Why bad tanks are good

suck tanks Lee M6 American heavies Hang in there baby!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

SimulationX #1 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11158 battles

Why Bad Tanks are Good

A guide & recommendation to playing the tanks everyone love to hate

Lee, Jgdpz IV, T-28, the forums are filled with people complaining, whining, pissing and moaning about these tanks and their fellow suck-kind. They are hard, they are weak, and they don't succeed. Most players warn you to stay away.

Screw that, I say DO IT!

Why would I do that? Why would any kind hearted person who only wants to help tell you to play tanks that will most certainly beat your win rate to a pulp? 1 reason:

Suck Tanks Suck to play

Now you’re saying, well DUH! Einstein, you just wasted a good 30 seconds of my life, I could have been trolling Garbad or something....  But wait! Hear me out here!

Have you ever wondered why some people praise the M6, Love the Lee? Use the VK 3001P as a credit grinder and fun tank?

Of course not, YOU'VE always just said:

"Those Guys aren't Playing with a full deck..."

So what would you do if I told you otherwise? What would you do if I told you that these players have learned what makes these tanks special? What if I told you these players had actually LEARNED something in these tanks, other than that MM sucks? Would you run? Would you hide? Would you scream and call me a Liar? Would you grab the nearest pedestrian and use him as a meat shield from my attacks obviously attempting to drive you insane?

Well, Don't

Because I'm about to say it, and we don't want any bystanders to be caught in the crossfire.

Suck Tanks Teach you things that Good tanks just won't

Okay, stop screaming; allow me to explain: those so-called "Suck-Tanks" are actually balanced fine, they're just hard because they lack in some critical area, but actually make up for it in some other. If you can learn how to counter your weaknesses, you can be a VERY successful tanker. Plus, these weaknesses, such as lack of armor, poor gun, bad speed, and others are always present in all other tanks (to some degree) and if you can learn to make use of almost no armor, or no gun, what'll happen when you get a Maus, or T110E5?

You'll be INVINCIBLE! That's WHAT!!!!

Interested? Well you should be, Superman would have looked really stupid if someone had handed him a cure for AKP (Acute Kryptonite Poisoning) and he had said

"No thanks, I don't Like Needles..."

So you want some examples? How about some from my PERSONAL data files:

Case Study: THE M3 Lee

Lee: known for poor Armor, somewhat lack of speed, good gun, and most importantly NO FREAKIN TURRET. In the face of all these shortcomings, one might see why there are so many hate forums devoted to the Lee. But behold, I Bring Truth! In the Lee's Weaknesses Lie it's True Strengths!

WHAT? Are you crazy? How can that be possible? How can Weaknesses = Strengths? That's almost as crazy as Bad tanks = Good Tanks!

But consider this: with the Lee, you can hide behind a corner, exposing only your gun with its decent mantle armor....

That is how I got a STEEL WALL in the M3 Lee.

The Lee teaches tankers to use a tanks peculiarities in a way that make them strengths... apply this to the next odd looking tank you find.

The Confused M6

Thy M6 must need therapy. It is crammed in line with heavys, but is known to be able to outrun some mediums. It has little armor, a decent gun verging on sub-par, and a whole lot of speed. (I remember a player typing in chat, "my IS is so fast, it's.... Holy Cow, did that M6 just Pass me?!?")

The M6 does no good on the front lines. It has bad armor and a not-so special gun however, the M6 does have something special to teach us, and it’s that flanking heavys, or placing a heavy tank on the map where it never should be, can quickly put a wrench in the best laid plans. My M6 has many times been the victor on the Hill in Himmesldorf. Being able to put a tank where it shouldn't be lets you take a couple enemies out while they're busy picking their jaws off the ground.

The Whole Darn American Heavy Line From Tier 7 On Up

What do all of these tanks have in common? A lack of Hull armor. Can you guess what I'll say they teach you then? If you said "To go hull down" then, you'd be wrong.

Make no mistake, The American heavy line is good at showing you how to use terrain to go hull down, but hull down doesn't always apply to all tanks. Some are too big, and some, such as the tigerP, have better hull armor than turret armor, so they don't gain much from a hull down position.

No, what the American line can teach you with its lack of hull armor is how to defeat the bane of so many players’ existence, the arch-nemesis of those who are unlucky to be caught in the open: the one and only, Artillery.

High-tier Artillery's HE rounds can easily penetrate the weak armor of American heavys, often causing almost full damage. With American heavys, you WILL learn how to use terrain to protect yourself from this death from above, or you will quit the line in frustration. I currently, at the time of this posting, have Elited my T32, and can say that I rarely have a problem with arty. I almost never present them with a shot, and they only get luck every once in a while. I can't remember the last time I actually Died to arty (except for being finished off by a tiny bit of splash, but even that's rare.)

Sorry for only using American examples, but that's the line I've played the most right now. I wish more players to post with their experiences with tanks most people hate, but they actually enjoy.

In Short, If you feel like you don't like a tank, Stick with it and learn to make it work, it'll be better for you in the long run!

HANG IN THERE, BABY!

http://www.allhonour...eMP-300x240.jpg

-sighing off, SimX

Edit: Red text titles removed, thank you all for pointing that out

Edited by SimulationX, Jul 09 2012 - 02:14.

grimre #2 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8885 battles
  • [VET] VET
Good points.  So that's why the scariest M6 drivers are the ones who shoot my a**.

The Jagdpanzer IV is bad.  But it's not as bad as they make it out to be.  When top dog or fighting Tier 7s.  This is one scary tank with its insane ROF, good alpha, good camo and ability to reposition quickly.

prince_machiavelli #3 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:19

Captain

• Players
  • 8625 battles
The M6 was the tank that taught me about gun depression.

Qwertythedog #4 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:19

Major

• Players
  • 5164 battles
+1

Doomarias #5 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 5894 battles
Loved my t-28. Always tempted to rebuy and stomp some tier 4.

GuardPatroller #6 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2931 battles
Yes man, thank you! That's why I love the AMX 12t (Ok, I'm just wierd.) and I plan on keeping it for tier 6. I enjoyed the JagdPanzer4, but I had to sell it for Panther credits and I thought I'd prefer E-50 first, then I can go back to German TDs. Sorry for rambling on, you didn't ask, but I'm just glad to know that someone knows that feel. http://www.myfacewhe...w-that-feel.png

ArchMadman #7 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5462 battles
bad tanks aren't bad if you know how to use them.

Harkonen_siegetank #8 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:35

Major

• Players
  • 28060 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_
Good constructive post, but you might wanna change those red fonts to something else. Also T32 isnt of a threat which is it isnt on arty (or anyone) priority list. KT, IS3, T34, Lowe poses bigger threat than T32 is.

SimulationX #9 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:38

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 11158 battles

View PostHarkonen_siegetank, on Jul 04 2012 - 05:35, said:

Good constructive post, but you might wanna change those red fonts to something else. Also T32 isnt of a threat which is it isnt on arty (or anyone) priority list. KT, IS3, T34, Lowe poses bigger threat than T32 is.

... you must not know of My T32.... lucky for you I sold it to fund my M103 ... In my opinion, the T32 is one of the most underestimated tanks in the game. I have Pwned KT's, Lowe (not really that hard) and T34s have blaring weaknesses (i know I drive one) the only tank on your list I ever had trouble with was an IS-3, and i could usually win as long as i wasn't stupid and tried to brawl XD

madgod33 #10 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14593 battles
I loved my Lee. I named it "Moose" and took it out when I needed a change of pace and some fun. Hated to sell it for garage space, but I've kept the crew in case...just in case.... I got a Steel Wall in it once too.

The M6 has problems? Gosh.... lol

And some day I might re-buy a T-28 and give it a decent chance.

But the M2 Medium...UGH!

SpudNuts #11 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:54

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25254 battles
  • [3DACR] 3DACR
Personally I like to play the low end french heavies B1, BDR, and ARL and as for being on priority lists not being there and being ignored can ruin a lot of guys day.

And I use the BDR for cash grinding I clear about 10-15k  per battle.

Edited by SpudNuts, Jul 04 2012 - 05:56.

Barncat #12 Posted Jul 04 2012 - 05:58

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18649 battles
Having played a wide array of tanks I am convinced there are no "bad tanks" just bad players. I am not great, but I have seen tanks that I can't play worth a spit roast people, and have done the same. Humorous post although I doubt it will shut the whiners up.

fastreak #13 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 03:42

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1645 battles
Things I learnt from my M6:
Aiming for weakspots=>The 90mm gun is amazing when you learn how to aim at weakspots to get max damage.
Using gun depression to your advantage=>M6 has a sick gun depression, and using it right is the key to success
Picking your battles=> The M6 can't engage everything. You have to learn when to back out, using your superior mobility
Playing as a Team=> The M6 flat out excels when you pair it with a beefier tank. Then roll all over the enemy team.

The M6 was terrible to start out in, but I will be sad when I finish the grind to T29. It's been an amazing tank.

Harkonen_siegetank #14 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 09:41

Major

• Players
  • 28060 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_

View PostSimulationX, on Jul 04 2012 - 05:38, said:

... you must not know of My T32.... lucky for you I sold it to fund my M103 ... In my opinion, the T32 is one of the most underestimated tanks in the game. I have Pwned KT's, Lowe (not really that hard) and T34s have blaring weaknesses (i know I drive one) the only tank on your list I ever had trouble with was an IS-3, and i could usually win as long as i wasn't stupid and tried to brawl XD
Well you just noted you dont have problem with arties on your T32, I just pointed out why. Not because of you goes one-on-one with those tanks.

wafflechampion #15 Posted Jul 05 2012 - 09:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3327 battles
On another note superman can't be pierced by a mere needle haha +1

KrazyKrl #16 Posted Jul 06 2012 - 18:59

Private

• Players
  • 1918 battles
A few things I would like to add from playing the German TD line to T6.

From tier 3 to tier 6, the German TDs are more sniper/flankers. They have an ABSURD base camo value, and rediculous accuracy, their fire rate is up there also.

The StugIII's speed with the long 75mm RoF and accuracy make the StugIII more of a ranger-sniper. Moving to a location, squeezing off a few shots into the side of an enemy heavy, and displacing to another area.

The StugIII excells at mobility, and should be played like a paper medium tank with a BFG.

The JagdPzIV doesn't have the speed, turning rate, or low profile of the StugIII. The short 88 does have a decent 220 damage per shot though, along with the decent accuracy that is common in the german line. And sacrificing all of 7mm of penetration, for almost double the damage seems like a good trade. Especially when you can reliably hit tanks at max view range. And just demolish tanks at medium range. The JagdPzIV should be played quite similarly to the StugIII. The JagdPzIV does lack some of the mobility of the StugIII, but makes up for it with decent damage.

And since the JagdPzIV is a tier 6, go have a blast in Tank Companies. I've only ground out the basic modules you need, the other 40k exp I have gained twards the JagdPanther was gained in Tank Companies. Randoms absolutely suck for the JagdPzIV. In about 30 games, I've gotten tier 8 teams about 75% of the time.

I've had more fun playing the evidentally terrible German TDs as tank hunters, and not just snipers.

Edited by KrazyKrl, Jul 06 2012 - 19:02.

Lert #17 Posted Jul 06 2012 - 19:39

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 44735 battles
My winrate in the M3 Lee is 8.96% above global average.
My winrate in the M6 is 5.62% above global average.
My winrate for VK3001(p) is 3.94% above global average.
My winrate for T-28 is 11% above global average.
My winrate for JagdPanzer IV is 3.72% above global average.

Yeah .. I've made a career out of doing well in tanks that 'suck'.

DerAufklaerer #18 Posted Jul 06 2012 - 20:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7679 battles
  • [JHAM] JHAM
Great thread. Nothing there is bad except for the red, change that before you get boned for it. Anyways, +1

warrends #19 Posted Jul 09 2012 - 02:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 21458 battles
Great thread. +1. All that stuff ...

I have recently begun to make myself play the tanks I don't like as much (don't want to say 'hate'). Specifically right now the 13 75 and T25/2. Playing them more and more because they require different play styles than my other tanks. And I am getting better and better, learning more and more as I go. Of course, these are both a means to a very good end:
13 57 leads up to the BatChat
T25/2 leads up to the T30

But by playing them more than just for my daily doubles, I am actually liking them a little bit more each day.

__DC__ #20 Posted Jul 09 2012 - 02:49

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15034 battles
  • [_KR_] _KR_
Nice thread +!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users