T28 Prot, what's the deal?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

Varmalus #1 Posted Aug 08 2012 - 18:04

Private

• Players
  • 3553 battles
I just got this TD yesterday, and after playing a few games I have to say ive never played a more frustrating TD on my grind here and been as disappointed.

Its a bit of culture shock going from the Hellcat, to the T25/2, then to this TD.  You go from 2 TD's that are pretty decent, to one that just seems like a few tons of wasted steel.  At least with the Hellcat and T25/2 their weaker guns were offset by the speed and small stature of the tanks.  I'm just not seeing any positives to the T28 Prot yet.

Let me start by saying, I am mostly stock right now - i do understand most tanks are painful until you get some upgrades.  I do have the Tracks and Engine, however these make little difference since my max speed is 17km/h.  With that speed, you obviously aren't getting anywhere fast - which lends you to believe that its meant to be sniping/camping tank.

However, there are a few problem with that scenario - at least at stock.  The guns themselves aren't horribly accurate, I'd say they are above average but definitely not on par with true sniping guns.  The initial gun, the 90MM from the previous tier, is HORRIBLE against the T10's you are getting matched with.  I can't hurt anything, and when i do its for terrible damage.

The issue with having trouble damaging anything exacerbates the problem with the tank.  The 105MM gun upgrade costs 18K+ exp and, stat wise, is only marginally better than the 90MM.  I'm finding it EXTREMELY hard to grind the exp to get the gun upgrade because I can't damage anything.  On the Hellcat and T25/2 it was typical to still get 400-600 exp even on a loss - 1000-1200 on a win.  With the T28 Prot im lucky to get 400-600 on a Win, losses are a horrible 100-300 exp cause I can't damage anything in the matches MM is throwing me into.

To top it all off, the repair costs and resource costs of the tank are kind of crazy.  You go from making ok amounts of income, to losing money fairly often.  It's just icing on an already rotten cake.

Let me also say that I pretty much play 100% pub games, i usually jump in for a few matches here and there as i get time.  I've had some really bad luck with games lately and streaks of losses which doesn't help the issue.  I know my stats are horrible, so please don't bother wasting the time mentioning them.  I KNOW i put in 110% every match to try to help my team win, but you can only do so much with complete teams of random people that have no practice together.

If anyone has any suggestions/advice to add - or just their experience with the tank, I'm ALL ears.  I'd love to hear anything you can offer in how I can improve using this tank.  Thanks!

Keifomofutu #2 Posted Aug 08 2012 - 18:07

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 9243 battles
You got through T25/2 without hating it?  Compared to that tank proto has armor+beast gun.  T25/2 was very poorly armed and wasn't really that fast either.

Of course proto's big downside is the open top+slow speed.  So yeah arty tends to get all up in that.

EDIT:You are def going to hate proto stock.  Its only worth it when you get the big high pen 120.

Edited by Keifomofutu, Aug 08 2012 - 18:08.

Lophat #3 Posted Aug 08 2012 - 18:10

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 61392 battles
benefits are big gun and semi-bouncy armor.  downside is obviously the snail-like speed.

Nerdynoob2 #4 Posted Aug 08 2012 - 18:14

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11176 battles
I loved my T25/2. I love my elite Prototype. I hated both stock.

Varmalus #5 Posted Aug 08 2012 - 18:26

Private

• Players
  • 3553 battles

View PostKeifomofutu, on Aug 08 2012 - 18:07, said:

You got through T25/2 without hating it?  Compared to that tank proto has armor+beast gun.  T25/2 was very poorly armed and wasn't really that fast either.

Of course proto's big downside is the open top+slow speed.  So yeah arty tends to get all up in that.

EDIT:You are def going to hate proto stock.  Its only worth it when you get the big high pen 120.

I actually did really lke the T25/2 once I got it all upgraded.  The speed wasn't that bad, and its small profile made it easy to hide (with camo nets) so you could hit a few times and relocate.  I really enjoyed it personally.

I just feel like ive smashed face first into a wall on the T28 Prot, it's just not fun at all.  I was  having a blast going down the tree until this tank.  I guess in the end its simply a stepping stone to the T30 and new E4, however its going to be one hell of a painful grind if it doesn't get better soon.

I do feel the main issue is what a lot of you have mentioned, the stock gun is horrible for its tier - which makes grinding to the gun upgrades that much worse.  Coupled with the fact that im losing money a good portion of time hurts.

I just hate feeling like im a wasted tank slot on my teams cause I can't seem to do much of anything to the enemy.

Edited by Varmalus, Aug 08 2012 - 18:27.

Hellgrunt #6 Posted Aug 08 2012 - 18:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28312 battles
Hated my prototype and sold it. Was a wasted grind cause i already had a T30.

blackwidowP61 #7 Posted Aug 08 2012 - 18:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12952 battles
I don't have the T28 proto yet but I do have the T28 and I was trying to figure out why you didn't have the 105 yet. Then I remembered the T25-2 doesn't get the 105 like the T25 gets and it made sense to me.

If by chance you're also going up the other side of the US TD tree (M10, M36, T25) I would suggest getting to the T25 grinding out the 105 from that because it's such a nicer tank to work with. You lose the turret of the T25-2, but you keep the speed and gain the 105 making that tank extremely dangerous.

But if that's not the case I will say the 120mm the T28 and T28 proto share is a great gun. Like I said I only have the normal T28 right now but I've found that the 120 is able to tackle almost any tank I come across head on. And anything else I come across can be solved by careful aiming since the T28 isn't known as an awesome flanker. So really the only thing I fear in game is arty attack or a maus coming at me head on.

So don't give up now a better bigger gun is coming, it's just going to be a pain in the butt to get there. If it's really getting you down I suggest only running that tank for the doubles each night and then run a tank you're having fun with. Before you know it you'll have the new gun.

Varmalus #8 Posted Aug 08 2012 - 18:57

Private

• Players
  • 3553 battles

View PostblackwidowP61, on Aug 08 2012 - 18:43, said:

I don't have the T28 proto yet but I do have the T28 and I was trying to figure out why you didn't have the 105 yet. Then I remembered the T25-2 doesn't get the 105 like the T25 gets and it made sense to me.

If by chance you're also going up the other side of the US TD tree (M10, M36, T25) I would suggest getting to the T25 grinding out the 105 from that because it's such a nicer tank to work with. You lose the turret of the T25-2, but you keep the speed and gain the 105 making that tank extremely dangerous.

But if that's not the case I will say the 120mm the T28 and T28 proto share is a great gun. Like I said I only have the normal T28 right now but I've found that the 120 is able to tackle almost any tank I come across head on. And anything else I come across can be solved by careful aiming since the T28 isn't known as an awesome flanker. So really the only thing I fear in game is arty attack or a maus coming at me head on.

So don't give up now a better bigger gun is coming, it's just going to be a pain in the butt to get there. If it's really getting you down I suggest only running that tank for the doubles each night and then run a tank you're having fun with. Before you know it you'll have the new gun.

Yea, you hit the nail on the head.  I went straight down the turreted line, i havent played/researched/purchased any of the fixed gun TD's on the American side.

It's nice to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel though, a seemingly very long tunnel right now.  I apprecicate your advice, and thank you.

Poozie #9 Posted Aug 09 2012 - 20:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 14343 battles
Like blackwidow said your main problem is you are using the stock gun. The T28 prototype is a great tank but needs the top gun, make sure you add a camo net, rammer and binocs, for equipment. On your crew, get BIA, repairs/camo and you have a tank that can hold its own against most tanks it is matched against. I hated the T28 and sold that tank once I unlocked the T95 (I never bought the T95 because I disliked the T28 so much). However, the turret on the T28 prototype adds significant versitilty to this tank, and it is currently one of my favorite tier 8 tanks.

As far as playing the tank, I found it works optimal if you can find a choke point with a bush or two and some hard artillary cover and just hold that point. Obviously the tank is slow so there is no way to "rush" with the T28 prototype. As long as you are not moving, you will typically see tanks before they see you, giving you time to line up a damaging shot and put out the hurt. If you picked a good spot you will disappear before they can line up a return shot, or better you may not even be seen. The turret makes it difficult for tanks to flank you and the frontal armor will soak up a fair amount of shots. The gun also has decent deprssion which allows for good hull down positions. As you are aware the main problem with the tank is that it is very slow, so you need to think a little and pay attention to the minimap, try to figure out where you will be needed before hand. I find playing defensively (at first) works best with this tank, if you aren't seeing any action with the first point you took, move to a different point.

You really should unlock more of the tank (i.e. 120 gun) before you make a final judgement.

Varmalus #10 Posted Aug 09 2012 - 20:14

Private

• Players
  • 3553 battles

View PostPoozie, on Aug 09 2012 - 20:04, said:

Like blackwidow said your main problem is you are using the stock gun. The T28 prototype is a great tank but needs the top gun, make sure you add a camo net, rammer and binocs, for equipment. On your crew, get BIA, repairs/camo and you have a tank that can hold its own against most tanks it is matched against. I hated the T28 and sold that tank once I unlocked the T95 (I never bought the T95 because I disliked the T28 so much). However, the turret on the T28 prototype adds significant versitilty to this tank, and it is currently one of my favorite tier 8 tanks.

As far as playing the tank, I found it works optimal if you can find a choke point with a bush or two and some hard artillary cover and just hold that point. Obviously the tank is slow so there is no way to "rush" with the T28 prototype. As long as you are not moving, you will typically see tanks before they see you, giving you time to line up a damaging shot and put out the hurt. If you picked a good spot you will disappear before they can line up a return shot, or better you may not even be seen. The turret makes it difficult for tanks to flank you and the frontal armor will soak up a fair amount of shots. The gun also has decent deprssion which allows for good hull down positions. As you are aware the main problem with the tank is that it is very slow, so you need to think a little and pay attention to the minimap, try to figure out where you will be needed before hand. I find playing defensively (at first) works best with this tank, if you aren't seeing any action with the first point you took, move to a different point.

You really should unlock more of the tank (i.e. 120 gun) before you make a final judgement.

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely try to put it to use.

I was able to at least grind enough exp last night to buy the 105mm, and its already made a substantial difference.  Can't wait to get to the 120mm and unlock the full potential of the tank and see how i fare.

I haven't necessarily made a judgement against it, which was the main reason for my post to be honest.  More to get an idea of what I was doing wrong, and some reassurance that it would get better if I just keep at at.  Like i said in the OP, it was just a little of a shock going from the Hellcat to the T25/2 and on to the T28 Prot now.

I have watched a few videos of guys playing it and feel I have a better idea of how to handle it now, I just need to play it more and get used to it - and get that 120 to be able to really put a hurt on the tanks im getting matched with.

Thanks once again for all the help and reassurance guys, I really do appreciate it!

Edited by Varmalus, Aug 09 2012 - 20:16.

CHR157IAN_ALPHA #11 Posted Aug 09 2012 - 21:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25817 battles
  • [L-O-M] L-O-M
I can so totally relate to this.  I just got this proto.  I had stopped at the t-25at because I knew t28 & t95 would suk in pubs.  I do a lot of platooning and didn't want to be "that guy" who holds up the platoon because the enemy just hasn't found you yet to gang up on your armed snail.

I'm getting the hang of it though

big_boo_baddy #12 Posted Aug 10 2012 - 07:28

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13448 battles
My top tip with this tank so far, after grinding everything out and now being 50k in towards the T30 is this.

YOUR TURRET DOES NOT TRAVERSE THROUGH 360 DEGREES.

It may seem obvious to far more experienced players than my 6000 odd games but I guarantee you WILL forget this at least once :Smile_blinky:

As well as the sometimes crushing costs of ammo and repairs, the almost constant arty spam and what will sometimes appear to be a drunk gunner (the 120mm is not the most accurate of guns but sometimes I think it's firing baseball pitches only I don't know where the plate is) it is a good TD, in the end. But you will have to deal with the frustration as with some other higher tier tanks of having a game or 2 where you get 4 (or more) kills, 700 - 1000 exp and about 40k creds on a loss and still wonder "how did we loose that".

I also find it helpful when people point out how slow the tank is when they are watching in "death cam" mode. :Smile_sceptic:

LittleJoeRambler #13 Posted Aug 10 2012 - 07:39

Major

• Players
  • 20043 battles
The 105 is a big step up from the 90.

Since you're stuck with a lower penetration gun and you're terribly slow, arty defense might be your best chance of making good XP. Any mediums or lights that try to kill arty have to face you, and as long as you don't get tracked, your frontal armor can bounce a large percentage of lower-caliber rounds.

Once you get the 120, everything changes though. You become a legitimate threat to pretty much everything on the battlefield, and your frontal armor (if angled properly) has a decent chance of bouncing shots from stuff like IS-7s and T110s.

kidnoob #14 Posted Aug 10 2012 - 07:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19356 battles
get 120mm and you can shot anything!!!

Boomer343 #15 Posted Aug 10 2012 - 08:09

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6120 battles
  • [50-6] 50-6
Its exactly like how Its playing out for me in the King tiger and the Panther. Without their top guns, pretty much are just jokes.

torrey #16 Posted Aug 10 2012 - 21:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28339 battles
  • [DICE] DICE
I just got my T30 after playing the t28prot for what seemed like forever, after grinding it to full upgraded it was the first tank I played anytime I logged in. I got to love this thing some much I had to remind myself to play other tanks.

With a 100% crew and the right crew skills this TD can do amazing things, like put down meds as they circle you even a lite or two. I have gone head to head with a 704 and won and some other tanks i didn't think I could handle.

Just don't let the enemy focus fire on your turret force them to shoot the body and you live a long time. This TD actually turns pretty fast if you move the body and turret at eh same time. I tried to stay mobile all the time either forward or backwards just to not get hit by arty.

Skott #17 Posted Aug 11 2012 - 03:51

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 20792 battles
T25/2 worse TD in the line far as I'm concerned. Utter crap even fully upgraded. The T28 Proto doesnt get good till you get that 128mm gun. Then it kicks ass. You have to play it different than past TDs however. Mainly sit back near base and snipe. Its too slow to get up on the front lines or even near them most of the time and if you go out almost every tank can easily flank you. If you want a fast TD with good gun stick with the M18 Hellcat and don't go beyond that. Just my opinion based on experience.

Privateer #18 Posted Aug 11 2012 - 04:33

Private

• Players
  • 16681 battles
  • [TOG3A] TOG3A

View PostVarmalus, on Aug 09 2012 - 20:14, said:

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely try to put it to use.

I was able to at least grind enough exp last night to buy the 105mm, and its already made a substantial difference.  Can't wait to get to the 120mm and unlock the full potential of the tank and see how i fare.

I haven't necessarily made a judgement against it, which was the main reason for my post to be honest.  More to get an idea of what I was doing wrong, and some reassurance that it would get better if I just keep at at.  Like i said in the OP, it was just a little of a shock going from the Hellcat to the T25/2 and on to the T28 Prot now.

I have watched a few videos of guys playing it and feel I have a better idea of how to handle it now, I just need to play it more and get used to it - and get that 120 to be able to really put a hurt on the tanks im getting matched with.

Thanks once again for all the help and reassurance guys, I really do appreciate it!

120mm FTW!!
Makes a huge difference.

Best moment in my T28 Proto - surrounded by 1 heavy & 3 mediums .... killed them all (much to my surprise, thought I was dead especially since I didn't start with full health)
It was a warm feeling moment :D

US_3rd_Army #19 Posted Aug 14 2012 - 13:08

Captain

• Players
  • 23470 battles
  • [VIKNG] VIKNG
I loved the T28Prot from the start, then again i was also going down to turretless TD line at the same time and had everything for the T25AT researched, meaning i had the 105mm from the start

big_boo_baddy #20 Posted Aug 19 2012 - 08:45

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13448 battles
Killed a (partly) damaged Lorraine in mine the other night, had to soak a couple of shots with my hp's (not strictly TD tactics but I was the only defender and some people don't like being bullied) but the RoF and dam from the 120mm are brutal to a tank like that. The effective dpm of over 2.7k is really nice and it's a 100 or so less than the BL10 and it's higher than the German 12.8cm AT gun.

This bus needs to be handled carefully you need to consider your firing position, enemy artillery, enemy scouts and your teams positions. You aren't quick enough to re-locate in a hurry but you can do it, it just takes a while to get there.