[GUIDE] : The Type 62 Chinese Light Tank.

Type62 Type 62 light tank chinese premium guide tips review

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

Poll: Type 62 (436 members have cast votes)

Vote Hide poll

Energy #1 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:11

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7388 battles

POPULAR

Posted ImageGuide for the Type 62 Chinese Light Tank. Posted Image

http://img12.imagesh...5859/type62.png

Posted Image Table of Contents:

• Quick Overview
• Diagnostics
• Review
• Crew
• Equipment
• Modules
• Ammunitions
• Consumables
• Pros/Cons
• Game-play tips
• Personal thoughts

--------------------------------------------------

Posted Image Quick Overview:

• Currently, the only Chinese light tank in World of Tanks, it brings about mixed reviews after its inception into the North America server on 2012. The tank developed in the early 1960s by China North Industries Corporation, known as Norinco. Being brought into service officially in 1963, and has served over 59 years, now still in service protruding into our new millennium despite being created more than half a century ago.
Some people may have heard about the Chinese heavy tank, which has been restricted only to the Chinese World of Tanks servers. Its name, WZ-111 denotes its industrial designation, the type 62 also has one, it is known as the WZ-132.

Posted Image Diagnostics

Posted Image
• With 25mm of hull frontal armor, 50mm of turret armor and 690 hit points this tank sure isn’t a brawler like its big brother the, Type 59. In fact, if you play it like a medium tank, I’m sure most of you will agree with me after a purchase, it goes down fast, real fast.
• But with a 21.05t body, relative slow turning rate and a par-engine, you can’t play it like a dedicated scout either. With the max top speed of 50km/h, and a much larger profile, suicide-base rushing even with luck on your side will result in a swift and fast death.

http://img28.imagesh...9180/tank1z.png

• As seen here, the profile of the Type 62, and Type 59 are actually very similar, the tracks also both turn at 45 deg/sec, which translates to fast, but not fast enough for this light tank to rush.

Posted Image Review:

• So you may ask, “Andrew, then what’s the type 62 good at then, if it’s not a light tank, nor a medium tank?” Well, the answer to that is a question. Does it have to play like a conventional light tank, or a medium tank? It’s neither a light tank, nor a medium tank, but it sure must be something. It yells not fast enough, and not powerful either, so what it can be? It’s a little flexible support.

• The term "playing tanks wrong," can be related to many things. However, the first thing that pops into my mind, is playing the style of the tank wrong. Come on, admit it. We’ve all seen rushing artilleries and heavy tanks relaxing at corners eating s’mores.
Which, is exactly, what I’m seeing so many Type 62 drivers do. Plain and simple the tank playing style they’ve adopted for it is wrong. Playing the tank, like some other tank they’ve got in their garage, and just like artilleries, rushing Prokhorovka’s field of death, finding these little mistakes, and correcting them, can polish that tank into its true potential.

Posted Image Crew:

• I think crew is a good way to start. Now, for many people who’ve seen the Type 62’s video on Youtube published by Wargaming, labelling the Type 62, somewhat like the Chaffee, as a scout. The video is linked below.

• I would agree, and disagree to that statement. Scouting, the tank’s view range is 390m. The profile is only a tiny bit smaller than the Type59, coupled with the 10m better view range than the Type 59. I believe scouting can be effective at certain selective times, however, if the tank was purely used as a dedicated scout. Get a Chaffee. Really. It’s one tier lower, its smaller, faster, has a better default view range and still packs a punch.
But where I agree to the video is it's play style.  If the type 62, was close in terms of playing style to any other tank currently in the game. I would say it is the “most” similar to the Chaffee. Hence, the crew skills I believe can be quite similar to that of a Chaffee driver.

Commander Posted ImagePosted Image (Also the radio operator):

1. Sixth Sense. As for a light tank who has 690hitpoints, this skill can be a life-saver. Sixth Sense allows the commander to “feel” if the tank has been spotted, within 3 seconds of the spot. Great skill to have.
2. Recon. As a flexible tank, you want to really want to take anything you can get, advance in all directions. You’re a unique tank, however not specialized, flexibility is key. With an increased maximum view range, it will complement the equipment’s I will propose below.

GunnerPosted Image:

1. Snap shot. This is where the tank diverges from the Chaffee, normally Designated target would be chosen at first, however, I would recommend Snapshot. It just allows for a much smoother operation on the go.
2.  Designated target. 2 more seconds visible time. Beautiful. Remember you get plenty of experience just by spotting enemies and letting teammates kill. Not to mention it will help the team, placing you of course in a better result. Get it.

DriverPosted Image:

1. Clutch Braking. I CANNOT stress more about the priority of this skill. This tank’s turning rate is horrendous, off paper. That’s right. Really, that’s the word I’m going to use. Its actually 45 deg/sec, but it becomes a drag when you try to circle at an average encountering range, and they just track(turret + hull movement) your tank without effort. Remember your turret isn’t like the Type 59, so if they hit you with an AP, even at frontal turret armor, it will pen more than most of the time. Not to mention, sometimes it takes two hits to de-track an enemy tank, far too many to be comfortable.
2. Off-Road Driving or Smooth Ride. This is the point where I would equally suggest both these skills. Of course if you can get all 3 (Clutch Braking, Off-Road Driving and Smooth Ride) that would be wonderful, however, at this intersection, I would recommend and say, look you’ve play enough games on the tank after the 1st skill. You be the decider, for a more firepower-style or mobility-style approach to upgrade.

Loader:Posted Image
1. Camouflage. According to the World of Tanks’s Wikipedia, this tank is quite prone to ammoracks. However just remember that light tanks do not break camouflage on the move. They have the same camouflage multiplier for a mobile/ stationary body. Hence, “every little bit helps.”
2. Safe Stowage/Repairs. Not too many good choices here left other than Safe Stowage and repairs. I would recommend both of them. The choice is yours.

- Oh yes, just a note. The Captain title on Chinese tanks are spelled incorrectly. "Captian" chow mein! My, makes me hungry.

Wargaming video link:

Posted Image Equipment:
• Quite a selection, it braches into two different directions. I would recommend two fittings. One that is more scout-based, and one that is more firepower-based.

“Firepower-Fit”
1. Medium-Calibre Tank Gun Rammer. -10% loading time, off an already lighting reload speed gun. Turns this little roach into a real, “ass-shredder.”
2. Vertical Stabilizer Mk 1. The +20% accuracy during movement and turret rotation is absolutely a saint. Helps with peek-overs, peek-a-boos, drive-bys, rushes, flanks, and counter-scouts. Wonderful.
3. Ventilation. 5% increase, a good all-round boost. Good complement to the flexibility of this tank.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

“Scout-based fit”
1. Binocular Telescope. +25% view range for a stationary vehicle up to 500m is self-explanatory for this fit.
2. Coated Optics. +10% view range. Same thing as above. However, just a note. Contrary to belief, the maximum spotting range is not 500m for tanks. The physical limit is actually 445m. However, more view range will mean better values to spot targets under camouflague, or behind cover.
3. Camouflage Net/Vent. This is where you choose your own path, have a feel of the tank, and learn how you play it. If you’re always on the go, which is a good thing, perhaps the camouflage net may not be so beneficial.

http://wiki.worldoft...mouflageNet.png or http://wiki.worldoft...Ventilation.png

• If you’re a more passive player, then go with the second fit, if you like to be more on the move, exploiting opportunistic advantages take the firepower-based fit. Bear in mind, do not go Rambo on other tanks. When I mean “firepower-based” I mean, be that asshole, who takes 2 shots and runs away then suddenly appears behind you.

http://wiki.worldoft...skill_small.png Modules:

http://img266.images.../3125/tankx.png
Turret
Spoiler                     
Gun
Spoiler                     
Engine
Spoiler                     
Suspension
Spoiler                     
Radio
Spoiler                     

http://wiki.worldoft...skill_small.png Ammunitions:
• 47 shell capacity, very much enough. Fit to your liking, keep a few HE to de-cap. Default I believe is a 38:9, AP:HE ratio. Not bad, I would stick with it.

http://wiki.worldoft...skill_small.png Consumables:
Standard: (For the average player) -I use this, just more balanced, and doesn't burden my credit income too much.
Small repair kit, Small first aid kit, Manual fire extinguisher.

http://wiki.worldoft...uishersIcon.png

Premium: (For those who have enough credits) -A little faster, although fire extinguisher is also very important.
Quality oil, Small repair kit, Small first aid kit. (Note: Quality oil costs 5,000 per use)

http://wiki.worldoft...lityOilIcon.png

http://wiki.worldoft...skill_small.png Pros/Cons:

Advantages:

• Good credit earning ability

• Great rate of fire

• Low profile

• Good relative penetration

• Good DPS (damage per second values)

• Fast turret traverse speed

• Good accuracy on the move, with equipments.

Disadvantages:

• Average view and radio range

• Armour? You mean cardboard?

• Large profile when compared to other light tanks.

• Poor acceleration and top speed of 50km/h

http://wiki.worldoft...skill_small.png Gameplay tips:
1. Like the Chaffee do not, suicide rush. The speed is frankly just not satisfactory for rushing. Plus you’re relatively large in terms of light tanks. Not that fast, and you have 690 hitpoints. Do the maths.

2. First two minutes, is an observation period. Sit down, relax, watch the map, look for breaks, look for potential areas for you to go to, possibilities. Use that flexibility to your advantage. You could flank, you could snipe an unsuspecting group, you could scout, or even perhaps become a watch on an empty area on the map. Patience is crucial. The time will come for you to engage, it’s just when.

3. Be an anti-scout. For the first period of the game, otherwise known as the “early-game” don’t feel bad if all the lines are well established, to just sit and stay at base. No need to force yourself to trundle to the front line. The longer you keep those artilleries alive, the more they can dish out.

4. Stall. This my friends, is a very powerful thing. Stalling. If you can stall an E100, making him point his turret at you, waiting for you to pop out, then you’re effectively deactivating that heavy tank. He isn’t moving, he isn’t attacking, his firepower is wasted. In this way, you’re effectively in one aspect, standing toe-to-toe to the heavy tank, rendering both of you in stasis. Because he is the higher value target, you’re positivity contributing to the team’s progress automatically.

5. Don’t go conventional routes if you can. In each map, there are usually routes that people normally follow. For example the hill route in Manlinovka. You are not a front line tank, if you go there, you will get shot, although it a very simple concept, the reason behind it is, you just don’t have the hitpoints to brawl at almost any level.  If a tank is looking at you, normally it is best to disengage, regardless of its tier. You have 690 hitpoints in the game. Position yourself in a lonely spot, where no one is expecting you. That’s when you fire 1-2 shots, and run away. 690 is very limiting, one shot, “there goes down 350” you’re already half health.

6. Solo. The type 62, is good in wolfpacks, just like its brother the type 59. However, what I’ve noticed is that it is a great soloist. Due to your flexibility, and the amazing ability to zip across the map, providing aid of different sorts. The type 62, is lovely when you play conservatively, yet aggressive when needed. You are a man of your own decisions. Not like the Maus which is restricted most of the times when it chooses a line, that it must go forward or stay, since it is too slow to go back. You can change your mind, move anytime. Hell, go around defences, even perhaps take a few shots in the air to get tank’s attention, and then run away, delaying their motives.

7. This brings me to the, “Be an Asshole approach.” To be honest, the more you piss off your opponent the better. I’m not joking, be that little annoying fly that buzzes around, shooting people for little damage, spotting tanks in hard cover and being a general pain in the ass. Give the opponent pressure, if you take a shot at an unsuspecting heavy tank that is under fire, he will have more areas he has to focus on returning fire to, giving him pressure.

8. Fortify lines. If there is a break or a gap in the team’s line, relocate yourself. Be an extra eye for enemy movements. The type 62 is a support tank for the most part. Especially in the early game.

9. Mid-late game assault. This is the time where the type 62 is able to dish out some real damage. Lines have thinned, more breaks are available, and tanks are more isolated. Now the time to be that asshole to the maximum has come. Its time to jump from one play style such as  a scout, to another, like an aggressive metal slinger, back to a scout again. Use that flexibility. The map is truly yours to roam freely(to an extent).

10. Last tip, is to remember tank locations. Tanks that have been lit up should be memorized. It can aid decisions greatly. -From cresting a hill performing a flank against a heavy tank that was facing north from the south. Or a safe entry position into the enemy lines. Location memorization is very important and will help you more in lights than other tank types.

http://wiki.worldoft...skill_small.png Personal thoughts:

As a huge fan of the Type 59, I didn't hesitate to purchase the Type 62. The tank looks like its brother, the Type 59, and I would of thought it would of excelled in one specific area gameplay-wise. However, it's the flexibility of this tank that truly shines.

The problem with this tank for many players, I believe is that it conflicts with what once were perfect techniques crafted from 1000s of battles in medium and light tanks. However, this tank will fail if you play it like a light tank, and it will also fail as a medium. Its something unique, and different. I guess give it some love and time and you'll grow into it. Who knows what dragon may lie beneath its great walls.

Personally, I am unsure if it is worth the price in the giftshop, honestly a buff would be nice, however time will tell. Let us experiment. Please share your experiences, let us hear what everybody else thinks.

Goodluck to all of you,

http://wiki.worldoft...es_porkIcon.png "Gan bei!" -Andrew(Energy)

Edited by Energy, Aug 17 2012 - 16:05.

Drmurda #2 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19040 battles
good stuff. Had to learn this the hard way when I bought the tank.... almost started to hate it... Still don't like the tier 10 matches it gets in tho :DDDDDD

_Snuggles2Death_ #3 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13673 battles
Nice guide +1, Removing the speed governor seems to be a better choice than quality oil

Zebra21 #4 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:29

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15892 battles
Nice effort. +1

DOMlNO #5 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 17634 battles
Great job on the write up, I've picked up several pointers I'm going to try out. Thanks. +1

War__Pickle #6 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11814 battles
  • [BETAS] BETAS
Great Job!

Too bad this wasn't around when I got it ;)

But I worked it out and am having a blast in this tank :D

I just love the WG vid and watching how it zips around the battlefield, LOL :Smile_smile:

Edited by Basic_Infantry, Aug 17 2012 - 14:38.

amazingronaldo #7 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:38

Captain

• Players
  • 14949 battles
  • [IA] IA
Great post! +1

I will try some of these tips with mine and see how I do. Thanks!! :)

9braker #8 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:46

Captain

• Players
  • 18106 battles
i totally agree and its mm should be lowered to t9 max has it really not a scout its good tank thow.

Smallbore #9 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19237 battles
I bought mine when it came out and tried to play it like a scout (as advertised), I quickly learned to hate this slow, fragile tank.  I haven't played it in 4-5 days out of frustration.  I will go back and read through your "guide" and see if I can change my luck with this particular tank.  
Thanks for taking the time to post a very well done guide, +1

Edit - The tier 9-10 battles are still unacceptable however you look at it though IMO.

Edited by Smallbore, Aug 17 2012 - 14:47.

Energy #10 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 14:49

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7388 battles

View PostDOM1NO, on Aug 17 2012 - 14:32, said:

Great job on the write up, I've picked up several pointers I'm going to try out. Thanks. +1

Oh wonderful, hopefully the type 62 can rise in just like the type 59. :)

View PostBasic_Infantry, on Aug 17 2012 - 14:35, said:

Great Job!

Too bad this wasn't around when I got it ;)

But I worked it out and am having a blast in this tank :D

I just love the WG vid and watching how it zips around the battlefield, LOL :Smile_smile:

Absolutely, watching it buzzing around being a pain. Quite something.

View Postamazingronaldo, on Aug 17 2012 - 14:38, said:

Great post! +1

I will try some of these tips with mine and see how I do. Thanks!! :)

Remember, if you get the chance platoon with others ;D

http://www.globalsec.../tank1-50th.jpg

Quite something Chinese tanks in a pack.

slayer6 #11 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 17:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14561 battles
  • [PSYCO] PSYCO

View PostType10MBT, on Aug 17 2012 - 14:25, said:

Removing the speed governor seems to be a better choice than quality oil

Yeah, I agree with that:  Since quality oil only boosts engine power by 5% and does not affect turret rotation speeds (unlike 100-Octane), I would go for the cheaper, more powerful Removed Speed Governor - I turn it on when I need to get to top speed or when I'm heading into a fight.

Energy #12 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 17:37

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7388 battles

View Postslayer6, on Aug 17 2012 - 17:09, said:

Yeah, I agree with that:  Since quality oil only boosts engine power by 5% and does not affect turret rotation speeds (unlike 100-Octane), I would go for the cheaper, more powerful Removed Speed Governor - I turn it on when I need to get to top speed or when I'm heading into a fight.

Very valid point, I would somewhat agree, just noteworthy that the engine does take damage. Although I personally have not seen how long the boosted speed last until the engine becomes damaged, I would think a choose between the two would be up to the driver.

Shigure #13 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 20:07

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 14811 battles
Use the Speed Governor only for short bursts and you won't have a problem. When leaving a troubled area or moving into a flanking position. Just remember to turn it off after your movement is done.

Energy #14 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 03:16

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7388 battles

View PostShigure, on Aug 17 2012 - 20:07, said:

Use the Speed Governor only for short bursts and you won't have a problem. When leaving a troubled area or moving into a flanking position. Just remember to turn it off after your movement is done.

Then I would agree absolutely, however that is if you want to sacrifice the fire extinguisher for the removed speed governor's +10% speed at times. What do you think, is it worth it ? I really think it boils down to how you play the tank, some fits will suit players better than others.

Kritdonkulus #15 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 03:45

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31821 battles
  • [DICE] DICE
The tank is great I use it more as a harasser and passive scouter. I totally agree with the 6th sense for commander but would suggest getting cammo on the other crew members first since it works on the move for light tanks. When a match starts I go overlook an area of high traffic hiding in a bush. I use very stabilizer, cammo net and binocs. With Max spotting distance I spot with and should they be over 300m away I harass with impunity. Remember they don't know how big of a round they just bounced so you can cause a lot of players to rethink their actions or delay them for a few precious seconds. Not to mention you can chip away at their HP before they get to a fight.

Energy #16 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 04:22

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7388 battles

View PostKritdonkulus, on Aug 18 2012 - 03:45, said:

The tank is great I use it more as a harasser and passive scouter. I totally agree with the 6th sense for commander but would suggest getting cammo on the other crew members first since it works on the move for light tanks. When a match starts I go overlook an area of high traffic hiding in a bush. I use very stabilizer, cammo net and binocs. With Max spotting distance I spot with and should they be over 300m away I harass with impunity. Remember they don't know how big of a round they just bounced so you can cause a lot of players to rethink their actions or delay them for a few precious seconds. Not to mention you can chip away at their HP before they get to a fight.

A harasser. Oh that is brilliant, fits the tank's description well. Heavy enough for the light to attack, yet not strong enough to be too aggressive, a harasser. Absolutely, I agree with your, "Remember they don't know how big of a round they just bounced so you can cause a lot of players to rethink their actions or delay them for a few precious seconds." That is exactly what i'm talking about in tip #7 too.

Perhaps if there is enough comments, I might add a section for other people's reviews, tips and thoughts in spoiler bars, this is great stuff. +1'ed

Adarr #17 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 04:30

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6169 battles

View PostEnergy, on Aug 17 2012 - 14:11, said:

7. This brings me to the, “Be an Asshole approach.” To be honest, the more you piss off your opponent the better. I’m not joking, be that little annoying fly that buzzes around, shooting people for little damage, spotting tanks in hard cover and being a general pain in the ass. Give the opponent pressure, if you take a shot at an unsuspecting heavy tank that is under fire, he will have more areas he has to focus on returning fire to, giving him pressure.

I read this brilliant guide earlier and about a 1/4 of the way into this game, this quote suddenly popped into my mind, and I started thinking this way. Turns out this is what really helped me in the end. I honestly think this is the best way to play the tank.

http://mwreplays.com...y/1QQ7ORDXQXIS/

5880 XP with the weekend triples, and an Ace Mastery badge to boot. Phew.

Energy #18 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 05:48

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 7388 battles

View PostAdarr, on Aug 18 2012 - 04:30, said:

I read this brilliant guide earlier and about a 1/4 of the way into this game, this quote suddenly popped into my mind, and I started thinking this way. Turns out this is what really helped me in the end. I honestly think this is the best way to play the tank.

http://mwreplays.com...y/1QQ7ORDXQXIS/

5880 XP with the weekend triples, and an Ace Mastery badge to boot. Phew.

Oh very nice, good playing.
Yeah, I guess its about getting use to its play style.
After all, if you think about it, if World of Tanks, only had Light and Heavy tanks, then suddenly medium tanks were introdued, people perhaps may dislike them due to "not light enough to be a light, and not heavy enough to be a heavy." Yet, give it time, and a new type of tank, the medium class will emerge. Same thing here with this analogy is that, give it time, even though it isn't light enough to be a light, or powerful enough to be a medium tank, it definitely is located somewhere on World of Tank's arbitrary hierarchy.

Whee #19 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 06:01

Major

• Players
  • 24475 battles
Wow! Great guide! :)

kidnoob #20 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 06:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 28841 battles
  • [ICED] ICED
nice GUIDE you have!!!

Also tagged with Type62, Type, 62, light, tank, chinese, premium, guide, tips, review

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users