for XP and credits.

Yes and I have played other heavy tanks was my vote. Not my favourite heavy tank by a long way but I did enjoy playing with it.

P.s. Very good points Lord_Kilhmar but of course they couldn't introduce game mechanics such as ones which favoured a German vehicle.

Rance #20 Posted Oct 03 2010 - 03:03

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 11281 battles
The Tiger was my most hated tank (with possible exception of the Hetzer) pre-wipe. Ammo rack, fires, tracking, turret or gun shot out...it was a nightmare. Like a friend of mine said once, the Tiger II was what we were hoping the Tiger I would be. However, after the wipe and some experimentation with other heavies (Tiger II and IS-7) I now find it is my favorite tank to play. In fact, I sold my IS-7 to buy the Tiger I and 90% of the time that's all I play.
   It doesn't explode now when someone sneezes nearby and holds up pretty well. When you get put into a fight with the higher end IS models or the ausB or Maus, most folks pay attention to the big boys so if you mind your Ps and Qs and stay to the side (or back) you can get in a lot of good shots on everyone trying to mob the big boys. In fact, yesterday I took out an IS-4 and an IS-7 in the same match. The 4 was so focused on trying to kill arty I just followed him around and fired into his hind quarters until he was dead. The IS-7 was at 80% but one of my shots must have got his turret so I just stayed ahead of him until he was toast. Of course, it isn't always that optimum, but unlike the old days, I almost always make money, usually in the 10-35k range and I can count on having a fun game, which is the point.
   So, now the Tiger I is what I was hoping it would be at the beginning and I don't mind supporting the Tiger IIs, IS models or any of the other big tanks. It has a solid role to play in WoT and you no longer feel you're cannon fodder. Besides, everyone has their personal favorites, this one is mine. Hope you're as happy in yours :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users