I should pay to play... why?

Tier Gold Balance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

Dimitar #1 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 12369 battles
So I got online today after a long time away paid for gold to pay for my premium account and I got a tank as well. Happy day right? Wrong. I got the T14 tier V heavy, my friend has the Priest and my other friend a Hetzer. We formed a platoon and everytime it would put us against tier VII to IX. So my shots were bouncing off the medium tanks. I figured I would buy ammunitions with gold. Load up my nice new ammo on my shiny T14, I go into battle with a new found oomph, and what hapens? I hit another T14 and my gold ammo BOUNCED, 3 times it bounced.

So, hey, I get on my T1 HT, I figured I was driving a premium tank and that's why I was matched against tiers so much higher. No, same deal, me and a Priest at tier IV and V matched with tiers VIII and IX. So my ammo was bouncing again, gold ammo too. I am good at hiding and aiming, I hit a KV-5 seven times. I counted 3 bounces a ricochet and 3 hits for 0 damage. "Enemy hit" means nothing I guess, even with AP gold ammo.

So here's my problem, I paid for an account, I paid for gold, I paid for a tank, that's fine. Why am I being matched against a Lowe and KV-5s if my guns cannot penetrate their armor. I got the experience to get to tier V, I paid for the account, I paid for the gold to conver experience. I get nothing in return, no fair matchmaking, no premium tank with penetration. I'm being put in matches where I run around like a iunich in Rome.

So my question remains, why should I pay to play. All I get is aggrivation. I get that 20 or 30 dollars is not a lot of money, but if I have to do that every month  it adds up quickly. So what am I doing it for? Or should I just pay for one Lowe too and go around shooting tier V as well. Where's the fun in that? There's no fun in being shot at with nothing you can do. In a T1 you can't out run a Lowe or KV-5, you can't dissable their tracks, you can't penetrate their armor, so you become the fish in the barrel.

So tell me developers, what did I spend my money on? Because I feel like I'm getting bent over. You want to be sucessful right? Well the most sucessful MMO is WoW. No real meney equipment, no real money in-game currency, no real money in-game experienc, gear, charecters, weapons, or upgrades. Full charecter/class balance, player-vs-player matchmaking balance, gear balance, and so on. And even with all that they still managed to overshadow your year-end profit.

Some players may argue agains my comparison, a fantasy game VS a so/so simulator. But if we had to be realistic the Lowe would never have the joy of meeting a T1 on a battle field, unless some commander got lost somewhere (which did hapen in WWII, especially towards the end of the war). So realism went out the window the moment you decided to matchmake tanks that were made years appart and the T1 was taken out of service before the Lowe and the KV-5 were wet ink on paper.

Fix the matchmaking system, it's broken. This is stupid. I will not spend a dime before I see myself being matched against people around my tier, at most 1 tier above and 2 tiers bellow. I want to feel the excitment of tring to out manuver the enemy, use some skill and tactics. If you don't you might as well throw in some tier I and II in the mix, why not? They have as much of a shot against a KV-3 and 5 as I do.

Drakken #2 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:25

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 22511 battles
just so you know tier 4 SPG's end up in tier 6+ matches everytime. SPG's are never good to platoon with when they are tier 4+ unless you are driving tier 7+ med/heavy/tank destroyers as you will be put in t6+ matches almost everytime. it is the main reason i do not platoon.

View PostDimitar, on May 23 2012 - 08:20, said:

Some players may argue agains my comparison, a fantasy game VS a so/so simulator.

im not going to say anything about the comparision. but WoT is not and will never be a simulator or even close to a simulator. it is a arcade style game.

Edited by Drakken, May 23 2012 - 08:29.

grimre #3 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:26

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8876 battles
  • [VET] VET
I'm pretty sure it's the priest's fault why you are getting matched up in Tier VIII and Tier IX battles often.  Matchmaking ranks artillery higher when ranking the entire platoon.  Remove the priest from the platoon and you should get more favorable matchmaking results.

Edited by grimre, May 23 2012 - 08:32.

SnowPanzer #4 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:29

Captain

• Players
  • 25661 battles
  • [GSH] GSH
I only use gold now to move crews to new tanks, which happens less and less since I have most of the tanks I want, and premium account. Nothing else is worth much for me.

Edited by SnowPanzer, May 23 2012 - 08:30.

Din_Djinn #5 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16749 battles
Gotta agree with the others and blame the Priest.  My T14 never gets matched-up these days past tier VII, tops, and usually I'm one of the top 5 tanks.

Dimitar #6 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 12369 battles
We tried it with T1 and Hatzer Hatzer or T1 with M3 Lee. It still matched us against 3 and 4 tiers above. I wouldn't be here, posting, if I didn't spend half the night bouncing bulles off of tracks and huls, not even turrets.

Drakken #7 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:32

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 22511 battles

View PostDin_Djinn, on May 23 2012 - 08:30, said:

Gotta agree with the others and blame the Priest.  My T14 never gets matched-up these days past tier VII, tops, and usually I'm one of the top 5 tanks.
that is because the t14 and the other t5 cash tank has had its MM values reduced so it almost never gets put it matches higher then tier 6 to 7 unless you platoon with tanks that have higher MM values then your own tank.

Edited by Drakken, May 23 2012 - 08:34.

iCanon #8 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15910 battles
  • [MEH] MEH
You can't pay to be good. It takes time and a lot of games to learn how to pos. yourself, where to aim on certain tanks and what tier to platoon with.

Best advice I can give you is make your account premium, stop using gold ammo, accelerate crew training instead of getting free xp and converting it and pick a nation tree and level every tank up to tier 5/6 (4/5 for SPG's) figure out what tank/playstyle you enjoy playing and continue down that tree.

That and keep up to date on the forums, read guides and watch other players and see how they play.

Din_Djinn #9 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16749 battles

View PostDrakken, on May 23 2012 - 08:32, said:

that is because the t14 and the other t5 cash tank has had its MM values reduced so it almost never gets put it matches higher then tier 6 to 7 unless you platoon with tanks that have higher MM values then your own tank.

Well, gotta disagree on one thing, my T-25 is tier 5 premium and is usually the bottom tank in tier 8 battles.  Since 7.3, T-14 gets a more favorable MM>

Drakken #10 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:41

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 22511 battles

View PostDin_Djinn, on May 23 2012 - 08:36, said:

Well, gotta disagree on one thing, my T-25 is tier 5 premium and is usually the bottom tank in tier 8 battles.  Since 7.3, T-14 gets a more favorable MM>
they did not touch the values on the t-25 that i am aware of. i had to log in game to get the name of the other tank. they changed the values on the t14 and the churchill. i do not own any of those 3 tanks but have paid for a total of 6 months of premium and have bought the Lowe cash tank at the 12500 gold cost. i do not use gold to convert experience nor to purchase gold ammo. i only use it for premium as that is all i need.

kebab6597 #11 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:58

Major

• Players
  • 38340 battles
  • [BE] BE
Things that can put you into higher tiered battles include arty, TD,s and platoons other than that tier 5s will get put into tier 8 battles but your not there to fight the tier 8 heavy there are an equal number of lower tiered vehicles on your team as there are on the enemy team hunt them out and fight them or distract the tier 8s while your bigger tanks take care of them

Nobody forces anyone to buy gold nor premium tanks its personal choice but dont expect premium tanks to be as good as there earned counterparts in general they are slightly weaker in atleast 1 area and while the T14 has great armour for its tier and qiute a qiuck firing gun the gun doesnt have very good pen values but it will still hold its own against tier 6s and below

Azumazi #12 Posted May 23 2012 - 08:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8124 battles
No the problem he is experiencing is what happens when a game loses growth and becomes top heavy. As it stands now the tier 1-6 stage is nearly skipped as a lot more people are moving to buying tier 8 prems to ignore the issue of they themselves being put at tier 5 into tier 9 games. Now don't say it doesn't happen because if I see only 10k people or so on at night my 3/4 or my KV-1 both get tossed into tier 8/9 games 70% of the time. At least my 3/4 can go arty hunting with the t-50's or other lights and my KV has decent enough pen to damage sides and rears of most tanks but the T-14 of his and T1 are both shafted harshly.

Sadly a lot of players have been voicing a hard cap on the tiers since closed beta and it has fallen on def ears and a lot of people can literally count on both hands how many people they know who have got to tier 4 and quit because they were tired of being farmed by tier's 3 above theirs in non-SPG's. We really do need a 2 tier hard cap , excluding platoon's of course, so that you never face anything 2 tiers above your own except for tier 5 lights and SPGs. Yes I'm also saying tier 4 lights shouldn't see at the least above tier 7 games as the majority of them are going to their first tier 5 and do not have the crew to properly scout and now that we have dedicated tier 5 scouts they should be the ones limited to that horror as they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into when they trained for them.

Tanitha #13 Posted May 23 2012 - 09:18

Major

• WG Staff
  • 2405 battles

I figured I would buy ammunitions with gold. Load up my nice new ammo on my shiny T14, I go into battle with a new found oomph, and what hapens? I hit another T14 and my gold ammo BOUNCED, 3 times it bounced.

The fact that you cant buy your way to victory, is something most people would say is a good thing.
Gold is meant to make the game easier to level up, not turn the tide of a battle.

For example the premium you bought will make the leveling much faster and save you a lot of time.

As said above, platooning with a artillery will drag you into higher battles.
There is a matchmaking chart in the official matchmaker thread which will better show you this.

http://forum.worldof...ker-discussion/

Regards
Tan.

Shaftronics #14 Posted May 23 2012 - 09:29

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5094 battles
Tanitha here has given you all the answers you need. The T14 and Churchill are the only Tier 5 mediums with a maximum tier of 6, so don't platoon with any other tanks whie using it.

Against another T14? Learn your weakspots. Both the T1 and T14 can be pen'd from the machine gun port without gold shells.

negatimo #15 Posted May 23 2012 - 11:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12727 battles
  • [SASKD] SASKD

View PostShaftronics, on May 23 2012 - 09:29, said:

The T14 and Churchill are the only Tier 5 mediums ...

nope, they are heavies ;)

meds like ram2, or german T-25 suffer from higher MM values though

[i liked driving my ram, i love bringing hell upon my enemies in T14]

Shaftronics #16 Posted May 23 2012 - 12:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5094 battles
Crap, I derped there. Was posting from my phone. Lol.

I meant to say Tier 5 Premiums. Brain apparently registered it wrongly, or my phone's auto-correct derped on my behalf.

wolfyute #17 Posted May 23 2012 - 12:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 13976 battles
You shouldnt pay any gold, WoT has really turned into a shit game.

If I could get a refund for all the money I gave to WG to support them, when the game was fun, I would take all that money back. I regret supporting WoT now.

Doesnt matter Mechwarrior Online is coming soon, and so I will have a new game with heavy metal and big guns. As for tanks, I will go back to playing T34 vs Tiger to get my simulator fix.

MachetePanda #18 Posted May 23 2012 - 16:10

Captain

• Players
  • 6803 battles
  • [UFP] UFP

So I got online today after a long time away paid for gold to pay for my premium account and I got a tank as well. Happy day right? Wrong. I got the T14 tier V heavy, my friend has the Priest and my other friend a Hetzer. We formed a platoon and everytime it would put us against tier VII to IX. So my shots were bouncing off the medium tanks. I figured I would buy ammunitions with gold. Load up my nice new ammo on my shiny T14, I go into battle with a new found oomph, and what hapens? I hit another T14 and my gold ammo BOUNCED, 3 times it bounced.

So, hey, I get on my T1 HT, I figured I was driving a premium tank and that's why I was matched against tiers so much higher. No, same deal, me and a Priest at tier IV and V matched with tiers VIII and IX. So my ammo was bouncing again, gold ammo too. I am good at hiding and aiming, I hit a KV-5 seven times. I counted 3 bounces a ricochet and 3 hits for 0 damage. "Enemy hit" means nothing I guess, even with AP gold ammo.

So here's my problem, I paid for an account, I paid for gold, I paid for a tank, that's fine. Why am I being matched against a Lowe and KV-5s if my guns cannot penetrate their armor. I got the experience to get to tier V, I paid for the account, I paid for the gold to conver experience. I get nothing in return, no fair matchmaking, no premium tank with penetration. I'm being put in matches where I run around like a iunich in Rome.

So my question remains, why should I pay to play. All I get is aggrivation. I get that 20 or 30 dollars is not a lot of money, but if I have to do that every month  it adds up quickly. So what am I doing it for? Or should I just pay for one Lowe too and go around shooting tier V as well. Where's the fun in that? There's no fun in being shot at with nothing you can do. In a T1 you can't out run a Lowe or KV-5, you can't dissable their tracks, you can't penetrate their armor, so you become the fish in the barrel.

So tell me developers, what did I spend my money on? Because I feel like I'm getting bent over. You want to be sucessful right? Well the most sucessful MMO is WoW. No real meney equipment, no real money in-game currency, no real money in-game experienc, gear, charecters, weapons, or upgrades. Full charecter/class balance, player-vs-player matchmaking balance, gear balance, and so on. And even with all that they still managed to overshadow your year-end profit.

Some players may argue agains my comparison, a fantasy game VS a so/so simulator. But if we had to be realistic the Lowe would never have the joy of meeting a T1 on a battle field, unless some commander got lost somewhere (which did hapen in WWII, especially towards the end of the war). So realism went out the window the moment you decided to matchmake tanks that were made years appart and the T1 was taken out of service before the Lowe and the KV-5 were wet ink on paper.

Fix the matchmaking system, it's broken. This is stupid. I will not spend a dime before I see myself being matched against people around my tier, at most 1 tier above and 2 tiers bellow. I want to feel the excitment of tring to out manuver the enemy, use some skill and tactics. If you don't you might as well throw in some tier I and II in the mix, why not? They have as much of a shot against a KV-3 and 5 as I do.
This is EXACTLY why I havent spent my money on this game yet.  To many problems with the Matching system.

I think the biggest problem is you will see al lthe complaints, then people say "Read this, Read that and learn the game" Then the developers dont see anything else from that poster.  I think they are assuming the poster figured it out and stopped "complaining", but check their last post... its usually around where they complained.

Bascially, people are just giving up on the game and uninstalling.

wilt57 #19 Posted May 23 2012 - 17:34

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24149 battles
  • [ARS3] ARS3

Last time I played WoW, I had to BUY the game, I had to BUY the expansions, and I had to BUY a subscription.  Now, maybe that has changed because I haven't played in a long time, but WoW wasn't free.  Technically, WoT CAN be free.  If you want to use WoW as an example as how WG can make WoT successful, then you'd have to be in favor of buying the game client, buying every expansion, and essentially buying a premium account just to play.  How many people would quit then?  There already is a large population who take pride in their neglect to help support the finances of WoT.  What are those gonna do if paying was required?  Pony up the cash?  Doubt it!  The large number of Welfare Warriors would be up a creek with no paddle.  Then who'd they have to blame?  They can't blame the Wallet Warriors, their favorite target, because every player would be a "Wallet Warrior."

wilt57

wilt57 #20 Posted May 23 2012 - 17:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 24149 battles
  • [ARS3] ARS3

View PostMachetePanda, on May 23 2012 - 16:10, said:

This is EXACTLY why I havent spent my money on this game yet.  To many problems with the Matching system.

Maybe by spending some money on the game, WG would be better able to fix the MM issues you speak of.  If you're not willing to help them, why should they be willing to help you?  When was the last time your occupation required you to work for free?

And it is not a general consensus that the MM is FUBAR.  If you spend too much time around the forums, you may tend to get that impression, as the only reason the typical person posts on the forum is to discuss a perceived problem.  On a team of 15 players, maybe one player every two games or so makes a comment in chat about the poor MM.  Chances are this player is not very good.

I find it hard to believe that people cannot realize that for every time someone has a bad MM, someone else has a good MM.  They are in direct relation.  The entire WoT's community cannot experience a higher average of poor MM than good MM.  It is not possible.  Part of this perception is that people view a game where they are top tank as a "fair" or "average" position, not noting that there is a couple players who are cannon fodder to you.  It's all perception.

I am not arguing that the MM needs no fixing or adjusting.  I am pointing out that it is not as unfair and FUBAR as people tend to believe.

wilt57