worth while going for tiger?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

shadowcreaper #1 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 13:08

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
So i thought german TD was crappy so my thoguhts were lets try heavy tree.

the more i read and see i wondering if this game more than slightly biased to russian tanks..

Question is:

Is it worth carrying on in my 601H and going down the heavy tree?

Or should i scrap what i got and leave it as 601h and go for russian heavy line?

I ask this as i see german heavys all the time getting destroyed and look at their "amazing" 88mm guns which supposed to be the best gun in WW2 get owned by IS tanks and their historically poor guns...

so should i carry on with german heavy as it will get better or not?

Goodwill #2 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 13:16

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Tiger seems to be fixed next patch and Tiger 2 is a great tank.  In release tree E series will be great too!

They are ok.  I have both Tiger and IS and they are both different styles of play.  The Tiger you need to sit back a bit and take things from a distance, whereas the IS is great at dogfighting.

Zieten #3 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 13:18

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
i guess it comes down to this (btw - german TDs surely are NOT crappy):
how much time do you want to invest?
the german heavy tree has one shiny jewel called the Tiger II. in my oppinion one of the most well balanced tanks ingame and much fun to play (yet quite expensive because of the high cost of the 10,5 ammo).
yet, the VK4502 is, from my experience, just not worth its exp or money.
sooo..if you're not planning on going down to tier IX or X - the german heavy tree is well worth it. if you're planning on going all the way down, the russian tree is the way to go.
but, to put a warning ahead: stock Tiger I is a PITA ;)

strata89 #4 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 13:18

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Tiger is good, tiger II is even better (IS and IS3 are easy kill for me). I dont have VK4502P yet but i dont care about all this whining here, i noticed almost everyone here thinks his tanks is worse than other nation counter.

Nimble #5 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 13:41

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The tiger rocks when its upgraded  :Smile-izmena:

shadowcreaper #6 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 14:17

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
sory but german td is crappy apart from jag tiger i hear, and the low teirs r very good but rest r lol.

thanks for know how, it sounds good if tiger is more camping than IS, i think IS has a better deflection rate than tiger correct? sinse their turrets seem to be better than hull armour.

i heard though that tiger needs to use gold shell ammo to be decent at killing IS+ and above is this true or just rubbish?

i dont fancy going aust b i just want the history tanks, like tiger /king tiger, dont want to get into the world of fantasy tanks.

maus = lol why bother.

where the final release tech trees to be found by the way?

jackal40 #7 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 14:33

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 7136 battles
I took the time to grind up to the Tiger I - and I was disappointed with it. Out of the box (no upgrades) it sucks. Looking at how many exp I was earning vs how much to upgrade, I sold it and am concentrating on getting the Panther.

Just my opinion, yours may differ.

Zieten #8 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 15:26

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postjackal40, on Oct 13 2010 - 14:33, said:

I took the time to grind up to the Tiger I - and I was disappointed with it. Out of the box (no upgrades) it sucks. Looking at how many exp I was earning vs how much to upgrade, I sold it and am concentrating on getting the Panther.

the Panther is even worse out of the box than the Tiger - so be prepared ;)

jackal40 #9 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 15:30

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 7136 battles

View PostZieten, on Oct 13 2010 - 15:26, said:

Hopefully, the upgrade won't be as expensive as the tiger. I'm not holding my breath though.

Zieten #10 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 15:36

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postjackal40, on Oct 13 2010 - 15:30, said:

View PostZieten, on Oct 13 2010 - 15:26, said:

Hopefully, the upgrade won't be as expensive as the tiger. I'm not holding my breath though.

you bet that it will be more expensive - its higher tier

Hazardz #11 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 15:46

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The Russian heavy tanks are preferred over their German conterparts for a few reasons.

1- They are far more manoeuvrable and with artillery lighting up any heavies they see you really need to be able to move swiftly.

2- Generally the Russian tanks deflect far more shells than the German tanks due to more sloped surfaces.

3- Tiger I has serious module dmg issues and is really frustrating when ammo rack or turret gets broken from shots that bounce off. I know Russian tanks have these issues as well but the Tiger really is frustrating at times. According to devs hitbox is going to be changed to help relieve some of these issues.

4- The IS gets a superb choice of weapons with the 107 zis, D10T and 122mm all being great weapons

5- The 88mm German guns seem to ding far more often than comparable Russian weapons and they feel underpowered when an IS shoots you in the face with a 122mm shell and you go pop.

6- the 105mm shells are expensive.....not a reason to moan but people do. The Long 10.5 is an awesome cannon and I really enjoyed mine on the Tiger II.

7- IS4 is awesome. Way too good for its tier and is huge step up from IS3 and overshadows VK4502. Not that far off the IS7 on the battle field.

8- IS7 is awesome.

9- VK4502 is "meh I have dmged/killed a few of those in my PZ IV / VK / KV / T34 /etc" . All round not a great tank like IS4 is.

10- Maus "OMG its hhuuugggeee" ( 5 mins later ) "OMG it cannot move and artillery have blown it to pieces"

Feel free to add your own reasons but for me they are the main ones as to why I am working my way down the Russian heavy tree. Having a JagdTiger and T44 I am pretty much aware of which tanks I fear or am wary off and tbh most of them are not German.

There may be another reason I have seen a rash of KV's recently and that is the S51. I am not going for one but are a lot of other people grinding out the 144k exp needed for that artillery piece ?

P.S. To answer your question directly Shadowcreeper. Yes the Tiger has issues but once fully upgraded it can be very effective and fun to play. The Tiger II is awesome so if you are happy staying at Tier 8 then do it. If you want a better tank than the Tiger II then you have to go for an IS4/IS7 I am afraid because the VK4502 and Maus are not worth the grind imho

Tanitha #12 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 16:00

Major

• WG Staff
  • 2405 battles
I have a slightly different opinion to above,
And to give you a idea Ive played the tiger, tiger II and vk4502 a lot and have all three at Elite..

I found the tiger a bit weak and slow. But then again its not that high a level, its only a tier 7..
Medium tanks like the Panther and T44 are tier 8 and can kill it easily.
And the IS series IS3 IS4 IS7 can kill it easily too, but they are tier 8-9-10 so again above the tiger's tier.
It might be a heavy and one of the best tanks of WWII but in game its not that high/good..

The tiger II was a bit better, but then again its a tier higher. So obviously it is..
While I was playing the tiger's/tiger II's I was always thinking wtf am i doing in these crappy tanks, The russian tanks look so much better on the battlefield. Maybe it was just a case of "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" But I'm grinding the Russian heavy's at the moment to see the difference : )

The Vk4502 was a dog out of the box, much worse than a "out of the box" tiger and tiger II.
And to upgrade it, wow what a horrible grind, upgrades are expensive on T9's : )
But when its upgraded and decked out, Its a great tank. I love it, I much prefer playing the VK4502 than playing the tiger or tiger 2. But that took about 250+ games to get to liking it.

And i believe the Vk4502 decked out to be comparable to the IS4 power wise.
Where as I conciser the Tiger and Tiger II's to to be fairly underpowered compared to their Russian counterparts.
Most people above don't like the Vk4502 and prefer the tiger II.
I think this is simply because the Vk4502 is such a long grind they haven't maxed it out and filled it with equipment yet.
And tier 9's don't make much cash either..
And the enemy VK4502's that people meet on the battlefield and shoot, Are probably stock ones that are really bad.
Facing a decked out one is a lot different, and uncommon.

Its true I said I found the tiger slow, but don't find the Vk4502 slow (even though its slower) because the Vk4502 is armored to hell.

Also Its Beta at the moment, So expect tweaking and balancing to happen often. Whats the better tank at the moment, might not be at release.

To answer your question. I don't know  :blink:  , but its only Beta and everything will get wiped, So it doesn't really matter what side you look at during beta really.

And... all things being the way they are at the moment, I'll be going Russian on release.

Elysion #13 Posted Oct 13 2010 - 23:26

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 6366 battles
  • [KUMA] KUMA
The long 88 is a good gun, and I originally decided "this is best gun, I don't want the later German guns, so ill just go panther", but panther is tier 8, tiger is tier 7. Tier 7 is a good tier. It's the last tier that is easy going and not a hassle and you can actually make some money while playing.

I like the tiger. Compared to DB, the DB makes better cash and exp, but i think the calculation for money/exp rewards is offset for heavies vs mediums the same way that mediums are always listed lower on the list than heavies, which kind of sucks (my average exp:battle is like 100 higher on the DB, and I know I make more money with the DB, but I can honestly say I don't think im being less effective with the tiger as far as the hits I get in)

The tigers armor is kind of weak, but as long as you make your own angles with it and hang back some (let the guns accuracy work for you, that's part of the reason its such a great gun) its a nice tank.

Im on my third tiger now, I keep selling them, but I keep going back to them. They are just feel good.

DarkApostle #14 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 01:53

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10480 battles
  • [BURYU] BURYU

View Postshadowcreaper, on Oct 13 2010 - 14:17, said:

sory but german td is crappy apart from jag tiger i hear, and the low teirs r very good but rest r lol.

You 'hear', or you've tried?  The Stug and JP are great TD's, adn the Hetzer suffers mainly from being put in the wrong tier battles all the time.

As for the Tiger, great tank, that is getting some collision fixes with the patch, so should take less module damage by all accounts.

Shireknight #15 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 05:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
The chance to own a Tiger was the main attraction to the game when I heard about it, maybe I should run screaming from this thread now before someone posts something really bad about them  :D

DarkApostle #16 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 06:25

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10480 battles
  • [BURYU] BURYU
Shire ignore it, I did, and I love the Tiger. Every tank has it's problems. if you enjoy the tank for what it is, amazing as it seems not the POS everyone makes it out to be, and work around the problems, you'll have a great time.

VeRDAMMT #17 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 08:47

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I can tell you that the Tiger II is a kill machine, and the Tiger I can be a good moneymaker, especially with the premium. I am that much happy with my Tiger II that i am considering to don't go over  :Smile_harp:

Also the German TDs aren't bad... the ony sucky one is the jadgpzIV, Also, the german TDs aren't bad!

vs125r #18 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 09:25

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
one redeeming value of the tiger is that the long 88 is very accurate (same as the upgraded panther) over its russian rival (100mm on the is or is it 122mm?).

Skwabie #19 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 13:17

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 3 battles

View PostDarkApostle, on Oct 14 2010 - 01:53, said:

getting some collision fixes with the patch, so should take less module damage by all accounts.
just the turret jamming. So less module dmg on one system..... 7 more to go....

DarkApostle #20 Posted Oct 14 2010 - 13:56

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10480 battles
  • [BURYU] BURYU

View PostSkwabie, on Oct 14 2010 - 13:17, said:

View PostDarkApostle, on Oct 14 2010 - 01:53, said:

getting some collision fixes with the patch, so should take less module damage by all accounts.
just the turret jamming. So less module dmg on one system..... 7 more to go....

Ahh that it? Bollocks. Some of the russians have been posting saying they noticed less module damage *mutters*

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users