A modern guide to the T-54

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

Harmz #1 Posted Jun 04 2012 - 06:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Disclaimer: not my guide, op is Garbad who posted this on teh gameplay forums, original thread here http://forum.worldof...4997-t-54-tips/

Got this PM the other day:

I was hoping to get some t54 advice from a good player. You seem helpful on the forums so I thought I might ask you. I have a decent W/L ratio in most my end tier tanks. Nothing to brag about but slightly above average. However I suck in my t54. Over 300 battles and 47% win rate. it seems to be my bad luck tank. I usuallytry to wait a bit and find wounded tanks and circle them to death. Or I go to a side that needs help and try to flank and support. But... bo dice. You have any strategy tips for this tank? Thanks in advance for your time
Thanks for your PM and kind words.

I've actually been playing the T-54 a bit recently, trying to get that elusive Mastery badge on all my tanks. The t-54 has seen better days -- once the king of wot, its now probably the worst tier 9. The batchat, in particular, is overwhelmingly superior to the T-54 and renders it obsolete in clan wars and pugs. But such is the circle of power creep, young simba.

So let's look at what the tank can do:

Firepower:
+high rof
+great pen firing gold
- unimpressive dps, accuracy, and aiming

Agility:
+ good acceleration, speed, and turning
+ very fast repair time
- only the batchat can outrun it in class

Protection:
+ best camo in class, by far, small profile
+ bounconium reinforced armor on the front, very strong turret
- moderately prone to ammo rack
- weak sides, low HP total

So we have a tank that is a servicable scout (in fact, the T-54 was the clan wars scout of choice until the batchat came along), has excellent armor for a medium, and still has the agility and penetration to damage heavies. A well rounded, flexible tank, in other words. I play mine as a heavy scout -- early game, I might eliminate hostile scouts. Mid game, I usually take a good hill and probe around for weaknesses, easy victims, and scouting the thinned out field. End game, I bully the weakened survivors and help tip fights in our favor.

I fit my T-54 with:
Posted Image
Vertical stabilizer - Binocs - vents
BIA - 6th/repair, camo

Many people use WAR, but I don't feel it is necessary with smart play. I rarely get racked. Instead, I have it fit as a good passive scout with a good blend of overall mods. One could easily argue for a rammer instead of a vent, but I prefer 2.2% to many stats vs. a 10% reload that often doesn't matter. YMMV.

PREY:

Your primary prey should be the weak -- wounded tanks, exposed arty, outnumbered, or lower tier.

As a note, do not denigrate the role of noob killer -- consider your rival, the batchat. Although the batchat is murderously dangerous to anything tier 9+, that batchat does not want anything to do with a low tier tank. A low tier tank can penetrate the batchat easily, often has just as high dps, and often can take a full clip to kill. This means for all practical purposes, a batchat vs. say a T20 is just as deadly as a batchat vs. a patton -- yet if a t20 trades shots with a batchat the batchat's team loses strategically (because they are losing HP on a high tier tank in exchange for a low tier tank). By contrast, a T-54 can safely bully a T20, basically immune to frontal shots. This means the T-54 can knock them out without personal risk and without having to reload a long clip, keeping him in the fight. Particularly in arty heavy games, this ability to eliminate scouts without risk is a nice asset to a team.

If you think of the amount of ZOMG OP complaints, a lot of them come because of this tank. That's because low tier players correctly realize the T-54/Type 59 outclasses them, and they can't do squat about it. Use that. Avoid other healthy tier 9s, bully weaker tanks, conserve your HP, then isolate and destroy the top tanks in a zergpack. Flow around the field, seeking out weak targets, reinforce where your team needs help, flank, and overcome!

PREDATORS:

Your greatest fear is the french. They are even faster than you, have better view range, can alpha you due to your low HP, and can easily penetrate straight through your hardest point. Avoid them whenever possible, or else attack only in groups. NEVER engage a Lorraine, AMX 50 100/120, or 50B alone unless the situation requires it.

RANDOM TIPS:

Be wary of hilly terrain. Due to your poor depression, the T-54 is not well suited to some spots on many maps. Leave that to the US tanks. However, you are well suited both to open fields and urban maps, regardless of conditions, as long as they are reasonably flat.

Keep your turret facing your opponent at all times. DO NOT LOOK AROUND. Head on, you are effectively unpenetrable. Turned to the side, you drastically increase your risk of getting racked. Turning your body is a natural risk of combat, but your turret should never be turned away from the enemy (or their likely location). If you need to focus on driving, just click autoaim and move the camera to drive.

Avoid ramming. You just don't weigh enough to be effective, even against arty or french tanks. However, face hugging or side hugging works very well against some tanks. For example, you can pin on the side of a mouse and he can't depress low enough to hit you at all!

EDIT: Here's my T-54 double for tonight. I'll try and remember to post my games up so you can see some examples (hopefully eventually I'll get my masters :/ ):

http://www.filedropp...ussr-t-54crimea

The essence of the T-54, imo, is flexibility and the ability to bully in packs. While not the best tank in the world, it can be effective.

Anyone is welcome to comment or post replays!
\o/

masterzjg #2 Posted Jun 04 2012 - 07:10

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Well written, and thought out. Glad you reposted this to the forums as I would not of seen it. +1

Edited by masterzjg, Jun 04 2012 - 07:12.

Ruukil #3 Posted Jun 05 2012 - 06:52

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Keep working on it.

Sparky630 #4 Posted Jun 06 2012 - 21:46

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
pretty good guide +1 to you

aPyro_ #5 Posted Jun 07 2012 - 03:41

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Troll guide made by Garbad to troll T-54 drivers into thinking French are an actual threat.

If you want a real guide, just ask. I'm the best medium tank driver in the game.

Rincer #6 Posted Jun 08 2012 - 00:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hmm what about sidehugging? I saw some youtube videos where t-54 kills a maus by sidehugging it, and maus cant shoot it due to low profile.

Ruukil #7 Posted Jun 08 2012 - 04:19

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostRincer, on Jun 08 2012 - 00:10, said:

Hmm what about sidehugging? I saw some youtube videos where t-54 kills a maus by sidehugging it, and maus cant shoot it due to low profile.

That's out dated, a maus can do that now but there is a  good room for error. A skilled Maus can also force a T-54 out of a face hug.

Huck_ #8 Posted Jun 08 2012 - 17:15

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostRuukil, on Jun 08 2012 - 04:19, said:

That's out dated, a maus can do that now but there is a  good room for error. A skilled Maus can also force a T-54 out of a face hug.

This is correct.

FWIW, I've found that scraping back and forth along the side works well. The maus has to time his shot perfectly to pen.

Ice_King #9 Posted Jun 09 2012 - 06:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Liked the guide. It's true what you say about the french tanks, the batchat has always been a problem for me in this tank. I find myself having to play cautiously, as the longer you stay alive the greater your teams chances of winning.

Firemoth #10 Posted Jun 10 2012 - 02:34

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostRuukil, on Jun 08 2012 - 04:19, said:

but in a sidehug, the german tanks have problems hitting you. facehug is crazy, you just simply dont do it unless your american

Equilibria #11 Posted Jun 19 2012 - 21:38

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Very nice guide. I followed your advice immediately in my next game and found myself dominating the stragglers . However, while the T-54 dominates during the endgame, can anyone give any advice as to how to play it early on? the following are two of my main concerns:

Positioning on the map: the old advice on the Wiki was to stick with mobile heavies like the IS-7 to support them. Now i find that that's not the case, as this often leads the T-54 to bump into t9-10 heavies. The T-54 is indeed not a spearhead tank.

Engagement: during the early stages of the battle, there are no wounded tanks, and the T-54 very rarely gets the opportunity to snack on lower tiers, which i believe tier 7 below. tier 8s are a bit harder to chew, but still manageable. Otherwise, what are the rules of engagement for facing equal tiers and above in a situation where there is no urban environment or cover?

TanderZ #12 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 00:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Could you reupload the replay and if possible upload a several more, im aiming @it and the E50, yea im grinding the Panther and the T43 @the same time yeaaaaaaaaaa :D.

Btw thanks for the unorthodox and helpfull guide im sure it will help any med i'll get.

YoJoe #13 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 16:17

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I'm starting to do my russian medium line, usually with my tier 9 mediums (patton, e50 and bat) ijust do the doubles now for the extra xp for the tier 10's.

i never had the russian mediums so this is the last of the mediums so far for me to complete. If its more like the type 59 a bit then i think there wont be a problem for me, since i have that in my line-up too.

This guide will help me alot. :Smile_great:

Thanks! :Smile_veryhappy:

YoJoe

Rincer #14 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 17:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Most good T54 players I see act like fat armored scouts. Sadly I dont recall ever being in a game where a T54 got Sniper, Steel wall or Top gun though. Seems like E50, Batchat and Patton are just better. But I am grinding towards my T54 nevertheless...

Edited by Rincer, Jun 20 2012 - 17:54.

Ruukil #15 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 20:42

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostRincer, on Jun 20 2012 - 17:53, said:

Most good T54 players I see act like fat armored scouts. Sadly I dont recall ever being in a game where a T54 got Sniper, Steel wall or Top gun though. Seems like E50, Batchat and Patton are just better. But I am grinding towards my T54 nevertheless...

You don't get sniper by sniping, you get it by making every shot count.
You don't get steel wall by sitting still, constant controlled motion will manufacture a steel wall.
Top gun goes to T-54's who survive, it's easy to get a top gun when you can join every big fight on the map.

Rincer #16 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 21:32

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

Just saying what I see in the Battle Heroes tab thats all. Cant remember ever seeing a T-54 in there, why is that?

Hurtzyou #17 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 23:31

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostRincer, on Jun 20 2012 - 21:32, said:

Just saying what I see in the Battle Heroes tab thats all. Cant remember ever seeing a T-54 in there, why is that?

'Cause any Med will be looked at as a Higher priority target by heavies...why waste $$ bouncing off other T9+ Heavies when you can get easy $$ damaging a medium and prevent a possible flank later.

Rincer #18 Posted Jun 21 2012 - 00:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Well other mediums get to be battle heroes, just not T54s. In any case, my goal is to have a top tank in all soviet branches. I have the IS-4 and the IS-7, grinding the T44 right now, I might change my opinion once I actually get to play the T54, but based on what I see in public games I am not as excited as I was when I was getting my IS-7.

Huck_ #19 Posted Jun 21 2012 - 00:24

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
you arent sitting still often so it's tough to get sniper, and you are brawling vs. big tanks so it's tough to get steel wall - so yes, the t-54 isnt going to get those two most common awards as often as an e50 or even a hull-down patton. that said, i have over 160 battle awards in a t54 so apparently it does happen from time to time :)

ColdWar82 #20 Posted Jun 21 2012 - 16:44

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostCOLONEL64, on Jun 21 2012 - 00:24, said:

you arent sitting still often so it's tough to get sniper, and you are brawling vs. big tanks so it's tough to get steel wall - so yes, the t-54 isnt going to get those two most common awards as often as an e50 or even a hull-down patton. that said, i have over 160 battle awards in a t54 so apparently it does happen from time to time :)

Actually, sniper is about getting hits, on a good game, I shoot a bit and then brawl...  I beleive I have a few sniper medals on my T-54.