Sticky/bouncy Aiming Reticle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Swagna #1 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 05:18

Private

• Players
  • 361 battles
When I'm playing in game, regardless of weapon or vehicle, my reticle seems to stick to objects.  It's like an aim assist, but on steroids.  My reticle literally sticks and bounces around every object it passes over.  If I aim at a rock, the reticle will stick to the rock, then unlock, and stick to another nearby object. This makes shooting difficult as, if I'm engaging a target behind cover, my reticle usually sticks to the piece of cover and not the enemy tank.  It wasn't always like this, so I think it might be a bug, but I'm consulting the newbie forum just in case there's something about the aiming mechanics that I don't understand.

G33k #2 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 05:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6730 battles
  • [FRFLY] FRFLY
You might be accidently holding the right mouse button. It holds the gun in place even if you move your mouse.

1858remington #3 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 05:35

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25188 battles
  • [AM0K] AM0K
I've had my gun wander aimlessly, usually around buildings.
For example I might be aiming down and left away from the building, yet my gun wanders up and right.
I only seem to get it under control if I enter the gun sight view.
It can make peekaboo tactics a royal pain.

kirby20x6 #4 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 06:29

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 2242 battles
  • [MLPWN] MLPWN
Is it the aiming reticle sticking? The reticle is the angled (^) or cross-shaped (+) indicator for where you're trying to point.  The direction of fire indicator is a circle that shrinks as you aim; this part of the UI tells you where your shell will actually land based on the obstacles in line with the gun muzzle.  Just because you can see an enemy with the third-person camera does not mean you can hit it with a shell.

soluuloi #5 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 11:42

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
Sounds like your right mouse has a problem or you are using auto-aim on a tank, it/you went behind rock/building but you can still see it silhouette but we cant say for sure unless you post a replay.

Edited by soluuloi, Jun 15 2012 - 11:43.

Atragon #6 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 11:52

Captain

• Players
  • 25338 battles
This is one of the biggest PIA's I encounter in the game. The recticle snaps to everything but the enemy. It snaps to eves of houses and dead tanks. You are trying a fine aiming adjustment and positioning in arcade view mode and the recticle snaps suddenly to the eve of a house.

This does not happen in sniper view.

They need to fix this.

Swagna #7 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 12:33

Private

• Players
  • 361 battles

View Post1858remington, on Jun 15 2012 - 05:35, said:

I've had my gun wander aimlessly, usually around buildings.
For example I might be aiming down and left away from the building, yet my gun wanders up and right.
I only seem to get it under control if I enter the gun sight view.
It can make peekaboo tactics a royal pain.

View PostDinnger, on Jun 15 2012 - 11:52, said:

This is one of the biggest PIA's I encounter in the game. The recticle snaps to everything but the enemy. It snaps to eves of houses and dead tanks. You are trying a fine aiming adjustment and positioning in arcade view mode and the recticle snaps suddenly to the eve of a house.

This does not happen in sniper view.

They need to fix this.

These replies best describe my issue.  I know I'm not holding the right mouse button, when I dont want to use it.  I'm aware that what I see in 3rd person does not necessarily make my target available to get shot, but that doesn't explain why my aiming reticle (the one zeroed on the cannon, not my view reticle) bobs around and briefly sticks to any objects.

Atragon #8 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 12:48

Captain

• Players
  • 25338 battles

View PostSwagna, on Jun 15 2012 - 12:33, said:

These replies best describe my issue.  I know I'm not holding the right mouse button, when I dont want to use it.  I'm aware that what I see in 3rd person does not necessarily make my target available to get shot, but that doesn't explain why my aiming reticle (the one zeroed on the cannon, not my view reticle) bobs around and briefly sticks to any objects.

You are absolutly correct.

snobot #9 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 16:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4456 battles

View PostDinnger, on Jun 15 2012 - 12:48, said:

You are absolutly correct.

Are the objects that your reticle "sticks" to close to your tank? There's a well-known "issue" (I think the devs are working on it) that occurs when you are near objects and switching between sniper (1st person) and 3rd person (zoomed-out) views. The game engine tries to determine where you are pointing your gun to orient the camera when you switch views. Because of the difference in sight lines for 1st person and 3d person views, though, aiming your gun past the corner of a house in 1st person view seems like aiming at the house in 3rd person view, thus your reticle seems to snap from the target to the side of the house. Sometimes, the game engine gets so confused that switching from 1st person to 3rd person causes your camera to be pointed straight down at your tank. That's VERY disorienting, to say the least.

Also, it's possible that there are areas of the battlefield of which you have unobstructed vision but at which you cannot aim your gun. The spotting mechanics check lines of sight from a point at the top center of your tank and a point where the gun barrel exits the mantlet to six vision checkpoints on enemy tanks. You may have line of sight from the top center view point to an enemy tank but not have LOS from the mantlet view point, which means that you cannot place your reticle over the target even though it looks like you should be able to do so in 3rd person view. When you point your gun in the direction of the target, the first object that the aiming line (which runs from the mantlet, not the end of the barrel) reaches is the object (rock, house, dead tank, etc.) blocking that line is where the reticle settles. If this is what's happening in your case, OP, switching to 1st person view (which follows the aiming line) will show you that the target is actually behind the cover. I almost always shoot from 1st person view for this reason - I see exactly where the gun is pointed.

Atragon #10 Posted Jun 15 2012 - 23:28

Captain

• Players
  • 25338 battles

View Postsnobot, on Jun 15 2012 - 16:42, said:

Are the objects that your reticle "sticks" to close to your tank? There's a well-known "issue" (I think the devs are working on it) that occurs when you are near objects and switching between sniper (1st person) and 3rd person (zoomed-out) views.

Exactly; and to make matters worse, if you are in a TD thats turns with the recticle, this snapping also makes your TD turn unwantingly.

Edited by Dinnger, Jun 15 2012 - 23:29.

Magic_Foe1 #11 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 04:13

Captain

• Players
  • 8490 battles
  • [RUSS] RUSS
It does happen in sniper views. Not as often, but it happens. Love it when it ruins my BL-10 shot by aiming at a rock beside the tank just when I fire.

Swagna #12 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 19:25

Private

• Players
  • 361 battles
Lately my reticle has not been having this issue, but as I said in my OP, I didn't have this issue when I first started the game.  It comes and goes, much like the red scope issue.  Thank you for the replies, all!  I hope this issue gets fixed soon, I'm sure the devs are on it.  :Smile_Default:

TwisteDeath #13 Posted Aug 02 2012 - 07:03

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
Just realized this happening to me too after I installed 7.5. Wasn't like this before. Going to re-install the game now and see if that fixes it.

SirWili #14 Posted Aug 09 2012 - 11:07

Private

• Players
  • 23 battles
Do you mean this?

http://www.youtube.c...Cc&feature=plcp

(Im from EU server, there was some conversation about this topic. It seems that there´s actually some aim assistance build in the game.)