How do i play KV-1?

Please help THEY are here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

MamonaAssasina #1 Posted Aug 09 2012 - 05:45

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1362 battles
Title says it all, i cant figure out how to play it right, i switched from maus line to it recently and im kinda lost.

slenderfungus #2 Posted Aug 09 2012 - 06:04

Major

• Players
  • 34706 battles
I play mine with the Vents, Rammer and Enhanced Gun Laying Drive with the 85mm or 122mm derp.  I also played it with the Spall Liner, which helped with the arty problem.  It can take a hit when you are placed at the top of the roster, so don't be afraid to be on the front.  If you are at the bottom of the roster frequently, try the 122mm derp gun with HE and get used to the reload time while taking cover between shots.  You can deal out damage to anything you will face with the 122mm, but you need to learn to take cover between shots and make sure you are not alone or you will be over run quickly.

Nikolai_Mikoyan #3 Posted Aug 09 2012 - 11:14

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6448 battles
Mini-DERP all the way.

Do consider the 85mm gun from time to time if you like, but even it has the letdown of being unable to penetrate through the front hull of the T29, and I said HULL

Oh, and. Learn to angle your armor to some extent. Unlike higher tiers, the KV series of tanks (save for the KV-13) don't have slopes, so you'll have to make it up by angling your front armor towards the enemy (This will strenghten what is already stong, considering what the new MM will bring you). But by doing so in an excessive manner will make you expose your side to them, so try to find balance.

McRetso #4 Posted Aug 09 2012 - 14:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 11920 battles
I'm running the 122mm U11 with 100% crew and I honestly think this tank is a keeper.

Generally, you want to stick to fairly confined spaces, like towns and mountain passes. Once you get the top engine and tracks it gets a bit faster, and with a 100% driver, you have the speed to venture a little more into the open.

As top tank, or at least top tier, don't be afraid to take damage, within reason. Travel with a group of tanks and expose yourself to harm whenever you think you can get away with it. Remember that every shell that bounces off your armour or damages your track is a shell that might have killed a weaker team-mate. You kinda have to learn what can hurt you and what can't, though. Just because you're top tank doesn't make you invincible.

In the middle or bottom, find someone bigger than you to follow and be more careful. Getting a corner and a high-tier heavy or something between you and the enemy, then playing peak a boom, is a good policy.

A note on the U-11: where it has a high-ish arc, you can sometimes drop shells directly on top of a big tank's engine if it's coming down a hill. I've taken out a few tigers like that, although they have to be damaged a bit.

And watch out for the ELC AMX. Unless you have the 57mm, hitting one is damn near impossible, and your armour is no defense against that big 90mm. Expect to lose 40%hp a hit or more.

nremies1 #5 Posted Aug 12 2012 - 18:58

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 8487 battles
Miniderp is the way to go, just remember not to sit in the open while reloading.

Solo'd an overconfident T-29 in mine by shooting him in the face with the 122mm, breaking his gun and probably either killing his loaders or breaking his ammo.  Then it was just a matter of continuing to punch him in the face since he was too stoopid to run away and hide until backup arrived.

KnightFandragon #6 Posted Aug 13 2012 - 14:20

Major

• Players
  • 4603 battles
KV1? You play it like a MAUS!!!!  Platoon it and its simply a MONSTER now.  I mount the 85mm and a Rammer I think atm, will prolly get a GLD and vents at some point.  Anyway the KV, since its tier changes and what not, its simply AMAZING.  The loss if the 107mm and the BOAT HOUSE turret REaLLy improved its durability.  

Time and again in these T5 and 6 matches i just take my KV with support and commence to curbstomp the enemy team, drive forward and put rounds down range until either my team wins or I blow up.

The KV1 really is an EASY button tank now.  I even took it and drove smack up the center on T-34Trainorovka on Assault and managed to faceroll an oblivious Panther, shot up a KV2, an M36, KV1, Stug, yeah, TONS of damage and got reamed on pretty good, but the armor held out for me and I lived and we won the battle.  Another on Highway, went into the town with my team, after a furious 2 minute fight it was down to myself in my 100% KV and my dad in his Dickermax against an M4A3E2, KV1s, VK3601, T-28(that little russian jobbie), Ram II....after another furious 2 minutes it was Me in my barely dinged KV and my dad in his Dickermax....If you cant make the KV1 work for you now, trust me, its NOT the tank...the 85mm is amazing, the KV1 armor is amazing and combine it with even ONE other tank and boy...OP comes to mind lol...Even platooned with my bro who only has 940eff and a T34/57, we still managed a 4W 1L streak =D  KV1 is now in my garage to stay until WG gets Toooo drunk and nerfs it...

At the end of the Day the KV1 IS the DEFINITION of a HEAVY TANK IN ITS TIER!!!!! The M103 and all the others should take a lesson.  Its armor is amazing, its RoF is amazing, its gun is amazing, the damage and pen are amazing....You play it kinda like an IS7 at T5...go out and hunt, kill, destroy, main, WIN, PROFIT!!!!  Of course, BRAINs are still required, but DO NOT be afraid to engage the enemy in the KV1...you cant really go wrong with it.

Edited by KnightFandragon, Aug 13 2012 - 14:22.

pathfinderb1 #7 Posted Aug 13 2012 - 17:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 10241 battles
  • [WOTWG] WOTWG
I love my KV-1!! Against tier 6 tanks and below- it is very effective. I have even had some luck with Tier 7 and 8 tanks. I use the 85mm gun with the rammer, binoculars, and camo net. Some may question the binocs, and camo net, but this setup works for me. I crew is up to 100% crew skills, and 65% with fire fighting/ repair/ camo skills. And this is my second crew on this tank. My first crew went to my IS. Learn to angle your armor, use cover, and wait for the battle to take shape to see where is the best place for you to use your KV-1 effectively. I also tend to travel with other tanks to give and receive support. If your KV-1 is not fully upgraded, then you will have problems. I know this from experience from when the KV-1/KV-2 was the KV (before the 7.3 update) and I thought I was invincible with it. Once I learned how to use this tanks strengths to my advantage, then I became a more effective KV driver. This tank is an awesome money/xp maker so think twice before getting rid of it. I have over 1000 battles with it with some 800 kills. :Smile-izmena:

hoom #8 Posted Aug 14 2012 - 16:42

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19171 battles
  • [JRTB] JRTB
KV-1 is tough & the 85mm is pretty strong but the tank is slow with lousy view range.
Pretty much you roll up to the front line, angle the hull & slog it out against any T5 or below and you even have a decent chance against most T6es.
Hull side shots on T7&8s will kill them up pretty quick if they ignore you.

The 85mm has enough pen, dmg & RoF to quickly eliminate any other T5, enough pen to hurt T6es & some T7s frontally at reasonable range.
Turret traverse, RoF & thick allround armor means that fast tanks are easily dealt with.

Turret is 110mm all sides & has rounded corners, only higher tiers will reliably penetrate it.
Armor has same thickness on the hull sides sides as the front & even the rear is only 5mm thinner so its really good for angling even when surrounded.

The 30 degree slopes & step on the front give slightly better strength (86.6mm LoS) but its also got driver slot & machinegun port weaknesses, while the tracks can 0dmg absorb a lot of hits to the sides.
It is a rare tank where optimal hull angle is over 30 degrees & if done right gives LoS thicknesses comparable to the turret.

Just done the maths for LoS thicknesses:
At 30 degrees: sides 150mm, front 100mm
At 35 degrees: sides 130mm, front 105.7mm
At 40 degrees: sides 116mm, front 113mm
At 45 degrees: sides 106mm, front 122.5mm

Nonetheless you should still use hard cover, hull down & things like sidescraper when you can, its not an invulnerable tank.

Fodder #9 Posted Aug 16 2012 - 21:00

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7504 battles
Dang, this thread has me seriously considering working up the Russian heavy line for scratch.  I had started on the KV-13 to avoid the KVs..

DestrosFist #10 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 05:27

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15698 battles

View PostFodder, on Aug 16 2012 - 21:00, said:

Dang, this thread has me seriously considering working up the Russian heavy line for scratch.  I had started on the KV-13 to avoid the KVs..

Dude your missing out.  The KV line, with the exception of the current KV2 is money!! Very good performing tanks and I make money with just about all of them.  The KV-1 is a real money maker for sure.  Was my non-prem bank-roller until I got a KV-5.

DO IT!

Sergant_Sawkeet #11 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 17:15

Corporal

• Players
  • 7275 battles
KV1 is so good its unfair feeling. Coming from German tree is a massive change. I tried all three guns...122 is so far my favorite. 2 to 4 kills everygame. When top tier you almost feel bad for other team. Love it and I was just grinding it for the 1S at first. may need to sell p3/4 to keep this guy its that good.

It is a bully tank. Push around lower or same tier and get steel walls (angle as stated above). Ambush higher tiers and avoid head to head with them. Speed is slow so don't get caught alone if you can help it.

Spearhead and maul stuff when top tank. Support t7 heavies when not.

hoom #12 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 23:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 19171 battles
  • [JRTB] JRTB
And yet when I'm in my other T5 tanks I don't especially fear KV-1s :Smile_harp:
Sometimes they are particularly stubborn to kill but mostly they seem to be driven by typical drongos -> easy kill.

supershutze #13 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 15:19

Major

• Players
  • 4507 battles
I would think you play it kinda like you do with the Maus: Like a damage sponge, soaking fire for the rest of your team, spearheading an assault, or closing a chokepoint. Don't have a Maus though, so I could be wrong. I do have a KV-1 however, and I do know that it has great armor and when top of the list can abuse that armor superiority to do the things mentioned above. I've had very successful games where I just parked myself in a chokepoint(properly angled of course) and just said "I'm not moving, Come at me Bro"
If you are not top of the list, you can still support your other heavies, try to flank, aim for weakpoints, track the enemy, basically do anything you can to give the enemy a really bad day. I kept a IS-4 permatracked for 4 minutes back when it was still a tier 9 :Smile_trollface-3: . And then our Object 704 finally showed up.

9nines #14 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 16:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29871 battles
  • [JAGZ] JAGZ
Kv1 57mm vents rammer gld 100% crew = armored machinegun bunker of doom. Shoot weakspots and watch lowes, t34s and kv5s even cry. You will make bank everytime. 33+ rpm will scare everyone. Had a platoon of 3 kv1's with 57s and we tore from one side of ruinberg to the other with 99rpm in a platoon lol tore a t34 apart in 15 secs

ooble #15 Posted Aug 24 2012 - 16:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 4062 battles
I got the kv-1 but so far i don't like. I'm thinking of pressing onward to the KV-2...
but without the turret and 85mm that might be too much of a slog.
please tell me the IS-7 is worth it and how long does it take to get there without spending any more gold except to keep premium always up.

update: i didnt notice the special regarding some soviet tanks on atm so yeah I'll go straight to KV-1s
I got the KV-1 engines (obviously because they are r route to the KV-1S), suspension and the 112mm and it's fun now. I'm a kind of very fat sniper lol.

Edited by ooble, Aug 24 2012 - 19:45.

9nines #16 Posted Aug 24 2012 - 19:12

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 29871 battles
  • [JAGZ] JAGZ
ooble ive played is7 in clan wars for RNTP and its godly!!!!

rayman49 #17 Posted Aug 24 2012 - 19:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 9543 battles
  • [U_P_A] U_P_A
Best....tier.....5......period

KnightFandragon #18 Posted Aug 25 2012 - 18:45

Major

• Players
  • 4603 battles
Official verdict on the KV1 playstyle?  Get a T5 battle, Press RRR, PROFIT!  This tank has got to be the easiest mode tank in this game now.....

Edited by KnightFandragon, Aug 25 2012 - 18:45.

kournikova #19 Posted Aug 26 2012 - 22:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 6586 battles
now i miss my KV-1, sold it right away to make room for the discounted KV-1S

good tank, great armor