111 replies to this topic

VRMoran #1 Posted May 16 2012 - 04:30

Major

• Players
  • 19405 battles

POPULAR

NOW UPDATED FOR 8.1!!!!!

I'll keep the introduction short here:

The original Buyer's Guide to Premium Tanks was created by myself under a different profile, Panzer4Life. This was an accident on my part, but I would like to set things straight and continue this project under my actual in game name. I will also later post it to the game guides section, since it's kind of one of those dual-functioned posts.

This list is a BUYER'S guide, in that it is to influence player's towards purchasing something that they may wish to buy. Since Premium Tanks are purchased with gold, you need to know what you're getting into. This is not a PLAYER'S guide, in that it's not to teach player's how to play their tanks. That said, the information provided may help point out weaknesses or strengths in their vehicles they may not have previously been aware of.

This is a work in progress, that shall be updated with upcoming tanks. However, with future updates promissing more Tier 8 premiums, the economic strain may make some updates delayed or put off for very long periods of time.

The layout of this guide will be a little different from the one before, and shall go as follows:

Tank Name
Price
Country
Type

Short Summary, trivia, and all that good stuff.

Mobility
This will outline the handling of the vehicle. Speed is analyzed, as are factors like turret and hull traverse, the effects terrain play on the tank, acceleration, turn bleeding, and that kind of stuff.

Firepower
The ability to dish out damage. Penetration, damage, rate of fire, accuracy....all that stuff is covered here.

Survivability
This is more than just the armor of the vehicle. It also factors in things like the size of the vehicle, weakspots, and any gaping flaws in the design such as a weak ammo rack. If any part of this is a Player's Guide, this is where you will see it.

Tactical Utility
The hardest bit of a tank to evaluate, but one that is important to know. It sums up what the tank does well as well as passive stats like view range. If you want to know how your tank is labeled, look here.

One recent change was made. The post has been split between the Tier 2-6 tanks, and the Tier 7-8 tanks. The one for the high tier premium tanks is here:
http://forum.worldof...3/#entry3561855

I was originally going to create a scoring system, but in some instances it becomes hard to fairly analyze. Take firepower: does a low penetration gun still have good firepower if it shoots fast enough to overwhelm any opposition not able to deflect the shots? Some might say yes....others might not.

Anyways, without further ado:

Table of Contents
Use this to find a tank you're interested in. This will let you know the order of the vehicles presented.

NOTE: I only include BUYABLE premium tanks. Special offer ones, or those no longer available, will NOT be included. So don't go looking for the M6A2....thingy or the Type 59.

Tier 2
  • T2 Light Tank
Tier 3
  • M22 Locust
  • T-15
  • T-127
  • PzKpfw S35 739 (f) [The "Somua"]
  • FCM36 Pak 40 [French Tank Destroyer]
Tier 4
  • Valentine
  • 105 leFH18B2 [French artillery]
Tier 5
  • Ram II
  • T-25
  • Matilda
  • T14
  • Churchill
Tier 6
  • ToG II*
  • Dickermax
  • Panzer IV Schmalturm
NOTE: WITH A RECENT FORUM UPDATE PICTURES AREN'T WORKING, EVEN WHEN UPLOADED FROM THE WIKI. I'M IN THE PROGRESS OF FIXING THAT.

Tier 2 Tanks

T2 Light Tank
750 gold
American
Light Tank

Spoiler                     

Tier 3 Tanks

M22 Locust
900 Gold
American
Light Tank

Spoiler                     

T-15
900 Gold
German
Light Tank

Spoiler                     

T-127
850 Gold
Soviet
Light Tank

Spoiler                     

PzKpfw S35 739 (f)
1000 gold
German
Medium Tank

Spoiler                     

FCM36 Pak40
850 gold
French
Tank Destroyer

Spoiler                     

Tier 4

Valentine
1000 gold
Soviet
Light Tank

Spoiler                     

105 leFH18B2
1500 gold
French
Artillery

Spoiler                     

Tier 5 Tanks

RAM II
1750 Gold
American
Medium Tank

Spoiler                     

T-25
1500 Gold
German
Medium Tank

Spoiler                     

Matilda IV
1500 Gold
Soviet
Medium Tank

Spoiler                     

Matilda Black Prince
1750 Gold
British
Medium Tank
Spoiler                     

T14
1500 Gold
American
Heavy Tank

Spoiler                     

Churchill III
1500 Gold
Soviet
Heavy Tank

Spoiler                     

Tier 6 Tanks

ToG-II*
3500 Gold
British
Heavy Tank
Spoiler                     

Dickermax
3200 Gold
German
Tank Destroyer

Spoiler                     

Panzer IV Schmalturm
3750 Gold
German
Medium Tank
Spoiler                     

Edited by VRMoran, Jan 23 2013 - 23:42.

Whee #2 Posted May 16 2012 - 04:48

Major

• Players
  • 24475 battles
Nice guide. I feel the need to pity the French TD. It does not have good stats except for its gun :/

VRMoran #3 Posted May 16 2012 - 04:53

Major

• Players
  • 19405 battles

View PostWhee, on May 16 2012 - 04:48, said:

Nice guide. I feel the need to pity the French TD. It does not have good stats except for its gun :/

Indeed, which saddens me because I actually had high hope. Knew how bad it was, but I thought I could work around it. Still, don't have too many battles in it....but the frequencies of instant death it mind boggling lol

VRMoran #4 Posted May 16 2012 - 18:46

Major

• Players
  • 19405 battles
Alright, has been editted to include tanks up to the T-25. Will continue working on it later, although I have noticed that I am getting some odd formatting problems with this, such as random double spacing and whatnot. Oh well....hope you guys are all liking it so far.

VRMoran #5 Posted May 19 2012 - 02:22

Major

• Players
  • 19405 battles
Now including the Tier 5 heavies. Just the Tier 8's to go, and this will be done. Still....very annoying double spacing formatting errors. Oh well.

Thenoob1234 #6 Posted May 19 2012 - 15:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12139 battles
Please make the T34 and the Lowe's comparison. PLEASE. I am about to buy one of them, and i'm going crazy, unsure which one to buy. I need help!

Spanisharmada #7 Posted May 19 2012 - 15:41

Major

• Players
  • 13865 battles
  • [MEX] MEX
im just gonna put a note on LeFH152Mhy it has a turret looking thing on top
Thats a big weakspot I penned it like 15 times on my T15

Hittman6 #8 Posted May 19 2012 - 16:06

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22695 battles
Very well done.

I bought the Churchill when it was on sale.  It's my favorite tank.  It excels as a sniper.  It's great for base defense.  It's a little too fragile to lead a charge, but as part of one it can be devastating.  It's great for base defense later in the game – if there are a lot of small or medium tanks, stay within range of the base and take them out when they break through.  Add 6th Sense as soon as possible – it not only protects you from arty, but allows you to keep sniping longer by letting you know you haven't been spotted.  Add a rammer and train the loader to 100+%, and it's practically a machine gun.

Cons: It absolutely sucks at climbing hills, even little ones.  The gun depression is poor, which has cost me a battle or three.  The enemy will take out your gun often, so keep a repair kit handy.

I play about 50% of my battles in the Church.  My other tanks are feeling neglected.

Shaftronics #9 Posted May 19 2012 - 16:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5094 battles
Mind if I suggest a few things to mention about the T-25 that's very worth mentioning?

Other than the fact that its a very well-rounded tank, there are a few very well-worth mentioning traits that it has;

1) It has actual gun depression. Oh my god. You can hull down with a German tank? This significantly increases the flexibility of the tank, as you can relocate, and snipe/ambush as well as poke out and shoot from angles only a Sherman or E8 can compete with. Except unlike them, you can move at up to 60 km/h, although at the price of turning speed and turret turning speed of course. If anything, it really feels like a well-armored hellcat that has actual armor that handles turns a little more sluggish in comparison.

2) It can go in reverse at almost 20 km/h. I got this tank before the French tree was out and it was amazing how fast you can retreat and/or relocate. Also great when you -need- to do those 3-point turns in cities just to relocate or escape in the high-tier games or mid-tier games you'll be thrown in due to the default Tier 5 matchmaker. But that's because this tank is FULLY capable of fighting in these tiers. If this had the same MM as the T14 or Churchill, it'd probably receive as much rage as the Type 59.

On a miscellaneous note; Its been mentioned in the Wiki that it was originally to be fitted with a Drum Autoloader, much like the French. I doubt they'll be implementing it, but just sayin'.

Edited by Shaftronics, May 19 2012 - 16:19.

rinying #10 Posted May 19 2012 - 16:28

Major

• Players
  • 11427 battles
im by no means a churchill vet. or even remotely an experienced churchill player, ive only played at most 20 game :(. but those 20 games were fun as heck, and i noticed that the turret on the thing is weaker then the frontal hull, so when one on oneing an enemy church, aim for the turret. also, try to get into spots at where arty have a harder time hitting you, and you can see your enemy. its also a good thing to know that the rof goes UNDER 2 secs, lol.

Shaftronics #11 Posted May 19 2012 - 16:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5094 battles

View Postrinying, on May 19 2012 - 16:28, said:

im by no means a churchill vet. or even remotely an experienced churchill player, ive only played at most 20 game :(. but those 20 games were fun as heck, and i noticed that the turret on the thing is weaker then the frontal hull, so when one on oneing an enemy church, aim for the turret. also, try to get into spots at where arty have a harder time hitting you, and you can see your enemy. its also a good thing to know that the rof goes UNDER 2 secs, lol.

The person was probably aiming for your hatch, which is a valid tactic when most of the front of a Churchill is still relatively well-armored. In my T14, the hatch is all I go for if I'm forced in a frontal conflict.

Edited by Shaftronics, May 19 2012 - 16:33.

VRMoran #12 Posted May 19 2012 - 16:34

Major

• Players
  • 19405 battles

View PostShaftronics, on May 19 2012 - 16:18, said:

Mind if I suggest a few things to mention about the T-25 that's very worth mentioning?

I did mention that, though perhaps I could elaborate. The gun depression on it was a HUGE advantage. Also going to mention the reverse speed...all things considered, the T-25 really is a versatile little tank. Immediately after making its entry I was reminded of how much I liked it, so I played a round in it and got an effortless top gun. It is definetly a tank about "location location location."

View PostThenoob1234, on May 19 2012 - 15:03, said:

Please make the T34 and the Lowe's comparison. PLEASE. I am about to buy one of them, and i'm going crazy, unsure which one to buy. I need help!

I shall complete this guide either later today or tomorrow. Fear not my friend, because that will be my finale :)

Although I do wish to say when the next few tanks come out I might have difficulty acquiring them because of financial reasons, just an FYI

Azyur #13 Posted May 19 2012 - 19:25

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 19749 battles
  • [MOB] MOB
Great work and thanks for your efforts,VRMoran! +1

B0X #14 Posted May 19 2012 - 19:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4587 battles
I agree that the Churchill is an amazing moneymaker.  I remember back when I first got my matilda I could spam HE and basically render tanks useless with the sheer amount of crits.

anna_tankgirl #15 Posted May 19 2012 - 21:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 8953 battles
I have several of these in my current garage the M22, T14 (sale also helped the vets so its even cooler), T25, the 105 leFH18B2 , Valentine, Matilda and the Churchill. My take on them is the guide is quite accurate but want to add some things:

Equipment costs for some of these can be cheap the gun rammer in the Churchill is the MEDIUM one so its 200k as opposed to 500k. And my advice anything with 50+ armor that you can Spall Liner especially the Lend-Lease Russians and the 105leFH18B2 (trust me the biggest threat is arty splashes trying to hit you and it helps).

The Valentine turns like a fine lady its not fast but once in a fight and with the MM you have the advantage of being well placed you can go at it even against multiple tanks so use it. The Matilda is compact and smaller than other mediums and that helps most arty won't aim for you unless your stopped so I recommend a Spall Liner again, gun rammer and a tool box go for the skills of fire control and repair first split two to each to your crew. Once that is maxed out you can take off the toolbox for a vent system. The Churchill I would stilck to the basics is a armored box with a fast gun go for a Spall Liner, Gun Rammer and Gun Laying Drive you will often stop to fire away anyway so why mince around focus on what you do.

The T25 is the most challenging the MM can be rough and its hard for me to get the hang of the best ways I have used it is to support bigger tanks but have gotten kills but against a Tier VIII there is little you can do unless the big tank has a bigger issue to worry about. But flanking you can do some serious damage.

T14 is nice the gun rammer is a good investment first.

The arty is nice not as fast aiming and targeting as my SU-26 but is more than capable, had a nice range and good rof with good armor but I can still get two to three kills on a good map and with the team doing thir job.

The M22 is good and fast, small and has passing armor I consider it on par with many Russian lights not fancy but is a very solid light, decent at scouting and can skirmish decently to.

Tactic for the Valentine I have to add its not fast but can flank a TD or vehicle like the Hetzer once there tuck up onto it and fire like nuts odds are you can take it out it just won't be easy and your rof will be faster use your tank to make it not turn to fire for as long as you can. Alternatively tuck behind some obstacle and ask for help. Your saving grace is your elegant turning power once out of the guns field of fire you have the advantage if you use it.

VRMoran #16 Posted May 19 2012 - 21:18

Major

• Players
  • 19405 battles
Anna, thank you for pointing out some of these things. Some of them I didn't include because they're more tactical things, but still worth mentioning. I use spall liners on my Churchill, for sure, though I prefer vents over the GLD myself...didn't notice much help from the GLD.

I am always open to advice and whatnot. There are a couple of tanks I have trouble with still, namely the T-127 and the Matilda. Those are two tanks I have trouble justifying so far.

VRMoran #17 Posted May 20 2012 - 00:39

Major

• Players
  • 19405 battles
It is finished! Now updated for Tier 8 premiums, please discuss anything that may have been overlooked in this guide.

Also, just in case I missed something, point out any random formatting errors. The new editor sucks compared to the old one lol

dsnoman #18 Posted May 26 2012 - 15:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17190 battles
Good guide. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Anyway. I read your guide before and noticed that no type 59 was mentioned. I was planning on picking up a Lowe until the Types went on sale for that short period of time. So i picked up the Type because i have plenty of German snipers in my garage and thought that the Type 59 would give me a nice contrast to that.

I was wondering how the MM treats the Locust? I wanted to pick one up for some fun. Thanks

VRMoran #19 Posted May 26 2012 - 18:48

Major

• Players
  • 19405 battles

View Postdsnoman, on May 26 2012 - 15:53, said:

Good guide. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Anyway. I read your guide before and noticed that no type 59 was mentioned. I was planning on picking up a Lowe until the Types went on sale for that short period of time. So i picked up the Type because i have plenty of German snipers in my garage and thought that the Type 59 would give me a nice contrast to that.

I was wondering how the MM treats the Locust? I wanted to pick one up for some fun. Thanks

Wasn't the Type 59 removed from the store? I have one and can do a write up, since I have one, but I'd rather keep from adding tanks not in the store (hence why there's no Hotchkiss or B2).

The MM for the Locust isn't too bad. Sometimes it will see tier 5's, but it's normally fighting up to Tier 4 or even being Top Tier. It's another thing I like; actually makes ok money too, about 10k profit

Psyklops #20 Posted Jun 09 2012 - 21:05

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 14275 battles
  • [RIVEN] RIVEN
I vote sticky for this thread!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users