20 Questions Regarding AutoAim.

Autoaim aim Auto

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Helleri #1 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 23:45

Corporal

• Players
  • 5103 battles
I started this thread because I don't fully understand the autoaim feature. And, what answers I could find on my own and with some assistance were not nearly informative enough.

To be clear:
I did look through the 'Full User Guide", "Gameplay FAQ", "Wiki", And "Forums", In search of answer.

The 'Full UserGuide' didn't seem to cover this accept in the FAQ for Gameplay. The FAQ only said what the tutorial vidoes on the Forum said ("Hover the Cursror on a tank and right click to enable autoaim."). The Wiki had two incomplete unsourced articles.

I also asked a few times over the past couple months in General Chat In-Game (Garage not in match). The answer I recieved were actually mixed. And in General the p[ace of chat was too quick to get them all answered.

So, I hope this thread will get me all my answers. I put it in a Q&A Y/N Kind of Format (as I have a good number of questions soley regarding this. I figure this is the easiest manner in which to present them and have them answered). So it is more of a questionaire of sorts. If you are interested in helping me understand this better (and likely others)..,

This is How this is meant to work:

Please copy the below field and past it into a reply (Filling in the blank Answer fields (e.i.  A1: X, A2: X etc.).

Please use 'Y.' (for Yes) or 'N.' (for No). And, if you are Unsure on a question, please state so with a 'Don't Know'.

Any thing you feel needs more explination, please tack onto the end (referencing the Question number). Also please append anything you feel wasn't covered.

Additionally feel free to give lerss condensed answers for the questions marked as '(opinionative)'.

Thank you : ) And Here it is (finally...ikr?):

Q1:    Is auto-aim active by default at the start of a new match?
A1:

Q2:   Can the defualt setting for autoaim being on/off, for a new match be changed?
A2:

Q3:   Is th ere a setting to perminantly disable autoaim?
A3:  

Q4: Is  there an icon, light, sound etc. that indicates autoaim is on when it is activated?
A4:

Q5: Once activated is the autoaim active only for the instance it is used (Instance being defined here, as the space between highlighting a target and no longer highlighting a target. Thusly going passive when a target is not highlighted, but still technically on)?
A5:

Q6: When not hovered on a tank can autoaim cause the sight to jump to nearby non-tank objects (things the retical touches like buildings, non-tank vehicles, and destroyed tanks)?
QA:

Q7: Does having autoaim on forbid the possibility of hitting a target with blind fire when it leaves view range, or it's camo becomes active?
A7:

Q8: Does autoaim work in sniper mode?
A8:

Q9: Does assigning an autoaim hotkey overide, the right clicking ability to activate it (to the point where it will not activate with righclick, but only the hotkey. As apposed to working in an Either/Or fashion with the hotkey)?
A9:

Q10: Can autoaim experience interuptions when going over rough or an even terrain?
A10:

Q11: Does holding down rightclick enable Autoaim (as apposed to single clicking to enable it)?
A11:

Q12: Does Single clicking enable Autoaim (as apposed to holding down right clicking while firing)?
A12:

Q13: Can which mousebutton handles autoaim vs. firing be swapped with in game settings?
A13:

Q15:  Is autoaim (as the video tutorials would imply) Only effective at close range in fast paced combat?
A15:

Q16: (opinionative) : Is auto aim nearly  a crutch and field of play leveler, for for less experienced or skilled players (as apposed to having high value uses for even the very skilled and experienced player)?
A16:

Q17 (opinionative): Taking into account all things known to you about the game, is autoaim as good as it could be?
A17:

Q18 (opinionative): As it stands is autoaim nescessary to the game?
A18:

Q19 (opinionative): Should autoaim be left off most of the time?
A19:

Q20: Are there any heavy visual differences when highlighted on a tank with autoaim on as apposed to off?
A20 (if so please describe it/provide pictured examples if able):

ForcestormX #2 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 23:50

Major

• Players
  • 10420 battles
Posting, then answering in an edit, just so I can reduce the scrolling here.

A1:   No.
A2:   Default is fixed at always off.
A3:   No, but it must always be manually activated.
A4:   Sound bite from crew, plus the fixed nature of the reticle. Further sound bite when it turns off.
A5:   When the target is no longer spotted, autoaim deactivates automatically.
A6:   In theory, no. It follows the center mass precisely. However, there must be a clear Line-of-Sight to activate auto-aim in the first place.
A7:   No, for the aforementioned deactivation reason. If the reticule is kept stationary, a blind shot is possible - as long as you believe they did not move.
A8:   Yes
A9:   No clue, but I don't think WoT allows more than one command per key binding.
A10: No, but that does not prevent the ground from eating the shot.
A11: Yes.
A12: Yes.
A13: Yes.
No question 14.
A15: That is the best place to use it for an experienced player. However, for very long shots, sometimes to maximize hit chance it is better to use autoaim, as it would automatically put the aimpoint on center mass - maximizing area that can be hit. The best times are debatable - personal experience is probably best, I for one prefer manual aim almost exclusively.
A16: Not in my opinion.
A17: Of course not, as the default aimpoint is normally the heaviest-armored of most tanks - but that is what encourages people to not be reliant on it and learn2shoot.
A18: Yes and no. I would have used it early on in my career, but I couldn't get it to work ( :Smile_smile: ). It serves a function, nothing more.
A19: Yes. Select it only when you know it's a good choice to use it.
A20: Other than the eerie independence of your sight from the mouse, no.

Hope this helped.

Edited by ForcestormX, Jun 18 2012 - 00:02.

IotaOmicron #3 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 23:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7323 battles
  • [QUOX] QUOX
U just right click on something....thats auto aim....to enable it u right click an enemy tank and to disable it u aim off and right click...simple :Smile_Default:

P.S. u only need to click once no need to hold ( I personally only use auto aim in a scout running close by arty so i can pay attention to evasive maneuvering. )   :Smile_blinky:

Edited by IotaOmicron, Jun 17 2012 - 23:54.

Lert #4 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 23:53

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44867 battles
A1: N.
A2: N.
A3: N.
A4: Y. The crew will say something when you turn on autoaim.
A5: Y. It's active only for that time.
A6: N. When not hovered on a tank, turning auto-aim on does nothing.
A7: N.
A8: Y.
A9: I don't know.
A10: Interruptions, no. It will still try to aim at the target. If the target goes outside of the movement limits of your gun (Traverse / elevation) it won't be aiming at the target, but it won't turn off.
A11: N.
A12: Y.
A13: I don't know.
A14: Where's question 14?
A15: Define 'effective'? It aims at the target, center-mass. Regardless of range.
A16: Auto-aim has its use, mostly when you need to concentrate on driving more than aiming. This is rate, unless at knife-fighting range vs tanks with weak armor.
A17: It's as good as it should be.
A18: N.
A19: Y.
A20: Y. Your barrel follows the target instead of your mouse.

Pikachu21 #5 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 23:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 1390 battles
Q1: Is auto-aim active by default at the start of a new match?
A1:N

Q2: Can the defualt setting for autoaim being on/off, for a new match be changed?
A2:N

Q3: Is th ere a setting to perminantly disable autoaim?
A3: N

Q4: Is there an icon, light, sound etc. that indicates autoaim is on when it is activated?
A4:Y

Q5: Once activated is the autoaim active only for the instance it is used (Instance being defined here, as the space between highlighting a target and no longer highlighting a target. Thusly going passive when a target is not highlighted, but still technically on)?
A5:Y

Q6: When not hovered on a tank can autoaim cause the sight to jump to nearby non-tank objects (things the retical touches like buildings, non-tank vehicles, and destroyed tanks)?
QA:N

Q7: Does having autoaim on forbid the possibility of hitting a target with blind fire when it leaves view range, or it's camo becomes active?
A7:N

A8:Y

Q9: Does assigning an autoaim hotkey overide, the right clicking ability to activate it (to the point where it will not activate with righclick, but only the hotkey. As apposed to working in an Either/Or fashion with the hotkey)?
A9:IDK

Q10: Can autoaim experience interuptions when going over rough or an even terrain?
A10:Y

Q11: Does holding down rightclick enable Autoaim (as apposed to single clicking to enable it)?
A11:N

Q12: Does Single clicking enable Autoaim (as apposed to holding down right clicking while firing)?
A12:Y

Q13: Can which mousebutton handles autoaim vs. firing be swapped with in game settings?
A13:IDK

Q15: Is autoaim (as the video tutorials would imply) Only effective at close range in fast paced combat?
A15:N

Q16: (opinionative) : Is auto aim nearly a crutch and field of play leveler, for for less experienced or skilled players (as apposed to having high value uses for even the very skilled and experienced player)?
A16:Y

Q17 (opinionative): Taking into account all things known to you about the game, is autoaim as good as it could be?
A17:N

A18:Y

A19:Y

Q20: Are there any heavy visual differences when highlighted on a tank with autoaim on as apposed to off?
A20 (if so please describe it/provide pictured examples if able):N

nui_vu #6 Posted Jun 17 2012 - 23:58

Captain

• Players
  • 12418 battles
A1:N

Q2: Can the defualt setting for autoaim being on/off, for a new match be changed?
A2:N

A3: N

Q4: Is there an icon.., light, sound etc. that indicates autoaim is on when it is activated?
A4:Y

A5:Y

QA:N

A7:N

A8:Y

A9: you can assign auto aim hot key?

A10:Y

A11:N

A12:Y

A13: dont know

Q15: Is autoaim (as the video tutorials would imply) Only effective at close range in fast paced combat?
A15:N

Q16: (opinionative) : Is auto aim nearly a crutch and field of play leveler, for for less experienced or skilled players (as apposed to having high value uses for even the very skilled and experienced player)?
A16:Y

A17:N

A18:Y

A19:Y- for new players and for lights/mediums

A20 (if so please describe it/provide pictured examples if able):N

atsiv #7 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21745 battles
  • [-SSS-] -SSS-
auto aim aims at the turrent of the enemy tank.you will most likely bounce shots when you use it unless you know you can pen it.I NEVER use it

strelkov16 #8 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 21274 battles
  • [-EC-] -EC-
A1:no you have to turn it on while aimed at a tank

A2: you can change witch button turns it on

A3:  don't set up a button for it?

Q4: Is there an icon, light, sound etc. that indicates autoaim is on when it is activated?
A4: your crew tell you

A5: stays on till your turn it off,lose sight of the enemy ,or they get destroyed

QA: Auto aim keeps the gun aimed right for the center of the enemy tank aiming at the tanks cover if it gets in the way

A7: auto aim will turn off if you lose sight of them

A8: yes

A9: if you change it's button the button will change

A10: yes it will aim at the enemy so if a hill get in the way you will aim at it

A11: has far has i know it's just single click

A12:  has far has i know it's just single click

A13: i think so

A15:i only use it if i just need to hit the guy to damage him i.e. can pen or damage any where

A16: i very rarely use it

A17: it's has good has it should be

A18:not even a little

A19: i'd say yes

A20 (if so please describe it/provide pictured examples if able): i find some tanks aim faster but that could just be in my mind

Helleri #9 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 5103 battles
Wow, this is answering a lot for me... Seems a few were out of the know on one or two of those as much as I was as well. I especially liked being told about the crew informing me as to weather it is on or not (never noticed that i will need to pay more attention to the things my crew is saying). Thank you all for the fast response on this.

Young_otter_91 #10 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13604 battles
  • [PONYS] PONYS
auto aim should always be left off....it points at middle of tank regardless if its a thick armored/highly angled spot and if the target is moving your chance of actually damaging the target drops even more.

The pro's never use auto aim because no matter the situation aiming yourself means you'll do more damage (aim at engine for nice human BBQ) or even stay alive longer since you can aim at the tracks and if in scout circle him better since you can keep him tracked.

Edited by thefordgt4090, Jun 18 2012 - 00:38.

nui_vu #11 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:09

Captain

• Players
  • 12418 battles

View Postthefordgt4090, on Jun 18 2012 - 00:05, said:

auto aim should always be left off....it points at middle of tank regardless if its a thick armored/highly angled spot and if the target is moving your chance of actually damaging the target drops even more.

The pro's never use auto aim
you use auto aim in a light or a medium if you are gunna circle a heavy

Helleri #12 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 5103 battles
So I guess that is why auto aim, if used. is not for firing accurately then. But it seems it would be useful for a scout, or possibly someone who lays down the close range damage while moving quickly and evassively? I guess it is seeming to me that auto aims effective use depends on the kind of tank you are in and if you are using the tank your in as you should?

Edited by Helleri, Jun 18 2012 - 00:12.

Nugwan #13 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 6877 battles
I only use it when scouting arty or running for my life when people come back to defend their arty.

Young_otter_91 #14 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:22

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13604 battles
  • [PONYS] PONYS

View Postlaxrules56, on Jun 18 2012 - 00:09, said:

you use auto aim in a light or a medium if you are gunna circle a heavy

I dont...its really esy to aim mouse (or mouse pad in my case) at the tank i am circling and this allows me to hit any part i would want to hit....tracks so he can only move turret then move to weak spots and avoid angled armor to insure a penetrate...you can do all that without auto aim and be more effective.

Edited by thefordgt4090, Jun 18 2012 - 00:22.

Hogan_ #15 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 49252 battles
i use auto aim to  keep a target when im relaocting then i take it off aim and fire, not always but when i feel its needed

Edited by hogan312, Jun 18 2012 - 00:23.

Young_otter_91 #16 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:25

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13604 battles
  • [PONYS] PONYS

View PostHelleri, on Jun 18 2012 - 00:11, said:

So I guess that is why auto aim, if used. is not for firing accurately then. But it seems it would be useful for a scout, or possibly someone who lays down the close range damage while moving quickly and evassively? I guess it is seeming to me that auto aims effective use depends on the kind of tank you are in and if you are using the tank your in as you should?

If your in a tank that can pen any part of the enemy your firing at then auto aim is "ok" but its not effective at all cause it points at center of tank weither that part is thick armor or highly angled. Your much better off pointing gun at enemy yourself.

madgod33 #17 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14593 battles
Q1:  Is auto-aim active by default at the start of a new match?
A1: NO

A2: YES

Q3: Is there a setting to permanently disable autoaim?
A3: I don't know, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

A4: Voice cues for on and off

A5: It is on as olng as the target is in sight, or until you turn it off.

QA: Autoaim only focuses on the target, whether you are "looking" that way or not. It doesn't affect your normal point of view.

Q7: Does having autoaim on forbid the possibility of hitting a target with blind fire when it leaves view range, or its camo becomes active?
A7: Autoaim will go off if the target is no longer visible.

A8: It doesn't need/use sniper mode, but you can set it in sniper mode.

A9: Whatever key you choose overrides the default.

A10: If the target goes out of sight, autoaim will go off.

A11: Single click only.

A12: Yes

A13: Yes, but I'd hate to do it!

A15: Pretty much so. It's not very useful otherwise, becuse it's not precise enough.

A16: No, but it is abused that way. It really should be used only for on-the-fly shooting.

A17: Yes. It works as intended :Smile_veryhappy:

Q18 (opinionative): As it stands is autoaim necessary to the game?
A18: It's mighty handy sometimes. Considering that the driver and the gunner are separate imaginary individuals, it makes great sense. Speeding scout tanks can barely aim well enough to shoot once; using that one opportunity to set autoaim gives them a better chance.

A19: YES! Use it only when there is no alternative. Aiming carefully will almost always do more damage.

A20 (if so please describe it/provide pictured examples if able):  No

nickels2011 #18 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 00:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8431 battles
  • [LWIZ] LWIZ
unless your hand twitches while u are aiming then use auto aim

Helleri #19 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 01:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 5103 battles
it seems most people posting here are generally in agreeance. Every one does have a slightly different take on the opinionative questions. Which to me means there is a lot more to that, to be discussed. But, also on a couple questions a few people seem to be of radically different opinions...

So I'd like to ask now. What are peoples opinions here more based on; Personal experience, or souced information (if so please do provide the source should you find it helpfull, because I couldn't find it)?

Edited by Helleri, Jun 18 2012 - 01:02.

Ostertallninny #20 Posted Jun 18 2012 - 03:01

Major

• Players
  • 8001 battles
Auto aim is a sort of crutch at the beginning of your WoT experience...  But auto aim does have some good uses. One is with scout tanks. You almost CANNOT drive and shoot at 70 Kmh. I use it while scouting. Another use for Auto aim is Extremely longe range shots. Another one is in third person mode when you pop out and shoot. The auto aim keeps the damn gun DOWN... Because in manual it keeps the gun up for some strange reason.

Also tagged with Autoaim, aim, Auto

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users