Jump to content


SOMUA SM Heavy Tank


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Thenoob1234 #1 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 10:17

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 15720 battles
  • 784
  • [AOG2] AOG2
  • Member since:
    12-04-2011
http://mainbattletan...ky/somua-sm.jpg

In competition with AMX50 project, the SOMUA company attempted to develop a tank to meet the demand for a heavily armed vehicle: the Char SOMUA SM, in the sixty tonne weight class like the AMX50. The tank imitated the German King Tiger in basis design, with a hull based off of the Tiger II. The tank was to be armed with a 100mm main gun with an occilating turret like the AMX 50 100.

The SOMUA SM tank could be a very likely competitor as a French tier 8 heavy. Like the AMX 50 100, it would be armed with a 100mm gun, but it would be more armored than the AMX and have a new suspension system. It would still be a very squishy, fast heavy, for use in support and ambush roles. It would probably be eqquiped with a 4 or 6 round autoloader, depending on game balance.

So what do you think? Is it a potential tier 8 premium? Post comments and feedback if you would like.

Thundercracker #2 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 10:19

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 12051 battles
  • 180
  • [9-PDH] 9-PDH
  • Member since:
    05-22-2011
Hmmmm i dont know, i believe the amx 1948 is going to be the tier 8, and i think that he doesnt have an autoloader. Its possible but maybe as premium tank?

Thenoob1234 #3 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 10:33

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 15720 battles
  • 784
  • [AOG2] AOG2
  • Member since:
    12-04-2011

View PostThundercracker, on Aug 15 2012 - 10:19, said:

Hmmmm i dont know, i believe the amx 1948 is going to be the tier 8, and i think that he doesnt have an autoloader. Its possible but maybe as premium tank?

View PostThenoob1234, on Aug 15 2012 - 10:17, said:

Is it a potential tier 8 premium?

I would like it to be so. All the other countries have tier 8 prems, why not French?

Thundercracker #4 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 10:34

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 12051 battles
  • 180
  • [9-PDH] 9-PDH
  • Member since:
    05-22-2011
Yeah, a auto-autolader premium tank would be awesome!

iamablocker #5 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 12:29

    Captain

  • Players
  • 9092 battles
  • 1,818
  • Member since:
    02-02-2011
The Somua SM would probably be a Lorraine-esque vehicle- when it was still at T8.

Perfect platform for the 90mm DCA but meh performance with the 100mm.

God_Of_Death_EX #6 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 12:34

    Major

  • Players
  • 5969 battles
  • 2,174
  • Member since:
    11-20-2011
T8 prem with auto loader is a bit unfair to players who grind their tanks to get a autoloader tank
in this case you can simply BUY a tank with autoloader without paying any effort
so what is the use of grinding the french tree?

cheesellama #7 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 12:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 5673 battles
  • 9,487
  • Member since:
    06-05-2011

View PostThenoob1234, on Aug 15 2012 - 10:17, said:

http://mainbattletan...ky/somua-sm.jpg

In competition with AMX50 project, the SOMUA company attempted to develop a tank to meet the demand for a heavily armed vehicle: the Char SOMUA SM, in the sixty tonne weight class like the AMX50. The tank imitated the German King Tiger in basis design, with a hull based off of the Tiger II. The tank was to be armed with a 100mm main gun with an occilating turret like the AMX 50 100.

The SOMUA SM tank could be a very likely competitor as a French tier 8 heavy. Like the AMX 50 100, it would be armed with a 100mm gun, but it would be more armored than the AMX and have a new suspension system. It would still be a very squishy, fast heavy, for use in support and ambush roles. It would probably be eqquiped with a 4 or 6 round autoloader, depending on game balance.

So what do you think? Is it a potential tier 8 premium? Post comments and feedback if you would like.

...

Does anyone ever look at the future tech tree plans anymore?

Posted Image

SuperJaws100 #8 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 13:31

    Captain

  • Players
  • 18670 battles
  • 1,406
  • Member since:
    06-07-2011

View Postcheesellama, on Aug 15 2012 - 12:41, said:

...

Does anyone ever look at the future tech tree plans anymore?

Posted Image


Wait, so I can skip the wretched D2 and B1 eventually? And what is the 28/32 PzKpfw. 38 H (f)? A TD version of the PzKpfw38H 735(f)?!?!?!

ket101 #9 Posted Aug 15 2012 - 14:03

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 18441 battles
  • 9,406
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M
  • Member since:
    01-10-2011
From the WoT wiki, the 28/32 is "rocket-launchers (Panzerkampfwagen 35H(f) mit 28/32 cm Wurfrahmens)"  I believe the 35 is a typo.  But a rocket equipped tank?  Didn't think they were going to put rockets in.

B1 isn't wretched.  I've done quite well with it.  The gun is better than the B2's, which is essentially the same vehicle.

mucklavee #10 Posted Sep 09 2012 - 03:54

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 5031 battles
  • 151
  • Member since:
    08-19-2010
oh i got a question when the amx m4 line is split from the amx autoloader line will the amx m4's get more armor?

Theodore #11 Posted Sep 09 2012 - 04:28

    First lieutenant

  • Beta Testers
  • 884 battles
  • 516
  • Member since:
    12-05-2010

View Postmucklavee, on Sep 09 2012 - 03:54, said:

oh i got a question when the amx m4 line is split from the amx autoloader line will the amx m4's get more armor?

Nah, you won't get any sufficient armor until M4/49.

http://forum.worldof...vy-tank-branch/

Edited by Theodore, Sep 09 2012 - 04:29.


mucklavee #12 Posted Sep 10 2012 - 07:42

    Sergeant

  • Beta Testers
  • 5031 battles
  • 151
  • Member since:
    08-19-2010
cool ty mate not the info i wanted to hear about the m4 1945 but thank you for the linky :Smile_Default:

Billymays #13 Posted Sep 20 2012 - 00:54

    Major

  • Players
  • 10606 battles
  • 4,193
  • Member since:
    11-17-2011

View PostThenoob1234, on Aug 15 2012 - 10:17, said:


Is that a panther hull with panzer IV running gear and the oscilating turret off of a lorraine? o.o

Gasboy #14 Posted Oct 01 2012 - 12:11

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 13258 battles
  • 894
  • Member since:
    07-23-2011

View PostGod_Of_Death_EX, on Aug 15 2012 - 12:34, said:

T8 prem with auto loader is a bit unfair to players who grind their tanks to get a autoloader tank
in this case you can simply BUY a tank with autoloader without paying any effort
so what is the use of grinding the french tree?

Two things.  Replace autoloader with heavy/td/arty and see how your argument holds.

Second.. Remember that premiums are better than stock tanks in the tier and class, but worse than elite tanks.  So if you want a quick way to try out an autoloader, get the premium.  If you want a good one, grind it.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users