Crew skills for KV-1S (and IS)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Withnail42 #1 Posted Jul 26 2012 - 03:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
My guys are still only 93%, but I'm wondering what I should start out with.  A few posts have recommended repairs for all members, and some seem to suggest mentor for the commander, to boost the others.  I still don't fully understand how they work, and I don't want to make a mistake.  I have my eye on the IS, but I'll still be in the KV-1S for some time to come.  Are the same skills pretty much best for both?

Also, I haven't been able to afford good equipment up to this point, but I've been saving 500k for my first slot.  I'm torn between vents and the rammer, but leaning towards the rammer, given the incredible reload time of the 122 mm.  Sound like the way to go?

del1001295635 #2 Posted Jul 26 2012 - 03:17

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Yeah, I'd definitely go with full repair for your first skills.  Considering these tanks are supposed to work at close range with lots of cover, getting tracked is a serious threat, yet repair skill plus toolbox mitigates it nicely.

dsnoman #3 Posted Jul 26 2012 - 03:21

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I would go with mentor for commander and repairs for everyone else. Thats so i dont have to waste a repair kit on my tracks. I can save it for ammo rack or gun.

Equipment i use is vents rammer and GLD. If i had to choose one id go with a rammer. Reload time is important.

Withnail42 #4 Posted Jul 26 2012 - 16:41

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Hmmm, so 1 for repairs across the board, and 1 for Mentor/repairs.  Is Mentor better in the long run, after repairs skills are complete?

I just fitted the rammer last night, and it makes a huge difference.  With a few extra % in major qualification also, I'm just over 14 secs reload (which is a hell of a lot better than 16+).  I'm saving up now for the next slot, am I right in thinking GLD is the way to go?

Nikolai_Mikoyan #5 Posted Jul 26 2012 - 17:05

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Add mine into the Mentor/Repair pool

Although my first skills are a little too variated. Let's just say that I will only go for repair when I saw a crew without any interesting skill (I turned 100% crew just when the new skills hit the live server, so I wanted to test it)

I took Mentor for Commander,

Repair for Gunner (at that point, I have not interest in run 'n gun tactic, so I didn't go for Snapshot)

Repair for Driver (again, as new driver skills only concerns CQC and Run 'n Gun, so I got no interest in them)

Firefightin for Loader

and Situation Awareness for Radioman (the only radioman skill that's practically useful for me, but soon proves to be a waste as the IS has no radioman)

Withnail42 #6 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 15:08

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thanks, I went with Mentor and the rest repairs.  I'm about 60% on them so far, and I'm wondering what I should go for next.  I like what I read about Brothers in Arms, but I have to train all the crew at the same time.  Should I get that next, or work on something else first?  These are the individual skills I was thinking:

Commander: Recon
Gunner: Snap Shot
Driver: Smooth Ride
Radio: Situational Awareness
Loader: Safe Stowage

dsnoman #7 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
BIA is nice i hear. Im going for it as my second skill/perk on my IS3. But yes all your crew needs to have it to work.
i read on here to get a perk as your 2nd set and a skill as your third because it takes a long while to get your third set 100% so a skill makes more sense.

Its up to you. I put safe stowage on my loader for my IS3 because i was getting ammo rack detonation.  I found detonation potential not to be a problem in my IS. I find that i still get ammo rack damage with the perk but no detonation so far.
Its really been trial and error for me. Preventative maintenance is good for the driver. That way the chance of catching fire goes down and pair that with firefighting. That way you dont have to carry a fire extinguisher. And it frees up a slot to carry gas or food.

Some people are all about offense.  That's how i am with my T50-2. I have snap shot, smooth ride, etc.

Good luck bro. Hope this helps.

deadskull102 #8 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:05

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
What i did for perks on my IS
Commander:Jack of all Trades
Gunner: Snap Shot
Driver: Smooth Ride
Radio: Situational Awareness
Loader: Brother in Arms
Hope this helps :)

NergiZed #9 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:08

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I always take care to make my first skill Brothers in arms, as it only works at 100%, so having it as the first skill is best as it takes the least time to get there. I usually go for repair as a second skill for tanks like this.

sinelf #10 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:25

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
You need to consider that the common skills are devided bye the the number of crew members...on a 5 man crew if 4 of them have 100% in repair then the crew has 80% the same is true for all comman skills so if you picked mentor for first skill for comander and the other 4 guys repair...I would pick repairs for comander for second skill...when you get 100% in repair for all crew members you will see a big differnce

Withnail42 #11 Posted Jul 29 2012 - 19:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I've decided that I will move my KV-1 crew into the new IS that I'm about to buy, and keep the KV-1S crew where they are.  I have the KV-1 crew training in Brothers in Arms as their first set.  Am I right in thinking that, even if I get all the crew to 100% BIA before the move, it won't take effect until I get them back to 100% major (after the 90% retrain).

Zurrak #12 Posted Jul 29 2012 - 23:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostWithnail42, on Jul 29 2012 - 19:56, said:

I've decided that I will move my KV-1 crew into the new IS that I'm about to buy, and keep the KV-1S crew where they are.  I have the KV-1 crew training in Brothers in Arms as their first set.  Am I right in thinking that, even if I get all the crew to 100% BIA before the move, it won't take effect until I get them back to 100% major (after the 90% retrain).

This is correct. It also works for any other crew perk that requires 100% like Dead Eye or Sixth Sense. They are not 100% for the new tank after moving(unless you gold train them) so they will not have the skill activated.

ComradeHX #13 Posted Jul 30 2012 - 00:06

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Mentor is best as first skill for commander.

One less 100% repair skill is not going to make huge difference.

View PostZurrak, on Jul 29 2012 - 23:01, said:

This is correct. It also works for any other crew perk that requires 100% like Dead Eye or Sixth Sense. They are not 100% for the new tank after moving(unless you gold train them) so they will not have the skill activated.
They work as long as skill is at 100%.

Withnail42 #14 Posted Jul 30 2012 - 18:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I got the crew back to 100% after the move to IS, but damn if it isn't taking forever to level BIA now.  In the KV-1 they seemed to level 2 or 3% each game, but they have barely moved at all in the IS.  I actually thought it was bugged for a while because they didn't appear to be levelling at all.  Granted, this morning has been a lot of fail games, but with premium I expected faster, especially as this is their first skill/perk.  Is this a function of tier 7 vs tier 5 levelling?  If so, I'm REALLY regretting not getting BIA to 100% first.