Tank Face-Off; Best Tanks By Tier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

Thenoob1234 #1 Posted May 30 2012 - 09:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Recently, I've been thinking about the best tanks in their own tiers. I decided to make a short post about what, in my opinion, are the best tanks by tier.

Tier 1: MS1 – This tank is very versatile at such a low tier. It has exceptional armor, considerable firepower, while coupled with decent amount of speed make it fun and easy to play at tier one.

Tier 2: M2 Light TankThe M2LT has very good speed and maneuverability, while having good cannons and thicker armor than most other non-French tier II lights. It is very powerful in it’s tier, with good penetration and a well sloped and sturdy frontal glacis plate.

Tier 3: Two tier 3's made it into the top best tanks.

The M2 Medium – The M2 Medium tank is a great tank for it’s tier. With sturdy and sloped armor, good speed, and the capability of mounting the fearsome 75mm howitzer, the M2 truly stands out in the tier 3 crowd. However, it just barely better than the T46, as the T46 also boasts good guns and good mobility. However, the T46 lacks in hull armor, and as such, it cannot be voted the best Tier 3 tank.

Pzkpfw II Luchs - The Luchs is a very powerful scout tank. It functions like the Pzkpfw II on steroids. With better and thicker armor, better armaments, and very good speed, it is the ultimate light tank for it's tier. It is very versatile, functioning well in a variety of situations. However, it works best in wide, open maps, where it can utilize it's agility to it's advantage.

Tier 4: PzKpfw III - all around the most versatile tank in the tier, both the leopard and a20 deserve mention as excellent scouts, but their tendency to get stuck in much higher tier games reduces their overall rating a bit. Tier 4 also sees the much maligned Hetzer - which really deserves credit as a very solidly armored tier 4 carrying the biggest gun in it's tier and more than capable of hitting well above its class

Tier 5: A tie between the T1 Heavy and the PzKpfw IV has made me decide to post both the T1 and the PzIV.
T1 Heavy – This tank preforms well and has really shown since the split of the KV into the KV-1 and KV-2 tanks. It’s guns have a very high rate of fire while having great penetration values, and can be adapted easily for any situation. It has a workable level of speed and maneuverability, capable of getting it where it’s needed, when it’s needed. It’s armor is nothing special, but it’s thick enough to withstand lower tier guns. It narrowly scrapes past the KV-1 tank, but surpasses it because of it’s superior firepower and agility.
The PzKpfw IV is most likely the most versatile tank for it’s tier.  It sports good front armor and can mount powerful cannons when the turret is upgraded. It also boasts good maneuverability and speed, making it function as a great medium, flanking and ambushing heavier tanks. While it doesn’t have the armor and hitpoints to fight a tier 5 heavy head on, it can quickly speed around to the sides or back and deliver a withering series of blows that will quickly drain the enemy’s health.
The KV-1 deserves an honorable mention, as it has the best all-around armor for it’s tier and has a very sturdy turret upgrade. However, because of it’s sludge slow speed and rather underpowered choice of guns (excluding the 122mm U-11), it can’t  stand as the best tier 5 tank.

Tier 6: M4A3E8 – The “Easy Eight” really shines in tier 6. It is capable of  pounding away at the flanks of heavier tanks with it’s M1A2 cannon, and defines the meaning of a true medium; a workable amount of armor,  good guns, and great speed. Although it can’t mount the fearsome 85mm guns it’s USSR cousin, the T34-85, does, it can outshoot a T34-85 simply because of it’s superb Rate Of Fire.

Tier 7 : T29 – Generally, nothing in tier 7 can even compete with this yankee super tank. Armed with the 105mm gun, it has very good penetration while delivering huge packets of alpha damage, with 320 damage apiece. It’s turret is extremely well armored, and in hull-down, it’s literally impossible to destroy. It’s hull armor is average for it’s tier, and can deflect lower tier shots.

Tier 8: King Tiger – Germany’s legendary super tank of WWII, the King Tiger rules supreme in tier 8. With it’s powerful selection of 8,8cm and 10,5cm guns, it can be a threat to any tank in the game. It works as a sturdy sniper, durable enough to survive a brawling fight yet accurate enough to pick off at the enemy from afar.

Tier 9 : Two tanks rule supreme in tier 9;
E75 - A great and extremely adaptable tank, the E75 is great for a variety of uses. It's strong enough to brawl with heavier tanks, yet accurate enough to snipe from afar. Like most German tanks, it has great guns and thick frontal armor, but thinner rear and side armor. It has few obvious weakspots, and it is a great tank to play that fits and works well in a variety of situations.
ST-I - This tank is literally unknown of, and few players have used it. However, it is a very strong tank. Although it's armor is less than it's German and American counterparts, it is still strong enough to bounce or absorb a few shots. It has a decent level of mobility and has good speed. It's true strength is it's cannons. Having even more penetration than the E75 and boasting a higher alpha damage rate, it can slice clean through tier 9's and most tier 10's. Generally, the ST-I excels in close range combat, where it can use cover to hide behind when reloading. However, it also functions well on sniper maps, in which it can engage the enemy from afar.

Tier 10: T110E5 – This space-age tank is very well armored on the front of the hull, and very strong on the turret. It has speed and agility comparable to the IS-7 and AMX50B, and it has the deadly 120mm M58 cannon, arguably the best gun available to any heavy tank in the game. It’s only true weakness is the paper thin side and rear armor. However, if you can hide it’s sides and back, it is truly a amazing force to behold.

Ziggy_lol #2 Posted May 30 2012 - 09:22

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Lol no french, french are good in the right conditions

wafflechampion #3 Posted May 30 2012 - 09:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I disagree with the tier 9 selection

Fruity_Ninja #4 Posted May 30 2012 - 10:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Interesting read :)  There are some tanks on there that I haven't used that I really want to use, so kudo's for the information!

From my experience I have formed opinions of other tanks that I think are at least competitive in certain tiers.  Out of curiosity, what would your thoughts be on the below tanks as potential contenders:

Tier 3-  Luchs (had a lot of fun and success, plus MM wasn't too bad for it)
Tier 5- Sherman
Tier 6- VK3601 (one of my personal favourites), KV-2, or AMX 13 75
Tier 7- KV3 seems pretty powerful (although I sold mine quickly).  Others seem to rate the Tiger P highly, although I have yet to use it.
Tier 8- IS3 (can give the KT a run for its money- BL9 FTW!)
Tier 9-  E75 (I struggled in this tank at the start, but I have really lifted in it after upgrading.  Always on the way up in it, and a real bully in this tier)
Tier 10- IS7 (never used it, but from experience in dealing with them)

Also- what about TD's?  I have been using these a bit lately and am learning them.  But my brother uses them all the time, and some of the games he has in them are amazing.  Certainly Object, ISU, T95 etc could take their place amongst the best?

Good read :)

Fruity_Ninja #5 Posted May 30 2012 - 10:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostZiggy_lol, on May 30 2012 - 09:22, said:

Lol no french, french are good in the right conditions

Yes on that....I've seen some terrifying Bat Chat and Lorraine players before.  And I've never used their heavies, but I have seen some nasty 50 100 and 50 120 players too...

The Hotchkiss, isn't that a really powerful tank too?

Allurai #6 Posted May 30 2012 - 12:25

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 0 battles
T6 should be VK 3601 (H); nothing else compares. Most people will disagree with the T9 selection, I know I do. I don't disagree too strongly on the other choices.

amaROenuZ #7 Posted May 30 2012 - 14:25

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I think you should reconsider the Tier 2 best tank. An H35 is essentially unstoppable when in a T1-T2 battle and still horrifying in a T2-T3 battle. The Minimaus lives. I also believe In T6, you should examine the T-34-85. The E8 is a great tank, for sure, but you have to consider the matchmaking. While the M1A2 deals impressive damage, its penetration can be lacking against even the flanks of some of the upper tier tanks that the E8 and T-34-85 can face. In comparison, the 85 has the option between two impressive guns, the 100mm and the 85mm, which give it similar damage over time, but greater penetration and flexibility.

Thenoob1234 #8 Posted May 30 2012 - 14:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Notice that I specifically said that I wouldn't add any French tanks into this topic.

Tolos #9 Posted May 30 2012 - 14:46

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostThenoob1234, on May 30 2012 - 14:43, said:

Notice that I specifically said that I wouldn't add any French tanks into this topic.

They are in game, so why wouldn't you add them, you cant give a fair and accurate assessment of all the tiers without at least considering the french tanks

Heh #10 Posted Jun 02 2012 - 16:54

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Tier 1: MS-1. Cute, and wields the 45mm. That is all.

Tier 2: Tetrarch. It has ridiculous TD-like pen for its tier along with high speed. Makes Hotchkisses look like sissies.

Tier 3: Marder II. Most OP TD for its tier BAR NONE.

Tier 4: I'd say the Hetzer for a good mix of high armor and great firepower. Close call from the T-28 and its super gun.

Tier 5: Sherman. Seriously, it has great damage and good mobility. A very versatile tank really. But later, it's gonna be the S35 bathtub because Marder traverse limits and SU-85 gun along with a shockingly OP gold round spammer WHEN STOCK, making you pen like an IS-7. >.>

Tier 6: KV-1S. Honestly, the speed and damage make it an incredible force to be reckoned with. Close call from the KV-2 and its anti-Maus gun. :3

Tier 7: T29. While the hull can be penned easily, the turret is impenetrable OP at its finest. Until you hot the tiny hatch that is. >.>

Tier 8: IS-3. The BL-9 and turret armor combined with the high speed and mobility makes a monster. Can also be annoying to E-75s when done right and hulldown.

Tier 9: IS-8. What happens when an IS-3 and a T-54 make love together. Gun pen is ridiculous too.

Tier 10: IS-7. No insanely obvious weakspots to hit, plus the turret is 100% impenetrable frontally.

mechsftw #11 Posted Jun 05 2012 - 04:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
T7 contender could be the 13 90... no other T7 can solo a ferdi in less than 20 seconds. not including arty. Plus the 13 90 makes a great scout, passive or late-game rusher

ReLaTiviT #12 Posted Jun 05 2012 - 07:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
How is the KV-1 worse than the T1? The KV-1's gun is not any worse than the T1's (better accuracy, damage for worse penetration, ROF) while sporting roughly the same overall armor but a HUGELY smaller siloette.\
The KV-1's large damage but slower ROF also means the Gun Rammer's 10% reload time bonus is more impactful on its DPM than on the T1's DPM.

del1001295635 #13 Posted Jun 08 2012 - 03:48

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
The new tier 4-6 American TDs are better tanks than the tanks themselves.  Neither the lack of armor, nor the lack of turret speed are major disadvantages at that tier, if you play carefully.  The combination of speed and armor, on the other hand, are deadly.

For the rest..

Tier 1: MS-1
Tier 2: Pz 35 (t)
Tier 3: PZ 38 (t)
Tier 7: Tiger (H)
Tier 8: Lorraine
Tier 9: AMX 50 120
Tier 10: AMX 50B

Edited by Silty, Jun 08 2012 - 03:49.

Braskey #14 Posted Jun 08 2012 - 06:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Looks like a lot of tanks are up for opinion, but I honestly don't see how anyone even joking can say the tier 7 spot belongs to anything but the T29.

chris_i_lam #15 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 16:58

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Su85!!!!! And t82!!!!

del1001295635 #16 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 17:33

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostBraskey, on Jun 08 2012 - 06:07, said:

Looks like a lot of tanks are up for opinion, but I honestly don't see how anyone even joking can say the tier 7 spot belongs to anything but the T29.
It's sluggish, which makes its armor layout awkward to use.  It's decent but I find it really awkward to play.  At least the gun is nice.  Personal preference..

From a short distance they are easily flanked and penetrated, and from a long distance they are no scarier than a TD.

Edited by Silty, Jun 17 2012 - 17:34.

Captain_Howdy #17 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 19:24

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostamaROenuZ, on May 30 2012 - 14:25, said:

I think you should reconsider the Tier 2 best tank. An H35 is essentially unstoppable when in a T1-T2 battle and still horrifying in a T2-T3 battle. The Minimaus lives.

I would have to second this one. The other day someone platooned one into a game with Tier 6/7. Was in my 3601H (best T6 IMO) with the long 75 laughing manically as my reticle shrunk in. Fired a shot right in his chops from 125m which promptly BOUNCED.

aPyro_ #18 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 20:54

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
SU-85 is king of tier 5 cuz it has le 107.

and lol, tiger II as best tier 8. IS-3 dominates that tank

Pantherzzz #19 Posted Jul 27 2012 - 22:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Why so many people disagreeing with tier 9? So far I've had no problems going against other tier 9's with this beast on the EU server.

Krytan_Almighty #20 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 05:00

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I enjoy your choices they seems well thought out. However as a vivid TD supporter the lack on the list is sad, that being said though: I do feel heavy tanks are more well rounded and are more suitable to a variety of roles.