How to create and view replays (and improve your game)

Replays Improvement Guide

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

pekiti #1 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 09:15

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles
This is a question I've seen a few times in the past couple of days, so I thought it might be a good idea to put this out there for newer players who don't know how (or why) to use the Replay system. A quick search of the forums didn't show any other guides for it, but it is 3 am and I haven't had any coffee yet...I apologize if this has been covered in detail elsewhere.

What is a Replay?

It's a complete video recording of an entire match that you played in WoT, showing exactly what you saw and did during the match.

How do I make a Replay?

In game, hit your Esc key, then click on Settings.
In the first tab (labeled Game), look down at the bottom of the list on the left.
You will see "Enable Battle Recording". Check this box, then click Apply. Now close the Settings window and play a match.
When you want to watch the replay, quit the game, then navigate to your World of Tanks program directory on your computer.
Your actual path might be a little different depending on your computer, but mine is C:\Games\World_of_Tanks\replays
In this folder you will find all of the replays you create.
Just double click on one, and the WoT game client will start and play the entire match back, just as if you were watching a movie.
You can change your camera view just like in the regular match, so you can look around and see what other tanks were doing around you while you were fighting or whatever.
The game will make replays for every match you play, until you turn off the Battle Recording check box in Settings.
Anyone who watches your replay will see exactly what you saw in the match, including the way your turret was looking and so forth.

Why should I use Replays?

Without the pressure to actually try and survive the match, you can focus on how you fought it. This will show you where you did dumb things - like thinking you were hidden behind a rock, but your turret was too tall, for example. It will also let you see what the other tanks around you were doing. Have you ever said to yourself "what happened to the guys who rushed with me"? Well, now you can see exactly what happened to them. You can also see all of the chat that went on, while you were too busy fighting to read it. (This can be embarrassing, if you realize that everyone was screaming at you to go back to the cap, and you never noticed while it was going on...)

Replays are also good for showing off the awesome games you have, where you totally dominate the battle, or you got off an amazing shot that killed a monster opponent. These are good for bragging rights, or just to remind yourself that you can have great games, even when it feels like you are on an endless losing streak.

Finally, in a replay you can see the names of players who did well (or behaved badly), which might be important to you later. I use replays to keep an eye out for exceptional players who might be worth recruiting to my clan. If you aren't in a clan, you can use replays to note which "clan tag" players are helpful/skilled and which ones are not. That might help you make a decision is someone tries to recruit you, or you decide to go looking for a clan to join some day.

What should I look for when I watch my Replays?

Imagine you are watching someone else play the tank. As he drives around, pay attention to where he tries to use cover. Is he really protected? Does he stop in the middle of an open area to try and take a shot? Does he react when artillery starts splashing around him? When he hides, turn the camera and check to see if any part of his tank is sticking thru the bushes (the gun barrel is OK, anything else is not OK). Does he drive over things he could have steered around? Is his turret looking in the right direction? Is he fighting hull down? Does he get stuck on the sides of hills or rocks? Is he trying to flank the enemy, or shooting at their front all the time? Is he aiming for the weak spots on his target, or just blasting away with Auto-Aim? Does he back up behind cover to reload? Lots of little things go into making a good player out of an average player, so be your own toughest critic. When you aren't sure what you did wrong, or how to improve, you can show the replay to others and ask for their advice.

How do I post a Replay?

You should use a third party file service, like MediaFire (etc) and just upload the replay file there. (I use a free program called Dropbox, which has a 2GB maximum storage limit when you use the Free level of the service). Then you can post a link to that uploaded file for others to download, without having to worry about broken forum links and such. Most clans have their own forum and depending on which forum program (hosting) they have, you may or may not be able to save them on the forums server directly, rather than use a third party storage service.

That's pretty much all there is to using replays. They are a great tool for the player who is serious about improving their performance, and a valuable training tool for clans who try to educate their player base.

Now go pop some popcorn, and watch the war play out for you!

Edited by pekiti, Aug 18 2012 - 09:43.

del1000700086 #2 Posted Aug 18 2012 - 09:21

Corporal

• Players
  • 3331 battles
Thankyou very much for this! I alwasys thought you have to use a 3rd party program (I wanted to make a montage) but now I know exactly how to do it!
+1 for sure!

xDiggerx #3 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 16:11

Corporal

• Players
  • 5392 battles
  • [10MTN] 10MTN
Thanks for posting this, nice summary and helpful, particularly to someone new like myself.

Question - comptuer performance - does having the recording feature on impact gameplay, frame rate, lag, etc... in matches?  Also, how large are the files for a typical match - just wondering if people leave this feature turned on all the time what kind of storage capacity it will use.  Does the game purge older files or do we manually have to go in and delete them over time?

Lastly, I see a lot of people upload useful videos to Youtube.  Can these video replays be directly uploaded to Youtube or do they need to be converted somehow?  I had considered making my own Youtube channel wihtin my current account if for nothing more than to see how I am playing now, with only a few hundred matches under my belt, versus say in 12 months with a few thousand under my belt!  I know I could do this with the replay feature, but not sure I want to store a years worth (thousands) of battles on my hard drive.

Thanks.

DeathsArrow #4 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 16:20

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21203 battles

View PostxDiggerx, on Aug 22 2012 - 16:11, said:

Thanks for posting this, nice summary and helpful, particularly to someone new like myself.

Question - comptuer performance - does having the recording feature on impact gameplay, frame rate, lag, etc... in matches?  Also, how large are the files for a typical match - just wondering if people leave this feature turned on all the time what kind of storage capacity it will use.  Does the game purge older files or do we manually have to go in and delete them over time?

The replay feature has no effect on computer performance, You won't see any lag or frame rate reduction. The files are very small and the size depends on the length of the match. A 15 minute replay is approximately 1,200 kb. Most replays are closer to 700-800 kb as most matches don't last longer than 7 or 8 minutes. The game does not purge older files, you have to manually do it. I have replays of every match I've played since the replay feature was implemented in January. I haven't checked lately, but it's probably about 5 of 6 gigabytes or replays now.

View PostxDiggerx, on Aug 22 2012 - 16:11, said:

Lastly, I see a lot of people upload useful videos to Youtube.  Can these video replays be directly uploaded to Youtube or do they need to be converted somehow?  I had considered making my own Youtube channel wihtin my current account if for nothing more than to see how I am playing now, with only a few hundred matches under my belt, versus say in 12 months with a few thousand under my belt!  I know I could do this with the replay feature, but not sure I want to store a years worth (thousands) of battles on my hard drive.

Thanks.

Replay files are not videos, which is why they are so small. Video has to be captured through the game engine using a program like FRAPS.

Edited by DeathsArrow, Aug 22 2012 - 16:21.

xDiggerx #5 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 16:35

Corporal

• Players
  • 5392 battles
  • [10MTN] 10MTN

View PostDeathsArrow, on Aug 22 2012 - 16:20, said:

The replay feature has no effect on computer performance, You won't see any lag or frame rate reduction. The files are very small and the size depends on the length of the match. A 15 minute replay is approximately 1,200 kb. Most replays are closer to 700-800 kb as most matches don't last longer than 7 or 8 minutes. The game does not purge older files, you have to manually do it. I have replays of every match I've played since the replay feature was implemented in January. I haven't checked lately, but it's probably about 5 of 6 gigabytes or replays now.

Replay files are not videos, which is why they are so small. Video has to be captured through the game engine using a program like FRAPS.

Thanks for the reply and information.  I will be turning on my replay feature for sure then.

I just tracked down your post with all the video features - very nice.  I only had time to watch the first video highlighting the Fern but I really enjoyed it.  I will be watching more.  Do you use the FRAPS program for your video capture?  Is this a free program or one that needs to be purchased?

Looking forward to more of your videos.  Thanks again.

Edited by xDiggerx, Aug 22 2012 - 16:35.

DeathsArrow #6 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 16:48

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21203 battles

View PostxDiggerx, on Aug 22 2012 - 16:35, said:

Thanks for the reply and information.  I will be turning on my replay feature for sure then.

I just tracked down your post with all the video features - very nice.  I only had time to watch the first video highlighting the Fern but I really enjoyed it.  I will be watching more.  Do you use the FRAPS program for your video capture?  Is this a free program or one that needs to be purchased?

Looking forward to more of your videos.  Thanks again.

FRAPS costs $37, but there are other options. Bandicam has a free option which does put a watermark on your videos. There are other free options as well but I like the quality I get from FRAPS so I've stuck with it.

Thanks for watching my videos, enjoy.

N00BSAIB0T #7 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 16:52

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 32675 battles
  • [BULLS] BULLS
What do you use to convert the huge Fraps file into something that can be easily uploaded to Youtube?

DeathsArrow #8 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 17:12

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21203 battles

View PostNoobSabot, on Aug 22 2012 - 16:52, said:

What do you use to convert the huge Fraps file into something that can be easily uploaded to Youtube?

I use VirtualDub, it's freeware.

Hammer56 #9 Posted Aug 24 2012 - 00:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 8997 battles
  • [KKD] KKD
Thanks Petiki, just what I was looking for.

pekiti #10 Posted Aug 24 2012 - 19:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3669 battles

View PostHammer56, on Aug 24 2012 - 00:43, said:

Thanks Petiki, just what I was looking for.

You are quite welcome . Replays get to be addictive, too.

There is also a darker side to keeping replays. Many times you are the victim of some griefer who does something they can/should be banned for - and nothing offers stronger proof than the replay of the entire battle. I have begun recording every match, and then cleaning out the folder every week to keep things tidy.

Phallen_Kerr #11 Posted Sep 30 2012 - 01:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7831 battles
  • [2NDIV] 2NDIV
Thanx for the info but when I try to load a WOT replay to convert, it says file type not supported after getting to the replay folder and trying to load it in VirtualDub...Is there something else that needs to be done?

Cheers

Civilwar99 #12 Posted Oct 09 2012 - 15:14

Private

• Players
  • 291 battles
Thank you so much! I was looking for this all over the forums and the wiki. This is so helpful.

tumblwd501 #13 Posted Oct 11 2012 - 20:57

Corporal

• Players
  • 5087 battles
  • [M-I-T] M-I-T
Thanks for the info on the replay!

DOM1NO #14 Posted Oct 11 2012 - 21:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8331 battles
  • [SU] SU
This site will let you upload the replay file, AND it will convert/upload it to YouTube for you!

http://www.myreplays.ru/

This way you can watch replays at work :)

oinkthepig7 #15 Posted Oct 12 2012 - 05:36

Private

• Players
  • 51 battles
thank you for your information, like many others I did not know about replays. now I do

BillBellamy #16 Posted Nov 25 2012 - 01:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 9323 battles
Thank you for this :)