Optimal Scout Equiptment?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

HeroEnVec #21 Posted Oct 22 2010 - 16:48

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7030 battles
  • [TT] TT
I am going to play devils advocate.  :)

Camo not useful?  Lets say I have a leopard with full camo crew, camo net, coated optics, and binocular sights.  I go sit on a hill top in a bush and remain still.  Enemy tanks would have to be within 100 M (likely more like 60-70M) to see me, and I would be able to see (theoretically) 540M.  Now that is some serious scouting.

DragonMat #22 Posted Oct 23 2010 - 09:26

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Isn't there a limit to how far away you can spot?

HeroEnVec #23 Posted Oct 25 2010 - 19:12

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7030 battles
  • [TT] TT
500m supposedly... though I have tested and tested and never been able to hit that mark... I want to say the longest I have Ever been able to see was in the low 490's with i -think- ferdinand using binocs.

DragonMat #24 Posted Oct 26 2010 - 16:51

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
This might sound like a noob question but can we have two/three of the same equipment on a tank? Just wondering...

HeroEnVec #25 Posted Oct 26 2010 - 17:47

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7030 battles
  • [TT] TT
nope.  As an example, you can only coat your optics once.  I do wish I could carry 3 rep kits though :P

DragonMat #26 Posted Oct 26 2010 - 19:20

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Thanks for the answer.

surfingerman #27 Posted Oct 28 2010 - 05:42

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 2 battles
camo skill in the light scouts is very useful you already are hard to spot being a light low tier tank, add a maxed out camo crew i can driver right up to tanks on the front line and turn around and go back they never see me, if you dont get seen dont need the repair stuff, you can feel around the enemies lines untill you fin an opening and then slip right in and take out the arty you should be able to figure out where the artys at by watching the tracers arc

jarineva2 #28 Posted Nov 02 2010 - 10:42

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Postsurfingerman, on Oct 28 2010 - 05:42, said:

camo skill in the light scouts is very useful you already are hard to spot being a light low tier tank, add a maxed out camo crew i can driver right up to tanks on the front line and turn around and go back they never see me, if you dont get seen dont need the repair stuff, you can feel around the enemies lines untill you fin an opening and then slip right in and take out the arty you should be able to figure out where the artys at by watching the tracers arc

Camo works only if you stay still without moving turret for 6 seconds.

Also you view range is sorter than higher tier tanks so they see you further than you can see them. Leo having 400 m view range. Coated optics gives +10%. Binoculars give more but again you have to stay 6 seconds without moving. View range maximum is allways 500 m no mather what optimanal modules you equip.

Addition to that non-moving TD has bonus for camo which tanks do not have. TD + 2nd skill camo 100% + camo net + in large bush = invisible up to 20 m while fireing. TD can move its gun without losing camo while tank cannot move turret without losing camo. TD has superiority when going hiding.

Often when scoutting TD are the ones that are defending the base. If you try to sneak in, they will spot you long before (due being higher tier), fire on you without you discovering them and give you position to SPGs which you should be scoutting.

moralis #29 Posted Dec 08 2010 - 06:49

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 5446 battles
  • [SEA] SEA
For scouting, I'm prioritising the maximisation of sight range to 500m and speed which is essential to spotting stuff and survivability. I know the current spotting mechanic is a little wonky, hence most people don't really focus on sight range, but that's still a work in progress with some enhancements coming soon.

Depending on the kind of scout, I'm proposing some module/skill combinations. Consumables can be used to buff up a weak area (like repair) but that's entirely up to you. Before that, just a quick run through of modules.

Enhancing Spotting Range
  • Pick the correct tank. Leopard standard is 400m. A light/med tank that has 400+ metres of spotting range would be a good start. In the patch notes, some light scout tanks are being buffed so that they are less visible while moving compared to med/heavy tanks. Therefore, if a heavy and light tank both have the same sight range, the light would potentially make a better forward scout since it may not be spotted while moving to position.
  • Ventilation - 5% bonus to Commander which helps increase sight range.
  • Coat Optics - +10% view range (capped at 500m)
  • Binoculars - +25% view range when stationary for 6 secs (max view range capped at 500m)

Enhancing Survivability
  • Camo trained crew. Camo crew skill reduces max range that enemy tanks can spot you. It is active all the time even when you're moving. Very helpful for scouts if you can see them before they see you.
  • Repair trained crew. Helps with module damage. I don't feel it is useful for scouts because a damaged periscope/engine will affect your survivability and spotting effectiveness anyways and repair skill won't get it to 100% again. Maybe good for a med/heavy scout when you get tracked. A tracked light tank won't survive long enough for tracks to be repaired most times.
  • Camo net. This would be useful for the sneaking scout that tries to stay stationary close to the front line. Won't help you if you rush and have to keep moving to stay alive. Stacks with Crew Camo skill.
  • Spall Liner. Protection from HE damage, especially to modules like engine, periscope and crew like commander, driver and radioman.
  • Ventilation - 5% bonus to your Driver which helps with your acceleration and turning.
  • Tool Box - 25% bonus to repair speed. Same comments as Repair trained crew.

Some suggested combos:

The Rushing Suicide Scout:
This set up is to get you right into the thick of enemy formations. Your survivability highly depends on speed and movement but is generally suicidal for youbecause no matter how you turn, your rear end/front end is going to be pointing towards at least one tank in the enemy cluster, which makes it easy for them to shoot you no matter how fast you're going.

• A light or medium tank with good (400+) view range, good acceleration, top speed and turning performance in terms of turn radius and speed bleed.
  • Spall Liner. You'll be getting shot at a lot. This may help you last just that bit longer.
  • Ventilation. You are going to need all the speed and movement abilities you can get.
  • Coated optics. Helps you see that little bit more before you die.
  • Camo crew skill. Hopefully can get you closer to enemy formations before you get killed.

The Sneaky Scout
This set up is for scouts that try to creep towards the enemy's fluid battle front to spot targets for your guns in the rear to kill before proceeding. Survivability depends on your ability to see them before they see you and trying your best to stay outside of their sight range if they're advancing on you.

• A light or medium tank with good (400+) view range. Speed and mobility is a plus to help you relocate. Extra armour/HP is a plus because you may take some hits/splash damage for those times you get spotted first. That'll be your cue to U-turn, retreat and find another approach.
  • Camo crew skill. Very important. Only thing in game at the moment that reduces the range other tanks can spot you. Always active too whether you're moving or stationary.
  • Coated optics. Helps you see that little bit more when moving to your next spotting location.
  • Binoculars. For max visibility when you're at your spot camp location.
  • Camo Net. Reduces your visibility even further when you're on station. Helps if your ideal location is in the open. Stacks with Crew Camo skill and bush bonus.

Flexible Scout
This is for those that go with the flow and want bonuses for initial rush scout followed by more tactical scouting if they survived the initial rush scout run.

• A light or medium tank with good (400+) view range. Speed and mobility is a plus to help you relocate. Extra armour/HP is a plus because you may take some hits/splash damage for those times you get spotted first. That'll be your cue to U-turn, retreat and find another approach.
  • Camo crew skill. Very important. Only thing in game at the moment that reduces the range other tanks can spot you. Always active too whether you're moving or stationary.
  • Coated optics. Helps you see that little bit more when moving to your next spotting location.
  • Ventilation. Bonuses to both your spotting range and movement since it buffs both your commander and driver.
  • Last module slot is up to you. Preferably kept open for swappable modules like the Tool Box and Binoculars so you can further customise depending on your mood.