Lowe

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

fatkiddown #1 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 18:29

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24627 battles
Disclaimer:
Original disclaimer blurb: having recently overheard _yet_ another conversation wherein, one guy tries to tell another how to say, "Lowe" I popped and wrote this.
Updated disclaimer blurb (v0.0.1b): This guide addresses _those_who_CORRECT_English_speakers_who_pronounce_the_German_word_"Lowe"_as_"Low."  It _is_not_ in any form or fashion, a guide addressing the correction, belittlement, disdain, pedantry, didacticism, admonishing of those who decide to pronounce it utilizing a German pronunciation, ffs.... (ya, cuz like, that's the _real_ problem with the word, "Lowe".... all them "Low" guys always be up in the grilles of them Luvah guys....)
Proactively Updated Disclaimer blurb to the blurb yo: all are required to watch this before replying in this thread: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

tl;dr: it's ok to call it a "Low"....

First, the ugly part (the part that will bring flames; like the rest won't): I actually studied English Lit. in Kollage.  I took near 30 hours of pure classes -- loved Tennyson, Hopkins, the Romantics (not the 1980's band).  Further, I took "Linguistics" and communicated with a guy named "W. F. Bolton" -- ok, I wrote him a letter, and he said, "thanks" but still....  Now, I am a raging novice when it comes to language, grammar, all this crap, but just wanna let you know where I'm coming from....

"Uh huh, fkd, uh huh...."
Posted Image

I also studied ancient Greek -- that's right, prepositions will never be the same, and let's not begin to discuss participles.

Did you know Shakespeare couldn't spell his own gd name?

Grammaticians, vs Linguists.  _Or_ @55holes vs bros.  It's an age-old debate: did grammaticians invent language or did people?  Did the spoken come first or the written?  Were there first rules and then language, or did the language come first?  If you can't answer that one, then don't begin to talk about how to say the gd word, "Lowe."  This is no "chicken and the egg" debate here....

Language Fight Club:
The first rule of Language fight is you _do_ _not_ tell people how to use language.  The 2nd rule is, well the same as the first duh!

I've never met a grammarnazi that actually knew wtf he was talking about.  Nope, I haven't.  If you don't know what a predicate is, then don't tell people how to speak.  'nuf said....

Language is a liquid, not a solid.  Language forever changes, evolves.  If not, it dies -- Latin is dead.  It only, ever and forever, will exist fixed, solid, dead.

Before we discuss how to talk like a native German speaker, let's talk about the city of Detroit, MI.  Do you pronounce it like a frenchman?  As it was first/meant to be pronounced?  No?  Wtf not?  According to _your_ way of saying, "Lowe," you do not pronounce Detroit: "De" and then "Tro-eet!"  No, you should/would say, "De" and then "Twah."  But you don't.  Oh, but yo'ure gonna tell me how  to say, "Lowe" -- ok, with the 2 dots on top -- sorry, not gonna take the time to put them there -- after all, you're not putting accents on "Detroit" as they originally were....

Screw language.  Let's rewrite history:

You're an american soldier in WW2.  It's "The Battle of The Bulge."  The Americans have learned there are Germans posing as American troops to sew confusion, give wrong info and directions.  You walk up to an American sentry, made aware that Germans are pretending to be American soldiers.  Now, the Germans so _happen_ to have developed the VK7201, the Lowe.  _All_ English speakers refer to this by it's English name: "The Lion" _just_ as they would/did "The Tiger."  (Got that?  No American or British troops _EVAR_ pronounced "Tiger" as a German would).

Anyhow,  you, however, are a World of Tanks official grammatician.  You are a stickler for words, language, spelling and pronunciations.  You make _sure_ to say "T34" in Russian, and  you fluently pronounced every Central American country and rebel faction with a _perfect_ Spanish accent -- even tho all others words in between your report sound like your from St. Louis.

As you're talking to the sentry, you want him to know how smart you are and that you can break out into perfect German, so you call the "Lion" tank the Allies are so aware of, "Lowe" -- with perfect Bravarian coloring on your tongue.

Half a dozen U.S. soldiers unload all their rounds into you.  You are dead now.  You were obviously a German spy.  Your buddy, looking shocked and wide-eyed, now with guns pointed at him, lies and says to the troops.  "Lion, they were lion tanks guys.  I just met this guy, he was obviously a spy...."

Now, say these words to yourself, but use your perfect German pronunciation:

Rob Lowe
Lowe's Hardware Store

/end rant
/duck
/dodge
/hide

How some may be acting right now having just read this....

Posted Image

Edited by fatkiddown, Jun 28 2012 - 18:07.

Pikachu21 #2 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 18:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 1390 battles
Or... Lion in german

colonelsander96 #3 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 18:40

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3070 battles

View Postfatkiddown, on Jun 16 2012 - 18:29, said:

You are a stickler for words,

its more appropriate in this game to just call it a grammar nazi

Jodo42 #4 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 18:47

Captain

• Players
  • 7283 battles
https://encrypted-tb...LJBHKU9uhTEPxbx
^^99% of the people who read this.

slenderfungus #5 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 18:47

Major

• Players
  • 34852 battles

First, the ugly part (the part that will bring flames; like the rest won't): I actually studied English Lit. in Kollage.  I took near 30 hours of pure classes -- loved Tennyson,

Flaming you for this would be low.

Edited by slenderfungus, Jun 16 2012 - 18:48.

rinying #6 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 18:50

Major

• Players
  • 11427 battles

View PostJodo42, on Jun 16 2012 - 18:47, said:

https://encrypted-tb...LJBHKU9uhTEPxbx
^^99% of the people who read this.
thats me....

fatkiddown #7 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 18:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24627 battles

View Postslenderfungus, on Jun 16 2012 - 18:47, said:

Flaming you for this would be low.

lol!!!  Oh that's gold....

tankbuster911 #8 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 18:57

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 44711 battles
  • [SCG] SCG

Vaneimort #9 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 19:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11964 battles
Funny as hell ! Good Rant! :Smile_great:

ZiddyCat #10 Posted Jun 16 2012 - 20:59

Major

• -Players-
  • 21939 battles
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
Oh look, a boring thread. I have a fix for this.

Posted Image

painpanzer #11 Posted Jun 24 2012 - 05:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 4690 battles
WTF!!!!!! bravarian..............you dont know shit!.............COLOUR..............

Valmorgan #12 Posted Jun 24 2012 - 06:03

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5985 battles
I pronounce Lowe like this: "Priority Target".

painpanzer #13 Posted Jun 24 2012 - 06:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 4690 battles
serious thou ............dont matter what they are called..........they look cute when their dead!

VertyBaby #14 Posted Jun 24 2012 - 09:47

Sergeant

• Players
  • 31416 battles
  • [-WR-] -WR-

Disclaimer: Having recently overheard _yet_ another conversation wherein, one guy tries to tell another how to say, "Lowe" I popped and wrote this:

tl;dr: it's ok to call it a "Low"....

First, the ugly part (the part that will bring flames; like the rest won't): I actually studied English Lit. in Kollage.  I took near 30 hours of pure classes -- loved Tennyson, Hopkins, the Romantics (not the 1980's band).  Further, I took "Linguistics" and communicated with a guy named "W. F. Bolton" -- ok, I wrote him a letter, and he said, "thanks" but still....  Now, I am a raging novice when it comes to language, grammar, all this crap, but just wanna let you know where I'm coming from....

"Uh huh, fkd, uh huh...."
Posted Image

I also studied ancient Greek -- that's right, prepositions will never be the same, and let's not begin to discuss participles.

Did you know Shakespeare couldn't spell his own gd name?

Grammaticians, vs Linguists.  _Or_ @55holes vs bros.  It's an age-old debate: did grammaticians invent language or did people?  Did the spoken come first or the written?  Were there first rules and then language, or did the language come first?  If you can't answer that one, then don't begin to talk about how to say the gd word, "Lowe."  This is no "chicken and the egg" debate here....

Language Fight Club:
The first rule of Language fight is you _do_ _not_ tell people how to use language.  The 2nd rule is, well the same as the first duh!

I've never met a grammarnazi that actually knew wtf he was talking about.  Nope, I haven't.  If you don't know what a predicate is, then don't tell people how to speak.  'nuf said....

Language is a liquid, not a solid.  Language forever changes, evolves.  If not, it dies -- Latin is dead.  It only, ever and forever, will exist fixed, solid, dead.

Before we discuss how to talk like a native German speaker, let's talk about the city of Detroit, MI.  Do you pronounce it like a frenchman?  As it was first/meant to be pronounced?  No?  Wtf not?  According to _your_ way of saying, "Lowe," you do not pronounce Detroit: "De" and then "Tro-eet!"  No, you should/would say, "De" and then "Twah."  But you don't.  Oh, but yo'ure gonna tell me how  to say, "Lowe" -- ok, with the 2 dots on top -- sorry, not gonna take the time to put them there -- after all, you're not putting accents on "Detroit" as they originally were....

Screw language.  Let's rewrite history:

You're an american soldier in WW2.  It's "The Battle of The Bulge."  The Americans have learned there are Germans posing as American troops to sew confusion, give wrong info and directions.  You walk up to an American sentry, made aware that Germans are pretending to be American soldiers.  Now, the Germans so _happen_ to have developed the VK7201, the Lowe.  _All_ English speakers refer to this by it's English name: "The Lion" _just_ as they would/did "The Tiger."  (Got that?  No American or British troops _EVAR_ pronounced "Tiger" as a German would).

Anyhow,  you, however, are a World of Tanks official grammatician.  You are a stickler for words, language, spelling and pronunciations.  You make _sure_ to say "T34" in Russian, and  you fluently pronounced every Central American country and rebel faction with a _perfect_ Spanish accent -- even tho all others words in between your report sound like your from St. Louis.

As you're talking to the sentry, you want him to know how smart you are and that you can break out into perfect German, so you call the "Lion" tank the Allies are so aware of, "Lowe" -- with perfect Bravarian coloring on your tongue.

Half a dozen U.S. soldiers unload all their rounds into you.  You are dead now.  You were obviously a German spy.  Your buddy, looking shocked and wide-eyed, now with guns pointed at him, lies and says to the troops.  "Lion, they were lion tanks guys.  I just met this guy, he was obviously a spy...."

Now, say these words to yourself, but use your perfect German pronunciation:

Rob Lowe
Lowe's Hardware Store

/end rant
/duck
/dodge
/hide

How some may be acting right now having just read this....

Posted Image

DUDE there isn't enough 0 behind my +!,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
MY NEW FAVORITE THREAD!

Timbrelaine #15 Posted Jun 24 2012 - 11:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1667 battles
Yeah, I'll second this. The word in german is actually Löwe, and unless you've spent some time learning german, you have no idea how to pronounce the umlaut ( ¨ ). ö isn't even a vowel sound that exists in english. Why overthink it? Just say Low.

rags17 #16 Posted Jun 24 2012 - 11:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13217 battles
The German pronunciation is "Loova", but there is no problem saying any way you want.

In 1987 I went to Europe and visited Belgium to see the WWI battlefields.  I wanted to go to Ypres (one of the biggest battles of the war) and from my reading I knew that the Allies used to call it Wipers or Eepers among many other variations.  At the station I asked for a ticket to "Eepres" and almost got a ticket to Paris, after much toing and froing the ticket man finally said "Ah, Eepra !" and I was on my way.

As one of my linguistics lecturers told me at Uni - individual words are meaningless, it doesn't matter what you say or how you say it, so long as people can comframbulate you.

Burya_Zheleznaya #17 Posted Jun 26 2012 - 23:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 11201 battles
I will not correct you for saying "Low", but don't correct/cajole me or others for saying "Loe-ve".  It goes both ways.  Just because I pronounce it one way doesn't imply condemnation for another.  I prefer to pronounce it that way.  We shall all pronounce it however the hell we want.  Hell, I'll even say "IC-Cемь "(IS-7) if I want ON THE NA SERVER.  We all have our pet peeves.

fatkiddown #18 Posted Jun 27 2012 - 01:40

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 24627 battles

View PostBurya_Zheleza, on Jun 26 2012 - 23:15, said:

Just because I pronounce it one way doesn't imply condemnation for another.

In no remote way is such a thing being posited by this guide....

This guide _is_ about those who _correct_ English speakers who naturally say "Low" when reading "Lowe" -- ergo, vis e vis concordantly: "Rob Lowe" and "Lowe's Hardware."

Your post is amiss....

FTFA:

Having recently overheard _yet_ another conversation wherein, one guy tries to tell another how to say, "Lowe"

ffs

Edit: Disclaimer updated for internet guy....

Montykoro #19 Posted Jun 27 2012 - 03:38

Captain

• Players
  • 27242 battles
It´s like this:

http://epicponyz.fil...coolhuhwhip.jpg

Mieter #20 Posted Jul 06 2012 - 04:17

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4228 battles
  • [-FG-] -FG-
Well, then say Lion. Lol.

It's just like Cordon Bleu... no, it's not Cordon Blue. If you want to say Blue, then say "Blue Ribbon", because that's what it means.
Never understood why do people keep using the original word, if they can't say it correctly. Translate it to your own language, and say it like that. Easy as pie ;) - exceptions do exist however, such as names of people and some cities.

Carry on!

Also tagged with Lowe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users