Has the KT armor been improved recently?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

SlashCo #1 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 11:55

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1 battle
I'm asking because I just had a game where I faced a KT (Tiger II), with me in an IS with the 122mm gun. I fired 3 shots at his tracks and turret, they all either bounced or did no damage. Then he killed me in 2 hits. Is this normal?

Gies84 #2 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 11:57

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSlashCo, on Oct 11 2010 - 11:55, said:

I'm asking because I just had a game where I faced a KT (Tiger II), with me in an IS with the 122mm gun. I fired 3 shots at his tracks and turret, they all either bounced or did no damage. Then he killed me in 2 hits. Is this normal?

no hasnt been improved you were just unlucky it happens

bloodwork #3 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 12:00

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
In the same game you had 5 kills, i was in the enemy team, i think you shouldn't complain! Ok, maybe you think that you hit turret but the shot went elsewhere or the game needs more balancing which i think is the case. It happened to me when i was facing a kv with my kv, i shot 6 shots (high damage shells) at side armor and i did no damage at all.

Darklynx #4 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 12:16

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
rofl GUYS remember this Thread xD
A IS complains about bounced ^.^ *kind of happy*

Zoijar #5 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 12:16

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
That's just the way this game is. I complained about it before: please reduce all the chance factors.

On a side note, I always find it funny when an IS tries to face my KT heads-on: you shouldn't win that battle in an IS; it's like a VK3601 trying to take on your IS. Driver of Russian tanks seem to have this tendency to think that all German tanks are weaklings. I see this particularly often with KVs. These guys are like honey badgers: they will just stand there out in the open and try to stare you down. Though they usually get the message after the first shot brings them down to 30% and theirs bounces.

SlashCo #6 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 12:16

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 1 battle
Yeah, had 5 kills but then lost the game because nobody could penetrate the KT (I was seeing chat messages from other people about it). That's why I was wondering. And it wasn't head on, I shot him in the side, twice in the tracks and once in the back of turret.

Hornet331 #7 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 14:25

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
lol KT has the worse armor of all the tier 8 tanks, they only decent part is the frontal armor. If you really wan't to kill a KT just aim for his turret. Hardly any shots bounce there (even with the henschel turret) and have a very good chance to take out gun/gunner/loader/ammo. If I am up against another KT i always aim for the turret, since I know that every 8.8 will penetrate the turret and will cripple the enemy KT.

Mike_Hammer #8 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 14:52

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I got my IS yesterday and played way too many games with it, enough to get the higher rof 122mm and tracks. Awesome tank, even when I'm the one driving it (and not my opposition) I find it way too nimble for a Heavy. It's more like a slow medium tank with a big gun.

What I found strange was that out of the games where I was top 4 in the list, 9/10 the enemy had either an IS-3 or a KT, while we had nothing above Tiger1 / IS. And damn do both of those bounce my shots from the front. I try shooting low, I try turret, I try hitting at the side of the front, in the tracks, next to the tracks, but it's tough going getting penetration unless you can get behind them, or straight from the side.

bubbs #9 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 15:20

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The problem with the 122mm guns available to the IS is that their penetration ratings are just enough for hitting T7 or lower from the front. Anything above is just about guaranteed bounce. To be honest that gap needs to be filled, right now we go two entire tiers (KV3 and IS) without raising our penetration rating from 167-175, and then suddenly halfway through T8 BOOM 225 pen. I thjnk some stopgap gun for the IS with 200mm pen would be awesome, or maybe just raise the D25T to that value.

phawkins1988 #10 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 15:29

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postbubbs, on Oct 11 2010 - 15:20, said:

The problem with the 122mm guns available to the IS is that their penetration ratings are just enough for hitting T7 or lower from the front. Anything above is just about guaranteed bounce. To be honest that gap needs to be filled, right now we go two entire tiers (KV3 and IS) without raising our penetration rating from 167-175, and then suddenly halfway through T8 BOOM 225 pen. I thjnk some stopgap gun for the IS with 200mm pen would be awesome, or maybe just raise the D25T to that value.
That would be unfair in my view.  You get more damage for less penetration as compared to the long 88mm.  A 200mm penetration gun on the IS would mean you get more damage per shot, and the same penetration as the long 88mm.

Just gotta accept it's a weakness of T7 Russian heavies, the same way that T6/T7 German mediums get worse penetration than the 100mm that the T34-85 and T43 can mount.

halfik #11 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 15:32

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postbubbs, on Oct 11 2010 - 15:20, said:

why only 200? i think all tanks should have 999mm pen.

Pliscin #12 Posted Oct 11 2010 - 16:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 66 battles

View PostSlashCo, on Oct 11 2010 - 12:16, said:

Yeah, had 5 kills but then lost the game because nobody could penetrate the KT (I was seeing chat messages from other people about it). That's why I was wondering. And it wasn't head on, I shot him in the side, twice in the tracks and once in the back of turret.
I had match in Himmelsdorf where my IS was head to head with a mini-maus (Ausf B ), literally. Nose to nose, butted and just firing that Ausf B bounced and bounced and bounced and all my hits were landing hard...I killed him. Unusual, yes but angle is everything and obviously he was just hitting that sweet spot that had the perfect angle on my IS. Your story is far, far, far from "OMG REALLY?!?!?!?!?"  Move along man...move along.

NEMESIS #13 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 18:58

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
You got to be kiddin me KT armor is *BLEEP* compared to IS3 you bouce nothing above T5 unless your really lucky almost all hits from IS go through unless maybe over 300 meters and a good angle,they really need to look at that armor value.

Edited by Sykotic, Oct 14 2010 - 21:26.
Editted for bad language. Profanity is not allowed in the forums. Please refrain from using it. Thanks.

SpectreHD #14 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 19:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 16849 battles
  • [TT] TT

View PostNEMESIS, on Oct 14 2010 - 18:58, said:

You got to be kiddin me KT armor is *BLEEP* compared to IS3 you bouce nothing above T5 unless your really lucky almost all hits from IS go through unless maybe over 300 meters and a good angle,they really need to look at that armor value.

Exactly. Everything penetrates. Everything damages modules on the KT. I can count on two hands the number of times I bounce a shot whenever I play the KT. They need to tone down the module damage on the KT considering how easily damaged it is. That and a speed increase and 10.5cm AP cost decrease.

NEMESIS #15 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 21:24

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Ok its freaking official KT is a piece of *BLEEP* armor is total *BLEEP* gun is *BLEEP*,i was just now in a dogfight with an IS 1 bounced twice(this was below 15 meters) on his side(rear side) while all of his shots penetrated me i`m really just ready to give up on this tank guess for realease i`ll have to pick runnian tanks heck :(,ohh and in game earlier first shot from a tiger set my tank on fire and from 80% burned all the way to 0% amazing KT is becoming more like a flaming torch the amount of times this tank catches fire its amazing you`d think its made of wood not steel,and fuel tank is put infront of the armor.

Then again i have no idea why i`m upset at it gun bounces on everything lately on back of Vk36 at point blank range on T34 twice so why wouldn`t it bounce on is all the time,i remember playing the KT before the and it wasn`t this crappy,gun wasn`t this crappy,they really downgraded it good,at least chances of fires have been increased at least 3 times ever since the patch not worth getting anymore.

Maybe its just me but lately i`m getting such an unsual numer of bounces and shots that are confirmed as hits but do no damage its unbelievable.

PS:I also play is7 no problem`s there.

Deceiver #16 Posted Oct 15 2010 - 11:54

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I just got the kingtiger and had 6 fires out of 10 games. Something is not normal there... I get a bit less module damage than the tiger but way more fires...

NEMESIS #17 Posted Oct 15 2010 - 19:37

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postdecbw, on Oct 15 2010 - 11:54, said:

I just got the kingtiger and had 6 fires out of 10 games. Something is not normal there... I get a bit less module damage than the tiger but way more fires...

It`s great to know that i`m not the one getting an very unusual and very high number of fires and the darn ''fill fuel tank with C02''add-on doesn`t work either funny thing was just after i got that in the first 5 games i had 2 fires lol that of course burned me all the way from 100%.

Once i even caught fire from an tiger shooting me at about 300+meters hitting my front armor head on somehow penetrated all the way to the fuel tank and set me on fire you`d think they put the fuel tank infront of that armor on this thing.

I don`t know how it is that every time you get fire in the KT your as good as dead, when i`ve seen an IS3 tank catch fire at 15% and put it out at about 3-4% but he didn`t die of the fire,same for IS i`ve seen one catch fire at 20% and put it out before dieing,also i played alot in my IS4 and not a single time i died of fire(without firefighting skill)it would take maximum,and i mean maximum 50% but they`d ALWAYS put it out,same on IS7,not sure how this is on Vk45 and Maus but you can preaty much draw the conclusions.

PS: Same problem with that ammo rack it gets damaged all the time and i mean all the time don`t think i`ve had a single game where ammo rack is taken out some times(preaty often on the first shot),and that wet ammo rack doesn`t really improve it as far as i can tell.

killakanz #18 Posted Oct 16 2010 - 19:54

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
It seems the KT doesn't know where it's ammo rack is. Hits to any part of the tank can damage the ammo rack. I've had ammo rack damages from hits to the turret (duh), hull sides, front (wtf?), hull rear (omg, wtf?)...

Stormscion #19 Posted Oct 16 2010 - 22:28

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSlashCo, on Oct 11 2010 - 11:55, said:

did you use autoaim and was it flat or elevated position ?

ramp4ge #20 Posted Oct 17 2010 - 01:17

Major

• Special Beta Testers
  • 333 battles
I was playing a game earlier today in a KT with the L/71, and an IS rushed past me, so I gave chase, thinking "His rear armor is exposed, easy kill."...

6 shells in a row from the L/71 bounced on his rear armor at point-blank range. He hit my frontal armor 3 times and I was dead. From 90% health.

True story.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users