t40 is the worst tank I have ever laid hands on.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

LemonWaffleZ #1 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 2304 battles
So the other day I decided I would grind my way to the wolverine since it seemed like a pretty decent tank, well everything was OK until I reached the T40, my win-rate with it is currently 21% due to the fact that I can barely help my team and I am pretty much dead weight, It gets spotted way to easily and couldn't bounce a penny if it tried. Most games I am lucky if I put in 100-150 damage before being obliterated by one shot. Can anyone help me? Any suggestions?

Markopoaso #2 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 12894 battles
  • [RTH] RTH
get SPH (the only gun that t40 works whit, but the bullet traverse speed is very low) and learn to play defensive td.
m10 line is very good and the worth IMO

Edited by Markopoaso, Aug 23 2012 - 04:34.

a_wall98 #3 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1869 battles
fully upgrade it, i gets much faster, and it has a great 76mm M1A1 gun. and it plays well at medium range like most TDs.

ShiningArmor101 #4 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:35

Major

• Players
  • 27753 battles
I loved my T40 with the 105 mm AT Howitzer M3 Gun/Cannon. Totally worth it cause that Gun/Cannon turns it into a beast. <3

Also, you're a Tank Destroyer. Why are you up close to begin with? o.O *Confused*

CO_Andy89 #5 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12456 battles
  • [SM0KE] SM0KE
Yeah, stick with it, the T40 becomes a monster with the 105mm or M1A1 76mm.

The_Choosen1 #6 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:40

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11541 battles
My fav tier 4, I can one shot even a tier 5 with the derp gun if you aim the turret...

slenderfungus #7 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:41

Major

• Players
  • 34706 battles
I kind of liked my T40.  I had intended on keeping it, but sold it for the Wolverine, which wasn't a mistake.  The T40 with the 105mm is fun to play, but the 76mm is good as well.  I played with both of them, but had more fun with the 105mm.  Do you have the camo net and rammer mounted?  Also you might want to add the binoculars.

LemonWaffleZ #8 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 2304 battles

View PostMrSuicide, on Aug 23 2012 - 04:35, said:

I loved my T40 with the 105 mm AT Howitzer M3 Gun/Cannon. Totally worth it cause that Gun/Cannon turns it into a beast. <3

Also, you're a Tank Destroyer. Why are you up close to begin with? o.O *Confused*
At no point did I say I was upfront.

CTrain #9 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:44

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18169 battles
  • [M--M] M--M
Funny I was JUST getting ready to post a replay (the site mwreplays.com is down unfortunately) of a game in my T40. Which I absolutely LOVE. I run the 76 mm cannon on it and snipe from long range with it. It is a beauty. LOVE it. I have a clan mate that swears by the derp cannon on it. So, whichever way you like it. The game I WAS getting ready to add a replay of I had 2 kills but did damage to NINE other tanks. So I whacked on 11/15 tanks in the match. It is a sweet tank. Gotta get the big gun though -- it IS a PoS before that mostly...

Edited by CTrain, Aug 23 2012 - 04:45.

LemonWaffleZ #10 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 04:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 2304 battles
Ok, thanks guys I think I'll grab the 105 as soon as I can and put a camo net on it, really don't know why I hadn't.

Octanitrocubane #11 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 05:08

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4337 battles
"t40 is the worst tank I have ever laid hands on."

OK....WHAT?!

The T40 is pretty fantastic by just about any standards.

What's good:
the mobility (yeah it isnt as zippy as the T82, but it is still pretty good)

Visibility (400m view range, Hotcha!  meanwhile the Hetz has only 260m)

Armor (first glance you would think it a paper box like the T82, but that 51mm of frontal armor is noting to scoff at even if it is 10mm less and lacking the slope of the Hetzer)

76mm M1A1 (great accuracy, great penetration, great rate of fire, and respectable damage.  If you can't figure out what to do with it, thats YOUR problem)

105mm Howitzer (the accuracy and rate of fire might suck, but if the enemy allows you to get close the 410 damage will make them regret it.  And as you can pick this up in the T82 and plays almost the same it makes for a very comfortably early grind)

Downsides to the T40?

Well it has boxy sides and the open top makes it a HE magnet, thats about it.

How to play it?
Ambush with the 105mm at close range and in cities.  Use the 105mm to support friendly tanks (you can kill many tanks with a single blow) and are mobile enough to keep up (but slightly behind).

With the 76mm play as a sniper or rear support as you can rain down a relentless barrage of AP shells making anyone dumb enough to wander into open ground easy prey.

Play like a glass cannon and this should be an easy TD to play.  You should have already picked up a good portion of how to play it from the T82.

CTrain #12 Posted Aug 23 2012 - 06:01

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 18169 battles
  • [M--M] M--M
Replay site is back online. Here's a replay of how you can use this tank effectively with the 76mm cannon...

http://mwreplays.com/replayimg/7593bcda2c3d7bbda43f04feed43353f.png

_JackFrost_ #13 Posted Aug 29 2012 - 16:08

Private

• Players
  • 9037 battles
  • [6FEET] 6FEET

View PostLemonWaffleZ, on Aug 23 2012 - 04:31, said:

So the other day I decided I would grind my way to the wolverine since it seemed like a pretty decent tank, well everything was OK until I reached the T40, my win-rate with it is currently 21% due to the fact that I can barely help my team and I am pretty much dead weight, It gets spotted way to easily and couldn't bounce a penny if it tried. Most games I am lucky if I put in 100-150 damage before being obliterated by one shot. Can anyone help me? Any suggestions?

I use the 76mm M1A1 gun, and play as support/sniper. Stay back and hide. Rammer/camo (working on binocs). I have a 54% win-rate. Getting 4 to 5 kills frequently, and lots of damage to other tanks with the fast reload.

Maps with wide open areas and trees/rocks are obviously better suited for it. Urban fighting is not.

skates #14 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 01:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4738 battles
Its one of my favorite tanks at the moment since the T82 got nerfed.  I change the gun to the 76 like most others and find it works best.  Its really a fun all around tank.  You can take a few hits, but definately dish it out.  Its one of those tanks that is under the radar for most players, but once you get it you'll be glad you did.  The trick for me is to drive it as a hybrid TD/Medium when MM is kind.

TheUDF #15 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 08:05

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 7033 battles
I've been thinking about re-buying it and transferring my old T82 crew to it (sold my T40 for the M10...kinda regretted it until the Slugger and T25 AT).

CHR157IAN_ALPHA #16 Posted Aug 30 2012 - 10:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 27459 battles
  • [L-O-M] L-O-M
So I also like the t40
http://wiki.worldoft..._front_left.jpg

Then again iI also like th lee...

http://wiki.wot.go.v...SA-M3_Grant.png

See anything similar????

NintendoKing #17 Posted Sep 02 2012 - 03:00

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3520 battles
Fully upgrade it. I used mine with the DERp gun and my grind went by pretty quick.

cactus27 #18 Posted Sep 18 2012 - 20:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32437 battles
  • [GAZOO] GAZOO
wow! where do i start!
i am by nature an aggressive tanker type 59 is one of fav tanks and i used to hate campers. wait i still do hate campers but once i raged at a guy sitting at the very farthest back corner of the map (i thought he was camping). i told him he couldn't protect our arty from behind them and he should stop camping and move up. he replied "check my stats" and i did....HOLY &^$^%$#!!!!
the guy had a win rate in his t 40 of around 60% (with almost 10k battles in it so it was no fluke) and he was one of the top rated players in wot for defense points.
so i got a t40 and contacted him to apologize and see if he would talk to me about how he plays. i also searched for his content in the forum and found some good stuff he had written.
i decided to buy a t40 and study and practice his methods. my win rate in my t40 hovers around 60 % usually 59 but this week it was 61!!

playing tips:
you MUST be in cover with a good view starting somewhere near the back.
as your team moves forward help them kill. always pick targets based on weakest first combined with quality of shot. you want guns off the field asap so killing weaker tanks first is always best in any tank but if you have a great shot at a tougher target and a crappy shot at a weaker one take the good shots. stick to that target till it's dead if you can.
if your team is succesfull and winning accross the map look for a further up position but don't get to close, if there is no bush the t40 is one of the best tanks in the game at using hills (even just gentle rises in terrain for cover, look at it from the front or side... there is nothing above the gun for your enemy to hit!! come up to the rise JUST far enough to see the top of your prey...blast him and watch his shots sail over your head.
if your team is winning one side but has lost the other... lets say your are defending a south cap area, the west side of your team is progressing toward enemy cap in the north but the east side is gone and you know there are still enemy there that may cap your base. move to the WEST side of your cap so they enemy can get to your cap without going past you, find some cover a 150 our 200 hundred yards away. facing the cap in cover wait for the enemy to approach and pick them off as they do, you can't be flanked from the north cos your team is doing well there and on your right is the back of the map. if tanks make it to your cap keep blasting, there's nothing more fun than basting tanks while watching there turrets swing back forth training to figureout where you are!. many will just sit there on your cap while you kill them or get resets until help arrives. OR if you are stuck on the east side in good cover you can pick them off as they come or if they come in group and your cover is real good let them go past and shoot the last one first. you have butt shots now and by shooting the last ones first they may not realize they're under attack till it's too late
if you team is losing bad stay in cover and kill as they come often one at time. if you run out of targets go hunting CAREFULLY. i have often won games that appeared hopeless.

equipment etc
the m1a1 is the best gun, it's combination of dmg rate of fire and accuracy are second to none other availlable.
i put a rammer on for even more rof
i use a camo net to improve the already great camo rating
i use binoculars to improve the already great vision range when there is an equipment sale again i may switch to coated optics. dunno yet
first skill for all crew...camo for sure
other usefull skills 6th sense, designated target, recon, situational awareness

kill invisible tanks, no i don't mean by following tracers although that can work. your team-mate is advancing along happily and suddenly encounters a tank or td that has been hiding in a nice bush. your team mate didn't light it till he was say 100 yards away because of the bush, even then the enemy didn't light until he shot. you are BEHIND a bush about 300 or 400 yards back of your team mate and you only see the enemy because yur team mate lit him and he can't see you! you and team-mateboth fire but it's a bigger tank or whatever and your team mate dies. you continue firing but the enemy light goes out. wait a minute... he wasn't moving he was in good cover and he knows no one can see him. DON"T MOVE YOUR GUN AND FIRE MORE! often after a few shots you get that lovely message "enemy destroyed"
so are we camping when we play this way? in a td no! not if we pick approprite position and move when advantages. if your in a tank... and your hanging back instead of being up where a tank is designed to fight get ready for a big ole helpin of cactus27 rage!!

this is by no means a complete guide and i'm not sure there is a single thought herein that is not stolen from some tanker. but by using this and other techniques i have been able to have success in the t40 (and some other tds but also i have changed my entire game play. now i know when meet an enemy in my type or other tank if i have a friendly td behind me it's better to back up and suck the enemy round the corner so my td can help me take him out. if it's tank way back in bush he should be up with me so we divide enemy fire and can flank for each other.

if want more info search the forum for content by rollogreb . also search his player profile in wot, at time of writing he was in TWENTIETH place for defence points on the na server!!

in closing the t40 REQUIRES a specific play-style...it may not be your (or my) favourite play-style. but if you can't do well in it it is because you are not playing it right. the t 40 is one of the few tanks in the game that CAN CHANGE THE OUTCOME OF A  BATTLE :Smile_veryhappy:
cactus27

i don't always play td...but when do i prefer the t40. stay invisible my friend!

idalian #19 Posted Sep 18 2012 - 23:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 21092 battles
  • [8BITF] 8BITF

cactus27, on Sep 18 2012 - 20:10, said:

in closing the t40 REQUIRES a specific play-style...it may not be your (or my) favourite play-style. but if you can't do well in it it is because you are not playing it right. the t 40 is one of the few tanks in the game that CAN CHANGE THE OUTCOME OF A  BATTLE :Smile_veryhappy:
cactus27

i don't always play td...but when do i prefer the t40. stay invisible my friend!

I agree with cactus27, (+1 for the Dos XX reference) -- he made many valid points with the T40. I myself love this tank and it's one of my most played. After 513 battles, I have a 62% win rate, 10 Top Guns, and 1 Bolter's Medal (including 4 heavies -- replay available :Smile_Default: ). Evidence that a T40 can change the tide of battle. I've been able plug happily away at unsuspecting victims from less than 200m.

I want to also add that this TD has one of the best gun arcs for a non-turreted tank. I've been in situations where a TD or M3 Lee has locked me up side-by-side, and I was able to crank my gun all the way over and still hit them in the side.

Perks I'm working on for my crew do include camo and sit awareness. Like I said in another post, 400m view range is I think *the* best for a Tier 4 tank.

The way I play: find good cover, rely on camo and view range to snipe away with the M1A1.

Keep these points in mind, give it another go and good luck!

flipwannabe #20 Posted Sep 28 2012 - 12:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4465 battles
if not for the camo value and traverse speed of the t40...i would think that it's almost on par with the mighty stug..every tank needs a different gameplay..

you just can't apply another tank's gameplay to another...

learn to adapt with every tank you played..don't get me wrong with my record..i just love playing on low tier battles than actually going up the ranks..

for me..."IN MY OWN OPINION" T40 is the best tierIV TD..

if you're a TD learn to be patient..stay on the back of the line..don't rush in..as a TD your main role is to support the front line tanks..next to the artillery..

use bushes as cover..don't peek on corners if you know there's an enemy waiting for you to pop your head off..

m1a1 is not the greatest gun..but it sure does can snipe from time to time...about 70-80% hit rate from 500m+++++ shots with 100% crew.. :)

Edited by flipwannabe, Sep 28 2012 - 12:43.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users