Why am I losing so much? (GW Panther)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

blaneblane #1 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 00:45

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'll let my stats speak for themselves
GW Panther
Battles: 101
Wins: 41 (41%)
Loses: 58 (57%)
Draws: 2 (2%)
Battles survived: 33 (33%)
Destroyed: 92 (.91 kills per battle)
Hit ratio: 46%
Damage: 150,065 (1486 per battle)

Hummel
Battles: 247

Wins: 135 (55%)
Loses: 106 (43%)
Draws: 6 (2%)
Battles survived: 100 (40%)
Destroyed: 364 (1.47 kills per battle)
Hit ratio: 43%
Damage: 328,571 (1330 per battle)

What's the deal? Why am I losing in this "oh-so-amazing" arty? I find myself often pinging tier 10 tanks for ~300 damage at a time, which makes me feel almost useless. Overall I have a 53% win rate across the board and feel that I have a solid understanding of how this game works. But I cannot win in this tank. Help please!

ForcestormX #2 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 00:48

Major

• Wiki Staff
  • 0 battles
Solo queue.

Arty success is dependent on teammates.

Get bad ones, you're going to lose.

Solo queue usually ends up that way anymore.

cedarsherrif #3 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 07:48

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am no expert with arty as my Hummel frustrates the hell out of me at times. Could it just be as simple as you are being thrown into higher tier battles?

unladylike #4 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 07:52

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
god i wish I had your stats. I feel I a'm just something for all the higher tier vehicles to destroy. I hit a V 7 times in the rear end no damage

blaneblane #5 Posted Jun 01 2012 - 22:34

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
So basically it's just solo que/bad luck? I really want to bump my win % to at least 50...

Cuth #6 Posted Jun 02 2012 - 22:25

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
At a glance I'd say it's your target selection, but I haven't seen you play, so that's just a guess..

movado31 #7 Posted Jun 02 2012 - 22:44

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Your stats are right on the money as being a good arty player.  Hit ratio above 40% is good.  Your dmg per game so far is in the ball park for good gw panther drivers. Only weak stat u have are vehicles destroyed..its not aweful but really should be at minimum of 1 per game and even higher.  Dont be afraid to look for those 20% hp tanks out there...even a tank with 1 hp still has a gun.  removing tanks from the battle field takes precedent.

So your fine overall...win % means nothing... I had 8 kills with my gw panther in a game and we still lost.  Keep at it.

blaneblane #8 Posted Jun 03 2012 - 20:42

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
So should I aim for the squishiest targets? Or try to eat away at the big tier 10s? Obviously enemy arty are #1 priority, but go for meds/weak targets after that?

BlackAngelCom #9 Posted Jun 04 2012 - 01:24

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
100 matches with a vehicle isn't anywhere near enough to smooth out random factors. I'm in the same boat with a new GW:P and most of my losses have nothing to do with my play. Often the team's deployment is badly screwed before I can get three rounds off. I might be a tiny drag relative to my MM weight potential starting with a 90% crew & grinding out the gun, but that's not why we're losing.

Your job is to hammer their dangerous stuff into the dirt. Just keep at it. You've made it to Tier 6, so you should have a feel for what's a worthwhile target and what's not.

Edited by BlackAngelCom, Jun 04 2012 - 01:26.

Cuth #10 Posted Jun 04 2012 - 16:03

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postblaneblane, on Jun 03 2012 - 20:42, said:

So should I aim for the squishiest targets? Or try to eat away at the big tier 10s? Obviously enemy arty are #1 priority, but go for meds/weak targets after that?

You need to be able to make that call on the fly. Look at enemy power vs survivability, positioning, and whether or not they are about to die.

Finishing off a 5% heavy that is being shot by half your team and will be dead in seconds, or hitting the TD behind him who is taking pot shots as he pleases. One gets you a kill, the other helps the team win.

Ditto for enemy arty. If your T-50-2 is happily plinking their arty to death, but has a medium coming to stop him, would you shoot the arty for an easy kill, or try to stop the medium from killing your scout?

Going for the kill is not always the best option.

As for picking a target when a whole flank is lit, you need to compare your own units to the enemy units on that side, and shoot the enemy whos removal would be most beneficial to your team. I know that's vague, but it really takes some thinking to make the decision. When I'm picking targets, the stuff that gets priority is frenchies with autoloaders, and TDs who are close enough to be a threat. Priority on those goes even higher if they are not moving. Got a batchat or 704 stopped next to a maus? The maus ain't getting shot, that's for sure.

Once the high DPM/low armor targets are dealt with, keep aware of the enemy scouts locations and wing a shot at them if need be, while dropping bombs on the most powerful remaining enemies. I can think of several maps where one arty watching a corner can defend it as well as 2 or 3 extra tanks could. Focus your efforts on those spots if you see your team being pushed back.

It just takes a lot of awareness and critical thought to play arty effectively. Your stats, as mentioned, are fine. You can hit stuff. Now, start hitting the right stuff and your win rate will go up.

ncpinz #11 Posted Jun 05 2012 - 20:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just got a chance to play the GW Panther on the test server.  What a sweet ride.  Max it out and it is one dangerous arty, and very different from the others in its tier (M12 and S-51).

OP, sounds like the previous posts addressed your issues.  Shot selection starts becoming a big deal with big arty.  Everything before in my opinion is just leading up to the big leagues.  Bad shot selection on the lower tiers is easy to overcome.  With the longer reloads and the massive damage you can deal out means your shot selection is critical to success.  Getting high fives from your team when you pull their butts out of the fire is where its at.  The best shot is the best shot for the team not for you.  Also, understand what your splash damage can do.  I've splashed guys to death when they are holding up a push and hidden behind a rock or building.

StanScorpio #12 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 00:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I feel for ya. My Hummel has pretty good stats and I loved it. My GwP was going really well up until a week ago, although I noticed that it isn't as accurate as my Hummel. But... last week I have had loss after loss in my GwP. I have gone from a win rate of over 60% to barely above 50%, I think for the last 72 hours I'm at about 27%. This used to be my go to tank when I couldn't buy a win in my KT or E-75 I would settle down with my arty - but no longer. I'm almost dreading taking it out now. But my Hummel still rocks.

I've noticed with the GwP that I get more "that was close" calls than actual hits. With the swinging barrel I think you might need to let the circle close a bit more than with the Hummel. I also think that you need to pay more attention to how terrain affects the fall of shot - it may be that the arc of the shell is different? My crew is at 97% so I'm hoping that 100% might make a bit more difference to the accuracy.

ageNtreachery #13 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 11:57

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Your stats are better than mine but your win rate is lower (i have 51%)  The most important thing for arty is lay the damage down asap before they damage your tanks. If you are getting your hits and damage in the later stages of the game it is often too late as too many of your team are dead.

1Shot1KillTiger205 #14 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 12:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
its a tier 6 arty, its normal, run a few tier 5 tanks to average it out

Thurnock #15 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 12:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
cause you have no protection in public games. All the peeps know how to do is rush like lemmings and leave you undefended.

Which is really stupid cause mose of the time you are the biggest damage gun in the game.

Such is life in WoT. I never play my arty for that reason.

Goomz #16 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 12:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I haven't read all posts, but the advice u have been given is correct. Ur stats are pretty good for solo pub play.  Arty relies heavily on team mates, play for the team and hit those priority targets. Also targeting with arty isn't as simple as point and click. Try dropping ur shot onto softer armored areas like the engine deck, or sides. Timing is another factor that takes to master. In time instinctly u will learn the flight time of ur shell. Hitting moving targets with arty is an art. Learnthus and u got it beat.

ChickenMcFuggits #17 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 13:11

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostCuth, on Jun 04 2012 - 16:03, said:

Now, start hitting the right stuff and your win rate will go up.
The primary point this man makes. Think of it this way. As a tank, you fight other tanks. This becomes the battle. Your job isn't fighting, its influence. You influence the battle. Which side is the push going ? East ? I'll keep an eye on east, pre-aim at those rocks up ahead and hit their heavies the moment they light up. May not do godawful damage, but it'll make them duck for cover, giving your guys time to advance on them. Guys in the east are doing well now but the td's on the west are getting hit by a Maus, an E100, an IS7, and Godzilla ? Send a few shots that way and maybe it will break the enemy push long enough for our push to work. That crazy scout finds a hole and runs to their cap ? Probably give you a chance to hit their arty, so pre-aim in the area he's heading for. Taking out their arty may turn the tide against them permanently. In the first thirty seconds don't worry about chat ramblings. Pick the spot you want to go to, pick the area you most likely want to shoot at first, and take a look at the makeup of your team, tank wise. Even a lemming rush can work if you influence it right. My stats aren't the greatest in the world either, but I watched a few arty vids by a Russian guy, read a few threads, and now I have a blast.

blaneblane #18 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 23:21

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks for all the advice! BUT... I think this arty is cursed. 20 games later I've bumped up my KPB to .98, my DPB to 1550, and accuracy is up 1%, yet still at the same win rate. I even had a battle with 5 kills, 5 damaged and over 20 shots fired(11ish direct hits). We still lost. I recieved ~800 experience for the loss, without premium. :Smile-angry:

Quillan668 #19 Posted Jun 08 2012 - 18:55

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postblaneblane, on Jun 07 2012 - 23:21, said:

Thanks for all the advice! BUT... I think this arty is cursed. 20 games later I've bumped up my KPB to .98, my DPB to 1550, and accuracy is up 1%, yet still at the same win rate. I even had a battle with 5 kills, 5 damaged and over 20 shots fired(11ish direct hits). We still lost. I recieved ~800 experience for the loss, without premium. :Smile-angry:

When that happens, there is nothing you can do to change things. Do what you need to do to feel better: rage in chat at idiot teammates, stop playing for a bit, switch to a different vehicle for a change of pace, drop back to lower tiers for a few matches, or drink heavily. Whatever works for you, do it.

Cuth #20 Posted Jul 09 2012 - 21:11

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
I see the OP is up to 45% wins in the GWP now. Wanna let us know what you started doing differently, or if it was just dumb luck?