Efficiency Calculator? Eh?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

URD1 #61 Posted Aug 01 2012 - 06:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postzerj, on Jul 31 2012 - 19:00, said:

There is one,  see:
http://wot-dossier.appspot.com/

It needs you to upload a file from the stats kept on your PC though, as there are many more statistics kept by WoT that are not on the website.

vbaddict also shows efficiency per tank.

Stardrifter #62 Posted Aug 01 2012 - 08:31

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Efficiency calculator is decent, better than some moron pm'ing you just tell you that your w/l record sucks. lol  I honestly don't think that the people who play, play to lose. I think everyone gives it an effort, some are better than others but at the end of the day its just a game. Although i would have to say that i think the little kids playing this game probably are killing the game more than anything. If there is a group who would hurt our stats the most it would be them as depending on age they probably don't quite grasp the concept of the game.  So have fun, relax and enjoy the game.  :Smile_honoring:

Archie_Bunker #63 Posted Aug 01 2012 - 09:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostStardrifter, on Aug 01 2012 - 08:31, said:

So have fun, relax and enjoy the game.  :Smile_honoring:

+1

bombastinator #64 Posted Aug 01 2012 - 12:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

Efficiency calculator is decent, better than some moron pm'ing you just tell you that your w/l record sucks. lol  I honestly don't think that the people who play, play to lose. I think everyone gives it an effort, some are better than others but at the end of the day its just a game. Although i would have to say that i think the little kids playing this game probably are killing the game more than anything. If there is a group who would hurt our stats the most it would be them as depending on age they probably don't quite grasp the concept of the game.  So have fun, relax and enjoy the game.  :Smile_honoring:

I'm not sure complaining about kids playing video games is productive.  Grown ups playing video games is a bit like grown ups playing baseball.  It can be done, but at the end of the day you're really playing a children's game.  Kids are going to have a game advantage anyway.  They have vastly quicker reaction times.  There's a reason the infantry is called the infantry.  The Romans put the youngest soldiers on the front line because they were the quickest movers.

brdhntr #65 Posted Aug 01 2012 - 13:36

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

Of course it is, because the object of the game is to get the best efficiency possible even if it means losing the game.

It's not that people play to lose, but that they don't learn from their mistakes and continue to make moves that cause them to lose.  Most of it is a complete lack of situational awareness and watching the minimap.  They are in such a hurry to start pew-pewing that they get into a bad situation and throw away their tank.  That or they sit behind the arty in the top tier tank to "Snipe" or "Protect arty".

There are plenty of adults who can't grasp the concept of the game, as well.  Hard to say the actual numbers, because on the internet you can claim to be the Pope and there is not much in the way of proving/disproving it.

Yes it is about having fun.  I just happen to have fun winning.  If I lost the majority of the time, I'd find a way to improve myself to win (which I did in WOT), or find something I was better at.

LeadOut #66 Posted Aug 07 2012 - 06:35

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSgt_Pork, on Jul 20 2012 - 06:00, said:

What that distribution tells me is that the "bad" and "average" players are all clumped together in a big mass with the median being somewhere below the mean, and the "good" players having stats so much better than everyone else that they are extreme outliers with scores skewed several standard deviations above the mean. Bottom line, the 10% of players that are "good," though few in numbers relative to the general population, are performing at a level that totally blows the other 90% away (at least so far as the "efficiency" rating is accounted an accurate measure of performance).

Nah, I think they just took raw numerical efficiency as their point to call "average". In fact their quantiles are just chosen at regular intervals of size 300 efficiency rating. By their categorisation, 90% of the player base are "average" or worse. I've even seen a post in a thread on the EU server where a guy with 1700 rating said he considers everyone below 1200 to be noobs. He's entitled to think that, but calling 9 out of every 10 people he plays with in pubs noobs is not a good way to go about winning.

For that matter, someone at the median (somewhere around 830 or so) should on average contribute about half as much (in terms of scouting, capping, kills, dmg) as someone in the top 2%. This is a pretty good argument for not completely dismissing the lower quantiles.

Yankeegunner #67 Posted Aug 10 2012 - 16:00

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Apparently, I'm about 1269, which is about 300 better than I thought I would do.   Winning is > losing, but fun > winning (at least for me).

GL all

Robert319 #68 Posted Aug 11 2012 - 21:13

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostJean_Dessaut, on Aug 07 2012 - 06:35, said:

Nah, I think they just took raw numerical efficiency as their point to call "average". In fact their quantiles are just chosen at regular intervals of size 300 efficiency rating. By their categorisation, 90% of the player base are "average" or worse. I've even seen a post in a thread on the EU server where a guy with 1700 rating said he considers everyone below 1200 to be noobs. He's entitled to think that, but calling 9 out of every 10 people he plays with in pubs noobs is not a good way to go about winning.

For that matter, someone at the median (somewhere around 830 or so) should on average contribute about half as much (in terms of scouting, capping, kills, dmg) as someone in the top 2%. This is a pretty good argument for not completely dismissing the lower quantiles.

You hit the nail on the head. According to the Efficiency Rating definitions, 10% of players are Good or better, 90% of players are Average or worse . . . .

As to the usefulness of the measure . . . I know I am an average player so my score is not as important to me as the information about the other players (total games played, games played and victories for the tank they are using in the current battle, etc.).

A couple suggestions to improve the rating formula:

1) Get rid of the Average Destroyed. The formula already values the Average Damage per game, and effectively values the same dimension twice.

2) Include a value for Average Experience adjusted by Average Tier. The WoT designers already have an algorithm that evaluates performance across multiple dimensions. That value should be included as better players score more experience than poor players, even in games that end in Defeat.

Babawonga #69 Posted Sep 02 2012 - 02:13

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
I don't see the effciency calculator as being meaningful. Rating a player as average/poor/excellent isn't accurate when it doesn't take into account if the player uses premium ammo, buys premuim tanks, etc. It seems to me that the easiest way to get your efficency rating up would be to drop real money on the game to get the good stuff. But does that make you a better player?

Torus #70 Posted Sep 02 2012 - 20:27

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostBabawonga, on Sep 02 2012 - 02:13, said:

I don't see the effciency calculator as being meaningful. Rating a player as average/poor/excellent isn't accurate when it doesn't take into account if the player uses premium ammo, buys premuim tanks, etc. It seems to me that the easiest way to get your efficency rating up would be to drop real money on the game to get the good stuff. But does that make you a better player?

Way to discredit just about every single great player by efficiency.  Premium shells and premium tanks don't matter.  I'd like to see an example of this being otherwise.

Noowin #71 Posted Sep 08 2012 - 21:15

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
The efficiency calculator is BS. One day I get 1000 a month later 800 a few days later 600 a few days later 800. I don't think it's so easy to change

PhilJD_NA #72 Posted Sep 10 2012 - 11:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostDeviantSmurf, on Jul 18 2012 - 17:30, said:

I went here the other day and found out I'm not very efficient :)  But really i found out what I already knew I am an average player who has a blast playing

Ditto this all the way!

Darth_Pedro #73 Posted Sep 11 2012 - 03:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
There's a big difference between efficiency and EFFECTIVENESS.  The interaction and synergy between players is much more important than individual statistics.