Jump to content


Gold Rounds

Gold Rounds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

Sativola #1 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 19:36

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 15067 battles
  • 28
  • [RXR] RXR
  • Member since:
    02-06-2011
I love my T28. I've noticed if I'm at medium to long range, it's pretty bouncy from the front. The other day, a Lowe and I were trading shots. I have my 120mm and was making good work of him. He, however was bouncing right and left. I was a 900 or 1000 hp and WHAMMO. He hit me. penetrated the same place he had been bouncing and killed me - with a 900 or 1000 hp shot. I assumed he got frustrated and toss a gold round my way. Maybe I got hit at the same time with an Arty shell or something, But it sure seemed the entire damage came from his cannon with glittering gold revenge.

On another match the same day. a T30 was flamboyant with his use of gold rounds. Saying "tossing gold out boys" and "Surprise! The POWAR of gold" he was moping up the field, often two shotting same tier and lower.Including me from range... The rest of the team backed away and we ended up losing the match.

Is it me, or is the use of gold rounds in pugs more prevalent lately?

I know it is another source of a revenue stream and I know it will always be a part of WoT... But, it certainly seems to be a Pay To Win card. If someone is out performed or outskilled, the load a gold coin and bingo!

/Rant over

MaxL_1023 #2 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 19:40

    Major

  • Players
  • 30032 battles
  • 2,477
  • Member since:
    07-15-2011
The Lowe got lucky - gold rounds do the same 320 average but simply have more penetration. The T30 using gold ammo is wasting money, as there are only a few tanks in the game that can reliably bounce the 155mm and they are all tier 9 or 10. It is lower tier tanks using gold to penetrate high tier tanks that messes up the mechanics.

MisterPatriot #3 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 19:40

    Major

  • Wiki Staff
  • 16724 battles
  • 6,660
  • Member since:
    01-19-2011
Play the 38H 735(f), or Tetrarch, or any other similar tier 2's, and you will see other 38H 735(f)'s using gold rounds on other 38H 735(f)'s or H35's.

frostys #4 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 19:40

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 7951 battles
  • 531
  • Member since:
    04-01-2011

View PostSativola, on Jun 20 2012 - 19:36, said:

I love my T28. I've noticed if I'm at medium to long range, it's pretty bouncy from the front. The other day, a Lowe and I were trading shots. I have my 120mm and was making good work of him. He, however was bouncing right and left. I was a 900 or 1000 hp and WHAMMO. He hit me. penetrated the same place he had been bouncing and killed me - with a 900 or 1000 hp shot. I assumed he got frustrated and toss a gold round my way. Maybe I got hit at the same time with an Arty shell or something, But it sure seemed the entire damage came from his cannon with glittering gold revenge.

On another match the same day. a T30 was flamboyant with his use of gold rounds. Saying "tossing gold out boys" and "Surprise! The POWAR of gold" he was moping up the field, often two shotting same tier and lower.Including me from range... The rest of the team backed away and we ended up losing the match.

Is it me, or is the use of gold rounds in pugs more prevalent lately?

I know it is another source of a revenue stream and I know it will always be a part of WoT... But, it certainly seems to be a Pay To Win card. If someone is out performed or outskilled, the load a gold coin and bingo!

/Rant over

You got ammo racked. It's a possibility of an instant one shot kill.The added penetration on gold round is not all whats it's piped up to be. Yes there is an advantage but it's not as big as some people make it out to be.

Puddy70s #5 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 19:42

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 8167 battles
  • 590
  • Member since:
    05-16-2011
There not so good, you must try them, better pen but same damage generally as your ap rounds.

You prolly got ammo racked or hit by a second round, use a good damage panel to see to this in the future.

_Gun_ #6 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 19:52

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 9280 battles
  • 154
  • [TOON] TOON
  • Member since:
    11-06-2011
Well, the point of T28 is its reliable frontal armor.
And when that advantage is gone you are no different than a french tank. I understand your frustration and I hate gold rounds as well (Bad MM is already enough to keep me frustrated).

Edited by _Gun_, Jun 20 2012 - 19:53.


darkdog9 #7 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 19:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 6516 battles
  • 1,302
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011
All rounds have a +/- of 25% penetration(same with damage) so it could have been a lucky penetration roll. For the kill either you got ammo racked or shot by someone else gold rounds do not increase damage only penetration.

On a standard round a lowe has a pentration range of 175-293 and gold rounds 220-367

Edited by darkdog9, Jun 20 2012 - 20:04.


Sativola #8 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 20:00

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 15067 battles
  • 28
  • [RXR] RXR
  • Member since:
    02-06-2011
Thank you all for the nice replies. I'll have to look into a damage panel mod. I didn't know they existed.

SirBarnick #9 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 21:17

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 15664 battles
  • 925
  • Member since:
    01-28-2011
As others said, 99.9%* of gold rounds do not do more damage.  Usually a modest uptick (~15-20%) in penetration which can, of course, still fail to penetrate when shot at sloped armor.

In your Lowe you got ammo racked.  Bummer, but it happens.  Gold not necessarily a factor.

The T30 does absolutely insane damage with great penetration without using gold.  If memory serves, average damage is 750... so 2 regular rounds will kill quite a few vehicles in the game.  Kind of silly for a T30 to use gold rounds in a pub match since he most likely already going to pen everything and those rounds are pretty pricey.  (Chances are the player had used it in Clan Wars recently and forgot to change his loadout before entering a pub match.  Happens to me on occasion.)

Lots of people complain that gold is "pay 2 win" but even an ounce of logic will refute that.  In skilled hands the gold rounds just ensure what was most likely going to happen anyway: penetration (meaning that skilled players know where to shoot with regular rounds, gold just helps negate a really terrible RNG result).  In unskilled hands the gold rounds will still bounce because no amount of soft metal will penetrate a mantlet.


* The gold rounds for the konisch, a gun available on the VK3601, does indeed add more damage.  Its the only such round in existence (of which I am aware).

Edited by SirBarnick, Jun 20 2012 - 21:22.


gutted #10 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 21:23

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 1672 battles
  • 20
  • Member since:
    06-07-2011

View PostM18HellCat, on Jun 20 2012 - 19:40, said:

Play the 38H 735(f), or Tetrarch, or any other similar tier 2's, and you will see other 38H 735(f)'s using gold rounds on other 38H 735(f)'s or H35's.

I admit I keep a few gold rounds in my 35(f) just for other 35(fs) and H35's.  Other than that, I save the gold rounds for CW.  Don't really see the point.

Mattar19K #11 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 21:25

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 9168 battles
  • 625
  • Member since:
    10-01-2011

View PostSirBarnick, on Jun 20 2012 - 21:17, said:

* The gold rounds for the konisch, a gun available on the VK3601, does indeed add more damage.  Its the only such round in existence (of which I am aware).

For this reason alone, before I sell it off and move up to a Tiger, I am going to load five or ten gold rounds into the konisch and take it into a couple of battles.

I have never used gold ammo.  This will be a one-time fun deal.  :)

Quillan668 #12 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 21:28

    Captain

  • Players
  • 4650 battles
  • 1,523
  • Member since:
    11-02-2011
The Lowe CANNOT do 1000 damage with any shell unless it detonates an ammo rack. It was either an ammo rack hit or a combined hit that showed as one set of damage (which the stock OTM does). The max damage on an AP or APCR round is 400 points normally.

As far as the T30 goes, he was probably trolling. That gun has plenty of pen without gold, and there are a remarkably large group of people playing the game who don't realize the stats on the various tanks. Someone had a thread up yesterday with some screenshots of a Type 59 player accusing an M103 driver of using gold because he penetrated the front turret of the Type. Somehow the thought of 200mm armor < 260mm average penetration never occurred to him.

KarmaRaid #13 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 21:29

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 4291 battles
  • 396
  • Member since:
    07-10-2011
He might have been trolling. If I manage to get a lucky pen or even an ammo rack hit I sometimes write "Man those gold rounds rock!!!" in general chat. The subsequent rage is usually hillarious.

Edited by KarmaRaid, Jun 20 2012 - 21:29.


djb_95 #14 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 21:51

    Major

  • Players
  • 49783 battles
  • 2,660
  • [FRGLS] FRGLS
  • Member since:
    02-24-2012
I thought there were more guns that had a damage increase with gold rounds, but I was mistaken.  I checked the Tankopedia and none of my tanks gets bonus damage with gold.

The M58 gun on the T110E5 get an absolutely sick 381 penetration shooting gold.  Be hard to bounce a gold round from that gun no matter what tank you are in.  But the damage is still the same 400.

Qumefox #15 Posted Jun 20 2012 - 21:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 14263 battles
  • 5,209
  • [PBKAC] PBKAC
  • Member since:
    09-06-2011
The lowe just got lucky and ammoracked you,

The T30 was likely just trolling. You don't really need gold in that tank to take out pretty much anything else. He was probably just trying to stir up a reaction.

Puddy70s #16 Posted Jun 21 2012 - 03:24

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 8167 battles
  • 590
  • Member since:
    05-16-2011

View PostSativola, on Jun 20 2012 - 20:00, said:

Thank you all for the nice replies. I'll have to look into a damage panel mod. I didn't know they existed.
Ask and yee shall receive

http://www.mediafire...m9z7q70llklnqsx

death666grim #17 Posted Jun 21 2012 - 03:47

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 6701 battles
  • 1,581
  • Member since:
    01-14-2011

View Postdjb_95, on Jun 20 2012 - 21:51, said:

I thought there were more guns that had a damage increase with gold rounds, but I was mistaken.  I checked the Tankopedia and none of my tanks gets bonus damage with gold.

The M58 gun on the T110E5 get an absolutely sick 381 penetration shooting gold.  Be hard to bounce a gold round from that gun no matter what tank you are in.  But the damage is still the same 400.

is-4/is-8 both get 400mm HEAT. I don't think there is tanks you can't pen with is-4 gold...

MaxMike #18 Posted Jun 21 2012 - 04:02

    Major

  • Players
  • 16349 battles
  • 3,433
  • Member since:
    06-12-2011
The Lowe ammo racked you and the T30 messed with your mind, you do not need gold to two shot tanks in a T30.

Idol #19 Posted Jun 21 2012 - 04:37

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 19262 battles
  • 56
  • Member since:
    04-22-2011
Gold rounds will bounce too so it's a waste of money. You don't need them to win.

SirBarnick #20 Posted Jun 21 2012 - 17:02

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 15664 battles
  • 925
  • Member since:
    01-28-2011

View Postdeath666grim, on Jun 21 2012 - 03:47, said:

is-4/is-8 both get 400mm HEAT. I don't think there is tanks you can't pen with is-4 gold...

Sadly they can indeed still bounce.  Granted, most of them will penetrate, but when you fire at range you can't really target a specific angle of armor with any accuracy and if the round hits a bad slope then it will bounce or fail to pen.

But yes, that is some pretty high pen.