YouTube vids

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

2_minutes_hate #1 Posted Jul 22 2012 - 18:38

Captain

• Players
  • 10545 battles
  • [ADP] ADP
For the new players. I spent a lot of time in my first 3000 matches not caring about stats/wins just trying out different types of tanks and throwing shells every where. I also spent about 3000 battles playing grinding Russian heavies trying to get to the IS7 as fast as I could before soviet tech tree patch so I was fillipng between soviet heavy and prem credit earner. All this led to crap stats (also I suck at tanks).

Now stats are like your "permanent" record your teachers threaten you with in school "you failed 3rd grade math you’ll never get into Yale" on one hand the stats don’t matter because if your having fun perusing a recreational activity that’s all that matters. On the other hand stats matter, its how you get good TC battles, clan membership and not treated like a pariah on the forum...plus satisfaction that you’re helping the team win.

I have recently become very interested in becoming a better player. Just the consciousness (and a little gold) has improved my play immensely.

However seeking out-side sources has been the most help. While recently following a thread on sniper-ship I stumbled on some excellent videos for tank play. Videos are posted by DeathsArrow and are called Wot I'm thinkin. Each video has map breakdown, team breakdown, vehicle breakdown, game play for example, post-battle analysis with possible different strats and tips. I’m sure this set of vids is only one of many sets that have been posted by experienced players.

In short ( ya right) if you’re new check out DeathsArrow vids and scour youtube for other examples. Great resources out there posted by WoT best.

Edit: font size

Edited by 2_minutes_hate, Jul 22 2012 - 18:39.

Paladin1 #2 Posted Jul 22 2012 - 19:11

Captain

• Players
  • 10651 battles
  • [SNRS] SNRS
2_minutes...... you sound almost exactly like me. First few thousand matches just playing around enjoying the game, trying out tanks, not a care in the world, didn't even get on forums back then. Then I started seeing the articles from WOT about upcoming tanks, and specials with certain tanks. I would power grind in my M10 Wolverine and another tank, if I died I would quickly hop into the other tank until I died again... hoping my M10 was now repaired to ride in again so I could get the extra bonuses. I did that for a few days till the special ran out, several hours a day.... so imagine how many matches I could speed run in that time frame. I'm sure it could be close to a thousand as fast as I was running them.

I then came to the forums and learned about the soviet update (just like you)....  That was right before the 7.0 update. I read about all the freebie tanks and tank slots, etc that you could get if you had certain tanks. So I started grinding the soviet line to maximize on getting ALL the free stuff....I did it, and actually had enough time to spare to get the IS7 as well. Did I get all the free stuff?? Sure the heck did! But like you, my winrate and other stats suffered because of it. Personally I don't care about stats, neg reps, etc... This is a place I come to, to relieve stress, not get stressed out about.

Now with 6k plus matches under my belt, I'm sure the vast majority of them carelessly grinded out, I'm wanting to improve my playstyle. This will take forever with 6k matches already there. I'm not wanting to do it for the people in this game that don't know me, that I'll never meet and have no meaning in my life... the same ones that label others in this game by using terms "bads", "window lickers", etc and think they're above someone they know nothing about because of some numbers or a digital tank. I am however trying to change my stats, playstyle for the good of my clan and my clan mates. So I totally understand where you're coming from... truly been there and have done that! But thanks for some good info on some videos to check out.

Edited by Paladin1, Jul 22 2012 - 19:11.

URD1 #3 Posted Jul 22 2012 - 21:40

Corporal

• Players
  • 11873 battles
  • [DOG5] DOG5

View Post2_minutes_hate, on Jul 22 2012 - 18:38, said:

For the new players. I spent a lot of time in my first 3000 matches not caring about stats/wins just trying out different types of tanks and throwing shells every where. I also spent about 3000 battles playing grinding Russian heavies trying to get to the IS7 as fast as I could before soviet tech tree patch so I was fillipng between soviet heavy and prem credit earner. All this led to crap stats (also I suck at tanks).

Now stats are like your "permanent" record your teachers threaten you with in school "you failed 3rd grade math you’ll never get into Yale" on one hand the stats don’t matter because if your having fun perusing a recreational activity that’s all that matters. On the other hand stats matter, its how you get good TC battles, clan membership and not treated like a pariah on the forum...plus satisfaction that you’re helping the team win.

I have recently become very interested in becoming a better player. Just the consciousness (and a little gold) has improved my play immensely.

However seeking out-side sources has been the most help. While recently following a thread on sniper-ship I stumbled on some excellent videos for tank play. Videos are posted by DeathsArrow and are called Wot I'm thinkin. Each video has map breakdown, team breakdown, vehicle breakdown, game play for example, post-battle analysis with possible different strats and tips. I’m sure this set of vids is only one of many sets that have been posted by experienced players.

In short ( ya right) if you’re new check out DeathsArrow vids and scour youtube for other examples. Great resources out there posted by WoT best.

Edit: font size

I hear both of you. I learned this a little earlier than you (around 500 matches) but I am in the same boat. The problem for me is I think I am improving but my win rate is not. In my last two days of play I have won three out of 23 matches.

Also, DeathsArrow's videos are great. I have watched them all as well as read a lot of the guides on the forum and I would strongly recommend watching them to anyone seeking to improve. Of course it does not seem to be helping me but I will keep at it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users