I HAVE FF!

I do :(

Codewriter #102 Posted Nov 29 2013 - 13:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 56093 battles
  • [BOND2] BOND2

View PostLert, on Jul 29 2012 - 12:21, said:

Surgeon general warning: may contain sarcasm. Proceed at your own risk. Any damages resultant from following or not following the tips in this post are not covered by insurance. YMMV. Void in Wisconsin.

We all know these people. The noble, the brave. They take up a position, then defend it 'til death, against superior odds. These are the true warriors, who grow chest-hair on their chest-hair and sweat testosterone. These are men's men, who fight with heart, soul and courage! They are the real men, who stand their ground, then get to spectate how a smart man kills the guy that killed them.

So, what is the difference between a real man and a smart man? Well, one of the more noteworthy ones is that you can't spell 'smart man' without an S. I mean, it's even the very first letter you need! But it's one that real men don't even know exist. Real men believe that the controls for this game are W, A, D and mouse. Ah, but look between the A and the D, underneath the W, and you'll spot WoT's most well-kept secret, the "S" key.

So, what does this mythical "S" key do, that real men refuse to acknowledge is even possible? Hmmm. Let's go test it out. Be right back.

*Noises of the game starting*

Aaaaah, so depressing the S key with minor force moves your tank in reverse. *gasp!* Try it some time, it's amazing!

Proper utilisation of the "S" key allows a tank to make a tactical withdrawal *oh noes!* "But," says the real man, "real men don't withdraw!" No, they don't, and that's why they get killed.

Just because there's an enemy ahead doesn't necessarily mean you have to engage him. Oftentimes withdrawing to another spot lures the enemy into your team's line of fire. Oftentimes withdrawing to a more defensible location allows you to overcome superior odds. Oftentimes withdrawing to get out of LOS allows for flanking maneuvers.

Many players seem to have an aversion to the very idea of withdrawing, like doing so offends their manly man credentials of manhood. I'm here to tell you that this is not the case. There is nothing wrong with falling back to a location where you have arty support instead of pushing ahead into theirs. I've played almost 20k games between beta and live, and I can't remember many occasions where tanks were not needlessly lost just because their players couldn't find the "S" key.

So, there you have it. The fabled "S" key, what it does, and why the difference between real men and smart men is the use of the "S" key. Real men think it's cowardly to withdraw and die a sad death while smart men know when to withdraw and help their team win.

I sense a taste of *sarcasm* Mr Lert.

Are you reeling from being hit in the face with the *stupidness* of the players in the *pub* battles known from this point on as *pubbies* or *window-lickers*...?

If so, do you find yourself wishing for, no crying out for a BLACK-LIST feature in this game...?.....know from this point on as *BL* or *BL-FUN*...:)

Said BL would allow players to add the names of those players that we really really would never ever wish to team up again with in a public match.

Said BL would never ever prevent someone from playing in a public match....important to understand this point.

Now since our BL is preventing 100's of pubbies from being matched up with us on the same pubbie team.....it so every slightly increases the chance that said pubbies would appear on our OPPOSING team in pubbie matches.....allowing us to properly demonstrate to them the proper use of the *S* key and other more important tank tactics......in a way allowing the BL to become a method of introducing some additional educational and FUN value into the game...hmm....:)

This new BL feature could even be a premium account perk....(this was suggested to me in another BL post)....which could then help/assist WG sales of premium accounts in this game.....or in all of their games in fact...hmm...money..money...:)

Anyway....have fun...I loved your post on the proper use of the hidden *S* key...:)  Another tactic that goes un-used is the "NO-PEEK" rule when you know the other tank is behind a reasonably close rock or house...but you don't know if he's loaded..or reloading.....:)  In this case the tanker should wait for the other player to peek and shoot prior to you peeking and shooting....:)

Swisscheesy #103 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 04:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5451 battles
  • [_C_E_] _C_E_

View PostBBQ, on Jul 29 2012 - 12:51, said:

Real man use AP in derp KV. :>

Real men only ram in KV!

Real men shoot the ground with HE and send up clouds of dust that proclaim their magnificence!!

Swisscheesy #104 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 04:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5451 battles
  • [_C_E_] _C_E_

View PostCodewriter, on Nov 29 2013 - 13:56, said:

Surgeon general warning: may contain sarcasm. Proceed at your own risk. Any damages resultant from following or not following the tips in this post are not covered by insurance. YMMV. Void in Wisconsin.
We all know these people. The noble, the brave. They take up a position, then defend it 'til death, against superior odds. These are the true warriors, who grow chest-hair on their chest-hair and sweat testosterone. These are men's men, who fight with heart, soul and courage! They are the real men, who stand their ground, then get to spectate how a smart man kills the guy that killed them.
So, what is the difference between a real man and a smart man? Well, one of the more noteworthy ones is that you can't spell 'smart man' without an S. I mean, it's even the very first letter you need! But it's one that real men don't even know exist. Real men believe that the controls for this game are W, A, D and mouse. Ah, but look between the A and the D, underneath the W, and you'll spot WoT's most well-kept secret, the "S" key.
So, what does this mythical "S" key do, that real men refuse to acknowledge is even possible? Hmmm. Let's go test it out. Be right back.
*Noises of the game starting*
Aaaaah, so depressing the S key with minor force moves your tank in reverse. *gasp!* Try it some time, it's amazing!
Proper utilisation of the "S" key allows a tank to make a tactical withdrawal *oh noes!* "But," says the real man, "real men don't withdraw!" No, they don't, and that's why they get killed.
Just because there's an enemy ahead doesn't necessarily mean you have to engage him. Oftentimes withdrawing to another spot lures the enemy into your team's line of fire. Oftentimes withdrawing to a more defensible location allows you to overcome superior odds. Oftentimes withdrawing to get out of LOS allows for flanking maneuvers.
Many players seem to have an aversion to the very idea of withdrawing, like doing so offends their manly man credentials of manhood. I'm here to tell you that this is not the case. There is nothing wrong with falling back to a location where you have arty support instead of pushing ahead into theirs. I've played almost 20k games between beta and live, and I can't remember many occasions where tanks were not needlessly lost just because their players couldn't find the "S" key.
So, there you have it. The fabled "S" key, what it does, and why the difference between real men and smart men is the use of the "S" key. Real men think it's cowardly to withdraw and die a sad death while smart men know when to withdraw and help their team win.

I sense a taste of *sarcasm* Mr Lert.
Are you reeling from being hit in the face with the *stupidness* of the players in the *pub* battles known from this point on as *pubbies* or *window-lickers*...?
If so, do you find yourself wishing for, no crying out for a BLACK-LIST feature in this game...?.....know from this point on as *BL* or *BL-FUN*...:)
Said BL would allow players to add the names of those players that we really really would never ever wish to team up again with in a public match.
Said BL would never ever prevent someone from playing in a public match....important to understand this point.
Now since our BL is preventing 100's of pubbies from being matched up with us on the same pubbie team.....it so every slightly increases the chance that said pubbies would appear on our OPPOSING team in pubbie matches.....allowing us to properly demonstrate to them the proper use of the *S* key and other more important tank tactics......in a way allowing the BL to become a method of introducing some additional educational and FUN value into the game...hmm....:)
This new BL feature could even be a premium account perk....(this was suggested to me in another BL post)....which could then help/assist WG sales of premium accounts in this game.....or in all of their games in fact...hmm...money..money...:)
Anyway....have fun...I loved your post on the proper use of the hidden *S* key...:) Another tactic that goes un-used is the "NO-PEEK" rule when you know the other tank is behind a reasonably close rock or house...but you don't know if he's loaded..or reloading.....:) In this case the tanker should wait for the other player to peek and shoot prior to you peeking and shooting....:)

I thought "BL-FUN" referred to the BL-10 derpinator!

Dunfalach #105 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 14:27

Major

• Players
  • 18838 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostSwisscheesy, on Dec 20 2013 - 22:29, said:

Real men shoot the ground with HE and send up clouds of dust that proclaim their magnificence!!

I watched a KV-2 do this twice leaving spawn yesterday. It was very manly and dramatic.

He was on a laptop and kept bumping the touchpad.

Julmac #106 Posted Dec 21 2013 - 15:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3695 battles

View PostSwisscheesy, on Dec 21 2013 - 03:29, said:

That explains why you die when the enemy artillery homes in on that dust cloud

HardcoreOne #107 Posted Dec 22 2013 - 01:02

Captain

• Players
  • 3526 battles
S also stands for slow, while you are trying to back the heck up, the tank destroyer is watching his reload clock and licking his lips

Vhax #108 Posted Dec 22 2013 - 17:23

Sergeant

• Players
  • 2019 battles

I like it when 2 other TD's are hidden in ambush behind bushes, and I find myself (in my su85) too far ahead behind another bush.  I'll just sit there, spot an enemy, then just reverse all the way until I'm behind a bush, in a position behind but between the other two td's.  What usually happens is seeing which of us will be first to kill the guy.  Usually, that guy will bring others, and we just end up having a massive enemy junk yard in the area I was just in. 

Doesn't work all the time, because in most random battles, I end up dead because I was stupid and was too far ahead with no support.  There has only been a few games where it's worked out.  

I am trying to stop the "I'm too far ahead and away from others but having a lot of enemy in front of me" mentality.  Being a noob, I'm finding it hard to curb that mentality, but I'm slowly getting a handle on it.

BlueGuy90 #109 Posted Dec 24 2013 - 06:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 34307 battles
  • [REL2] REL2
Had a match where on Cliff right flank the odds were not with us. It was just me and this 1 guy and I was telling him to fall back, we had some TDs that could support our retreat. He refused to acknowledge that. So I left w/o him. He died and called us all P***ies. The enemy pushed and got halted by our TD support while 2 guys from the middle and I flanked them. We killed those guys on the right flank and won the match. (Left flank was rocking it so was no real danger of losing).

Dunfalach #110 Posted Dec 24 2013 - 21:04

Major

• Players
  • 18838 battles
  • [S-F] S-F
Had a tier 7 match on El Halluf in my KV-2 a couple of days ago, at the usual northern hilltop, in which after unwisely exposing themselves on the crest only one friendly tank was left and his health was down to 1-shot territory. I used the mighty S key to get out of there and instead pull back to the northeastern slope, where a T-150 was just trundling up to try to support. The two of us ensconced ourselves there, watching the hill crest turn, and with good support from an FV304 managed to destroy all comers, all because of falling back to a better position where the arty had a harder time getting shots in and the enemy tanks could not approach us without exposing themselves.

VioletZer0 #111 Posted Dec 26 2013 - 22:26

Major

• Players
  • 3317 battles
Where I come from, we have a word for people who use that. They're called "backpeddlers." Backpeddlers are shunned everywhere and for good reason. You should be strafing backwards so you can keep a forward facing while still going at full speed.

Tabardar #112 Posted Dec 27 2013 - 14:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17474 battles
No idea but when I read "a real man" I remembered Jaqen H'gar XD.

Julmac #113 Posted Dec 27 2013 - 14:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3695 battles
My problem is the only two times I back up are (1) when my team abandons me to die alone and I'm trying to escape, or (2) when I need to to get a better angle, BOTH usually end with me getting my panties shot off

Josip05 #114 Posted Dec 28 2013 - 14:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 0 battles
I like my "S" :D

dcon930 #115 Posted Jan 20 2014 - 04:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 5133 battles
  • [WLU-M] WLU-M

View PostPTwr, on Jul 29 2012 - 13:13, said:

Real men only ram in KV!

Real men kill Maus with stock IS-4!

Real men kill maus in MS1.  Unfortunately, real men don't exist.  So, we make do with noobs.

Dunfalach #116 Posted Jan 23 2014 - 23:18

Major

• Players
  • 18838 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Fighting retreat in the SU-100Y, making full use of that miracle 'S' key. The 100Y isn't fast, but fortunately the Churchill isn't either. :child:

http://wotreplays.com/site/559304#redshire-dunfalach-su-100y

By pulling back, and lobbing a shell downrange periodically to keep them honest, I was able to delay the enemy heavy advance long enough to give my team time to win this one. Had some fire support from behind in the latter part, though I don't know from who as I was a bit busy to pay attention.

Edited by Dunfalach, Jan 23 2014 - 23:19.

Julmac #117 Posted Jan 24 2014 - 02:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3695 battles

Good for you :)

Oh sorry I didn't respond last night when you pm'd me, I fell asleep on the couch watching Duck Dynasty and didn't wake up till my mom turned off the computer for me

Jewish_I_Krusk #118 Posted Jan 29 2014 - 16:58

Corporal

• Players
  • 3014 battles

"Retreat, hell!  We're just attacking in another direction."  Marine to a reporter during Battle of the Chosin Reservoir, Korean War.

They were they only us military unit to not break and run when china attacked.  

Derp_o7 #119 Posted Feb 17 2014 - 01:33

Captain

• Players
  • 31092 battles
LOL

FrostyK11 #120 Posted Feb 18 2014 - 05:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 20028 battles
In the corps there was no retreat, only " advancing to the rear". ( there was also " hunting tanks can be fun and easy" lol)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users