Wonderful Example of a Failure to Properly Read the Minimap

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

SHISHKABOB #1 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 15:47

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 8512 battles
http://www.mediafire...6a053o7smcoll28

it's one of those games where it's a lopsided flank push. I spawn north in my S-51. The majority of our team goes hill, with a few people going tank alley. Way too few people go railroad, which is where I went at first. I see that railroad is going to fail and I also see that hill is going to push over the top. It's looking good... as long as we keep them off our cap.

The enemy tanks at their end of tank alley are defeated when the tanks from hill flank them. At this point as well, our railroad guys are dead and the enemy are pushing to our cap.

Now, our tanks at tank alley are still at OUR END of the road. They could have *easily* turn around and taken on the enemies at our cap. There was a Jagdtiger 8.8cm, a VK4502P, and some other heavy. It would have been cake. Then we would have quickly capped as the living half of their team was basically all at our cap.

But nope. Even after I point it out to them WELL before the enemy cap starts, they decide that the best thing to do would be chase down some kills and get further from our cap. The mediums who went hill realized that our heavy brothers are too simple-minded to realize what's going on, but they are too slow and not well-armored enough to take on all the enemy tanks at our cap. We lose.

So PLEASE, pay attention to your minimap! Avoid these kinds of preventable losses! This one could have been ours so easily, but it was thrown away by people who don't listen or look around them.

And you know what else: 45, 47, 47. That is all.

Edited by SHISHKABOB, Aug 21 2012 - 15:47.

StormDagger #2 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 15:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33465 battles
I prefer that you don't watch the mini-map as I'm always on the other team.  Thank you for your contribution to my credit pool.

Macjpg24 #3 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 16:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21450 battles
  • [SNRK] SNRK
The people that don't watch the mini map don't read the forums. :)

jonny_ringo #4 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 16:32

Major

• Players
  • 30383 battles
  • [RAZE] RAZE
I have my minimap as large as it can go.  I watch it constantly for flanks and holes in the red teams defense.  It's pretty obvious in a lot of games that people don't even know the minimap exists :facepalmic: It is a great tool that should be utilized more by most players.  But alas, that is why they are pub matches.

Tnater #5 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 16:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 16422 battles
  • [KFB] KFB
Preaching to the choir here, Shish.  Macjpg24 is exactly right.  I have taken to encouraging players in pubs to head for the forum, in hopes of spreading the knowledge around.  It can only help, as it has me.  But the old 'horse to water' adage keeps coming into play....

...resulting in a proliferation of horse's asses.

pyantoryng #6 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 17:01

Major

• Players
  • 14667 battles
Yesterday I had a killer match on my M4 1945 in Live Oaks that I was the one of the few guys who went to defend the base.

Guess what most of the team did...to top it off I had to do it with a damaged ammo rack and firing from like 300-400 metres.

jdlalonde #7 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 17:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23270 battles
  • [_EOS_] _EOS_
Hell 90% never read the manual. And probably 60% can,t even read.

BB_Alphawolf #8 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 18:01

Captain

• Players
  • 15721 battles
Thats naught nyce. I caunt reed.

legoo22 #9 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 18:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7127 battles

View PostMacjpg24, on Aug 21 2012 - 16:01, said:

The people that don't watch the mini map don't read the forums. :)

THIS

Sollus #10 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 18:59

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11901 battles

View PostSHISHKABOB, on Aug 21 2012 - 15:47, said:

http://www.mediafire...6a053o7smcoll28

it's one of those games where it's a lopsided flank push. I spawn north in my S-51. The majority of our team goes hill, with a few people going tank alley. Way too few people go railroad, which is where I went at first. I see that railroad is going to fail and I also see that hill is going to push over the top. It's looking good... as long as we keep them off our cap.

The enemy tanks at their end of tank alley are defeated when the tanks from hill flank them. At this point as well, our railroad guys are dead and the enemy are pushing to our cap.

Now, our tanks at tank alley are still at OUR END of the road. They could have *easily* turn around and taken on the enemies at our cap. There was a Jagdtiger 8.8cm, a VK4502P, and some other heavy. It would have been cake. Then we would have quickly capped as the living half of their team was basically all at our cap.

But nope. Even after I point it out to them WELL before the enemy cap starts, they decide that the best thing to do would be chase down some kills and get further from our cap. The mediums who went hill realized that our heavy brothers are too simple-minded to realize what's going on, but they are too slow and not well-armored enough to take on all the enemy tanks at our cap. We lose.

So PLEASE, pay attention to your minimap! Avoid these kinds of preventable losses! This one could have been ours so easily, but it was thrown away by people who don't listen or look around them.

And you know what else: 45, 47, 47. That is all.

I'm going to admit to being guilty of this. One part tunnel vision combined with one part bloodlust, mix, and serve up a call frosty mug of Defeat.

I've taken to looking at my own replays of matches that were not complete blowouts by the enemy team and paying close attention to the minimap as I watch. I'm embarrassed to say that very often it will become painfully clear that I should have been hustling my butt off to a different part of the map but was too busy, fixated on what I was doing to notice.

Not making apologies for the guys that did not turn around, but it is a hard habit to break, this thirst for the Tunnel Vision Bloodlust Cocktail.

DARKHORSE70 #11 Posted Aug 21 2012 - 19:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 9400 battles
the mini map should be glued to the screen so it cant be removed just moved about but alas they gave people the option of turning it off so they don't use it whitch sucks