Larger Maps

Bigger Maps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

HanZulu #1 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 15:21

Captain

• Players
  • 21283 battles
Plz WG think of larger maps. Drink :)

Arrowfoot #2 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 15:25

Captain

• Players
  • 30310 battles
  • [1_63_] 1_63_
I agree the maps are to small for the number of tanks used. I give WG full credit for making the must of the space they have, but with larger maps scouts and arty both could be more effectice. Scouts could get set up and hide and use the main gun of all scouts ARTY insteed of this suicide scouting you so offten see.

Handies #3 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 15:31

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8787 battles
  • [TF] TF

View PostArrowfoot, on Aug 21 2012 - 15:25, said:

I agree the maps are to small for the number of tanks used. I give WG full credit for making the must of the space they have, but with larger maps scouts and arty both could be more effectice. Scouts could get set up and hide and use the main gun of all scouts ARTY insteed of this suicide scouting you so offten see.
Well we are still waiting for 30v30

andypandy1996 #4 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 15:31

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 13234 battles
  • [NGA] NGA
*sigh* another one of these. The maps are 1km by 1 km. That's plenty big enough. If they make them bigger, several problems arise. (1) people with slower systems have a longer load time which means they are not in game longer, (2) The games would need to be increased to around 25-30 mins and it would be dull to sit there and wait for a draw and (3) the number of players on each side would need to be increased to at least 20 to cover routes of passage. I don't think they'll ever increase the size.

Lophat #5 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 15:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 61392 battles
no.  just no.  larger maps do primarily 2 things.  1, turn it into world of driving.  you have to drive for 2 minutes just to get started on highway as it is.  2, gives the cowards more places to run away and hide (which is the motivation for most of these requests).

ed_anger #6 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 15:50

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 13813 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

View PostLophat, on Aug 21 2012 - 15:46, said:

2, gives the cowards more places to run away and hide (which is the motivation for most of these requests).

orly? maybe people just want... larger maps with more tanks.

supposedly we will eventually get 30v30 and up to 5km x 5km maps, WG has brought it up numerous times as a planned feature. in fact they had 30v30 listed as a current feature in their advertising last year for some unknown reason, wishful thinking perhaps.

LoooSeR78V #7 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 16:01

Major

• Players
  • 21 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
SerB said , if  project "Bespredelie" will be successful, they will be able to make larger maps like 30vs30 and 45vs45, etc. But they need time.

Edited by LoooSeR78V, Aug 21 2012 - 16:42.

Capcon #8 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 16:12

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 10390 battles
  • [STAND] STAND
Since most tank combats on all fronts took place at 800 yards or so a larger make makes perfect sense, if the sight ranges were increased accordingly.

Not likely to happen IMHO.

Larger maps will only mean larger numbers of players in a single battle, nothing more.

HanZulu #9 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 16:37

Captain

• Players
  • 21283 battles
Think of the advantages!
1. Arty has to reposition to reach over map, now they reach all.

2. We don't know where the attack is coming from, scouting gets more important, now scouting is reduced to finding arty. We know on every map where the main attack is, how boring.

3. I rather have longer games with unpredictable outcome, after 1 minute currently in the game I can tell for 80% correctly the out one of a match, how boring.

Yes some tweaks would be needed. Some super slow heavies get to be a little faster, just a little bit and other minor tweaks.

For all who want boring always the same battles, they can add larger maps as separate game mode.

LoooSeR78V #10 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 16:41

Major

• Players
  • 21 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostCapcon, on Aug 21 2012 - 16:12, said:

Since most tank combats on all fronts took place at 800 yards or so a larger make makes perfect sense, if the sight ranges were increased accordingly.

Not likely to happen IMHO.

Larger maps will only mean larger numbers of players in a single battle, nothing more.
Actually SerB siad that they also could increase spotting range, if "Bespredelie" project will be successful.

Edited by LoooSeR78V, Aug 21 2012 - 16:42.

HanZulu #11 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 16:47

Captain

• Players
  • 21283 battles

View PostLoooSeR78V, on Aug 21 2012 - 16:41, said:

Actually SerB siad that they also could increase spotting range, if "Bespredelie" project will be successful.

I hope it will be doing well soon :) , I would buy a new compy if needed.

Jarink #12 Posted Aug 22 2012 - 01:27

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 7547 battles
I would settle for some maps with less unusable areas. Look at Serene Coast; nearly 1/2 of the map is useless because it's either water on the east side or the mountains on the west edge.

Koyangi #13 Posted Oct 02 2012 - 01:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19965 battles

*sigh* another one of these. The maps are 1km by 1 km. That's plenty big enough. If they make them bigger, several problems arise. (1) people with slower systems have a longer load time which means they are not in game longer, (2) The games would need to be increased to around 25-30 mins and it would be dull to sit there and wait for a draw and (3) the number of players on each side would need to be increased to at least 20 to cover routes of passage. I don't think they'll ever increase the size.
I disagree with you.

1) I would suggest a test map of 1.5km by1.5km. Either a desert or field map. Doesn't need to have as many details as other maps. Just dunes with some rock formations spinkled in or hilly fields with some tree/bush groups sprinkled in. Whatever causes the least overhead for peoples' comps.

2) Leave the time limit the same. I agree with others that scouts would now have a better chance of fufilling their intended role. Is there currently any map that cannot be scouted by a medium? Besides, someone is going to cap.

3) What? There's usually three, maybe four routes now. And if you guess wrong, doesn't take long to shift. Make the possible lanes of attack five or maybe six, and suddenly the slower, heavier tanks are gonna have to think a little harder about which way to go. Maybe have to wait for the scouts to actually do their job.

One bigger map thrown into rotation would be a good test. All other things stay the same, just a bigger desert or steppes map.

Then just see how the player feedback goes.

Edited by Koyangi, Oct 02 2012 - 01:43.

TheJackster #14 Posted Oct 02 2012 - 05:43

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 16047 battles
  • [DOA] DOA

View Postandypandy1996, on Aug 21 2012 - 15:31, said:

We have seen that it is possible to eliminate game modes on a player-by-player basis - so we do the same here... If you do not want to spend some time and thought into getting to the perfect ambush point, then you don't have to.

For those of use who dont like heavies we can bust out the scouts/lights/mediums and play big maps where our speed, size and (if this go right) our view range is usefull... In fact - in a 5 x 5 map with 30 players per side a good, fast and stealthy scout will make or break the game for your team.

We could limit high tier arty to 2000 range, so that they have to risk something to get close enough.

If draw distance was upped to 1000 - 2000m we could have the accuracy of the German guns mean something and the panzerfanzers will have a reason to stop their incessant whining (I am one...)

no.  just no.  larger maps do primarily 2 things.  1, turn it into world of driving.  you have to drive for 2 minutes just to get started on highway as it is.  2, gives the cowards more places to run away and hide (which is the motivation for most of these requests).

Again - make it an optional game mode and all is well. And for the cowards bit - I dont like heavies - i suck at them. But I do like the AMX series and do well. And my hit and run play-style is thought of as cowardly - but that is how the game is.

If we did not have different tanks with different abilities we should just have the same tank and battle from there....

CommanderLuna #15 Posted Oct 02 2012 - 07:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3183 battles
I like the idea of larger maps, not to much larger mind you, but enough to make less linear maps, and fit more people into the game.

However i feel it would require a few tweaks..

First I saw a post about cowards hiding, and I know that feel... but chances are, if he's hiding, he's either an arty or afraid to lose some cash, (as i gathered that i should start worrying about dying once i get to higher teirs..) This is what the capture point is used for :) You either win by cap, or win by drawing the coward out..

The only issue i see with bigger maps is the slow movers..if i want to drive around for extended periods of time I'll go buy Forza...or TDU.

TexPantego #16 Posted Oct 02 2012 - 07:38

Captain

• Players
  • 21332 battles
  • [JIMBO] JIMBO
Sniper tanks (with elite crews) don't really get to shine like they could in WW2.  What we have now is more an arcade game that historically accurate.

Mayhem1 #17 Posted Oct 05 2012 - 18:15

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 27733 battles
  • [MISC] MISC

View PostCommanderLuna, on Oct 02 2012 - 07:37, said:

I like the idea of larger maps, not to much larger mind you, but enough to make less linear maps, and fit more people into the game.

However i feel it would require a few tweaks..

First I saw a post about cowards hiding, and I know that feel... but chances are, if he's hiding, he's either an arty or afraid to lose some cash, (as i gathered that i should start worrying about dying once i get to higher teirs..) This is what the capture point is used for :) You either win by cap, or win by drawing the coward out..

The only issue i see with bigger maps is the slow movers..if i want to drive around for extended periods of time I'll go buy Forza...or TDU.

Then bring a smaller/faster tank, problem solved...You just want to pull up and start shooting in your slow pig...lol

Mohoao #18 Posted Oct 05 2012 - 18:52

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 14910 battles
  • [_D_] _D_

View PostKoyangi, on Oct 02 2012 - 01:41, said:

I disagree with you.

1) I would suggest a test map of 1.5km by1.5km. Either a desert or field map. Doesn't need to have as many details as other maps. Just dunes with some rock formations spinkled in or hilly fields with some tree/bush groups sprinkled in. Whatever causes the least overhead for peoples' comps.

2) Leave the time limit the same. I agree with others that scouts would now have a better chance of fufilling their intended role. Is there currently any map that cannot be scouted by a medium? Besides, someone is going to cap.

3) What? There's usually three, maybe four routes now. And if you guess wrong, doesn't take long to shift. Make the possible lanes of attack five or maybe six, and suddenly the slower, heavier tanks are gonna have to think a little harder about which way to go. Maybe have to wait for the scouts to actually do their job.

One bigger map thrown into rotation would be a good test. All other things stay the same, just a bigger desert or steppes map.

Then just see how the player feedback goes.

See there, a reasonable idea.  Try a map just a bit bigger and see how it works out.  It can always be tweaked, or removed at a later date.  +1 this idea.

Sandman1969 #19 Posted Oct 05 2012 - 20:48

Major

• Players
  • 11830 battles
  • [-AIA-] -AIA-
The least they could do is remove the red boundary line from the middle of buildings.  There are a few maps I have seen this on. Like, what's the point of doing that when there's a road behind said building?

Boxhawk #20 Posted Oct 05 2012 - 21:53

Major

• Players
  • 12979 battles

Many of the maps have so much unusable terrain that they are effectively half size.  Serene coast comes to mind.  In addition, many of the open spaces on maps are effectively useless.  The center field in Himmelsdorf for one.