Tips: M18 Hellcat

Tips Operation Crew-skills

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Random Poll (140 members have cast votes)

What was your favorite Tank Destroyers Tech Branch?

1. United States TDS (90 votes [64.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.29%

2. German TDS (20 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Russian TDS (5 votes [3.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

4. French TDS (1 vote [0.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.71%

5. British TDS (guessing) (1 vote [0.71%] - View)

6. I don't know (6 votes [4.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

7. Hate TDs (1 vote [0.71%] - View)

8. Love em all! (16 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

What would you consider for the M18 Hellcat?

1. Awesome tank! (68 votes [48.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.57%

2. It's great (35 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. it's ok (20 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. don't like it (3 votes [2.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.14%

5. I Don't Know (6 votes [4.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

6. Wish it were better.(example: wish it could actually go 60 MPH ingame :P ) (8 votes [5.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

Vote Hide poll

Warkid139 #1 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 16:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I just got the M18 Hellcat with some extra free xp and cash, I was wondering if you give me some tips on how to use it and what kind of skills, perks, equipment would be Ideal for this type of Tank Destroyer.
Any kind of Info you can provide will be useful!

Thx for viewing, participate in the polls above and enjoy WoT

5_Stars #2 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 16:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
The way the vehicle was originally meant to be deployed was in shoot and scoot role. It's not meant to take on the enemy up close and personal. Although it's so fast that sometimes I catch myself playing it as a scout which is bad. All in all I love the M18. Just play it as a heavy support vehicle and you should be fine.

Warkid139 #3 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 16:09

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Post5_Stars, on Aug 17 2012 - 16:07, said:

The way the vehicle was originally meant to be deployed was in shoot and scoot role. It's not meant to take on the enemy up close and personal. Although it's so fast that sometimes I catch myself playing it as a scout which is bad. All in all I love the M18. Just play it as a heavy support vehicle and you should be fine.

thx alot!

DinkyDau #4 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 16:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I use the gun rammer, binocs and camo.  I use mine as a sniper mostly, depends upon the situation at any given time.  Elite it and enjoy fighting it.  My M 18 is a keeper..

dukewolf #5 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 16:33

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
like Dinky I use the ram, binocs and camo.  my first skill on these guys is camo.  stay back and snipe with it.  it also has very good gun depression so use terrain to pop up and down.  make sure to move laterally or arty will zoom in on you.  use the speed to go from map side to map side to reinforce a crumbling flank or be in a position to reset the cap should a flank die.  Remember you NO armor.  might as well be dudes riding motorcycles carrying a big gun for all the armor you have.  don't get in a position where you are the best target. other than that, don't give up on the tank until you have it fully upgraded.  without the upgrades it really sucks.  But it gets a lot better.  I kept this tank when I moved on to the 25/2. the speed is deceptive.  Don't let the tank trick you into getting out in front of everyone else.

warrends #6 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 16:45

Major

• Council of Armored Forces
  • 0 battles

View Postdukewolf, on Aug 17 2012 - 16:33, said:

like Dinky I use the ram, binocs and camo.  my first skill on these guys is camo.  stay back and snipe with it.  it also has very good gun depression so use terrain to pop up and down.  make sure to move laterally or arty will zoom in on you.  use the speed to go from map side to map side to reinforce a crumbling flank or be in a position to reset the cap should a flank die.  Remember you NO armor.  might as well be dudes riding motorcycles carrying a big gun for all the armor you have.  don't get in a position where you are the best target. other than that, don't give up on the tank until you have it fully upgraded.  without the upgrades it really sucks.  But it gets a lot better.  I kept this tank when I moved on to the 25/2. the speed is deceptive.  Don't let the tank trick you into getting out in front of everyone else.

Exactly. What he said. Over and over again.

- Good gun for its tier
- Paper armor
- Do NOT get out in front
- Snipe from behind
- Use your speed
- But don't let your speed lure you into going out in front
- But DO let your speed allow you to keep an eye on your own base and run back to reset as necessary, not something that just any tank has the speed for
- Remember that you have TERRIBLE hull and turret traverse, so if you get caught 1-on-1 by a T-50 or 50-2, you WILL die, as they will just circle you to death

Very fun tank, with some great advantages and some major disadvantages as well. Drive it carefully and you will thoroughly enjoy it.

BTW, same equipment for me: Rammer, camo net and binocs.

ultra1437 #7 Posted Aug 17 2012 - 16:45

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles

View Post5_Stars, on Aug 17 2012 - 16:07, said:

Late-game, it CAN play an impromptu-scout, with appropriate time to accelerate.  

As far as skills go, if you have one secondary complete, with a partial second (as most of my crews do), i'd respec them to:

Commander:  jack of all trades, camo
Gunner: Snap shot, camo
Driver: Off-road King, smooth ride
Radio: Relaying, camo
Loader: Safe stowage, camo

Keeps you invisible, yet mobile.  Jack of all trades because gunners/drivers LOVE to die, i've rarely had the commander die.  Relaying for long-range shots.

Equipment: Rammer, optics, and toolbox (because vents aren't an option).  No camo net, you will be shooting, but usually from far enough back that it won't matter about the net.  Optics because you keep your view range on the run (open top tanks don't lose view range when moving, AFAIK).  Rammer because why not? 21.05 rounds/minute needs to be faster.

I personally run the 76 M1A2 on this tank, and platoon with clanmates/friends who run the 90.  Paired up, there isn't much that's not tier 9/10 that will live long against them working in tandem.  I personally stay closer than i should feel comfortable during combat, but i also keep moving.  If i stop, i'm usually dead, and that isn't good for the team.  When i'm platooned up, i let the 90mm hellcat sit back and cover me as i move up to draw some enemies out, if my bait gets taken, then we stomp it, if not, we go elsewhere and try again.

Warkid139 #8 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 00:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles
Thank you all so much for your advice! I'll use it ALL ingame, thx again

Enjoy WoT!

Deadeye031 #9 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 17:51

Sergeant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View Postultra1437, on Aug 17 2012 - 16:45, said:

Late-game, it CAN play an impromptu-scout, with appropriate time to accelerate.
As far as skills go, if you have one secondary complete, with a partial second (as most of my crews do), i'd respec them to:
Commander:  jack of all trades, camo
Gunner: Snap shot, camo
Driver: Off-road King, smooth ride
Radio: Relaying, camo
Loader: Safe stowage, camo
Keeps you invisible, yet mobile.  Jack of all trades because gunners/drivers LOVE to die, i've rarely had the commander die.  Relaying for long-range shots.
Equipment: Rammer, optics, and toolbox (because vents aren't an option).  No camo net, you will be shooting, but usually from far enough back that it won't matter about the net.  Optics because you keep your view range on the run (open top tanks don't lose view range when moving, AFAIK).  Rammer because why not? 21.05 rounds/minute needs to be faster.
I personally run the 76 M1A2 on this tank, and platoon with clanmates/friends who run the 90.  Paired up, there isn't much that's not tier 9/10 that will live long against them working in tandem.  I personally stay closer than i should feel comfortable during combat, but i also keep moving.  If i stop, i'm usually dead, and that isn't good for the team.  When i'm platooned up, i let the 90mm hellcat sit back and cover me as i move up to draw some enemies out, if my bait gets taken, then we stomp it, if not, we go elsewhere and try again.

Don't bother with the 76 if you can equip the 90. the 90 fires fast enough and it does double the damage of the 76, not to mention it pens more. It'll go right through the lower front of any of the tier 7 heavies.

If you just started training  start with camo, the tank needs to be invisible to live and it will be quite invisible with a camo crew and camo net.

for equipment, camo net, binocs and rammer. sure the net and binocs don't help on the move but if you can find a nice big bush to hide behind, they'll never see you coming till it's too late. Many a tiger driver who crossed my path can attest to that.

For tactics there's a few ways to go. The typical hide in a bush, which is very good with the net and binocs and the shoot and scoot. The best tactic of scoot and shoot is, if arty is not a problem, find a small hill where you can use the awesome gun depression to drive up, shoot and pull back to reload. It is a great tactic for this tank and stopped the germans cold during WW2. The small size of the hellcat makes it very hard to hit if it's scoot and shooting. some heavy drivers have never even gotten a shot at me while I whittled them down.

In fact, here's the video of Hellcats during WW2 doing the shoot and scoot.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SIoJTF8y7b0

A third method is to use the Hellcat's speed to try to flank the enemy. Keep an eye on your minimap so that If heavies are engaged at a corner, you can try to swing around the other side and get a rear shot at the enemy. This is especially useful in urban environments. Combined with the 90mm, you'll make short work out of the rear of anything tier 7 and down and even tier 8s can't ignore a hellcat in their rear.

It really is a contender for greatest tank at Tier 6. If played right, it just devestates everything.

Edited by Deadeye031, Aug 18 2012 - 17:52.

Spectre12078 #10 Posted Aug 20 2012 - 08:33

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
Reality? Even with the game engine limitation of 72kph,the Hellcat could get up and go. In reality this thing was as agile as a T-50/-2. In reality it had a powered turret.  Sure it had no armor,you sacrificed that to have a fast hard hitting tank.

It would rush up to an enemy tank,blast it once or twice in the ass,run off before the tank could spin its turret around.

Had it had its nerfs removed and its artificial handicaps removed,I would say this could be the best tier 6. But until then,the VK3601 and SU-100 are better.

Wolfpack_0313 #11 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 04:09

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles
The Hellcat is great but suffers horribly from lackluster track rotation.

StandardToast #12 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 04:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles
I got the Hellcat ASAP when it first rolled out, I loved it. I had alot of replays for it but they dont work due to they being outdated to the current patch. :Smile_sad: (soo many good games I had to delete...)

Heres how I set up my Hellcat when I got it elite:
Rammer, Binos, and Net. I trained my crew on camo except for the driver, he learned clutch breaking which made it a beast of a tank .

I no longer have my Hellcat due to its -2 deg/sec nerf on the final suspison.

If you ask me, that is what broke the tank, it cant get away from dangerous situations like it used to. I thought 2 degrees wouldnt be that bad but... it was bad if you ask me.

The only way I even replicate what the Hellcat used to be before the nerf is by using a 100% crew, driver have clutch breaking @ 100%, and 100 octane gas. Even then I still didnt feel like it was the same tank (I have a suspicion they increased its ground resistance when they nerfed it)

But please don't let my musings disuade you grinding the Hellcat, it is a good tank. Just always rember your armor is outclassed by French light tanks before you decide to engage targets.

Best of luck;
Toast

Wolfpack_0313 #13 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 05:09

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostStandardToast, on Aug 28 2012 - 04:46, said:

I got the Hellcat ASAP when it first rolled out, I loved it. I had alot of replays for it but they dont work due to they being outdated to the current patch. :Smile_sad: (soo many good games I had to delete...)

Heres how I set up my Hellcat when I got it elite:
Rammer, Binos, and Net. I trained my crew on camo except for the driver, he learned clutch breaking which made it a beast of a tank .

I no longer have my Hellcat due to its -2 deg/sec nerf on the final suspison.

If you ask me, that is what broke the tank, it cant get away from dangerous situations like it used to. I thought 2 degrees wouldnt be that bad but... it was bad if you ask me.

The only way I even replicate what the Hellcat used to be before the nerf is by using a 100% crew, driver have clutch breaking @ 100%, and 100 octane gas. Even then I still didnt feel like it was the same tank (I have a suspicion they increased its ground resistance when they nerfed it)

But please don't let my musings disuade you grinding the Hellcat, it is a good tank. Just always rember your armor is outclassed by French light tanks before you decide to engage targets.

Best of luck;
Toast

Truth ^

I also bought a Hellcat right away, and I paid the gold to add permanent camo because I loved the tank so damn much I never planned on getting rid of it.

After the epic nerfing of the Hellcat it's no longer a blast to play like it was. I still enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone, just know that you aren't getting the same brilliant TD that it was introduced as.

StandardToast #14 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 05:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostWolfpack_0313, on Aug 28 2012 - 05:09, said:

Truth ^

I also bought a Hellcat right away, and I paid the gold to add permanent camo because I loved the tank so damn much I never planned on getting rid of it.

After the epic nerfing of the Hellcat it's no longer a blast to play like it was. I still enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone, just know that you aren't getting the same brilliant TD that it was introduced as.

I also thought I would never sell it, but after the nerf I decided to sell it to help invest in other tanks I wanted to buy, re-purposed the crew to another American Tank. Though I do want to buy it back as well, maybe with the MM spread reduced the nerf might not effect it as much I hope.

Harkonen_siegetank #15 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 06:02

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostWolfpack_0313, on Aug 28 2012 - 04:09, said:

The Hellcat is great but suffers horribly from lackluster track rotation.
No it doesnt. You dont need it anyway, you're a TD.

ThatCrackRockSteadyBeat #16 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 10:58

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
it's replaced the KV-1 as my favorite tank in the game

I run nocs, camo net and a rammer. I was thinking about GLD but the aim time is so low it's not worth having less viewrange

Myshella #17 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 13:59

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
Don't be dissuaded by the whole nerf affair. It's one of the best TDs in the entire game. Anyone who thinks the incredibly minor nerf somehow killed it is only kidding themselves out of a great tank.

For my crew I went Camo then repair with sixth sense on commander. Sixth sense on your commander is a must.

KiwiMark67 #18 Posted Aug 28 2012 - 22:42

Major

• Players
  • 0 battles
When I first loaded the game after the patch that added the Hellcat, I immediately bought the Hellcat and fully upgraded it - that didn't take much because I had most modules researched from the other line (T95 in the garage).  I had bought the Wolverine at half price on a special and built up some xp on it before the patch so I didn't need to use free xp to research the tank, but I did use free xp on tracks & turret.
Within a day I had 'Ace Tanker' and I was loving that amazing TD!
I have 2 Halonen's Medals, the Hellcat can kill stuff, even tier 8 stuff!
Even with the nerfs it is still a good TD, still my favourite in fact.

I went with camo skill first - a lot of skills like 'Jack of All Trades' doesn't do much for a dead tank so I like to avoid being seen & killed.
I went with camo net, binocs & rammer - they just seemed like the logical options to choose.

My advice:
You are in a TD, act like it.
Play like you have no armour and avoid being shot at, if they shoot at you they might hit you - that would be bad!
Be sneaky and shoot into the flanks & rear of tanks that are looking at your team-mates, most of the time your shells will penetrate and do decent damage.
Use cover, fire through bushes while over 15m behind them, be that annoying invisitank!
Relocate when you need to, that is why this thing has speed!  You can snipe from one location and then quickly move somewhere else and snipe from there.

Greasel_burger #19 Posted Aug 29 2012 - 21:06

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
I moved into the hellcat for a laugh from the VK2801 being my primary vehicle.

Holy hell, this thing is a monster, God knows what it was like pre nerf. Back in those days i just saw it as 105 HE fodder for my VK,
It follows the same play style as my VK2801 except it actually has a gun. Passive scouting behind some heavies, then harassing fire. Only the harassing fire is not harassing HE rounds anymore, its 200+ damage from the 90mm.

Binocs, rammer and camo net are all musts.
So far, i'm training up sixth sense (cant wait to get it, its going to make shoot and scoot fantastic), deadeye (i actually have no idea why i'm training that), the rest is camo. (for obvious reasons)

Turret traverse and hull turning doesn't seem to crippling, unless you in a knifefight (which if you are, you've done something wrong), Just dont try shooting on the move it just doesnt work very well.

As regards its matchmaker, going against their 8's on a regular basis is not much of a pain, since the 90mm can penetrate most weakspots or sides. IS-3's and KV-4's are nasty however, since they are just outside of what you can reasonably expect to penetrate. Its to the extent, that i dont load HE shells anymore, since the 90mm is more than acceptable for any tank i can expect to meet.

The armour of course, is non-existant, however you do get plenty of WTF?! bounces from things. This tank personifies my feelings on armour, either go all the way like the KV-4, or just have none at all. HP is just enough to take a hit from most guns you'll face and not explode. Unless its artillery, at which point you explode like everyone else.

Currently sitting at 123 games, with a 63% win ratio and 267 kills. Even got a scout medal defending on Sand river assault. Because going to the centre ridge with binocs is pretty much a sure fire way to get the scout medal.

Key to success seems to be hanging behind someone, letting them spot, then unleashing the 90mm on the poor sod who shot him. later in the game the speed lets you get around flanks and cause some real pain to slower vehicles. Failing that, hiding in a bush next to some heavy cover, taking a shot, then moving into cover to reload, waiting 5 seconds for spotting to vanish, then repositioning works fine. This trick is going to be even more effective when sixth sense 100%'s.

Wolfpack_0313 #20 Posted Aug 31 2012 - 19:23

Captain

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostHarkonen_siegetank, on Aug 28 2012 - 06:02, said:

No it doesnt. You dont need it anyway, you're a TD.

That's your opinion.

As was stated by many of us, its not the same TD that it was when introduced since they nerfed it and reduced track rotation speed.

It doesn't matter if it is a TD, they do not all have the same characteristics nor should they all. In my opinion, TD's should have faster track rotation since tracks are your lifeline, especially for non-turreted TD's.

The Hellcat is fast and lightweight with thin armor and an open top. It zips around the battlefield and packs a punch with its 90mm. It's just common sense to give it good track rotation to keep its agility up with its speed. We're not talking about a T95 or a Jagdpanzer E100 here. They are TDs of a completely different nature.