Jump to content


Global Rating


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

Sonos #1 Posted May 26 2012 - 16:57

    Captain

  • Players
  • 3603 battles
  • 1,476
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011
Anyone know how this is calculated?  I went from 51 > 52% w/l last night and it went down.  As in the wrong direction.  I thought that was odd.

JohnGaltCobraCommander #2 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:00

    Major

  • Players
  • 16559 battles
  • 5,563
  • Member since:
    08-26-2011
It basically measures your worth as a person to society. Bad ratings mean you are a bad person. There are no other explanations.

Edited by JohnGaltCobraCommander, May 26 2012 - 17:00.


Balsafer #3 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:11

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 20958 battles
  • 452
  • [JENNA] JENNA
  • Member since:
    02-27-2011
Id like to know this aswell

cccino #4 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:15

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4314 battles
  • 178
  • Member since:
    03-31-2012
I don't think it's a calculation, just a list. So more people went from 52% to 53% than went from 51% to 52%, hence you fell down the list. It doesn't seem to take any decimal places into account which is why it happens like that.

I'd ignore all global ranking stats if I were you.

CommissarKharkov #5 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:22

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 40702 battles
  • 694
  • Member since:
    03-12-2012
I don't know the exact answer, but have noticed it goes up much faster when running heavy tanks.  While I was grinding the KVs (KV-1, KV-2, T-150) constantly for a few days it went up fast.  Then I took a few days off the grind and played Tiers 2-3.  It barely moved, despite a better win rate over the same number of games.  I suspect damage dealt is a major component in the equation.

Sonos #6 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:25

    Captain

  • Players
  • 3603 battles
  • 1,476
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View Postcccino, on May 26 2012 - 17:15, said:

I don't think it's a calculation, just a list. So more people went from 52% to 53% than went from 51% to 52%, hence you fell down the list. It doesn't seem to take any decimal places into account which is why it happens like that.

I'd ignore all global ranking stats if I were you.

I thought that might be the case but I went on such a tear last night (I'd guess I was winning at least 80% of my 20+ games) that it seems hard I'd fall.  I assume 80% is well above average.  Maybe I'm off.  There is a number there in my case it is 21.  I'd like to know what this means really.

It would probably be best to ignore these types of stats but alas!  I am a statwhore and its one of the things I like about this game.  Lots of numbers to find and crunch and analyze and fret over.

ed_anger #7 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:25

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 13675 battles
  • 7,498
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    07-01-2010
Global ranking is largely based on cumulative stats, like total number of games played, total number of tanks killed etc. Your win rate can go up but your ranking down if you have been playing fewer games in relation to others. The global ranking is pretty meaningless IMHO, I personally try to focus on win rate and damage per match.

Lol, good joke John.

Yoott #8 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:31

    Associate eSports Manager

  • Administrator
  • 20581 battles
  • 6,932
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A
  • Member since:
    09-21-2011

View PostJohnGaltCobraCommander, on May 26 2012 - 17:00, said:

It basically measures your worth as a person to society. Bad ratings mean you are a bad person. There are no other explanations.

LOL

cccino #9 Posted May 26 2012 - 17:37

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4314 battles
  • 178
  • Member since:
    03-31-2012

View PostSonos, on May 26 2012 - 17:25, said:

I thought that might be the case but I went on such a tear last night (I'd guess I was winning at least 80% of my 20+ games) that it seems hard I'd fall.  I assume 80% is well above average.  Maybe I'm off.  There is a number there in my case it is 21.  I'd like to know what this means really.

It would probably be best to ignore these types of stats but alas!  I am a statwhore and its one of the things I like about this game.  Lots of numbers to find and crunch and analyze and fret over.
From the way it behaves I'm pretty sure it ignores your precise winrate and treats you as equal to everyone with the same rounded whole number. So it's not a fair reflection.

Gatomon #10 Posted May 27 2012 - 03:24

    Captain

  • Players
  • 17418 battles
  • 1,334
  • Member since:
    10-07-2011
Your ratings are how you fare compared to everyone. Your win rate is pretty obvious and as time goes on and you play lots more and higher tanks it tends to drop into the mid 40's Anything higher is good. In some cases people tend to focus on your stats way more than needed. They do tell you things but it cannot tell about having lots of bad matches. the more you work with others the better your win rates. The more damage you do also helps. The higher your accuracy the better you are also.

Sonos #11 Posted May 27 2012 - 05:14

    Captain

  • Players
  • 3603 battles
  • 1,476
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostGatomon, on May 27 2012 - 03:24, said:

Your ratings are how you fare compared to everyone. Your win rate is pretty obvious and as time goes on and you play lots more and higher tanks it tends to drop into the mid 40's Anything higher is good. In some cases people tend to focus on your stats way more than needed. They do tell you things but it cannot tell about having lots of bad matches. the more you work with others the better your win rates. The more damage you do also helps. The higher your accuracy the better you are also.

My win% is dismal with lower tiers and each time I move up it improves.  The only reason I'm stuck @52 atm is because I cant focus on one nationality.  I would think it would only be stuck in the mid 40s if you are 1) below average or 2) working on your stock equips.  But I assume like everything else it will rise above that if you are an above average player.

My SU-85 is my best tank so far I started around 38% got to some 2nd tier gun/equip got it to 50 and now and rolling at 59% once I got the 107 a few night ago.

Just an antedoct I'll tell you how it goes once I get up to your levels.  :Smile-hiding:

Potoroo #12 Posted May 29 2012 - 11:22

    Major

  • Players
  • 16592 battles
  • 3,438
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011
Global Rating is a calculation that gives far too much weight to battles played to be a useful guide to your abilities. My GR used to be in the top 200 on the NA server until I took a six week break over Christmas but I would never claim to be among the top 200 players.

Stat whores should search among the many, many threads on player stats for discussions on which stats or combination of stats may or may not be meaningful, but GR in and of itself is all but useless.

diego999 #13 Posted May 29 2012 - 22:17

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 17727 battles
  • 3,103
  • [ACA] ACA
  • Member since:
    11-22-2010
As others have stated, Global Rating is about how much you play, not how well you do it.

Win ratio + efficiency are more representative of "success" (if you wanna call it that), but they aren't perfect either.

IotaOmicron #14 Posted May 29 2012 - 23:14

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 6708 battles
  • 729
  • [23RDB] 23RDB
  • Member since:
    01-30-2011

View Posted_anger, on May 26 2012 - 17:25, said:

Global ranking is largely based on cumulative stats, like total number of games played, total number of tanks killed etc. Your win rate can go up but your ranking down if you have been playing fewer games in relation to others. The global ranking is pretty meaningless IMHO, I personally try to focus on win rate and damage per match.

Lol, good joke John.
good thing to focus on is hit ratio...that measures a persons true skill level not their teams abilities....

Tolos #15 Posted May 29 2012 - 23:19

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 22565 battles
  • 10,498
  • [RELIC] RELIC
  • Member since:
    09-22-2010

View PostIotaOmicron, on May 29 2012 - 23:14, said:

good thing to focus on is hit ratio...that measures a persons true skill level not their teams abilities....

Really ???

What if they have a bad PC ??
What if they have bad lag ??

They could be the best player in the history of WoT but with either of the above issues then there hit ratio would be low

Try thinking more long the lines of average xp and damage per battle rather then hit ratio

Sonos #16 Posted May 29 2012 - 23:41

    Captain

  • Players
  • 3603 battles
  • 1,476
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostTolos, on May 29 2012 - 23:19, said:

Really ???

What if they have a bad PC ??
What if they have bad lag ??

They could be the best player in the history of WoT but with either of the above issues then there hit ratio would be low

Try thinking more long the lines of average xp and damage per battle rather then hit ratio

semantics.
if they have a crummy connection then they are never to be taken seriously anyway.

Zakume #17 Posted May 30 2012 - 00:53

    Major

  • WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 25409 battles
  • 3,027
  • [RELIC] RELIC
  • Member since:
    09-19-2010
It's heavily weighted for avg xp and win rate. For instance someone with 800 avg xp and 58% win rate with only 2000 games played will be MUCH higher ranked than someone with say 400 avg xp 51% win rate and 12000 games played. Premium is included so a premium player will have higher global than a non-premium player all other things being equal.

Edited by Zakume, May 30 2012 - 00:54.


Tolos #18 Posted May 30 2012 - 02:25

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 22565 battles
  • 10,498
  • [RELIC] RELIC
  • Member since:
    09-22-2010

View PostSonos, on May 29 2012 - 23:41, said:

semantics.
if they have a crummy connection then they are never to be taken seriously anyway.

In no way is this semantics, you're using something that can be MASSIVELY effected by lag and bad fps. Also what about people that use arty ??? what about people that blind fire ??? what about people that play lower tiers ??

I have a ping of about 150 most days, so am I not to be taken seriously ??, until not long ago I was averaging 14 fps, does that mean I should not be taken seriously ??

Sorry but its people with less then 1000 games trying to tell others how to play the game that aren't taken seriously

Average Xp and Average damage per battle is a MUCH better indicator of how good a player is.

SumiXam #19 Posted May 30 2012 - 22:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 7658 battles
  • 4,842
  • Member since:
    09-28-2011

View PostIotaOmicron, on May 29 2012 - 23:14, said:

good thing to focus on is hit ratio...that measures a persons true skill level not their teams abilities....

Hit ratio isn't very telling unless you know the 'why' behind the number. Many players will blind shot e.g. tracers, right after a tank 'disappears', etc. with much success, but more misses compared to 'sure' shots. Someone with a high hit ratio could simply be awarding enemy players with Steel Wall achievements because they are doing little to no damage. Damage trumps hit ratio IMO.

Also, as was stated above, players who play artillery and/or low tiers will have poorer overall hit ratios.

Sonos #20 Posted May 30 2012 - 23:43

    Captain

  • Players
  • 3603 battles
  • 1,476
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostTolos, on May 30 2012 - 02:25, said:

In no way is this semantics, you're using something that can be MASSIVELY effected by lag and bad fps. Also what about people that use arty ??? what about people that blind fire ??? what about people that play lower tiers ??

I have a ping of about 150 most days, so am I not to be taken seriously ??, until not long ago I was averaging 14 fps, does that mean I should not be taken seriously ??

Sorry but its people with less then 1000 games trying to tell others how to play the game that aren't taken seriously

Average Xp and Average damage per battle is a MUCH better indicator of how good a player is.

imho most people are not going to see the competitive side of a game if their connection cant keep up.  are there exceptions?  of course.