T14 and the secret to it's success!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

Zaratank #1 Posted May 22 2012 - 17:16

Captain

• Players
  • 7947 battles
The history shows, factually, that the tank was embodied mainly in blueprints. Though 1 tank was made, and it passed trials, only another half-chassis was built before production was completely halted. The tank was built as a joint U.S./British program. So, in summary, this British/U.S. hybrid heavy tank only had 1 and a half tanks built before production halted, and existed mainly in blueprints. The secret in all this? The dev's could easily tweak up the machine, having there been only one test vehicle made! A few changes here, a bit more accuracy there, and voila! You have a historical tank that was not to be sitting in your garage raking in the dough. Anyone else agree with this theory? Or have a countertheory that is better?

BA_Baracus #2 Posted May 22 2012 - 17:20

Captain

• Players
  • 39143 battles
T14 is a steel wall machine. I love that tank!

masterzjg #3 Posted May 22 2012 - 17:22

Captain

• Players
  • 24119 battles

View PostZaratank, on May 22 2012 - 17:16, said:

The history shows, factually, that the tank was embodied mainly in blueprints. Though 1 tank was made, and it passed trials, only another half-chassis was built before production was completely halted. The tank was built as a joint U.S./British program. So, in summary, this British/U.S. hybrid heavy tank only had 1 and a half tanks built before production halted, and existed mainly in blueprints. The secret in all this? The dev's could easily tweak up the machine, having there been only one test vehicle made! A few changes here, a bit more accuracy there, and voila! You have a historical tank that was not to be sitting in your garage raking in the dough. Anyone else agree with this theory? Or have a countertheory that is better?

So the fact it has the most favorable MM in the game isn't enough (same as churchill)? Yes it needs to be buffed even more so that it's invincible.

CrzyEyBllz #4 Posted May 22 2012 - 17:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 10240 battles
Two T14 were maid. both sit in museums in the USA and England.

cccino #5 Posted May 22 2012 - 18:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4314 battles

View Postmasterzjg, on May 22 2012 - 17:22, said:

So the fact it has the most favorable MM in the game isn't enough (same as churchill)? Yes it needs to be buffed even more so that it's invincible.
I'd take a better gun over better matchmaking any day.

sPzAbt505 #6 Posted May 22 2012 - 21:13

Captain

• Players
  • 18705 battles
  • [-TOG-] -TOG-
I don't see that the problem is.
the T14s gun is more than good enough for 85% of the tanks it will ever face.

dvang #7 Posted May 22 2012 - 22:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16115 battles
The T14's gun struggles mightily vs all tier 5 and above tanks (even most tier 5 TDs).  The difficulty with this, is that the T14 is typically the top tank in the match, and a heavy, so it is expected to face off against opposing KV-1's and Churchills ... both of which have more armor and more powerful guns.  That isn't to say that the T14 can't do so, but they can't usually slug it out one on one and hope to win.  The T14 has to use its (slightly) better mobility to its advantage, getting side shots and hitting weak points as much as possible.  Unlike the Churchill and KV-1, which in Tier5 matches they can often work solo just fine, a T14 really needs backup, either a T5 medium or TD with a decent gun.

I have learned, that you cannot really play a T14 as a "heavy" in the sense of being able to sit still and trade shots and doing very little maneuvering (beyond peek-a-boo).  The T14 is all but required to move and flank against other heavies if you are by yourself.

masterzjg #8 Posted May 23 2012 - 19:16

Captain

• Players
  • 24119 battles

View Postcccino, on May 22 2012 - 18:00, said:

I'd take a better gun over better matchmaking any day.

You won't be saying that when you get 40 extra penetration and have normal tier 5 heavy MM. You'd be crying for your old MM weight back.

Edited by masterzjg, May 23 2012 - 19:16.

Engine_of_War #9 Posted May 23 2012 - 20:53

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 11450 battles
If the T14 avoids T1s or KV-1s its golden against everythign else. its bouncy and has a decent gun. the aformentioned T1 and KV-1 have enough armor to make its gun moot (unless it REALLY aims and gets lucky, or gets side/rear shots).  Its a good tank and a good money maker.

wilt57 #10 Posted May 23 2012 - 21:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35768 battles
  • [ARS3] ARS3
Keep some HE rounds loaded up for the bigger guys.  No they won't help you beat them, but they'll soften them up for your teammates.  No, you shouldn't try and square off with T1s, KV-1s, and Churchills.  Although you can pen them from the sides, usually quite easily.  Just like the M3 Lee, the gun can wreck through anything tier 4 and below.  Once more people become aware of the T14's strengths and weaknesses, it won't seem like such a sucky tank and hopefully people will stop expecting them to take a KV-1 head on one-on-one.

wilt57

PiperFM #11 Posted May 25 2012 - 04:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 14302 battles
  • [PNW_A] PNW_A
How often will this tank be top tier?  If it's fairly often, I might buy it.

And hey wilt57!  Remember Piper, from ND's forum?

120mm_he #12 Posted May 26 2012 - 04:30

Major

• Players
  • 15798 battles
  • [PBS] PBS

View PostPiperFM, on May 25 2012 - 04:01, said:

How often will this tank be top tier?  If it's fairly often, I might buy it.
I'd say at least nine out of ten games if not more has you literal top tank past any other t14, t1 or churchills with the rest of the roster a hodgpodge of tier 3 and 4 tanks.

Kv-1 are a bit rarer and when you finally hit a tier 6 fight there typically are only a couple per side though there will be plentiful other tier 5 tanks of all types.

As far as fighting other tier 5 heavys the churchill is easy to pen as long as you don't shoot the small rectangular plate around the machine gun port and the kv-1 and t1 both quickly fall to viewport and turret ring shots.

If you decide to pick one up then at the very least gold the commander, gunner and loader to 100% and the driver and radioman to 75% with creds.

With a stock crew the t14 is abysmal at best which is most likely why there are lots of comments from new players buying it and immediatly saying its terrible.

Add in vents, rammer and whatever else floats your boat(binocs for me) along with bia and the buff skills the t14 is damn near unstoppable when driven with skill.

One last bit of advice in two words: Hull. Down.

This tank has excellent gun depression and its slope is tailor made for nudging up to a small rise and getting 70 degrees or more frontal slope to autobounce most shots.

KarateF22 #13 Posted May 26 2012 - 08:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 12011 battles
The "secret" is its well armored turret and sloped front. Considering that even a partial hull down artificially increases your front's slope and you likely have well over 100 effective armor everywhere but the machine gun port. Factor in the worse players on average at tier five and you have one hell of a pub stomping tank.

PiperFM #14 Posted May 27 2012 - 06:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 14302 battles
  • [PNW_A] PNW_A
Cool, I'm getting this thing, and I think my less fortunate friend will be getting a nice gift soon. :)

andagoat #15 Posted May 27 2012 - 22:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13830 battles
  • [FLIV] FLIV

View Postdvang, on May 22 2012 - 22:15, said:

The T14's gun struggles mightily vs all tier 5 and above tanks (even most tier 5 TDs).  The difficulty with this, is that the T14 is typically the top tank in the match, and a heavy, so it is expected to face off against opposing KV-1's and Churchills ... both of which have more armor and more powerful guns.  That isn't to say that the T14 can't do so, but they can't usually slug it out one on one and hope to win.  The T14 has to use its (slightly) better mobility to its advantage, getting side shots and hitting weak points as much as possible.  Unlike the Churchill and KV-1, which in Tier5 matches they can often work solo just fine, a T14 really needs backup, either a T5 medium or TD with a decent gun.

That is false my friend. The Churchill's gun is anythingbut powerful. A better gun, yes, but it is in no way more powerful than any tank above stock tier 4.

ledhed14 #16 Posted May 31 2012 - 20:56

Major

• Players
  • 14421 battles
  • [_SOA_] _SOA_
Churchill gun is powerbad.
Its in tier punishment because it shoots rubber bullets.
The armour?
Ever watch hit skins on youtube?  The Churchill relies on flat armour.
you can pen it most anywhere with the T14 gun and HE to front hull plate can kill driver and knock out engine turning it into a block with a 57 mm gun.
You get a crit on turret and gun breaks or worse gunner dies ..and the guns now useless.
I own both,  and I like both.
But one vs one the T14. Is just too much for the Churchill unless the T14. Driver gets dopey and allows shots without angle,  or shots down through the front plate,  and worse through V machine gun port ..
Churchill gun is great for giving other tanks steel walls because its innacurate and low pen,  low damage.
But it fires bounced rounds very fast.
You can if your at top in EITHER tank do well,  provided a Sherman 76 mm or PanzerIV with konish 75 mm don't sneak in.
KV1 - all things being equal should wreck either of the two in a few shots.
Thankfully in pubs that hardly ever happens.
Track the KV1 ..use HE..go try to get a side shot or rear shot in with either tank.
Easier to do with the T14.
We platoon both ..two Churchill or T14 can burn KV1 ..if they work at it as a team.
The Churchill seems to suffer more though when a weakpoint is penetrated.
Your bigger threats are - MarderII - TD'S ..mostly because your view range sucks.
T-28. Medium with 85 mm is high pen and damage for the tier.
The 76 mm US will tear you up angles or no.
The 75 mm konish on PanzerIV ..your just dead.
So don't let them catch you alone or get flank on you.
Try to keep track of where they are spotted in the match.

gman2725 #17 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 00:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9898 battles

View Postledhed14, on May 31 2012 - 20:56, said:

Its in tier punishment because it shoots rubber bullets.
The armour?
Ever watch hit skins on youtube?  The Churchill relies on flat armour.
you can pen it most anywhere with the T14 gun and HE to front hull plate can kill driver and knock out engine turning it into a block with a 57 mm gun.
You get a crit on turret and gun breaks or worse gunner dies ..and the guns now useless.
I own both,  and I like both.
But one vs one the T14. Is just too much for the Churchill unless the T14. Driver gets dopey and allows shots without angle,  or shots down through the front plate,  and worse through V machine gun port ..
Churchill gun is great for giving other tanks steel walls because its innacurate and low pen,  low damage.
But it fires bounced rounds very fast.
You can if your at top in EITHER tank do well,  provided a Sherman 76 mm or PanzerIV with konish 75 mm don't sneak in.
KV1 - all things being equal should wreck either of the two in a few shots.
Thankfully in pubs that hardly ever happens.
Track the KV1 ..use HE..go try to get a side shot or rear shot in with either tank.
Easier to do with the T14.
We platoon both ..two Churchill or T14 can burn KV1 ..if they work at it as a team.
The Churchill seems to suffer more though when a weakpoint is penetrated.
Your bigger threats are - MarderII - TD'S ..mostly because your view range sucks.
T-28. Medium with 85 mm is high pen and damage for the tier.
The 76 mm US will tear you up angles or no.
The 75 mm konish on PanzerIV ..your just dead.
So don't let them catch you alone or get flank on you.
Try to keep track of where they are spotted in the match.

You are forgetting that the churchill's armor layout means it takes more ZERO damage penetrations than any other tank I've seen in game. And while you're getting zero damage penetrations, it is busy chewing you apart with the better penetrating, fast firing, more accurate gun it has.

Treads_of_Fate #18 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 17:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18271 battles
Actually I'd say the T14 receives just as many 0 damage pens as the Churchill.  This is due to the side skirts over the tracks.  Such amazing damage sponges.  And what hits you do take tend to not do very much damage.

I actually play my T14 pretty recklessly, always pushing into the enemy line, advancing my flank (I always encourage teammates to follow me, so I have their guns as support, and they have my armor to advance the line). I tend to finish the fight with sub 30% health, 2+ kills, and the win.

Just looking at stats, this tank might be my single best performer.  It's average xp per battle is a full 200 higher than my overall average.  It has considerably more kills than matches played (and thus deaths), and at last count I think 8 steel walls.  It's currently sitting at 76% win rate, with a total of 55 matches. Granted, that's not very many yet, but there is one very important thing to note: This was all accomplished with crew that started at 75% (currently at 96%), and no equipment at all. It was essentially a "stock" premium. I can only imagine the chaos I'll cause once I've got 100% crew with skills and perks, and some equipment in this monster. LOVE this tank.

1SLUGGO1 #19 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 18:23

Major

• Players
  • 24723 battles
T14 gets better MM and better money generation since the patch, but somewhere maybe a patch or two ago, the tank is overall worse than it was before.

I ran a 100% crew, then after one of the patches, the turret traverse, acceleration, and accuracy were worse.  Maybe not something someone else would have noticed, but at the time, it was my most played tank.  Now it feels too....soft and slow.

I killed a T14 today on the dragon map, side pen on sloped side 50mm armor with the KV-1, 85mm...at 423 meters.  So much for bouncy, 0 damage pen shots, eh?

The T14 does get spaced armor on its sides (btw, the sides are 90% ammo rack underneath the sloped armor, both left and right sides), but the front, while sloped, is easy to pen.

At penetration ranges for the churchill against the t14, the t14 cannot frontally penetrate the churchill anywhere but the tracks.  With an average penetration of 90mm, it's an ok gun, but the accuracy dooms it to tier 4 and below work.  It can't even reliably pen a Hetzer, you have to ram that td to kill it from the front.

The speed is good, but traverse is stock tier 5, so you need about 100m open room to flank around a tank.

I played before the MM fix, so the majority of the battles I have are from tier 7 matches and so on.  The Ram II is a better tank, I have a 59% win rate in it, and it has less health, has a better gun (still slightly worse than the churchill), and heavier, but poorer or nonsloped hull armor.  The Ram II will bounce T14 shots as close as 100m as the Ram II shreds through the T14.

The t14, is the easiest tier 5 premium to kill in most situations.  Because of it's centrally located turret, it always has to expose its hull in level-ground situations.  If its hull down, who cares?  I just go around it.  Because it is more sluggish than it used to be, it's easy prey for artillery, and a prime target over other assets on your team, even lower health ones.  I was actually told by an arty player (with many players agreeing) "its hard to miss a t14". The gun is harmless enough that a hull down t14 isn't much of a threat to most tier 5 tanks.

It can make you money, but if your not looking to train crew on it, just get another premium instead.  I won't recommend the churchill, as I have never played it, but the Ram II is lots of fun, even in higher matches, and will get into tier 5 matches too; if you must have an american tank under 12k gold

Edited by 1SLUGGO1, Jun 01 2012 - 18:38.

1SLUGGO1 #20 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 18:34

Major

• Players
  • 24723 battles

View Postledhed14, on May 31 2012 - 20:56, said:

The t14 gun is worse in every way but alpha (slightly better), aim time (slightly better, not significantly so), and elevation (somewhat better). The churchill is an overall lower tank. And although it is weak in the sides and behind, the t14 is weak in the hull from every aspect.

Edited by 1SLUGGO1, Jun 01 2012 - 18:40.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users