Since leveling up to II

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

SMCSC #1 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 15:38

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
After leveling up to tier II I cant compete. Tanks are way too fast and too stealthy.  Somthing seems way out of balance.

Game play has left me flat; not wanting to continue.

Nice game though....

JFYI
Being along time gamer, I cant help but to think of exploits.  If I am that weak after leveling up to tier II then I am done.

fsjd #2 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 15:43

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
tier 2 is when you start seeing all the TDs, arty, mediums.
the following two traits are common to all tanks:
you can also see tier 3 tanks, which are more powerful than you, but you can still fight them. (expect to die quickly to tanks 2 or more tiers above you)
stock tanks are usually horrible. at tier 1 the difference from stock to elite isnt that great. past that the differences rapidly grow.

what tier 2 are you playing?

Whee #3 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 15:47

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
You want speed? Get the BT-2.

Jakusz1337 #4 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 15:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
It doesn't matter even if you are an experienced gamer, this game has quite the steep learning curve. You just gotta face facts. I didn't consider myself "good" until about the 2500 battle mark. And read the battle mechanics section of the wiki, it will help out a ton. I wish I had known to do that when I was new...

http://wiki.worldoft...attle_Mechanics

Edited by Jakusz1337, Jul 28 2012 - 15:57.

SolDust #5 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:07

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
like fsjd said, tier 2 is when you start seeing the other classes of vehicles. TD's and arty, both being fairly stealthy. you will always be seeing tanks stronger than you, but that doesn't mean that you cant do anything.
at this point you should be learning that theirs more to the game than point and click.  each tank has weak spots(view ports, hatches, fuel tanks)) and that armor is going to start becoming a factor.  if you find yourself getting hit a lot, angle your tank and don't let the bad guys get on your rear and sides(universal tank weak spots).
the M2 is not well armored but it is fast. use that to your advantage and flank or weave between shots(if you feel lucky).  traveling with a group can help a lot too.
stick with it for a bit, the learning curve is steep, but once you get it, hours of fun and arguing on the forums await.
and check out the wiki.  it has a lot of good info on spotting mechanics and armor values, as well as summaries of tank play styles.

good luck, and happy hunting!

Lou #6 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:09

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Tier 4-5 gets better, I promise. The tanks are better, the credits and xp earned increase. And you are more experienced.
Hang on for awhile, give it a chance!

God_Of_Death_EX #7 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:12

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostWhee, on Jul 28 2012 - 15:47, said:

You want speed? Get the BT-2.

same as ur name

SMCSC #8 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:34

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles
T2 tank I have researched and spend a few real bucks... to get to this point. Short of dropping a lot more $$ which I wont do; I guess I will have to take it on the chin. My game play has slowed down for me.

The bottom line I suppose is the game is forcing me to spend $$ to be completive. which I wont do, especially when the money spend thus far has brought grief.
all anyone wants to do is race off in hopes to get lucky or just to mow down the lesser tanks; which doesn't give me any motivation to become more involved.
I guess I'll just play when there is nothing else to do...

Although its  been a while since I spent days playing an online game. This one sure grabbed my attention at first.
Just disapointed I guess.  =-( welp,  thanks for the replies.

Edited by SMCSC, Jul 28 2012 - 16:36.

Ramcke #9 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 16:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostSMCSC, on Jul 28 2012 - 16:34, said:

T2 tank I have researched and spend a few real bucks... to get to this point. Short of dropping a lot more $$ which I wont do; I guess I will have to take it on the chin. My game play has slowed down for me.

The bottom line I suppose is the game is forcing me to spend $$ to be completive. which I wont do, especially when the money spend thus far has brought grief.
all anyone wants to do is race off in hopes to get lucky or just to mow down the lesser tanks; which doesn't give me any motivation to become more involved.

Although its  been a while since I spent days playing an online game. This one sure grabbed my attention at first.

I only recently started using gold to demount equipments after I hit Tier 8 because it was getting expensive to buy new equipment every time. There are players that reached Tier 10 without paying a dime since it's F2P.

I have seen bad players attain high tier tanks with just patience and time. You don't need to pay to be competitive just need to learn the game mechanics and where to aim... and you paid real cash to get from Tier 1 to Tier 2? There are tons of players that has gone through what you are experiencing, your not the first nor will you be the last.

Unified_theory #10 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 17:04

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Tier 2 is one of the most fun tiers to play IMO. Im a tier 2 warrior check my stats

There is no reason to spend any real money at such a low tier. You'll never run out of credits and the xp needed to research can be won in a few dozen battles mostly.

2 things: first, keep playing and improving, After thousands of battles you get better. This is not a game where the skill can be rushed. Tier 2 will have its share of more experienced players that go there for the fun of it, those guys will wreck you so don't get discouraged. Second, you need to have the tank fully upgraded and the crew as well. Crew training can take a long time but there is an enormous difference between a 75% crew and a 100% crew.

Ive yet to pay to play and have only run pub matches, never platooned, never used premium and have done well so its absolutely possible. I am sure there are some game play changes that you can still make to help your productivity. Stay open to trying new things and learn. Get your crews trained and dont rush. Beleave me, dont rush thru low tiers cause the end game  has its own issues. Im having alot more fun this time around in the low tiers. Tier 2 and 3 can be great so relax and enjoy

Eschaton #11 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 19:26

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
I had a hard time with the first couple of tiers, but things really turned around once I hit Tier 3.

Tier 1 teaches you only the very basics of WoT. WASD, fire, hills slow you down... but really nothing beyond that.

Tier 2 adds SPGs and TDs, but aside from that is pretty much a continuation of Tier 1. The vehicles are still slow, near-sighted, weak, and inaccurate.

Tier 3 is where you start getting real AFVs like the SU-26, Marder II, T82, and other vehicles that are capable of seeing a fair distance, driving there in a reasonable amount of time, hitting targets more often than not, and damaging them when they hit.

Note my own record though. I only played 15 battles at Tier 1 and lost 10 of them (33% win rate), and the T1 Cunningham was the worst of the three I played. Of the 68 battles I did at Tier 2, I lost over half of them; only 47% WR. Most of my battles have been Tier 3 (56% WR) or 4 (52.4% WR).

It turns around quickly. Trust me. Get to Tier 3, and things will change.

rinying #12 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 19:34

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
i haven't spent a dime on wot and i have a t10 and am a good player, with a 55%w/l. i just use skill to trump wallets. sure, using money will gain you an advantage, but if you are better than the person, its an easy win. also, premium tanks like the churchill and t34 are weaker than their counterparts. for example, the lend lease churchills counterpart is the kv-1. the churchill is limited to a weaker 57mm, in both damage and accuracy. it has poorer armor against HE, weaker engine, and less turret armor. only thing that will really give you an advantage is gold ammo, and that is only a substitute for skill based on the penning capabilities. at t1-2, you run into larger enemies, they got there by playing. at t3, you start to see t5 enemies, and again, they got there by grinding to their tanks, and very few used money to get there. at t7+, is when you start running into competitive long time players, like myself, and those who spent money getting to where they are. in wot there is no end game, you just keep playing until you master a tank, or a tier. and so forth. or you play for fun, and have a blast obliterating the enemies. either way, don't worry about getting to the next tank, find a tank you would like, and get it. the marder 2 is a nice TD, the m4 sherman a nice money making and medium. kv-1 is a good heavy, and they all lead up to fairly good tanks.

Legiondude #13 Posted Jul 28 2012 - 19:39

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles

Competitive? You don't need to worry about gold items until nearing tier 7.

sampak #14 Posted Jul 30 2012 - 02:24

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
You DEFINITELY don't have to spend a dime in this game to win, or be competitive. EVERY single tank researchable in this game is better than the "paid for" premium tank of its tier (which are only good for extra silver and exp).  At tier 2 yes you might do worse at first due to a stock tank, with stock 50% crews, while everyone else probably same as you or upgraded and playing with 100% crews.

Just hang in there, it'll get better with patience. Everyone takes a while to get up the learning curve.

hahahagreatname #15 Posted Jul 31 2012 - 07:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
once you get your first crew to 100% thats the point when the game really shows your investment of time into it. a 50% ms-1 running into a 100%ms-1 literally shadows over the other.

holypk #16 Posted Jul 31 2012 - 08:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Yeah, that's what I loved about this game and eventually pour some money into it. You don't have to spend a penny until you reach tier 8 and beyond. Even pass tier 8 you can still make do without a premi account or premi tanks by just running several tier 5 tanks to grind for credit. You spending money at tier 2 is a indication of a pay to win player and this game won't give you that. I never even played more than 20 games in any tier 1s when I started. There's no reason not getting to tier 2 in a couple days even if you play around 1 hour per day.

I have to be honest here. I got slapped silly when I was a noob too. This game does have a high learning curve. Most of my friends never made it. You got to get pass the fact that you are expected to die more than 65% of the time. This ain't MMORPG where you get punished for dying. You don't lose exp when you die. Every single game played gain you exp base on your performance.

Oh btw, don't even think about buying a tier 8 premi tank until you at least have grind a tier 8 tank. We have enough bad premi drive up here already. They fight just like a premi-baby, getting into adult fights too early for their own good then cry about their tank sucks. Almost all premi tier 8s are very good in the hands of an experianced tanker. However, when driven by tankers who never even made it pass tier 5, they are just sad. Case in point (T34 sitting on hill trying to snipe, Lowe trying to scout, KV-5 sitting still, Type 59 rushes forward by itself, and JT88 front line fighter)

JDASprawler #17 Posted Jul 31 2012 - 09:06

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
I am currently a freeloader but I am looking forward to buying gold, it's not for a performance advantage (which is only gold rounds on this game, and people save those for clan wars, not pubs) but for a time advantage (converting exp) and maybe some garage slots.

As you can see, I can keep my stats as average, without paying a dime, and they will probably stay the same if I get my feet wet.

Learn the game's mechanics, read about weakspots, map guides and how to use your tank more efficiently, improve your crew and if the tank is a keeper, get it some equipment, you will notice a performance boost.

Das_Panzerlied #18 Posted Jul 31 2012 - 15:12

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Have you finished the tutorial? You get a Tier 3 Stuart with a 100% skilled crew. That is a fun little tank to play. Will have to play scout generally in higher tier battles, but when the MM gods favor you and you get into same level matches... watch out. That Stuey will give 'em hell! Heck, it can give hell even against some slower higher-tiered tanks and TDs.

But... if Tier 2 isn't any fun, go back and play Tier 1 some more. This isn't a race to Level 10, it's a game to be enjoyed. Find a level you enjoy and play it as much as you want and as long as it's enjoyable. This is what I most like about this game -- I can play different levels and still have fun and still feel like I accomplish or learn something.

Molotok_Yaniye #19 Posted Jul 31 2012 - 19:44

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostJakusz1337, on Jul 28 2012 - 15:55, said:

It doesn't matter even if you are an experienced gamer, this game has quite the steep learning curve. You just gotta face facts. I didn't consider myself "good" until about the 2500 battle mark. And read the battle mechanics section of the wiki, it will help out a ton. I wish I had known to do that when I was new...

http://wiki.worldoft...attle_Mechanics

I still don't consider myself good afterr 3000-some battles.  Getting there, but not good yet.

Zakume #20 Posted Jul 31 2012 - 19:55

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View PostSMCSC, on Jul 28 2012 - 15:38, said:

After leveling up to tier II I cant compete. Tanks are way too fast and too stealthy.  Somthing seems way out of balance.

Game play has left me flat; not wanting to continue.

Nice game though....

JFYI
Being along time gamer, I cant help but to think of exploits.  If I am that weak after leveling up to tier II then I am done.

Sounds like you're just trying to find a reason for not investing the time it takes to learn the game and the mechanics and just rather blow it off as the game is forcing you to buy gold to play competently. Don't mistake this game for Call of Duty with tanks replacing the humans, this is not a twitch shooter game; it a methodical strategic mind game where you have to plan ahead and think about what you are doing and evaluate the situation with the information given to you as the battle unfolds. If you do not want to have to think in a game to be successful at it, then that's fine, this game may not be for you, but don't blow it off as something completely unrelated when you refuse or are unwilling to experience even the main part of this game which lies past the initial shoot em up in the low tiers.

Edited by Zakume, Jul 31 2012 - 19:57.