Jump to content


Tank Witches Quest 2: North Ifrike

Tank Witches Quest Interactive Game Witches Magic Many explosions Martians

  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
259 replies to this topic

Baron_de_Pencier #1 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:04

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3407 battles
  • 580
  • Member since:
    01-05-2011
Welcome, Fan Art forum members! This thread used to be in Off-topic, but now we've moved! Feel free to join in!
In 1939, the Martians invaded Europa. The European Allies have been retreating and cutting their losses ever since. The alien invaders tore a chunk out of north-western Germania, steamrollered Belgica and slowly crushed Gaule. It is now 1941. Two more Martian invasion forces have landed; one in eastern Sarmacia, close to the border with Kievanna, and one in the deserts of North Ifrike.
The Allied forces have begun to deploy increasing numbers of Combat Witches. These young women use their innate arcane powers to drive powerful Striker Units, turning them into dangerous and effective weapons of war.
You are Colonel Charlotte de Gaulle, field commander of the 2nd Armoured Witches Battalion. You are lying awake in bed, blinking. Something very large has just exploded outside. You hear furious shouting, in at least two female voices. The bright Qubtic sun shines through thick canvas of your tent.
You really, really don't want to get out of bed. What to do?
  • Examine self
  • Examine tent and its contents
  • Get out of bed and examine explosion
  • Listen more closely
  • Fall back to sleep
Welcome to part 2 of Tank Witches! For those of you who are new here, this is a freeform roleplaying game. You suggest what actions to take next, and decisions are reached by group consensus. The list of options up there are just suggestions; if you have a better idea of what to do, then by all means tell me! For convenience's sake, please separate discussions and commands via italics or something similar. Questions are welcome and will be answered ASAP.
Also, you can find Part one here: http://forum.worldof...-witches-quest/

The_Dutch_Oven #2 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:14

    Major

  • Players
  • 3005 battles
  • 4,784
  • Member since:
    07-17-2011
Fall back to sleep!

WolfofBattle #3 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:15

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 2807 battles
  • 193
  • Member since:
    04-15-2012
Examine the tent and its various contents.

MiniMaus #4 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:58

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 583 battles
  • 329
  • Member since:
    02-11-2012
^ What he said.

Baron_de_Pencier #5 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 17:12

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3407 battles
  • 580
  • Member since:
    01-05-2011

View PostWolfofBattle, on Jul 04 2012 - 05:15, said:

Examine the tent and its various contents.

View PostMiniMaus, on Jul 04 2012 - 05:58, said:

^ What he said.

Let's start with these two.

Your tent, is, as usual, a bit of a mess. Beyond the relative clear area of your cot, most of the space is filled with piles of books and maps. Many of the tomes are a little scorched and battered- the pull-out from Gaule didn't go too well. There is a small folding table with a mirror, a large canteen of water, a compact assortment of toiletries, and your Modèle 1935S service pistol.

Atop a particularely large pile is a series of blueprints and heavily annotated maps. The blueprints are for your new prototype G1 R Striker, which Louis Renault has been constantly building and rebuilding. He's given you a copy of his latest design plans for your 'constructive input', but knowing his temperament he'll probably ignore you anyways.

There is more shouting from outside, and a bullet whizzes through the roof of your tent. You haven't heard any Martian-related sounds, so frankly, you could care less. The rest of the Tank Witches will deal with it.

The maps, however... the maps are important. They represent the current planning documents for Operation Compass, the first Allied offensive against the Martians in North Ifrike. Leaning precariously out of bed, you snag the canteen and a handful of maps, pulling them back into bed with you to muzzily review. The Martians have just finished a major offensive; thankfully, they're not as well-established here as they are in Europa, so their forces aren't nearly as powerful. Heavy Martian fortifications have been set up in a line around and to the south of the smoking ruins of Sidi Barrani. For whatever reason, they've spaced them too far apart and overextended their line, meaning that with good timing and speed, a fast-moving force could sneak between several of the Martian forts and attack them from behind.

This is Operation Compass. The 2nd Armoured Witches, accompanied by various Laurentian and Oenotrian forces, will punch through the Martian line near Nibeiwa, destroying the Martian armour there by attacking from their north-western flank. You'll also be assisted by the 3rd Armoured Witches (Provisional), a new force of Germanian and Oenotrian Witches who are raring for their first engagement.

View PostThe_Dutch_Oven, on Jul 04 2012 - 05:14, said:

Fall back to sleep!

Satisfied that you know the planned offensive, you take a large sip of water. The shouting has stopped. Now all you hear is what might be two people whispering very obscene things to each other in Oenotrian and Gaullian. Ah. Bergonzoli and du Vigier had another fight then. What a couple, those two. Business as usual.

You roll over, pull a pillow across your ears and drift back to sleep.

...

"Good morning, Colonel! Or should I say good afternoon! Pip pip! Up and face the dawn and all that!"

The voice is gratingly loud and gratingly Albionnic. Urgh.
  • Mmmmmmrf. Go away.
  • Whoizzit.
  • *Sigh* Get out of bed.


Final_Spark #6 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 19:01

    Captain

  • Special Beta Testers
  • 20840 battles
  • 1,335
  • Member since:
    04-06-2010
Mmmmmmrf.

Slot_3 #7 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 19:48

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 9098 battles
  • 571
  • Member since:
    09-10-2010
Initiate masturbation.

Baron_de_Pencier #8 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 21:41

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3407 battles
  • 580
  • Member since:
    01-05-2011

View PostCadyshack, on Jul 04 2012 - 19:01, said:

Mmmmmmrf.

Okay!

View PostSlot_3, on Jul 04 2012 - 19:48, said:

Initiate masturbation.

Spoken like someone who reads quests on the 'chan. Also, not mutually exculsive, so let's do this.

You snuggle further deeper into the blankets, scrunching your eyes shut.

"Mmmmmmmmmmrf," you explain. Furthermore, "g'way."

"Colonel de Gaulle! It's a lovely, hotter-than-hell day outside and you're missing it! Up with you."

Still very much not awake, you say the first thing that comes to your mind. Anything to get this lady to leave, whoever she is.

"G'way. M'batin'."

The Albionnic voice sighs. Wait a minute. Even with your sleepy stupor you know who this is. It's-

"Colonel de Gaulle, that is hardly becoming of a lady and a soldier! While I can appreciate the need to reduce stress on the battlefield, your conduct necessitates drastic measures."

"Wha-?"

Something hits the duckboard floor of the tent with a clonk. It's the sound of wood on wood. Almost like- Almost like a polo mallet. Oh, shit. It's Major Leigh, your second-in-command. There is a rustle of cloth, like someone drawing their arm back. You try to sit up, entangled in the blankets.

"Geraldine, wait no don't-"

Too late. You know what's coming. As the mallet whoooshes through the air, you hear her intone

"Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense!"

KZZZZZAAAAAAAPTHUNK

The arcanically-imbued mallet slices two of the legs of your cot off. It collapses, sending you rolling across the floor. Leigh's legs stop you, and you end up in an undignified heap at your feet. She leans down at you and smiles mischeviously.

"Good morning, Colonel de Gaulle!"

She does an overexaggerated double take and checks her watch.

"Ah. My mistake. Good afternoon, Colonel de Gaulle. I'm well aware you've spent the past three days on reconnaissance, but we have an attack to prepare for! Up with you! I'll meet you in the mess in ten."

Without another word, she turns around and practically skips out of the tent.

Okay. You're very much awake now, whether you like it or not. And lunch doesn't seem like a bad idea.
  • Get dressed and go to lunch
  • Get dressed, kitted out and go to lunch
  • Craft blanket into some form of sari and/or robe and go to lunch
  • Do something that does not involve the phrase 'go to lunch'


Captholt #9 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 23:37

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 13696 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    07-19-2011
get dressed and go to lunch

Wake_Island #10 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 23:55

    Major

  • Players
  • 3584 battles
  • 3,544
  • Member since:
    01-27-2011
Burn all the witches in a witchcraft trial!

Baron_de_Pencier #11 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 00:20

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3407 battles
  • 580
  • Member since:
    01-05-2011

View PostWake_Island, on Jul 04 2012 - 23:55, said:

Burn all the witches in a witchcraft trial!

There was a time when Witches were persecuted and yes, burned at the stake for their crimes. All that changed with the Battle of Legnica in 1241. The complete rout of the Mongolul army there by a coven of Sarmacian witches, as well as the subsequent Witch-led Purging of the East led to a papal bull by Pope Innocent IV in 1245 making persecution of Witches a heretical act. Even after the Reformation, most of Europe were content to leave Witches alone. This viewpoint was only reinforced after the Salem Incident in 1692. Throughout most of the world, Witches are left alone provided they generally keep their powers to themselves. With the Martian invasion, however, all that is changing.

Your options in regards to lunch remain the same.

So, that's one vote for dress and eat. If there are no further votes I'll just go ahead and write the next post. Also, cheeky trolls.

TheRonmasteh #12 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 05:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 51430 battles
  • 4,967
  • Member since:
    04-07-2011
Dressed and lunch.

Qwertythedog #13 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 05:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 5164 battles
  • 2,386
  • Member since:
    01-25-2012
Lunch and dressed

Cielo #14 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 05:40

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 13621 battles
  • 913
  • [PLOT] PLOT
  • Member since:
    07-05-2010
Horde ALL the cheese, you'll never know when you have to use it against aliens. Also you enjoy lookIng at your reflection in the empty silverware.

Baron_de_Pencier #15 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 15:46

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3407 battles
  • 580
  • Member since:
    01-05-2011

View PostCielo, on Jul 05 2012 - 05:40, said:

Horde ALL the cheese, you'll never know when you have to use it against aliens. Also you enjoy lookIng at your reflection in the empty silverware.
What is this I don't even-

View Postel_championdor, on Jul 04 2012 - 23:37, said:

get dressed and go to lunch

View PostTheRonmasteh, on Jul 05 2012 - 05:08, said:

Dressed and lunch.

View PostQwertythedog, on Jul 05 2012 - 05:29, said:

Lunch and dressed
Consensus!

Taking a few seconds to splash some water on your face (it's the closest you'll get to a shower out here in the middle of nowhere), you throw on an undershirt and your uniform jacket, buckling the rune-inscribed armour plates on one by one. After a few seconds of sturggling with the clingy material, you've got your Striker undersleeve on. Then you buckle on the holster to your service pistol, and throw on your leather cap, pulling the tinted goggles on. It's reasonably dim in the tent despite the bright sunlight outside and the bullet holes, but you can't be too cautious. Last comes your kepi, onto the back of which you've sewn a flap of heavy canvas to keep the sun off your neck. Everyone in the brigade is nut-brown already, but you can't be too careful. General Creagh keeps promising some sort of new 'sun-blocking cream', but he's just as burnt as the rest of you.

You step outside, shading your eyes. It's punishingly hot, punishingly sunny, and the winds are, as usual, punishing. You do not like the deserts of North Ifrike. Not one iota. Great tanking territory, to be sure, but dieu tout-puissant it's hot. After a brief detour to the quartermaster's to have your bed replaced (He nods sympathetically when you tell him what happens- no one, not even the enlisted soldiers, can escape Leigh's wakeup calls). Coming out of the supply hut, you run into Capitaine Jeanne Piron, who looks to be on her way to lunch as well. The little Belgican girl still hasn't gotten over her intense need to prove herself, but she's a lot more stable and confident than the manic-depressive sniper you knew in Gaule.

"Afternoon, Colonel.", she says, smiling politely.

"Jeanne," you nod, "what's happening? What were those explosions this morning?"

"Oh, those? Bergonzoli and du Vigier."

"Another argument? What, did one of them not brush her teeth before breakfast again?"

Piron sighs wearily and shakes her head.

"Even worse. Apparently Bergonzoli forgot to tie back the window flaps on their tent and du Vigier got overheated."

You groan, rubbing your temples. It is an unfortunate fact that the two most tempermental, aggressive witches in the 2nd Armoured also live together and have some of the most explosive magical spells at their disposal. Ever since Bergonzoli gained the ability to channel lightning strikes she's been insufferable. And with du Vigier setting herself on fire all the time... it's a wonder they're still together.

As you make your way through the network of low, partially-buried tents (no concrete here- the lack of cover makes camouflage more valuable than armour), you see a peculiar figure atop one of the sandbagged anti-air emplacements. It's Maggiore Guillet, the second-in-command of the 3rd Armoured Witches. She's wearing a Striker, but curiously enough she's doing some kind of sword drill with a heavy cavalry sabre. As you watch, she takes a swing, loses her balance, and tumbles down the dune. Weird.

Piron notices her too.

"Should we, uh... should we go help her, or something?"

Your stomach rumbles.

Um. What to do?
  • Continue to lunch. Guillet is probably okay.
  • Speak with Guillet. It can't hurt.


Captholt #16 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 16:01

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 13696 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    07-19-2011
speak with guilet. what could possibly go wrong?

NoblePlatoon #17 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 16:14

    Captain

  • Players
  • 16690 battles
  • 1,944
  • Member since:
    05-24-2011
I have an overwhelming urge to say something inappropriate....but my frontal lobes kick in.

Go talk to the clumsy (and probably quite cute) witch.

Cielo #18 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 17:07

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 13621 battles
  • 913
  • [PLOT] PLOT
  • Member since:
    07-05-2010
Continue to lunch, you have a sudden urge to horde and consume fine cheese.

Qwertythedog #19 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 17:23

    Major

  • Players
  • 5164 battles
  • 2,386
  • Member since:
    01-25-2012
Speak to Guilly. ( Guillet )

Baron_de_Pencier #20 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 18:39

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 3407 battles
  • 580
  • Member since:
    01-05-2011

View PostCielo, on Jul 05 2012 - 17:07, said:

Continue to lunch, you have a sudden urge to horde and consume fine cheese.

What is with you and cheese? This isn't Wallace and Gromit Quest. Although that would be pretty sick.

View Postel_championdor, on Jul 05 2012 - 16:01, said:

speak with guilet. what could possibly go wrong?

View PostNoblePlatoon, on Jul 05 2012 - 16:14, said:

I have an overwhelming urge to say something inappropriate....but my frontal lobes kick in.

Go talk to the clumsy (and probably quite cute) witch.

View PostQwertythedog, on Jul 05 2012 - 17:23, said:

Speak to Guilly. ( Guillet )

You tromp up the duckboard laid along the dune to where Guillet is struggling to remove her Striker, swearing absent-mindedly to herself in Oenotrian. you offer her a hand up.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, Maggiore, but aren't sword drills no longer a part of Witch training?"

She grabs your hand, pulling her small, wiry frame upright. You suppose that Leigh would be the expert on this, but to you she looks more like a horse jockey than a soldier.

"Colonel de Gaulle! Thank you, ma'am. It's true. Armoured Witches don't use swords. But, to be honest..."

She finally succeeds in stepping out of her Striker and lets it clank to the ground. She picks up her sabre, smiles a little, and takes a deep breath. There's a swish sound, something passes very, very close to your face, and suddenly she's standing behind you. You turn around to face her in shock. She holds up a tuft of brown hair- yours. You never let your hair hand down more than a finger's width on your forehead. And she just trimmed it with a sabre that's almost a meter long.

"Colonel," she proclaims, all awkwardness gone, "I'm a cavalry officer. Not a tanker."

Piron, doing a bad job of hiding how impressed she is, crosses her arms.

"Yes yes, very interesting. But last I checked, unless you can generate cutting fields like Major Leigh, that sword won't do much against a Martian."

All the excitement drains out of Guillet's face. She's a mercurial girl, this one.

"I- I know. But I just can't work with a Striker! Hell, two months ago I was leading men on horseback in Occupied Habeshah! Now they put me in a pair of magic metal trousers and expect me to fight aliens!"

You put a hand on your shoulder. Piron may be many things, but she is not a natural leader.

"Amedea. Can I call you that?"

"S-sure," she says, looking uncomfortable.

"I understand you're not entirely sure of yourself here. It's tough, being out of your element. And most of us have been fighting the Martians for two years now. But you have to remember, Amedea. We're a team. We are all Witches. We help each other. And if you're ever feeling scared, or confused, or lacking in confidence, you can come to me. I believe in you. We all do. Nom de Dieu, Amadea, your spell is generating explosions. You have a lot to feel confident about."

You give her a quick hug. She looks up at you, blinking away tears.

"T-thanks, Colonel."

"Charlotte, please."

"Thanks, Charlotte."

Piron huffs, gazing away at the horizon. Then she frowns, shading her eyes.

"Hold on a second... do you see that?"

You follow her finger. She is pointing at an unremarkable patch of blue sky.

"See what, Jeanne?"

Piron doesn't respond. Instead, she grabs a pair of field glasses from a crate next to the AA gun. Peering down them, she frowns again.

"I know I saw something."

You take the glasses from her. Again, clear sky.

"There's nothing there, Piron."

Guillet steps back into her Striker, and you help her down the dune. Okay, definitely lunchtime. Piron remains atop the dune, still scanning the horizon.

"You go on ahead, Colonel. My eyes haven't failed me before, and they're damn well not going to fail me now."

Okay then.
  • Convince Piron to give it up. There's no point in standing in the sun, chasing shadows.
  • Continue with Amedea to lunch. You'll have a word with Piron later.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users