KV-3 good and bad?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

Poll: KV-3 good and bad? (50 members have cast votes)

Kv-3 weapon buff?

1. yes (21 votes [40.38%])

Percentage of vote: 40.38%

2. no (31 votes [59.62%])

Percentage of vote: 59.62%

Vote Hide poll

Okeano #21 Posted May 26 2012 - 09:24

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23441 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
I don't see how you guys can stand this tank. It's literally got no armor for how slow it is.

View PostOkeano, on May 19 2012 - 20:14, said:

It's not really the gun but the whole package. The gun is fine, when it's on a mobile platform like KV-1S or IS. It's just straight out cruel on KV-3. That gun is basically useless outside of 200 meters. Sure you'll get a nice lucky shot in once in a while but you'll miss more often than not at such range. IS can get up close to someone, shoot them in the face and back off. KV-3 have to crawl there.

For all the mobility KV-3 gives up, it's not even that much more protected compare to IS. 75L70 goes through the front most of the time and the 76mm of US gun does about half of the time. 107mm eats it for breakfast so not to mention all the 175mm pen guns. It's got the armor of a Tiger without any of Tiger's benefits.

If you look at a similar tank, Tiger P (hell KV-3 catches on fire often enough to be consider German), Tiger P has more HP, WAY more armor and actually enough to matter, WAY better gun and similar mobility. So what does KV-3 bring to the table here?

Before this, tier 7 was fairly balanced with different style and role for each tank. IS has the mobility. T29 had the gun depression, turret and good gun. Tiger had the accuracy and mobility between IS and T29. Tiger P had actual armor. If you take the worst of each tier 7 and put on a tank, you get KV3. Inaccurate gun of IS, low mobility of T29 and Tiger P, and hull armor of Tiger/T29.

Duty_Remains #22 Posted May 26 2012 - 09:57

Captain

• Players
  • 16151 battles
D-25T is supposed to be the World of Tanks equivalent of a shot gun, only effective at point blank range but devastating at that range.  I don't think it needs any adjustment.

A word of advice to any players struggling with the gun... if your gunner is less than 95% trained, stick to the D-10T.  You really need a fully trained gunner to make the 122mm worthwhile.  I found that out the hard way when I re-purchased my IS and started training a new crew from 75%.

Shivus #23 Posted May 26 2012 - 11:03

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7070 battles
  • [MOTU] MOTU

View PostKnightFandragon, on May 26 2012 - 08:39, said:

Yeah, so far from waht Ive seen of the KV3, it is a absolute joke of a tank now....that D25, d-2-5-t, both are absolutely terrible guns.  Had a pair of KV3s duoing my T34 during a test battle and they both got brutally hosed...between the 2 of them they got my down about 50%, I bounced a fair bit more and then they hit my tracks with several more shots while my T53A1 didnt bounce a single shot.....KV3s suddenly are not in the least bit scary.

Those were bad KV-3 drivers then, or just incredibly unlucky.  Two working together are easily capable of killing a T34.

Blitzilla #24 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29243 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

View PostKnightFandragon, on May 26 2012 - 08:39, said:

Yeah, so far from waht Ive seen of the KV3, it is a absolute joke of a tank now....that D25, d-2-5-t, both are absolutely terrible guns.  Had a pair of KV3s duoing my T34 during a test battle and they both got brutally hosed...between the 2 of them they got my down about 50%, I bounced a fair bit more and then they hit my tracks with several more shots while my T53A1 didnt bounce a single shot.....KV3s suddenly are not in the least bit scary.

Maybe they were shooting your turret. I've had no problem penetrating the hulls of US heavies, except the T110 which has a stronger hull armor than turret armor (becoming kind of a trap for those who don't read the wiki at least).
Personally I never engage an American heavy when it's in hull-down. But if I absolutely had to, I switch to HE.
and KV-3 armor is too flat to have any effect without proper angling. I bounce tier 9 heavies, ferdis, and most mediums often, and with extreme angling some tier 10 shots will also bounce.

motaz87 #25 Posted May 26 2012 - 19:13

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9195 battles
  • [NET] NET
i love this tank so much more as a tier 7 than the slow dog it was as a tier 6. i feel i can get to places now, and take a tactical position where as before i just rolled slowly into battle taking shots before i could find cover. like almost all russian cannons the d-25-t just takes skill and practice to use at its fullest. i love platooning with my friends t-29. we casue major pain in dumb pub matches.

Okeano #26 Posted May 26 2012 - 20:28

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23441 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
Soo... people that like this tank do you guys want to address the points I brought up?

Blitzilla #27 Posted May 26 2012 - 21:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29243 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

View PostOkeano, on May 26 2012 - 20:28, said:

Soo... people that like this tank do you guys want to address the points I brought up?

I'd love to read your point but frankly the GiF in your sig keeps beating on the already-dead child inside me :Smile-hiding:

Shivus #28 Posted May 26 2012 - 22:18

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7070 battles
  • [MOTU] MOTU

View PostOkeano, on May 26 2012 - 20:28, said:

As speed goes, the Tier 7 KV-3 is as fast as the IS, it just doesn't turn as well.

Also prior to 7.3 the KV-3 could stand toe to toe with a T29 and come out on top with proper angling,  the armor is just oddly bouncy with proper angling and the 105 is oddly bounced at times, yet against higher tanks it was at a significant disadvantage because of its tier 6 HP value.  Now at tier 7 with 1300 HP it can actually last against higher tier tanks.  Also as armor goes, it's on par with the other tier 7's as in the whole metric of balance still works.  The Tiger has no armor, the Tiger P has armor on paper, but most anyone can penetrate it because they know where to hit it.  The T29 has to hull down to have an advantage, but even a good marksman can put rounds through the side of the turret, or can just move elsewhere and flank it, when forced to hull down to survive what the T29 gains in defense it loses in mobility.  On top of that the KV-3's turret is still quite robust due to its shape, and the large tracks lead to a high rate of 0 damage track hits if you mentally anticipate shots and turn a little at the last second.

You'd certainly have a point if the KV-3 would only face tier 8's when it was tier 6, but even at tier 6 it got thrust into tier 10 battles regularly.  With the increase to tier 7 it's a better tank than it was, it just loses its blatant OPness in tier 6 battles which was its only real saving grace as a tier 6.

KnightFandragon #29 Posted May 27 2012 - 00:08

Major

• Players
  • 4603 battles

View PostBlitzilla, on May 26 2012 - 17:25, said:

Maybe they were shooting your turret. I've had no problem penetrating the hulls of US heavies, except the T110 which has a stronger hull armor than turret armor (becoming kind of a trap for those who don't read the wiki at least).
Personally I never engage an American heavy when it's in hull-down. But if I absolutely had to, I switch to HE.
and KV-3 armor is too flat to have any effect without proper angling. I bounce tier 9 heavies, ferdis, and most mediums often, and with extreme angling some tier 10 shots will also bounce.

No lol, they werent hitting my turret...Its that I now, dont stop wiggling my hull...I keep it moving and did keep it moving always, they were hitting my tracks and what not...it was surprising...I didnt think it would work so effectively.

Okeano #30 Posted May 27 2012 - 00:13

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 23441 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA
Ofc each of the other tier 7 have their weakness, but they also have many advantages over KV3, especially in the weapon department. KV 3 simply wasn't given any compensation for its disadvantage of gun. If I'm stuck with a weak pen shotgun, I want it on a mobile tank instead of a slow one.

ProxyHunter #31 Posted May 27 2012 - 05:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 4120 battles
Should I sell my KV3? I'm not going the IS-4 line and I need money to buy the IS-3

togo281 #32 Posted May 30 2012 - 14:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15997 battles
You know a gun is bad when you bounce 122M shells off French light tanks, something is just not righ!! :Smile_confused:

Blitzilla #33 Posted May 30 2012 - 19:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 29243 battles
  • [ZEUS] ZEUS

View Posttogo281, on May 30 2012 - 14:56, said:

You know a gun is bad when you bounce 122M shells off French light tanks, something is just not righ!! :Smile_confused:

that's not a measure, an AMX 50 100 bounced the turret of my 12t twice in a row at 30 meters, you might have hit an awkwardly angled surface or just had one of those wtf random bounces

Mindlink #34 Posted May 31 2012 - 01:26

Corporal

• Players
  • 4218 battles
I took a less than inspired path in WoT and have more or less been focusing on Russian Heavies. From my perspective, the KV-3 is a monster, and really needed the tier bump to VII. The fact some people miss is that like american, french, and german heavies, there's a particular way to play them that makes them more effective.

The KV-3 in WoT is not made for head on engagements in high tier matches. The 175mm of pen the 122mm gives you makes that fairly obvious. So what's a heavy to do if it can't face-hug other heavies? For starters, 175mm of penetration is more than adequate enough to blast a hole straight through the side armor, rear armor, or turret side of most of the tier 8-9 tanks. Studying your target for a moment to ensure you're not shooting at sloped or angled armor is a skill you should already have, and the aim time of the D25T will give you plenty of time to think. Let the battle lines be drawn by the higher tier bruisers, and find a squishy spot on something. Putting yourself in a situation where you will meet heavies head on or a wolfpack of mediums happens, but the chances of that happening will be low if you have some experience.

Another scenario the KV-3 excels at is peekaboo. With a building as your armor, the exposed armor angled, and the D25T's high alpha, no wonder it works so well. It's easy to compensate for reload time when you just have to back up. The mass of the KV-3 and torque of the tier IX engine makes the vehicle rock when accelerating, which can be used to great effect when you have to engage head on. I won a one-on-one with an AMX 50 100 by bouncing shells that way. I've also held back a pack of 3 Tiger Ps in Ensk. (True stories, and the Tiger P is only good on paper in my experience fighting it.) :Smile_glasses: The KV-3 also has a nice large gun mantlet, which discourages people from hitting your turret and makes them shoot at your rather absorbent tracks.

The bad part of this tank in my experience is when you're stuck out in the open. You're a sitting duck and it's likely you'll be tracked and killed by something with decent accuracy or arty. Versus mediums or lower tier tanks, the KV-3 becomes a playground bully, and it's up to the arty to end your reign of terror. :arta:  My rule of thumb is to always be close to cover. Cover and patience will make up for a lot of what the KV-3 might lack and make the enemy engage you on your terms.

TL;DR: The KV-3 is a monster in the right hands. YMMV, but it is certainly not "bad".

Killertomato #35 Posted May 31 2012 - 01:31

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 4500 battles
The gun's really, really nice on the IS and the KV-3 (it sure seems like it doesn't random-bounce like the T29's 105), but it's a bit eh for tier 8.

amaROenuZ #36 Posted May 31 2012 - 01:46

Major

• Players
  • 14522 battles
The 122mm is frustrating at times because it's very vulnerable to bouncing, but it's not the worst. I do think that the KV-3 should have the option of using a higher pen, lower damage gun though.

daffy678 #37 Posted May 31 2012 - 03:59

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5706 battles
KV-3 is currently my highest tier heavy, i echo others in that it smashes lower tiers and can cope in higher tiers if played correctly.
I took on WoT beacuse it actually requires a bit of thinking to play well, not just a stupid run 'n gun fps.

jt380 #38 Posted May 31 2012 - 14:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 34220 battles
Voted yes. Love this tank, why not make it even better? Honestly doesn't need it though imo

sharlin648 #39 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 12:54

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 12332 battles
  • [KGS] KGS
In one battle I glued my KV-3 to a T34 and we found ourselves facing a Ferdi and T34 as well as a KV5 that was under fire from my team.  We was on that map with the swampy ground in the middle with the road running down it and the huge cliff on the west side and the path running behind that.  I twatted an A-20 as it tried to get past and annihilated him and then joined the T34 trading shots with the Ferdi and other T34 and between us we took them down, all of us were pekabooming but after a pair of bounces on the Ferdi I switched to HE and started walloping him in the face with that.

When he went down I went back to AP, mainly because I was almost out of HE rounds and started lobbing them at the T34 and ended out aiming for his cupola and MG port when I could see it.  Both me and my friendly T34 were battered but most of the time I was baring only my turret to the hostile T34 and the rounds he hit me with bounced off for the most part.  I suffered the most damage from the Ferdi but I still bounced a few off my turret.

We eventually killed the T34, I tracked him and my T34 flanked him and killed him, we lumbered on to victory.

The KV-3 is a good tank, you just need to know how to handle her.